Giant Bomb Community for Lady Gaga

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Steve_Ramirez

I made a really stupid facebook page devoted to the legendary Lady Gaga. The goal is to get 200,000 members to join the group on facebook. In two days, I managed to get around 50 members. 

So thats the story, but essentially that's how bored I was while in between breaks from studying for midterms.
Also, a quick note about the Street Fighter 4 update. It is awesome :)

It would be very helpful if you guys could join and help start the ball rolling too. Here's a link to the Facebook group.

-Steve
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

I made a really stupid facebook page devoted to the legendary Lady Gaga. The goal is to get 200,000 members to join the group on facebook. In two days, I managed to get around 50 members. 

So thats the story, but essentially that's how bored I was while in between breaks from studying for midterms.
Also, a quick note about the Street Fighter 4 update. It is awesome :)

It would be very helpful if you guys could join and help start the ball rolling too. Here's a link to the Facebook group.

-Steve
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

Man, I hate Lady Gaga.

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

It not like I'm a fan or anything. It''s just for fun. I actually think her music is quite good to be honest. 

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PremierOctopus

I would have to strongly disagree.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Go to some 12 year old girl website or myspace and advertise that bullshit there.
This is a mans website son.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138
NukeGoBoom said:
"Go to some 12 year old girl website or myspace and advertise that bullshit there.This is a mans website son."
Even though there are Women who use this site as well ...
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahriman22
turbomonkey138 said:
"NukeGoBoom said:
"Go to some 12 year old girl website or myspace and advertise that bullshit there.This is a mans website son."
Even though there are Women who use this site as well ..."
No women on the internet. None whatsoever... None at all.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
NukeGoBoom said:
Oh noes - pop music cannot be listened to by male adults because... because... well... my friends might think I'm GAY! And I need to conceal the truth somehow.

Grow up you fucking music elitists. Just because you think "your" music fits on a hierarchical tier above everyone elses doesn't mean you are correct. As it stands; pop music will always be infinitely better produced, written and performed because it's commercial and that's where the big bucks are.

And don't try to counter my point by claiming that the solos in your favourite rock song mean it's "so much better" - listen to a Britney Spears song on a proper sound system and you'll notice how genuinely fantastic the mixing and production is.

Even if you don't like the genre - if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your trap shut.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Suicrat

I'm not sure if this website is the best way to meet your objective, according to the numbers, there are 34 839, and at least 17 000 of those people have earned 0 points, that doesn't mean they're inactive in the forums, but still. At this website, you might get a couple signatories here and there, but I doubt you'll meet your objective.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahriman22
get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:
Oh noes - pop music cannot be listened to by male adults because... because... well... my friends might think I'm GAY! And I need to conceal the truth somehow.

Grow up you fucking music elitists. Just because you think "your" music fits on a hierarchical tier above everyone elses doesn't mean you are correct. As it stands; pop music will always be infinitely better produced, written and performed because it's commercial and that's where the big bucks are.And don't try to counter my point by claiming that the solos in your favourite rock song mean it's "so much better" - listen to a Britney Spears song on a proper sound system and you'll notice how genuinely fantastic the mixing and production is.Even if you don't like the genre - if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your trap shut."
Just because it one of the higher musical earners, doesn't mean that it's better produced, written, mastered or performed.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Gmanall
ahriman22 said:
"turbomonkey138 said:
"NukeGoBoom said:
No women on the internet. None whatsoever... None at all."
Yes, every one on the internet is above 40 years old and is super fat and has a pic of a girl on there image. That is what I drill into my head.  (Not: I am none of those I am handsome filthy rich oil producer that lives in a desert palacel)
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turbomonkey138
Gmanall said:
"ahriman22 said:
"turbomonkey138 said:
"NukeGoBoom said:
No women on the internet. None whatsoever... None at all."
Yes, every one on the internet is above 40 years old and is super fat and has a pic of a girl on there image. That is what I drill into my head.  (Not: I am none of those I am handsome filthy rich oil producer that lives in a desert palacel)"
So can i has money ?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:

Grow up you fucking music elitists. Just because you think "your" music fits on a hierarchical tier above everyone elses doesn't mean you are correct. As it stands; pop music will always be infinitely better produced, written and performed because it's commercial and that's where the big bucks are.And don't try to counter my point by claiming that the solos in your favourite rock song mean it's "so much better" - listen to a Britney Spears song on a proper sound system and you'll notice how genuinely fantastic the mixing and production is.Even if you don't like the genre - if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your trap shut."
Just because it one of the higher musical earners, doesn't mean that it's better produced, written, mastered or performed."
Do you really want to get into this discussion, because I'm happy to dominate it.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138
get2sammyb said:
"ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:

Just because it one of the higher musical earners, doesn't mean that it's better produced, written, mastered or performed."
Do you really want to get into this discussion, because I'm happy to dominate it."
I'm happy to read it .. i like forum pwnage
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

Wouldn't you make a dedicated Facebook to someone who had real talent?

