• 52 results
#1 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

If you're like me (You probably aren't, but let's just pretend for a minute) then you hate your family and you try to avoid them as much as possible. This is perhaps even more true if you're still living with them. Unfortunately, Christmas is one of those times when you're obligated to make an appearance, and if you don't buy people gifts then they get really fucking sarky about it. This is further complicated by the fact that my parents have been alive for ages (fucking ages!) which means finding them shit that they don't already own on account of their extensive combined wealth is a huge ordeal. So instead of browsing through another stupid gadget website and asking myself, yet again "but will my dad actually appreciate a huge Gummi Bear?", I turn to the Giant Bomb community, in the hope that someone who genuinely cares about this shit has found a gift that would also be suitable for my own biological relatives.

What are you buying your family members this Christmas?

We need gift ideas for:

• Fathers
  • Mothers
  • Brothers
  • Sisters
  • etc

Little help?

#2 Edited by HH (610 posts) -

we switched over to Christkindl a while ago, which makes it a lot easier, just having to buy for one person, and being able to spend a lot more on that one present. it's a lot less wasteful too. maybe your family would be open to that?

#3 Posted by MikeFerrari7 (205 posts) -

Get everyone Giant Bomb premium subscriptions.

#4 Edited by audioBusting (1535 posts) -

Bake a cake / roast ham for everyone. This Christmas I might actually try to roast ham for the family. Edit: is it roasting or baking, actually? I'm no good with these Christmas-y things because we don't really celebrate the "normal" way.

#5 Posted by JustKamToo (684 posts) -

If they are adults just give them a card, Christmas is for kids.

#6 Edited by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

Going to get my Pa a GrOpener, (bottle cap opener).

http://www.gropener.com/

#7 Edited by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

Hard to know what to get people when you know literally nothing about them. Presents are mostly to show that you care enough about another person to at least be aware of their interests and are therefore able to buy something that will at least make them go "hmm that was thoughtful of them" even if they don't end up using it a lot.

Especially for older people, a favorite food or alcohol might be a better choice than another object to clutter up their house.

#8 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

Presents are mostly to show that you care enough about another person to at least be aware of their interests.

Gross.

#9 Posted by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

I've been doing tickets to live events for the last 5 years, usually get my parents tickets to a comedy show; robin williams, jeff dunham etc, my brother hockey tickets, my sister concert tickets.

They enjoy it, they get to tell all their friends a new story, it's worked out well.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
So, you know, if that's actually the case, then a gift card's always an option. Just saying.

#11 Edited by Christoffer (1818 posts) -

Once me and my sisters became independent adults with our own disposable income we did the old gift colaboration deal. We don't accept gift from our parents but we put in money to buy them something, a bit more expensive, that they want (products, services, travels whatevers) Cause it's not like they have everything becuase they're older, it's just that they don't need more cheap crap.

So that's my suggestion. But also fancier food, wine, whiskey, coffee, cheese, chocolate might work. Personally I love to taste stuff I've never heard of before. Even if it's horrible, it's at least an experience.

#12 Edited by Pop (2633 posts) -

A giant purple dildo. That always works.

#13 Posted by Danteveli (1185 posts) -

Sending my family package with Asian snacks plus some small gifts like opera masks and traditional clothes. I'm thinking about getting "that" ring for my girl since her birthday is also on Christmas.

If you family members appreciate good alcohol its always nice to buy some fancy.

#14 Edited by Sweep (8859 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting "that" ring for my girl since her birthday is also on Christmas.

I cannot think of any kind of ring which would make a good present. Unless it's a circus ring. Everybody loves the circus.

#15 Edited by CottoneUD (230 posts) -

Lots of good advice on this thread -- giving someone "an experience" rather than more stuff that will clutter the house is always a good idea, especially for older folks. Concert tickets or something similar are always cool.

EDIT: @markwahlberg corrected. I have no wish to destroy civilization. Even though I am a Facebook Amazon cutesy internet bullshit motherfucker.

#16 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

I use Etsy for most gifts. It has all the convenience/laziness of Amazon but because most of the stuff is handmade it looks like you found something niche and special. This will only work as long as my family doesn't find out about Etsy.

#17 Posted by YoThatLimp (1908 posts) -

I got my dad a 3 hour Nascar experience which included 8 minutes of him driving one solo. I am not a Nascar fan, but man he had the time of his life. I took video and my wife edited the video with "The Final Countdown" on in the background. He STILL brags about it to his buddies and it was 3 years ago. if you can afford it maybe get them something they can do, old people already have shit they don't use.

