• 123 results
#1 Edited by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

http://redd.it/p317w

#2 Post on the front page right now. A quote from his "Jar time videos" Also, he has one hell of a rock star pose.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I believe it's spelled "Ghjeurstghmawnnn"

That is a pretty badass rockstar pose.

#3 Posted by Zephyria (59 posts) -

So I go to Reddit and find a post related to Giant Bomb. Cool! I come to Giant Bomb, post relating to Reddit relating to Giant Bomb! Sweet. :3

Also, yes that is an amazing pose.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@Zephyria: Its a infinite loop of Giantbomb!

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

He said that? He's right - convenience is everything.

An effective way of punishing piracy without inconveniencing customers wouldn't go amiss either though. I do believe people have a responsibility to pay for something if they want it. However, as soon as the tough approach makes the pirated version in any way better than the legit option then it becomes counterproductive and a complete waste of time and resources.

#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

I always knew this day would come.

#7 Posted by Elyk247 (366 posts) -

Everything he said is correct. That quote hits the nail right on the head.

#8 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Reddit is one of the worst sites on the internet.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@Jimbo:

#10 Posted by rmanthorp (3891 posts) -

Duder's right!

#11 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@oatz said:

#12 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

He's completely right.

#13 Posted by BlastProcessing (912 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@oatz said:

#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

An effective way of punishing piracy without inconveniencing customers wouldn't go amiss either though. I do believe people have a responsibility to pay for something if they want it. However, as soon as the tough approach makes the pirated version in any way better than the legit option then it becomes counterproductive and a complete waste of time and resources.

Gabe Newell said the exact same thing like 5 years ago 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87pevh2Q0hg#t=3m31s
#15 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

The man should write a book

#16 Posted by Zephyria (59 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Jimbo said:

Yeah I thought I had heard a similar argument before. Great minds think alike! Or rather, good logic leads to similar results.

#17 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

This is a strange happening.

#18 Posted by Legend (2653 posts) -

You finally made it, Jeff! :P

#20 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

While the quote is not really anything that novel in our sector, it's an almost revolutionary concept that seems to resonate with a lot of people. Hopefully, that quote being at the top of Reddit will allow for some of my friends who haven't been to Giant Bomb to understand why I love this site so much.

#21 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

I can't decide on whether or not that picture is supposed to be supporting his views, or just making fun of them. I agree with the sentiment though, he has stated the case for piracy a couple of times in those jar videos, and he's right. Give people an effective and convenient platform , and they'll abide. There will always be piracy, but I'd like to think most will be willing to pay for a good service.

Netflix is a great case in point, its only recently been brought over to the UK and I've seen multiple people complaining about the selection. They would like to use the service, but in comparison to the US catalogue its severely lacking. The intent (to pay) is there, it just needs better execution. I mean a lot of well known US sitcoms/shows never see the light of day over here, despite being well received. The only feasible way some of its fan base could have viewed these shows is by committing piracy, not that I condone it, but you can easily see the other side of the equation.

@Jimbo: Agreed, although I still do run up against problems when trying to find certain shows/films, particularly when a prohibitive cost is slapped on anything that I attempt to import through legal means.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma: I agree at this point....like pirating almost seems like way more effort. With things like spotify, netflix and steam I have zero need to pirate anything. There are good legal and convenient alternatives to just about everything now days.

#23 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Jimbo said:

Was just about to mention this. And for anyone that doesn't like links...

#24 Edited by Itwastuesday (939 posts) -

Sweet! Can't wait to read all the unknowingly racist/anarchist/uninformed comments with hundreds of upvotes!

But can't we also get it trending on TWITTER?

#25 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

He's totally right. I remember a game not too long ago that came riddled with frustrating DRM and the pirated version didn't have any, so... the pirated version was superior in quality in the consumer's eyes than the commercial product. When your own release is second in quality to a hacked release... you need to fix something in your design.

Most people don't WANT to pirate. Most people are FANS of the stuff they're pirating. They pirate when they feel divorced from their content in some way, be it cost or accessibility. Mending that divorce is what leads to ending piracy.

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Yeah it's not really a new argument, it's just that the industry still often seems hell-bent on minimising piracy, when the only thing that should matter to them is maximising sales. Minimising piracy and maximising sales are not necessarily the same thing, and each calls for a different approach.