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inkeiren

What makes music important is innovation, enjoyment, and replay value. I think you all agree with that.

For example, soulja boy. Soulja boy is not a good musician because, while he does inspire people to dance and such, he does not do it to the same degree that other acts do. When people listen to Soulja boy they don't go "Oh my god who is this guy I want to get his album as soon as possible". When an artist that truly moves people comes along, you have big fans. Try and tell me of one person who followed soulja boy cross country like Deadheads did. They won't. Why? Because people LOVED the Greatful Dead. They were a good band. People LIKE Soulja boy. Soulja boy is not innovative, and his replay value, due to the fact that his music is based on being silly and inane, low.

I think that's a fair assessment. (By the way, I'm not positing my opinion on Lady GaGa due to the fact that I have not listened to enough of her material to come up with an answer.)

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ahriman22
get2sammyb said:
"ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:

Do you really want to get into this discussion, because I'm happy to dominate it."
Fine, but not here since it wouldn't be very nice. I would be happy to continue this via PM
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:

Fine, but not here since it wouldn't be very nice. I would be happy to continue this via PM"
Well I'll keep it simple regardless using the example of Britney Spears record: in relation to other albums at the time, few other records would be able to compete dynamically (i.e. in terms of the "loudness" and "punch" of the record); simply put, a Britney Spears record would have been more "upfront" than 99% of other records at the time. This is down to both equipment used, the studio recorded in and producer enlisted. It also comes down to the mixdown -- the mix needs to be spot on, with each nuance of each track being crafted perfectly into it's sonic area (via the means of EQ, and we're talking TINY frequencies here) to ensure that each element of the mix is clear. We're also talking alarmingly complex processing via the compression of, certainly, the bass elements which ALWAYS pump prominently in a Britney Spears record.

I'd also argue that in terms of songwriting, Britney Spears was such a hit in the 90's because of the layers in her tracks, the pacing of the track, the introduction of the hook, etc. There's a lot more to writing a good pop song than people assume -- melody, interplay, movement, etc... the song has to be dynamic, it has to catch interests, build moods, peak and trough, it has to be recognisable without being repetitive, it has to hook the listener and make them want to play again, it has to be memorable. See The Beatles for memorable melodies, which remain relevant today. See Motown's legendary writers for hit-crafting... in principle "pop" songs sound simple, but they are in fact more diverse than any other genre.

I'd finally suggest that the session musicians hired to play on said Britney Spears record are probably just as talented, if not significantly moreso than your favourite band.

You'd be right in criticising what certainly is a robotic method of creating music, but at the end of the day, when I read how people think "pop is talentless" it rubs me up the wrong way -- it's more like a football team - yes Cristiano Ronaldo is Manchester United's star player; but he'd have won nothing if Vidic and Ferdinand weren't such excellent defenders.

Applied to this sense -- Britney Spears is the figure/performer in which a TON of background work is carried out. Producers, mixers, musicians, songwriters -- all of the HIGHEST calibre write hits. And they're hits because they're accessible, cleverly arranged and brilliantly produced.

Consider what's going on in a pop song -- at some times you have guitar, electronic drums, acoustic drums, samples, bass, synth bass, brass, orchestra, synth, piano, whatever -- the mixes are far more complex than any other genre of music in general, the range of sounds are far greater, and the scale of the production is basically better.

It's ironic how the "rockers" always talk about how difficult to "play" their favourite solo is -- I wonder how many of you people have programmed good synth patches. It's like learning a programming language all on its own.

So yes, I'd conclude pop music (or commercial music) is indeed better produced, written, mixed and mastered.

Feel free to discuss.
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

holy crap, i didn't think that this would lead to such a detaild discussion. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By CL60

Lady Gaga is terrible  /end of discussion.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Systech
get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:

I dislike her because I think her music is generic shit. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By weltal
Red said:
"Man, I hate Lady Gaga."
Yeah, pretty much this.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

CL60 said:
"Lady Gaga is terrible  /end of discussion."

