#1 Posted by Stonyman65 (2675 posts) -

I think the thread title says it all. Any tips/advice from you guys that have had your wisdom teeth out?

The dentist gave me some Triazolam (a hypnotic sedative) to take before I come in, and I'll be getting nitrous during the procedure... So I'll be pretty fucked up for a while..

So, any advice on things I should or shouldn't eat, do or not do?

Thanks duders!

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11626 posts) -

Once the pain has subsided enough for you to be able to eat solid foods, try to be careful about not getting anything lodged in those stumps in the back of your mouth. You might also wake up in the middle of the night in horrible pain because your drugs wore off, so get ready for that.

And of course, watch movies or play games with lots and lots of flashing lights.

#3 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1028 posts) -

Man that blows! I'm gonna say you should stock up on some ibuprofen. Try to only take the hard meds when pain is completely unbearable. They'll make you even more painfully constipated if you take them too often! Wish you the best.

I'd think things like caramel and potato chips are out of the question, I'm sure your dentist will give you a list of things not to eat. or he'll just tell you to go on a soup diet.

Luckily, my wisdom teeth grew in relatively straight and caused no problems, so I don't know if my advice is the best.

#4 Edited by Zeik (2364 posts) -

I got mine pulled quite a few years ago, so I don't remember much about what I did to deal with it (other than lots of ice cream), but I do remember a lot of bleeding. Like, more than you would think your body could reasonably lose and not have negative effects. So I don't know, be prepared for that.

#5 Posted by Stonyman65 (2675 posts) -

Yeah I'm getting all 4 out. The bottom right and left ones have started to break through the skin and need to be removed, so since I'm going through it we might as well take all 4 instead of just waiting for the rest and having to do it again sometime down the road. The dentist is also going to prescribe me some painkillers to take - they said take them 30 mins before the time lapse so the painkillers don't wear off.

#6 Posted by HatKing (5886 posts) -

Write the first half of a dirty joke on your tongue for the doctor to read while doing the procedure. Then, when you come to, immediately shout the punchline. Then kick back and enjoy a standing ovation, you miracle of a man.

#7 Edited by Marokai (2899 posts) -

I got all of mine removed a few years ago, it's not as bad as it sounds. Very soft foods for a few days, get a ton of rest, and make sure to take ibuprofen at regular intervals for awhile even when you don't feel any pain yet; it's better to pre-empt it than to let it start. Don't, under any circumstances, use straws or anything else that requires suction, and be very careful to not disturb where the teeth were removed. Salt water, mouthwash, etc to keep your mouth clean; just don't spit it out when you're done, carefully drain everything out with water instead.

As long as there's no complications and you take good care of yourself it's really not that big of a deal at all. Just a few days of serious downtime.

#8 Posted by markies (62 posts) -

I don't know. I had two pulled, whole procedure took like 10 minutes. Only had a slight nagging pain all day, and that was it. Guess i was lucky, but it's different for everyone :)

#9 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

Depends on whether your wisdom teeth are impacted (impacting?) i.e. growing sideways, and how. I had the sort of misfortune of one of my teeth partially erupted growing at 90 degrees and getting all up in a neighbouring tooth's grill. The downside was the tooth could not be taken out in one go (meaning he had to smash it into several pieces in order to extract it). The upside was that the remaining flap of gum flesh was sewn over the empty space the tooth once occupied, meaning dry socket wasn't going to be a thing. Then again the whole thing took at least 40 minutes to do and it was like I was in a fucking Saw movie or something. Would not recommend.

#10 Posted by blackcat0158 (40 posts) -

I've had my six and twelve-year molars removed on the one side of my mouth, and my wisdom teeth MOVED (as in transplanted. Grand total of 3 on the right side, just chillin') to fill in the gaps- so let me help with what I've picked up over the years.

- Eating anything really hot, or anything really cold will most likely cause you extreme pain while your mouth is buggered up for the first few days. I had to drink and eat everything at room temperature.
- Straws are your new enemy. They look helpful, but any sort of suction is going to be excruciating.
- Rinse your mouth often. Spitting is painful, so stand over a sink/bucket/whatever, and open your mouth and let gravity drain you instead.
- Yeah, you probably won't feel any pain- keep up on the drugs they give you. Trust me. Recovering from oral surgery hurts like a motherfucker if the drugs wear off.
-When the pain and sensitivity subsides after a week or so, and you're still healing, very gently lick the wound every once in a while. Your saliva, and the motion will stimulate it, and help it heal faster.