#18 Posted by poisonmonkey (342 posts) -

Just tackled this one myself, how about vouchers for Theatre tickets, then they can watch what they want, failing that I was looking into a calendar with family pictures on it (I think Moonpig do it), quick and easy.

#19 Posted by RonGalaxy (3166 posts) -

SWEEPY, BOOBALA, THE ONLY THING YAH MOTHA WANTS FROM YOU IS GRAAAAAAND CHILDREN.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14828 posts) -

10% off all RealDoll products today. Just sayin. Put those hot cyber monday deals to use.

#21 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Alcohol and chocolates are pretty universally good gifts. Assuming they drink and have a soul.

If they already own a lot of tech things, you could always see about some of the weirder life improving devices like a streaming box, or bladeless fan, or some bluetooth thing to make something wireless.

If they know how to use their phone somewhat effectively, you can pick up some of those WiFi lightbulbs (Pretty pricey but should last you like 20 years). I've got a couple right now and they're awesome.

#22 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

Fancy food and beverages/ taking care of the general food situation for that day. At least that way it seems like you give at least one, maybe two fucks.

@cottoneud said:

Lots of good advice on this thread -- gifting "an experience" rather than more stuff that will clutter the house is always a good idea, especially for older folks. Concert tickets or something similar are always cool.

Christ on a flipping bike people, gifting is not an actual word. Facebook Amazon cutesy internet bullshit motherfuckers destroying civilization, I tell you what. Raarghareahaaksjdhgak;jsdhgkajshdgklg.

#23 Posted by Snail (8605 posts) -

If they don't have an iPad, buy them an iPad.

#24 Edited by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I'm getting my mom an ultra high powered green laser pointer. She loves to use them to mess with my dog, but the cheapo red one she had died. Hopefully she doesn't blind him...

#25 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

I'm getting my mom an ultra high powered green laser pointer. She loves to use them to mess with my dog, but the cheapo red one she had died. Hopefully she doesn't blind him...

Or start shining it at airplanes.

#26 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I'm poor so none of this will probably work for you, but this is what I got my family.

Dad: $20 gift card for Tim Hortons. The guy is literally impossible to buy for as he doesn't have any hobbies. All he does is work.

Dad's Wife: A cooking book with slow cooker recipes as she's always cooking with it. Her kids I'm just giving them $5 in a card.

My grandmother: Boxed set of Downtown Abbey. It was on sale for like $20 this weekend and she loves that time period and is always looking for things to watch on her portable dvd player so I figured I would take a gamble and go with that. Only reason I know of the show is because of the guys talking about it a while back on the bombcast funnily enough. Also a box of Whoppers as she loves them and it's been a tradition that I get her a big box each year.

Aunts/uncles: One of my aunts loves chicken bone candies and like my grandmother is something I buy her each year. The other aunt/uncle I never know what to get so I bought a big box of ice tea mix and will give it to them as a double gift. No clue if they like ice tea or not, but who knows. And for my last aunt I'm giving her a box of that ice tea too, and I have been working on fixing her computer and am going to give her an old thumb drive I have had laying around because she wants to back up some photos of family that have passed away and she is afraid she will lose the pictures.

So you can take away from that, that when you don't know what to buy someone buy them a big old box of ice tea mix, a gift card, or do things for them that they don't know how to do themselves.

#27 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Fathers: gotta give them socks. No two ways about it.

Mothers: gotta give them some sort of hand or body lotion. No two ways about it. If you're lucky, you can pick up a gift pack.

Brothers: gotta give them that Fast 6 DVD. No two ways about it.

Sisters: I don't know. A lotion perhaps.

See how easy that was?

#28 Posted by packs217 (93 posts) -

Mom, Sister: Wine

Dad, Brother: Beer

#29 Edited by Vuud (1991 posts) -

Wii U's for everyone!

#30 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

I have got my two uncles tickets to see the comedian Ross Noble live. I have a ticket too. Really, it's a present for myself and I'm dragging them along. I mean, they like Ross Noble too, but I still mainly bought the tickets because I want to go. I'm thinking of giving them two rubbish DVD's (really really terrible movies) and putting the tickets inside the case. So they'll think I've given them an awful movie then they'll open it and see the real present. That should also divert attention away from the fact that it's mainly a present for myself.

