#1 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I got a question for dudes who play guitar around here, what do you play that is considered chill?

I've had an electric G for a few years but all I know how to play is dark or progressive stuff from bands like Tool and Slayer and whatnot. I have a tendency for the metal vibe and I'm always learning those heavy riffs and strange guitar sequences.

But I've been playing the guitar more and more with new friends I met and I always find myself unable to come up with relaxing songs that are cool and impressive to play on guitar.

I thought about Hotel California but that beast needs a 12-string guitar for the main crazy riff. Can you duders recommend some nice classic chill songs/pieces for me to play?

I need a break from all these metal songs.

#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Now that I think about it, the only "chill" songs I know how to play are all from games I play.
Maybe because I don't normally listen to music that isn't metal? I don't know.

But this is the one I usually end up playing when I just wanna play something a little relaxed.
I should probably learn some mroe well known songs, but, meh.

#3 Edited by IsenTorr (40 posts) -

Learn to play some Jazz. It's relaxing and fun to play, also if you're not familiar with Jazz it'll help to improve you as a guitar player.

#4 Posted by casper_ (908 posts) -

yeah learn a joe pass arrangement. it will be challenging and you might learn some theory as well.

#5 Posted by Linkster7 (1043 posts) -

I always find this soothing to play

#6 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I always find this soothing to play

This is good but it's also kinda dark. I'm thinking more cheerful and classic, not necessarily upbeat but still not the kind of stuff that makes you ponder the meaning of life in melancholy

#7 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@jouseldelka: I'd recommend some of the big catchy beatles songs, greenday (when I come around etc.), oasis, to name a few. nice strummy chord progressions that sound just as good slowed down and on acoustic or what-not.

#8 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2527 posts) -

Mad chill, like smoking a bowl and drinking nesquick chill.

#9 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

Hurt from Johnny Cash (originally by Nine Inch Nails)

#10 Edited by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Very simple to play as well which is nice.

#11 Edited by JigsawIntoSpace (40 posts) -

I would recommend this song by Nick Drake if you like to finger pick at all

Also, you could probably learn how to write chill riffs by studying shoegaze guitarists (My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Airiel, and many others)

#12 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

#13 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

As others have mentioned, look into Jazz.

I recommend also looking into older music. Playing anything other than your main genre of choice will help you a lot.

#14 Posted by GalacticPunt (1090 posts) -

Interesting problem. You're looking for songs that are both chill and impressive to play? I think of Leo Kottke, who plays acoustic guitar with an acumen that is totally face-melting... in a down-home country way.

Not Top-40 recognizable, but he's gotten some soundtrack gigs, so some of his stuff like "Part 2" is floating in that collective unconsciousness. He does some standards in a wonderfully twisted way. Here is his take on the bitter-sweet "Sleepwalk" with Chet Atkins.

If you want stuff that is instantly recognizable, as a metal guy can't you gravitate towards some acoustic Led Zeppelin?

• Going to California
  • Over the Hills and Far Away
  • Friends (from Zeppelin III, not the TV theme song)
  • That's the Way
  • Tangerine (how more iconic and majestic can you get than the song that closed out "Almost Famous?" ...OK, I'm old.)
#15 Posted by 71Ranchero (2796 posts) -

#16 Edited by habster3 (3600 posts) -

I would go with any of the following songs. They're all pretty easy and not too impressive, but they're still great songs and not a total drag to play (especially if you also sing).

The Oasis song's lyrics content is a little bitter, so that one's also pretty sketchy. As for the Yuck song (disclaimer: the video's tastefully NSFW), a lot of other tracks from that album could work as well. AND The chillness of the Neutral Milk Hotel track depends on how you perform it, really. Of course, I have no comment on the QOTSA and the Sublime song; they're unconditionally chill.

Sorry, I don't listen to many chill (guitar-wise) bands

#17 Posted by chrissedoff (2158 posts) -

I find this stuff hard as hell to play, but if you're better than I am, you should learn to play some John Fahey songs. He's one of the best guitar players ever, in my opinion.

#18 Posted by owack6 (221 posts) -

Interesting problem. You're looking for songs that are both chill and impressive to play? I think of Leo Kottke, who plays acoustic guitar with an acumen that is totally face-melting... in a down-home country way.

Not Top-40 recognizable, but he's gotten some soundtrack gigs, so some of his stuff like "Part 2" is floating in that collective unconsciousness. He does some standards in a wonderfully twisted way. Here is his take on the bitter-sweet "Sleepwalk" with Chet Atkins.

If you want stuff that is instantly recognizable, as a metal guy can't you gravitate towards some acoustic Led Zeppelin?

• Going to California
  • Over the Hills and Far Away
  • Friends (from Zeppelin III, not the TV theme song)
  • That's the Way
  • Tangerine (how more iconic and majestic can you get than the song that closed out "Almost Famous?" ...OK, I'm old.)

Don't remember which ones but i think most of those zeppelin songs use different tuning which is most definitely not "chill".

#19 Posted by mordukai (7182 posts) -

Blues.

#20 Edited by Phoenix654 (264 posts) -

I play a few Pink Floyd songs when I need to chill. "Wish You Were Here" or "Goodbye Blue Sky" are my go tos. "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles helps too. That or I just bust out the Mario theme.

#21 Edited by notdavid (841 posts) -

I play acoustic, so what the fuck do I know? Start playing folk like the rest of the cool kids.

#22 Edited by myketuna (1736 posts) -

I want to learn how to guitar mostly to play this specific song ever since I heard it in Ocean's Twelve back when I was 14. Seems like it's hard to play though...? I don't know. I don't play guitar.

Is this too classic-y?

#23 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
#24 Edited by RubberFactory (290 posts) -

A modern classic. I like to add some delay and pass it though a wah pedal.