#11 Posted by Wolfgame (708 posts) -

wont be too bad, I mean you will be knocked out during the procedure, and after that they will give you some decent pain meds to last through recovery, I would plan to line up some dvds or movies, just very passive entertainment to take your mind off the recovery. You'll be fine though, its not as bad as people say.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11800 posts) -

I played about 30 hours of Persona 3. Hm... Perhaps that's why I liked it more than P4.

#13 Edited by Devil240Z (3324 posts) -

I had all four wisdom teeth removed at once. They knocked me out too. its basically the best high you will ever get legally. I actually wish I could do it again.

#14 Posted by ThunderSlash (1685 posts) -

I had 3 pulled out simultaneously, and all they gave me was an injection of anesthesia. I couldn't feel any pain when they were drilling into my gums, but I could feel my tooth scraping against my jaw as they twisted it about. It was a strange experience. Then afterwards I was given some antibiotics and some cotton balls. For the next 24 hours I tasted blood, but surprisingly there was little to no pain. I was able to eat around 12 hours after the procedure, since the bleeding had lessened. I think I was lucky, my face didn't swell up or anything.

#15 Edited by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

@markies said:

I don't know. I had two pulled, whole procedure took like 10 minutes. Only had a slight nagging pain all day, and that was it. Guess i was lucky, but it's different for everyone :)

I had the same experience, all they did was freeze my mouth, pull the teeth, then I went to work; no pain, no bleeding.

I bought a bunch of those liquid diet drinks and just drank those for a few days and that was the end of it.

#16 Edited by helvetica (90 posts) -

I had all four wisdom teeth out many years ago. Soft foods like boxed mashed potatoes and ice cream and pudding are delicious! My Dad also bought me some Chef Boydaree, which was pretty good. You can gum / lightly chew the ravioli, they're pretty soft.

I had some bleeding the day of the procedure, but after that it wasn't too bad, and I had chipmuck cheekies for a few days. Hope it goes well for you!

#17 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (759 posts) -

Teeth? Wait what. They're going to pull them all out at the same time? That's rough going.

I'm trying to think something from my experience that would help you, but previous posters have already covered it. Good luck and stay strong!

#18 Posted by Khronikos (67 posts) -

Very little feeling even with just a shot of lidocaine. Go for it should be fun.

#19 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

Make sure to consume every drink through a straw and smoke a ton of cigarettes during recovery.

#20 Posted by Ben_H (3342 posts) -

Don't force yourself to eat solid foods too fast or you will regret it. I waited 4 days before attempting solid food. Though for me, my teeth were in quite deep and they had to do multiple cuts. But seriously, if you want a ton of pain and an infection, rush to eat solid foods. My cousin got a serious infection because he thought it would be fine to eat some stir fry a couple hours after his surgery. He had a chunk of broccoli caught in the wound and a couple days later his whole face was swollen.

#21 Posted by slindz (130 posts) -

Man you guys had it easy. I got 3 removed, put under general anaesthetic, operation took three hours. That night I pretty much drowned in my own blood, had to throw out two pillows, quilt and sheet. Was out of uni/work for 5 days.

My friend had the exact same thing a week later and did a few things differently, he was out of work for 3 days and his swollen had subsided by day 2, mine didn't subside till day 5/6ish. He basically used ice packs on the sides of where the wisdom teeth were removed for the first 48 hours, 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Depending on how impacted your teeth are and how many you are getting removed, this may be unnecessary for you.

General Tips;
Don't rinse or spit for 24 hours after surgery. Can damage surgical area/cause blood clots. Also don't touch wound with your fingers or tongue (takes some self-control)

Keep your head elevated for 24 hours if you can, reduces swelling and bleeding.

Don't drink through a straw

#22 Posted by Winsord (1209 posts) -

@blackcat0158 said:

I've had my six and twelve-year molars removed on the one side of my mouth, and my wisdom teeth MOVED (as in transplanted. Grand total of 3 on the right side, just chillin') to fill in the gaps- so let me help with what I've picked up over the years.

- Eating anything really hot, or anything really cold will most likely cause you extreme pain while your mouth is buggered up for the first few days. I had to drink and eat everything at room temperature.