Lady Gaga's pretty good. I liked Poker Face.
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Steve_Ramirez
Emandudeguyperson said:
"CL60 said:

Lady Gaga's pretty good. I liked Poker Face."
her music is just fun and catchy.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60
Lemon said:
"Emandudeguyperson said:
"CL60 said:

Lady Gaga's pretty good. I liked Poker Face."
her music is just fun and catchy."
No it's not catchy at all, it's just shit. Mainstream music is mostly shit in these days anyway.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ahriman22
get2sammyb said:
"ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"ahriman22 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"NukeGoBoom said:

Fine, but not here since it wouldn't be very nice. I would be happy to continue this via PM"
Well I'll keep it simple regardless using the example of Britney Spears record: in relation to other albums at the time, few other records would be able to compete dynamically (i.e. in terms of the "loudness" and "punch" of the record); simply put, a Britney Spears record would have been more "upfront" than 99% of other records at the time. This is down to both equipment used, the studio recorded in and producer enlisted. It also comes down to the mixdown -- the mix needs to be spot on, with each nuance of each track being crafted perfectly into it's sonic area (via the means of EQ, and we're talking TINY frequencies here) to ensure that each element of the mix is clear. We're also talking alarmingly complex processing via the compression of, certainly, the bass elements which ALWAYS pump prominently in a Britney Spears record. I'd also argue that in terms of songwriting, Britney Spears was such a hit in the 90's because of the layers in her tracks, the pacing of the track, the introduction of the hook, etc. There's a lot more to writing a good pop song than people assume -- melody, interplay, movement, etc... the song has to be dynamic, it has to catch interests, build moods, peak and trough, it has to be recognisable without being repetitive, it has to hook the listener and make them want to play again, it has to be memorable. See The Beatles for memorable melodies, which remain relevant today. See Motown's legendary writers for hit-crafting... in principle "pop" songs sound simple, but they are in fact more diverse than any other genre.I'd finally suggest that the session musicians hired to play on said Britney Spears record are probably just as talented, if not significantly moreso than your favourite band. You'd be right in criticising what certainly is a robotic method of creating music, but at the end of the day, when I read how people think "pop is talentless" it rubs me up the wrong way -- it's more like a football team - yes Cristiano Ronaldo is Manchester United's star player; but he'd have won nothing if Vidic and Ferdinand weren't such excellent defenders.Applied to this sense -- Britney Spears is the figure/performer in which a TON of background work is carried out. Producers, mixers, musicians, songwriters -- all of the HIGHEST calibre write hits. And they're hits because they're accessible, cleverly arranged and brilliantly produced.Consider what's going on in a pop song -- at some times you have guitar, electronic drums, acoustic drums, samples, bass, synth bass, brass, orchestra, synth, piano, whatever -- the mixes are far more complex than any other genre of music in general, the range of sounds are far greater, and the scale of the production is basically better.It's ironic how the "rockers" always talk about how difficult to "play" their favourite solo is -- I wonder how many of you people have programmed good synth patches. It's like learning a programming language all on its own.So yes, I'd conclude pop music (or commercial music) is indeed better produced, written, mixed and mastered.Feel free to discuss."
I'll ignore the grammatical errors for this time. You must have a very close minded approach to metal since you don't take into consideration anything I said. I list to JAPANESE Metal, which is far different from the American/English crap in terms of musicianship. The Japanese have a higher standard for talent, as most Japanese musicians don't follow the crappy template of metal and tend to innovate on the instrumental plane.

Take Dir En Grey for example, I would love to see any pop session artist write and preform a 10 minute song with the complexity of Vinushka off the album Uroboros. Shinya, the drummer, has a knack for writing very complex songs. The guitarists Toshiya and Kaoru are always in harmony. The bassist Die doesn't follw the boring "Up down up down" template of Metal Bassists. The vocalist Kyo has the widest range I've ever seen, I have never heard anyone with his range, ever.

Kyo will defeat any pop singer that comes his way in terms of range, cleanliness and writing. No pop artist has employed double-entenders like he has.

Actually, most of the time companies are hired for mixing, so I can't say anything on that subject myself.

You seem to have some so of hatred towards me because I like metal, I don't know how many times I have to say that, despite being a metalhead, I appreciate other types of music, especialy Jazz. While Japanese Metal artist are some of the best I've heard, I must say that Jazz musicians are bettar than most of the Metal musicians, and certainly better that pop session artists. Honestly, if you knew theory, this discussion would be much better off because then you could read the sheet music and compare it, then we could really go in depth on the subject.

