#1 Edited by Jolt92 (1543 posts) -

Hello Bombadeers

I just started a group for us on Fitocracy, so if you're exercising or want to do so you should join me and other community members there.

It's a nice tool for tracking your workout, you earn exp and level up! Sound like fun?

Sign up and join!

https://www.fitocracy.com/group/13349/

#2 Edited by Kill (298 posts) -

I'm SkyVeiled on Fitocracy, it's good to see another group being set up! The Whisky Media group is as dead as Whisky Media itself ;_; 
  
If anybody wants to get built and ripped for summer, we can definitely band together and motivate each other!  

#3 Posted by Pezen (1565 posts) -

Joined, same name as here. I used another app previously (Pushing Weight), but after it crashed and lost all my logs I needed something new. Like what I've seen of Fitocracy so far.

#4 Posted by datarez (543 posts) -

Joined! I've been cycling and some running mostly lately. I'm pretty bad about not doing any lifting but I'll get around to trying the lifting quests eventually.

#5 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

The Fitocracy app is waaay better than it has any right to be. It's really great.

I can't even figure out how to record exercises as weight assisted on the website, they make it much easier on the app.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@psylah said:

The Fitocracy app is waaay better than it has any right to be. It's really great.

I can't even figure out how to record exercises as weight assisted on the website, they make it much easier on the app.

Is it available for Android devices? I may as well pretend to fulfill a New year's resolution before giving up on it completely.

#7 Posted by Pezen (1565 posts) -
@psylah : I wish the fixed the random crashes though and profile synching. Having levelled up and it not showing in my profile unless I log out and back in is strange. Other than that, pretty great. Wish I could add excercises though, but I suppose that might be tricky with their achievment system.
#8 Posted by Mesoian (1573 posts) -

Joined.

I try to work out every other day, but to be honest, I got out of using Fitocracy because I was usually too tired afterwards to record what I did and couldn't remember the next day. The android app is still really buggy, but once it actually starts working, I'll probably start using the system again.

#9 Edited by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Pezen said:

@psylah : I wish the fixed the random crashes though and profile synching. Having levelled up and it not showing in my profile unless I log out and back in is strange. Other than that, pretty great. Wish I could add excercises though, but I suppose that might be tricky with their achievment system.

Are you using the iOS version or the Android version? I haven't had any issues on the Android side yet...

@Ravenlight: Yep, available for Android.

#10 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

Is this a US only app?

#11 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Snail said:

Is this a US only app?

It's a website, a fitness-based social network. I don't think it's US only, I see people recording weights in kilos frequently.

The app is supplemental to the Fitocracy account, you'll need that account to use the app.

#12 Posted by Mesoian (1573 posts) -

Probably the most annoying thing about fitocracy is the strict naming they have for everything. I do a set of 8 inch leg lifts everytime I work out to warm up but I can't include them in my routine.

#13 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

Probably the most annoying thing about fitocracy is the strict naming they have for everything. I do a set of 8 inch leg lifts everytime I work out to warm up but I can't include them in my routine.

Flat straight leg raise?

#14 Posted by Pezen (1565 posts) -
@psylah ; iOS, it has a tendency to crash 2-3 times during the course of a session.

@Mesoian ; I have had similar issues but decided to either log it as a similar excersise or simply just ignore it and just make a mental note of it.
#15 Edited by Mesoian (1573 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Mesoian said:

Probably the most annoying thing about fitocracy is the strict naming they have for everything. I do a set of 8 inch leg lifts everytime I work out to warm up but I can't include them in my routine.

Flat straight leg raise?

Hmm, I guess that works. It's the research behind it all that's a little annoying, though it doesn't help that most of my nomeclatoure habits are from my football days where every workout had a 1 or 2 word nickname. What I really need to do is go and delete all my old routines and make new ones that reflect the workout schedule I'm doing now.

#16 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@psylah said:

@Mesoian said:

Probably the most annoying thing about fitocracy is the strict naming they have for everything. I do a set of 8 inch leg lifts everytime I work out to warm up but I can't include them in my routine.

Flat straight leg raise?

Hmm, I guess that works. It's the research behind it all that's a little annoying, though it doesn't help that most of my nomeclatoure habits are from my football days where every workout had a 1 or 2 word nickname. What I really need to do is go and delete all my old routines and make new ones that reflect the workout schedule I'm doing now.

I usually have to look up what some of these exercises are, I have a hard time visualizing some of the things they describe without a picture or demo. And for finding the name of the exercise I am doing, I search by the muscle group being exercised.

#17 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I started lifting/running again recently, and I also just joined Fitocracy a few days ago. Perfect timing!

#18 Posted by datarez (543 posts) -

@Pezen said:

@psylah ; iOS, it has a tendency to crash 2-3 times during the course of a session.

There was an update this week I think on iOS that was supposed to fix the crashing with the new interface.

#19 Posted by audioBusting (1481 posts) -

I think I need to start working out, so I joined. I haven't done much physical exercise in the past 2 years.. If anyone have any workout tips I'd be glad to hear it!

#20 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -
@audioBusting said:

I think I need to start working out, so I joined. I haven't done much physical exercise in the past 2 years.. If anyone have any workout tips I'd be glad to hear it!

This will tell you all you need to know. 
 
Lift, eat, sleep, repeat!
#21 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

Awesome! I was using Fitocracy for a while, but it got boring because it was I was just competing against my wife. I started using other apps to track my workouts. A Giant Bomb group is exactly the sort of... healthy competition I was looking for.

#22 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

How do people track the distances they run? I sometimes run in places I do not get cell reception (under ground in the city) and a cell phone does not always work. Fitocracy only accepts time and distance, not pedometer-style steps... or does it?

#23 Posted by Positrark (316 posts) -

I'm in. I have already been using fitocracy for a while now.

#24 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

Joined as well! I'm new to Fitocracy but it seems like an interesting way to keep me motivated to workout and keep in shape.

#25 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -
@psylah said:

How do people track the distances they run? I sometimes run in places I do not get cell reception (under ground in the city) and a cell phone does not always work. Fitocracy only accepts time and distance, not pedometer-style steps... or does it?

You can link Fitocracy up to a Runkeeper account and track accurate run distances that way! Runkeeper allows for manual correction in the event of GPS interruption. Hope that helps.
#26 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

The Fitocracy group is a little bit dead. We could use more people! Come on in, Bomb squad.

#27 Edited by psylah (2162 posts) -

Come on, guys. There are hot ladies on Fitocracy.

#28 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

You guys are preaching to the wrong choir with Giant Bomb.

Let's just say the lord Jeff Gerstmann created GiantBomb in his own image. And Ryan Davis was his partner....

#29 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

@fourwade: you might be surprised!