- Straws are your new enemy. They look helpful, but any sort of suction is going to be excruciating.

- Rinse your mouth often. Spitting is painful, so stand over a sink/bucket/whatever, and open your mouth and let gravity drain you instead.

- Yeah, you probably won't feel any pain- keep up on the drugs they give you. Trust me. Recovering from oral surgery hurts like a motherfucker if the drugs wear off.

- When the pain and sensitivity subsides after a week or so, and you're still healing, very gently lick the wound every once in a while. Your saliva, and the motion will stimulate it, and help it heal faster.

I'm going to chalk most of your points up to the teeth being moved. I had all four wisdom teeth out at once, never had issues with straws or heat/cold, only took the anti-inflammatory pills they gave me (had Codeine for painkillers, didn't take a single one) and my mouth was pretty much entirely healed by the fourth day. The one thing I would recommend would be to make sure to eat a fair amount before/immediately after you take anti-inflammatories. I wasn't eating very much due to the discomfort, and as a result the anti-inflammatory pills gave me not only the worst stomach-ache I've ever had, but the worst pain I've ever endured (and double that down with my mouth still being pretty much entirely messed up at that point).

#23 Edited by boysef (76 posts) -

Had all four pulled, Smoothies/yogurt/ice cream are your friend, drink plenty of water and maybe avoid hot drinks? I can't remember if those helped or hurt more. and take it easy on those pain killers they can f-you-up really fast in a good and bad way :) I had a halcyon before the procedure and I can't remember a damn thing from the moment I sat down in the chair, you'll be fine, just relax and try not to get up too fast when you come to after the nitrous.

#24 Posted by Hone_McBone (135 posts) -

Had all four removed under similar anestheisa as you mentioned, I can only remember up until the sedative kicked in. Was a little tired afterwards but apart from a bit of blood there wasn't too much to the recovery.

#25 Posted by HeinrichS_3000 (2 posts) -

Yeah I'm getting mine out in a few months. Hope it goes well for all of You too!

#26 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2690 posts) -

Here is some good advice. Take OFF all your jewelry. No chains, no rings, not ear rings, not piecrcings are allow when you are sedated. They want you naked as a baby under your cloths. Rather than have to take everything our moments before they put you in the chair, just take all the off at home.

When I went in for my wisdom teeth, I had to remove my jewelry at the office, it was a needless bother that I could have avoided had I known.

Also...it's not as bad as it sounds. Truly, your wake up a bit groggy, but your pretty much okay once you're on your feet. The stitches in your mouth will be funny too feel, your tongue will keep probing at them. The stitches feel funny when they get pulled out, zero pain...just funny feeling. Rather than eating ice cream, buy some nutrition shakes...less fat...better meal.

#27 Edited by Stonyman65 (2675 posts) -

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm heading in in about and hour so it's pretty much showtime. When I get the chance I'll get back on here and update everyone. Might be a few days though.

Thanks for all the well wishes too - it means alot.

#28 Posted by Zelyre (1175 posts) -

My oral surgeon put me under. No fuss. I did have impacted teeth, though. Just, "Sit down. Here's an IV. Count backwards and... you're out cold." My oral surgeon liked to joke around, and just as I was going under, he asked me I was sure I wanted all my front teeth pulled out.

When I woke up, I was pretty much wide awake. About as tired as I'd be on a Monday night at 11pm after a day of work. My friend was waiting for me in the waiting room, we went to get my pain killers, and I got dropped off at home where I think I played New Vegas until it was midnight.

The surgeon was good. I felt 0 pain afterwards. 0 soreness. I preemptively took a pain killer the same day that I had my teeth pulled, and that dehydrated me horribly. So, if you do take stuff, drink lots of water.

I was eating soft, solid foods like macaroni, sliders, and baked potatoes that same night. By the next night, I felt comfortable eating anything I wanted, as long as I took careful sized bites.

The most important thing is to not get food in your sockets and to wash them out to keep food out.

#29 Posted by CatsAkimbo (618 posts) -

Just make sure you have someone to pick you up, and don't leave anything in the waiting room, because you won't remember to get your jacket or whatever.

I had a somewhat bad experience during the procedure, but won't relate it to freak you out. I hear it's almost always no big deal.