I don't know what to get for my mother. She likes unusual musical instruments, so I was thinking maybe I'd get her an ocarina or something like that, but I haven't settled on an idea yet.

#31 Posted by Optix12 (615 posts) -

The closest Ive had to an idea from them this year was today when my mom joked about my dad not being an alcoholic so stop getting the £50 whiskeys which he wont drink and get some socks and stuff instead. Im now very tempted to get £50 worth of socks

#32 Edited by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

No one ever is disappointed with booze.

#33 Posted by sarahsdad (1089 posts) -

@optix12 and @grissefar: As a dad, I can tell you that we do NOT want socks. Coffee, Liquor or some other food related item is good, if you don't have the scratch to get tickets to a show. Or buy us that movie we love that your mother hates; we can always watch it when she's out doing her own thing.

#34 Posted by mosespippy (4180 posts) -

@sweep said:

Christmas is one of those times when you're obligated to make an appearance, and if you don't buy people gifts then they get really fucking sarky about it.

You aren't obliged to make an appearance at all. Christmas is a whore for corporations to drain the last bit of savings from the masses. Choosing not to participate is a huge stress relief. Take that money all your family would spend on gifts nobody wants and go on a vacation to the Caribbean instead. Even if no one in the family gets anything it would still be their favourite Christmas ever. For everyone who doesn't go on the trip you can get them souvenirs from the trip and give it to them on New Years instead. It's probably too late to plan that for this year though. So, socks I guess.

#35 Posted by Superkenon (1433 posts) -

@mosespippy: I don't know what kind of money you think one usually spends on presents, but in no world would I ever be able to use it to fund a vacation with my "Christmas savings". And I consider myself a kinda ritzy spender when it comes to gifts. Maybe that just means I'm poor.

Also I love this notion of "don't waste money on presents. Buy a huge one for yourself instead"

#36 Edited by Sweep (8859 posts) -

@vuud said:

Wii U's for everyone!

Christmas sounds rubbish at your house!

@sweep said:

Christmas is one of those times when you're obligated to make an appearance, and if you don't buy people gifts then they get really fucking sarky about it.

You aren't obliged to make an appearance at all. Christmas is a whore for corporations to drain the last bit of savings from the masses.

Take a bath, hippy.

#37 Edited by DeadpanCakes (895 posts) -

@matt said:

I use Etsy for most gifts. It has all the convenience/laziness of Amazon but because most of the stuff is handmade it looks like you found something niche and special. This will only work as long as my family doesn't find out about Etsy.

Yep, this about wraps it up.

I also buy year old video games for little cousins and friends, because more often than not they have horrid taste and would've missed out on said games.

#38 Posted by mosespippy (4180 posts) -

@superkenon: I don't think you realize just how cheap the undeveloped world costs. You can get round trip flights and hotels for a 5 day trip to places like the Dominican Republic or Cuba for around $1200 per person. If everyone in your family is spending $500 to $700 on gifts then $1200 is not a crazy price, especially if you are planning a year in advance.

#39 Edited by Superkenon (1433 posts) -

@mosespippy: Guess I'm just poor, then. $500 would be an especially extravagant Christmas for me.

#40 Posted by mosespippy (4180 posts) -

@superkenon: I applaud you for not overspending. So many people spend more than they should. According to Business Insider, for Christmas 2011 the typical American shopper spent $704 on Christmas. It's easy to see how, with Apple always bragging about their iPad and iPhone sales during the quarter.

#41 Posted by Mister_Avatar (67 posts) -

Here's a few ideas that have worked for me in the past, I hope that they work for you.

Roku Box and 3 months of Netflix and/or Hulu+: If your parents are like mine, then there is a fairly good chance they know about services like Netflix but either have no idea how to use them or if they have they've used them with a subpar interface like a blu-ray player or smart tv integration. In either case Roku and Netflix really do make a fantastic justification for the cableless future. Just about any Roku box you buy is going to be easy to use and easy to set up and with Netflix's new line of original programming they'll be able to find tons of new shows to explore. Plus with most major retailers offering roku boxes starting at 39.99 and 3 months of netflix costing a measly 20 dollars. You can get both mom and dad this fantastic gift for under 75 bucks.

Audible Subscription: No mater who you are you probably know someone who used to enjoy reading but now spends every hour of their life either to busy or to tired to get engrossed in a real novel. Audble lets you change that. I got a membership for my sister, a Physician's Assistant, who often put in over 60 hours a week at the hospital over 2 years ago and she loves it. It gives her a chance to do the reading she used to do before her family and work life stole her free hours while she's at the gym, on her commute, or just before bed It's great.