For now, just listen to the full Vinushka song and get back to me.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RetroIce4
Suicrat said:
"I'm not sure if this website is the best way to meet your objective, according to the numbers, there are 34 839, and at least 17 000 of those people have earned 0 points, that doesn't mean they're inactive in the forums, but still. At this website, you might get a couple signatories here and there, but I doubt you'll meet your objective."
I've got 0 points. How do you get points?
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Steve_Ramirez
RetroIce4 said:
"Suicrat said:
"I'm not sure if this website is the best way to meet your objective, according to the numbers, there are 34 839, and at least 17 000 of those people have earned 0 points, that doesn't mean they're inactive in the forums, but still. At this website, you might get a couple signatories here and there, but I doubt you'll meet your objective."
I've got 0 points. How do you get points?"
anything helps
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I strongly dislike Lady Gaga, sorry.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead
ahriman22 said:
"I'll ignore the grammatical errors for this time. You must have a very close minded approach to metal since you don't take into consideration anything I said. I list to JAPANESE Metal, which is far different from the American/English crap in terms of musicianship. The Japanese have a higher standard for talent, as most Japanese musicians don't follow the crappy template of metal and tend to innovate on the instrumental plane.

Take Dir En Grey for example, I would love to see any pop session artist write and preform a 10 minute song with the complexity of Vinushka off the album Uroboros. Shinya, the drummer, has a knack for writing very complex songs. The guitarists Toshiya and Kaoru are always in harmony. The bassist Die doesn't follw the boring "Up down up down" template of Metal Bassists. The vocalist Kyo has the widest range I've ever seen, I have never heard anyone with his range, ever.

Kyo will defeat any pop singer that comes his way in terms of range, cleanliness and writing. No pop artist has employed double-entenders like he has.

Actually, most of the time companies are hired for mixing, so I can't say anything on that subject myself.

You seem to have some so of hatred towards me because I like metal, I don't know how many times I have to say that, despite being a metalhead, I appreciate other types of music, especialy Jazz. While Japanese Metal artist are some of the best I've heard, I must say that Jazz musicians are bettar than most of the Metal musicians, and certainly better that pop session artists. Honestly, if you knew theory, this discussion would be much better off because then you could read the sheet music and compare it, then we could really go in depth on the subject.

For now, just listen to the full Vinushka song and get back to me."
This is the same Dir En Grey who wrote the song Clever Sleazoid, right? Give me a break. Those guys are average shock rockers who are basically the Japanese Marilyn Manson. Just because someone has better range as a voalist and can shred faster than another guitarist, that doesn't mean they can make good music worth listening to.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ahriman22
HandsomeDead said:
"ahriman22 said:
"I'll ignore the grammatical errors for this time. You must have a very close minded approach to metal since you don't take into consideration anything I said. I list to JAPANESE Metal, which is far different from the American/English crap in terms of musicianship. The Japanese have a higher standard for talent, as most Japanese musicians don't follow the crappy template of metal and tend to innovate on the instrumental plane.

For now, just listen to the full Vinushka song and get back to me."
This is the same Dir En Grey who wrote the song Clever Sleazoid, right? Give me a break. Those guys are average shock rockers who are basically the Japanese Marilyn Manson. Just because someone has better range as a voalist and can shred faster than another guitarist, that doesn't mean they can make good music worth listening to."
Ugh, get your stupidity out of here. Yes It's that Dir En Grey. Have you listened to any other songs? Obviously not, go listen to Mushi. Each album from them is different. Clever Sleazoid comes from the album The Marrow Of A Bone. That album was pure aggression. Uroboros, the 08 album was much more different. Do some fucking research first please.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By toowalrus

I've got to listen to her fucking shit all day at work on the radio. It's awful.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By randiolo

i hate lady gaga, shes just another tumor on a dieing art called music..

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By inkeiren
randiolo said:
"i hate lady gaga, shes just another tumor on a dieing art called music.."
I mean no offense to you, but music is not dying.

Lots of indie music takes more than a listen to get into. Also, plenty classical pieces are being written to this day. John Adams (although obviously he is strongly influenced by minimalism) and thousands of other greatly talented classical trained musicians are out there making songs today. Just because what's on the radio is not good does not mean music is dying.

Edit: John Adams is challenging at first. You might want to try some George Lloyd.
Another Edit: If you want to see some truly young new talent as evidence you might want to try Matthew Dewey or Edward Top.