#30 Posted by Marcsman (3180 posts) -

Get a prescription for Percocet's on your way out. You'll need them.

#31 Edited by Ezakael (933 posts) -

I don't have any advice really but I'm also getting them out as well in a few months. I Hope everything goes well for you!

#32 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

Treat people how you would like to be treated.

#33 Posted by Aviar (427 posts) -

Avoid straws at all costs!!

Enjoy your pain meds, they are your friend!

#34 Posted by elko84 (1062 posts) -

I wouldn't try to eat anything solid afterwards

#35 Posted by kylenalepa (117 posts) -

I was out of commission for about a week after having all four of mine cut out. I had a bad reaction to the painkillers (nausea) so I had to basically manage the pain with, like, Tylenol. It was not a particularly pleasant experience but hey, I made it.

#36 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Don't worry dude. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. You won't feel a damned thing during the procedure.

#37 Posted by Stonyman65 (2675 posts) -

Well, so much for the whole wisdom tooth thing. I took my Triazolam at 12:30 to sedate me - didn't work. An hour later at the dentist office they had me on nitrous oxide for 10 minutes at full blast as much as they are allowed to use by law. Nothing. After 6 shots of novocaine we decided it wasn't going to happen. So I'm looking into oral surgeons who can put me under anesthesia to have the teeth removed. Not sure when that will happen though.

Thanks everyone

#38 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

All I remember from getting all four of my wisdom teeth out was some very strong painkillers, Jell-O cups, and a 24-hour SpongeBob Squarepants marathon on Nickelodeon. Good luck!

#39 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (178 posts) -

when you come to, say "did you save the baby??"
nah but seriously it all depends on how good the doctor is and how messed up your teeth are, mine felt fine in a day or so

#40 Edited by joseffthered (76 posts) -

Go shopping afterward, you'll end up with some pretty interesting stuff. I did this and ending up with two books. One was the Purgatorio part of the Divine Comedy, and the other was a small book by Aldous Huxley called the Art of Seeing which I found funny because I don't think he could see very well.

#41 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Exaggerate the pain so you get good drugs.

#42 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

When I had mine pulled, it really wasn't that bad at all. Everyone made it sound way worse than it was. You shouldn't worry about it.

#43 Posted by Berserk007 (203 posts) -

Duder..you are going to be fine. I had mine out 20 years ago, with pretty much just local anesthetic, unfortunatly I had extra nerves so I got to feel all the cuts and breaks. Now days though you have more to worry about your family taping that shit and putting it online, ever see a drunk guy on heroin? You will....... Seriously though, food wise, apple sauce, yogurt, etc. Wish ya the best

#44 Edited by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

That's pretty crazy they couldn't do it with all of that.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed 4 or 5 years ago. Worst experience of my life. They put me out, woke up 3 hours later and had stitches running down the roof of my mouth. Apparently they slipped when pulling one of the teeth. They say everyone wakes up differently after being put out and even though I am a happy drunk, I woke up cussing out the entire staff. Nurse said I couldn't smoke and vividly remember telling her, "I'll smoke if I fucking feel like it." They were trying to get my wife to hurry and pull the truck around because I am a pretty loud person normally. I can only imagine how loud I was without any real control =)

What made the whole thing shittier was the pain medications weren't ready at the pharmacy and I ended up having to wait. I was so out of it and was about ready to burst into tears right there at the grocery store. Mouth was full of blood for 2 days and my face looked like I got into a fight. Ended up going back to work after like 4 days. Luckily, you only have to go through that shit once.

My advice for once you finally get around to doing it after you find a new dentist is to just stock up on some sorbet and apple sauce. Take your pills, turn on the TV or Netflix for the first day and just sleep as much as you can. If you're a smoker, they say no smoking for like a week because it can cause dry sockets, but I started smoking the next day and never had any issues with dry sockets.

Good luck!

#45 Edited by deadmoscow (262 posts) -

I think everyone here is missing the most important piece of advice: Make sure to make lots of posts here on the forums while on your painkillers. They will imbue you with an incredible amount of good sense and intelligence and you want to save that all for posterity.

I actually never got painkillers when I had my wisdom teeth out, but it was a super easy operation. I just had to rinse my mouth out every couple of hours, and I was given anti-inflammatories. Occasionally I'd take ibuprofen or something, but the pain was never very bad.