Groupon Restaurant Outings: Groupon is a great site for those of us who like to check out new places on the cheap, but the thing it's even better at is finding fantastic deals you can use as gifts. Last year I got my parents a meal for two at a resturant that normally costs 75 bucks a plate for 50 dollars total. I tossed in a gift card to a hot tub place, and a winery tour for another 40 and whammo, you got a Romantic outing of epic proportions all for under 100 bucks. My dad still tells me how good the stake was till this day.

Also here's some advice I've found to be fairly sound int he past.

1. Combine whenever possible: Always lump couples together. Your parents, if they're like most parents I've ever encountered, probably function pretty well as a unit. Sure Dad and Mom both have "some" things they do apart, but for the most part they spend their time together. So get them something they can use together. Not only does it allow you to double up your money on one gift, but it also makes it easier on yourself by only having to get one gift not two.

2. Nostalgia doesn't just come in 8-bit: I know gamers tend to think that we have a monopoly on nostalgia, but we don't. It's a powerful tool and when put into the right hand can create some of the best Christmas moments I have ever fostered. For example: My grandmother has been widowed now for 15 years. One of her favorite memories of my grandfather is a trip she took with him to NYC in the late 80's. While there she saw the broadway version of Les' Mis among some of the other sites of the city. When she got home it was that performance, not the city, that she talked about everytime someone brought up that trip. That was until my grandfather died a few years later.Last year, when Les Mis came out in theaters I knew I needed to do something special. So I took my Grandmother to see the movie. That night I dressed up like I was going to see a real broadway performance and she followed suit. We arrived, got our goodies, and hit our seats. Several times during the movie she broke down in tears remembering that time so long ago After the show I gave her an album I tracked down of that 1980 rendition of Les Mis. I don't think I've ever seen a person so filled with emotion in my life.

3. Know your Mark: Theoretically you know the person you're buying for, use that to your advantage. Too many times people get caught up in getting things that they heard a person mention here or there and don't spend enough time trying to figure out what that person really wants. My nephew in law just had his 12th birthday and despite not being on his list anywhere. Despite him never saying a word about it. I got him Minecraft for the 360. When he opened the box I think I actually heard him squee. I know the kids around him did. I didn't know he wanted it. What I did know is that the kids likes video games and he loves lego's so minecraft should be right up his ally. Yeah you're going to miss a few times. God know I do, hard, at least once a year, but each miss makes each hit that much more impactful. At least I know they do for me.

I hope this helps. Hell I just hope someone read it. Good luck and happy holidays.

#42 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

If they are adults just give them a card, Christmas is for kids.

yeah, I do this. I get the kids stuff, Christmas is all about the kids and getting them something they wouldn't normally get to have.

If I have some extra free time throughout the year I'll make something for the immediate family members. I like doing some metalworking - so something simple they can use like a copper bowl with some simple chasing around the edge goes over pretty well. For the ones I give a single fuck about anyways.

#43 Posted by fleabeard (181 posts) -

I'm not buying anyone in my family anything. Except my daughter. Fuck everyone else.

#44 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

I'm lazy, so I just buy community booze and or coffee.

#45 Edited by CrazyBagMan (842 posts) -

I don't care about or like my family enough to buy them anything, let alone my "friends".

#46 Posted by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

@sweep said:

@triviaman09 said:

Presents are mostly to show that you care enough about another person to at least be aware of their interests.

Gross.

Then what are you asking the Internet for? Get them whatever piece of shit.

#47 Posted by Dalai (7029 posts) -

Booze actually can be a good gift, but for close family never buy your standard shit. Always pick something a notch or two above. For example, my dad prefers Jack Daniels so I would get him the Single Barrel or some other high-end whiskey. If you don't drink his gift before the holiday and can't think of some useless gadget or device, go with something a bit different like an overnight stay at a nice bed & breakfast nearby, a night at the opera or a comedy show, the full spa treatment, monster truck tickets, whatever your family is into.

If all else fails, bath salts always make great gifts. Both kinds.

#48 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

I think I'm going to get my parents gardening shit since they love gardening. That's logical, right?.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to pronounce cloche. Clo-che? Cloosh? Closh?

#49 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

I bought my mom gloves, pajamas, and socks. She's a rather simple person to get for.

#50 Posted by Sin4profit (2932 posts) -

As far as buying gifts for large families i find buying board games are useful.