You hear Ubisoft claiming success because their piracy rates are way down since they brought in always-on DRM. That may be true, but it's also irrelevent if the price they're paying for it is less sales than they would otherwise have had. The way they keep flip-flopping on their DRM policy suggests that they themselves aren't sure about whether their approach is actually helping or hurting (personally, I suspect the latter).

#27 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

Anyone else catch the irony that the quote was taken from a subscriber only video?

#28 Posted by 1momosauky (208 posts) -

Now if Jeff only says something super pro-athiest

#29 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5382 posts) -

Awesome.

#30 Posted by SeanFoster (858 posts) -

People commenting on how great the Whiskey Media sites are put a smile on my face.

#31 Posted by EnchantedEcho (738 posts) -

Saw that was pretty cool. Why do people hate reddit around here, I find it funny and informative at times and fills up my spare time when I'm bored.

#32 Edited by Jimbo (9776 posts) -
#33 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

I understand the logic behind it, but I am not sure I can fully support those views. It's easier to just steal something and walk out of a store than to wait in a line and pay for it, but does that mean stores have the responsibility to make it easier to pay for something then to steal it? Noone is blaming stores for tagging products and using alarms, even though it could be viewed as them not trusting their paying customers.

I know that piracy is the hard reality, and if there are better ways to battle it than inconveniencing people who do pay for your product I am all for it, but it does not excuse people stealing stuff. I know it's not what he means, but people will take his comments as "See, as long as publishers make it hard for us to buy something it's ok to steal it.". Many people will rather click 10 times to get something for free, then pay $60 for it even if they can buy it with one click. Not everyone has the deep pockets or poor financial impulse control that Jeff seems to have.

#34 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

That is an absolutely fantastic quote. Jeff deserves his internet celebrity.

#35 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4309 posts) -

@EnchantedEcho said:

Saw that was pretty cool. Why do people hate reddit around here, I find it funny and informative at times and fills up my spare time when I'm bored.

People seemingly hate a lot of things around here for no reason...you get used to it

#36 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@DrFidget said:

Anyone else catch the irony that the quote was taken from a subscriber only video?

No, because they are offering the exact kind of business model he's advocating: easy to use, and worth the money.

#37 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Giantbomb.com:

• New Yorker recommended
  • Time Magazine top website
  • Quoted on the front page of reddit once

How far we've come.

#38 Posted by rawrsair (819 posts) -

Go Jeff!

#39 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

Yep, Steam is a great example where making a purchase actually saves you a tonne of effort when compared to pirating.

#40 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

Awesome, it's spot on, really.

#41 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

@Dtat: My point was more towards the fact that his advice was re-posted for free on reddit.

#42 Edited by zameer (605 posts) -

CATSSOPARONPAULATHEISM4CHANSTOLENCONTENT

In all seriousness it's nice I guess. Not a fan of their gaming forums but quite a few subreddits are awesome.

#43 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Giantbomb dot-com? What's that?

#44 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Jimbo:

Is that what Jar Time is?

#45 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Yes sir... you send jeff questions and jeff answers said questions via video and posts them. He often has some really good points. One of my favorite subscriber videos.

#46 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Yep, pretty much Jeff riffing on various subjects, games and otherwise. Oh, and proclaiming that all your parents WILL DIE!

#47 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Even though I loathe Reddit that's pretty cool I guess.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

@Demoskinos: @WatanabeKazuma:

That might be enough to get me to subscribe when I come into some money, why don't they show small previews of what that subscriber stuff is?

#49 Posted by Lazyaza (2169 posts) -

I think it's pretty sad that this sort of thing even has to be said. So many companies now build their business practices around the idea of inconveniencing consumers are much as possible out of some misplaced fear in a lack of prophets. Meanwhile the pirates just laugh their asses off and continue getting the better experience. Nonetheless awesome quote from Jeff.

#50 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

Netflix is a great case in point, its only recently been brought over to the UK and I've seen multiple people complaining about the selection. They would like to use the service, but in comparison to the US catalogue its severely lacking. The intent (to pay) is there, it just needs better execution. I mean a lot of well known US sitcoms/shows never see the light of day over here, despite being well received. The only feasible way some of its fan base could have viewed these shows is by committing piracy, not that I condone it, but you can easily see the other side of the equation.

The opposite is true for UK shows. I used to pirate Doctor Who and Skins because it would take months to a year for the episodes to come out over here, if at all.