• 58 results
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

From many past threads I have always noticed a trend with the British and Australian members and their remark on America; namely that we think we are the best. Well get off your high horse, cause we already did. America used to be the number one country but we have definitely lost that a long time ago. This is apparent to everybody but still comes off wrong.

How?

Well, the rest of you still think, that we think, we are the greatest and is where all your hatred comes from. No, we are not on some high horse thinking we are the greatest; people Europeans and anybody not in America; stop saying we think that and try to hold the moral high ground on us. You guys are the ones that are dumb now.

The following clip is from an American show in America, the entire audience agrees:

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Reasons why we can't all just get along...
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By albedos_shadow

Wow... okay?

inuyasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By inuyasha

Wait... what?

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coakroach

Australia just has inflated self esteem
Britain's pissed off that they needed you to save there asses
Nothing to take seriously mate :)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

We have to wait and see.  You are currently on probation and we will see how Obama sizes up :)

Seriously, the dislike is warranted, but not hate.  America has spent far too much of its time try to insert itself in the rest of the world.  It reached a climax with Iraq.  Hopefully the wounds that the last 8 years have caused to America by its own stupidity will finally set it on a worthwhile course.

To be fair, the rest of the 'free' world is not without its problems and far from perfect.

Bottom line, I would rather have America in my corner than China or Russia.  But I would rather have Britain, Canada and France in my corner than America.

If you could only learn how to spell properly and finally embrace metric, I could actually love you :)
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Gunner

Bill Maher is amazing.

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandeponium

To me greatest = richest.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Moon
yeah wait til this happens.
yeah wait til this happens.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

The general perception of the American's that I see here in Britain is: arrogance, attention-seeking and this phony-patriotism that makes most of us here in England want to puke. When we have an election we don't go around wearing Tshirts with our candidates name on and waving flags like it's a football match, cheering and spinning catchphrases.

Of course you could turn the other foot and say that the English are bitter and subdued. I'm not saying either one is right -- only an idiot would be ignorant to turn around and say "these ten people I see on TV represent the whole nation". I would never do that. Ever. Because I realise that you can't paint a nation with the brush of a minority.

No one in England hates America. Sure I see banter between nations, I'm not going to cry when someone says all the English have bad teeth. This is your stereotype to the rest of the world. Cry about it or do something to change it.

That aside I also see American people putting out movies, music, novels, etc. etc. that influence the world's culture in a positive way. And I don't see anyone here in England not embrace the positive things American's do. If we really were as elitist as you make us out to be then 50% of the television schedule wouldn't be bought from American media outlets, the news wouldn't constantly be dominated by US things and people would boycott anything "American" made. Which is ludicrous because a good portion of British life is hugely influenced by modern American culture.

The world is pissed because it's always been a case that some (there's that word again, not everybody) American's portray their borders as the end of the world. You can't deny that there are some people that think that. Maybe they only represent 1% of your nation. But they're still there.

The English got off their high horse many years ago.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Moon
get2sammyb said:
"The general perception of the American's that I see here in Britain is: arrogance, attention-seeking and this phony-patriotism that makes most of us here in England want to puke. When we have an election we don't go around wearing Tshirts with our candidates name on and waving flags like it's a football match, cheering and spinning catchphrases."
Because you have a queen.
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By ThomasP
mandeponium said:
"To me greatest = richest."
Greatest = Most in debt?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
Moon said:
"get2sammyb said:
"The general perception of the American's that I see here in Britain is: arrogance, attention-seeking and this phony-patriotism that makes most of us here in England want to puke. When we have an election we don't go around wearing Tshirts with our candidates name on and waving flags like it's a football match, cheering and spinning catchphrases."
Because you have a queen."
And you actually think she has any power? The monarchy is essentially a tourist attraction these days. Correct any of my factual mistakes (I never did have that much of an interest in history) but Oliver Cromwell overcame the monarchy in the 1650's to essentially render them powerless.
Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Moon
ThomasP said:
"mandeponium said:
Greatest = Most in debt?"
Greatest = Scotland

FREEDOM!!!!!
FREEDOM!!!!!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brukaoru

National pride is common among everyone in their given country. I would say a lot of Americans still think this country is #1, but people tend to generalize everyone and say we all think like that. I think national pride is a big part of every country though, it just seems that America's national pride is the one heard about the most.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThomasP
Moon said:
"ThomasP said:
"mandeponium said:
Greatest = Most in debt?"
Greatest = Scotland

FREEDOM!!!!!
FREEDOM!!!!!

"
Give me my Scotch whisky.
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThomasP

That's it! I'm letting the beavers loose.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Megalon

Honestly, I don't think MOST of the US actually thinks we're number one in anything. You're confusing the south/midwest super-republican/evangelical types with the entire country. Here on the west coast where I'm at, we're completely aware that we kind of suck balls. Don't throw all of us 'mericans in with the hicks and non-progressive thinkers, they don't speak for all of us (we just had an election that proves that).

That being said, I'm pretty sure all American agree with Bill Maher: soccer is definitely bullshit. :)

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I believe right now we are far from being the best considering the economical crisis that caused tremendous job loss

but whatever !

God bless America , the greatest country in the world  :D

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Moon
Megalon said:
" soccer is definitely bullshit. :)"
Seconded.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Megalon said:
soccer is definitely bullshit. :)"
I am totally with you , man !
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb
Moon said:
"Megalon said:
" soccer is definitely bullshit. :)"
Seconded."
Patriotic jesting between nations: It's better than slowball (stolen from another GiantBomb user [can't remember which] in a different thread).
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Megalon said:
"Honestly, I don't think MOST of the US actually thinks we're number one in anything. You're confusing the south/midwest super-republican/evangelical types with the entire country. Here on the west coast where I'm at, we're completely aware that we kind of suck balls. Don't throw all of us 'mericans in with the hicks and non-progressive thinkers, they don't speak for all of us (we just had an election that proves that).

That being said, I'm pretty sure all American agree with Bill Maher: soccer is definitely bullshit. :)"
We're number 1 in swimming!
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

While we're in this thread though I would like to pose a question to the Americans: why do you support your electoral candidate like they are a sports team?

Edit: perhaps I should add in a "why do some of you.."

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Moon

Lets just all get along

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Thrawn1
get2sammyb said:
"While we're in this thread though I would like to pose a question to the Americans: why do you support your electoral candidate like they are a sports team?

Edit: perhaps I should add in a "why do some of you..""

??? I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Not entirely sure, that is.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
Thrawn said:
"get2sammyb said:
"While we're in this thread though I would like to pose a question to the Americans: why do you support your electoral candidate like they are a sports team?

??? I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Not entirely sure, that is."

It's like a wrestling match?
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ThomasP
get2sammyb said:

It's the greatest spectator sport, ever. Greater then Football.
Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Moon
get2sammyb said:

Because they are more important than a sports team. These guys get to carry the nuclear missile buttons!
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Megalon
get2sammyb said:

I think most people do it in a "normal"-ish way: they will have a sticker on their car or a sign in their yard during the election. But after all the is done, I usually don't see a lot of this kind of stuff anymore (unless the person is too lazy to take it off said car, or whatever the case may be).

I do remember seeing on the news and at televised candidate rallies people wearing all kind of crazy stuff, like tshirts with the face of the person they're supporting on it. Honestly, I don't get that stuff either. I guess it's just to get people excited about the candidate, but it looks silly.

Despite our appearance to other nations, MOST Americans (ok, most young-ish Americans) are very apathetic to things most of the time, including our own national pride and status. I think maybe we have to be hit over the head with sports-like excitement to get us to do anything important.
Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Moon
Megalon said:
"get2sammyb said:

I think most people do it in a "normal"-ish way: they will have a sticker on their car or a sign in their yard during the election. But after all the is done, I usually don't see a lot of this kind of stuff anymore (unless the person is too lazy to take it off said car, or whatever the case may be).

I do remember seeing on the news and at televised candidate rallies people wearing all kind of crazy stuff, like tshirts with the face of the person they're supporting on it. Honestly, I don't get that stuff either. I guess it's just to get people excited about the candidate, but it looks silly.

Despite our appearance to other nations, MOST Americans (ok, most young-ish Americans) are very apathetic to things most of the time, including our own national pride and status. I think maybe we have to be hit over the head with sports-like excitement to get us to do anything important."
I actually only saw one person with a obama sticker. But If obama gave a speech where i lived id make a sign.

This is about right.
This is about right.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By get2sammyb
Megalon said:
"get2sammyb said:

Despite our appearance to other nations, MOST Americans (ok, most young-ish Americans) are very apathetic to things most of the time, including our own national pride and status. I think maybe we have to be hit over the head with sports-like excitement to get us to do anything important."
Which makes sense. Like I've said at least once in this thread already: in England we can't judge what you people see every day on the street. We can only judge what we see on TV. And then you have to hope that our nation as a whole isn't ignorant enough to assume this represent everyone. Which certainly I, and many others on this forum don't think.

Moon said:
"get2sammyb said:

Because they are more important than a sports team. These guys get to carry the nuclear missile buttons!"
The constant nuke talk is another one that gets old over here. But I see what you mean. Although I'd argue those that carry the "nukes" should should be treated with more decorum than a sports crowd that, at the end of the day, isn't a matter of life or death.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Kazona

No, most Americans certainly don't think they're number one in the world. Most people I know don't think so at least. But like the dude in the video said (no idea who it is , there are still people out there who believe that being America being the number one country is their birthright, and it's self-righteous pompous people who behave that way that get under my skin. But--and here's the important part--every country has people like that, and there will always be some people in other countries who generalize because of it. I know most people in America aren't sitting on a high horse anymore, but there are some people over here who think everyone in America is arrogant and conceited because they saw one or two people like that.

The best thing anyone can do in my opinion, is to simply not let it bother you. Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks? You know you're not conceited or arrogant. Your friends know you're not. Most other people probably know you're not. So why worry about what those couple of other people think?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb

Anyway, to steer the conversation in a slightly different direction: I'm glad America doesn't like soccer. If you guys took it as seriously as you do American Football, and given your (previous) financial status and the huge pool of talent, well, my beloved England would NEVER win the World Cup ever again. Which we probably won't anyway... but you see what I mean.

So thank you America, thank you for not liking soccer.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By skidd
StaticFalconar said:
" Europeans and anybody not in America; stop saying we think that and try to hold the moral high ground on us. You guys are the ones that are dumb now.

"
Bit of a generalisation isnt it?
"America should stop bragging that its the greatest county in the world, and start acting like it" .....hmmm

also, soccer=best sport on earth, anyone else watching the FA Cup right now?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By get2sammyb
skidd said:
also, soccer=best sport on earth, anyone else watching the FA Cup right now?
Come on Southend.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb

OH SHIT COME ON SOUTHEND. THEY JUST FUCKING EQUALISED.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By skidd

indeed, hopefully theyll do a barnsley again.....also, Forests hammerd city! good to see money isnt completely ruining the game just yet

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By Gunner

this thread reminds me of this song

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By get2sammyb
Gunner said:
"this thread reminds me of this song 
It reminds me of this one:

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pause422

Plenty of people are proud and want to say/believe their country is the greatest, not just America. It just seems people only look at America as saying they love their country, or some Americans believe its number one, it means that's how America in general is, and we're on this pedestal. It's not even close to true seeing as nearly every Country who at least has it decent to great has people that think the same thing about their country.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Meowayne
StaticFalconar said:
"From many past threads I have always noticed a trend with the British and Australian members and their remark on America;"
*sigh*
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hamz

Most tension between countries is never directed at the people specifically but rather the governments themselves. And you can't really deny that since George Bush came into power that the public image of America has suffered due to his regime's actions.

What the world really needs is a good alien invasion so we all work together!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By c1337us

I'm Australian and we're not about sledging Americans we're about sledging everyone (all in good fun of course). And I don't even like horses and the high ones are even worse.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jayge_
get2sammyb said:
"Anyway, to steer the conversation in a slightly different direction: I'm glad America doesn't like soccer. If you guys took it as seriously as you do American Football, and given your (previous) financial status and the huge pool of talent, well, my beloved England would NEVER win the World Cup ever again. Which we probably won't anyway... but you see what I mean.

So thank you America, thank you for not liking soccer."
We'll keep it up.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rowr

" You guys are the ones that are dumb now. "

LOL

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By William

wait, wat?

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By serbsta

Pffft... Nationalism = stupid. No country is the 'greatest', sorry to be a party-pooper.

Besides, if i were an American living in America now, i would get out... as fast as i could.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By William

MY COUNTRY IS BETTER THAN YOURS!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Endogene
Hamz said:
"Most tension between countries is never directed at the people specifically but rather the governments themselves. And you can't really deny that since George Bush came into power that the public image of America has suffered due to his regime's actions.

What the world really needs is a good alien invasion so we all work together!"
Have you been reading a certain comic book by any chance?