• 78 results
Posted by MB (12722 posts) 11 months, 3 days ago

Poll: Giant Bomb's Favorite Hot Sauce (Poll) (436 votes)

Tapatio 12%
Texas Pete 5%
Reggae Reggae Sauce 3%
Cholula 16%
Frank's RedHot 25%
Pepper Plant Original 2%
Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce 6%
Dave's Gourmet Ghost Pepper Sauce 3%
El Yucateco 3%
Huy Fong Sriracha 25%
Mad Dog 3%
La Guacamaya 1%
고추장 (Gochujang) 4%
Tabasco 23%
Louisiana Brand 7%
Crystal 3%
Gator Hammock Gator Sauce 1%
Valentina 3%
Tennessee Sunshine 1%
The Source or other high Scoville rating novelty food additive 2%
Pickapeppa Sauce 1%
House Brand (Grocery store private label) 3%
Fast Food Sauce (McDonalds, Taco Bell - for @Sparky_Buzzsaw) 5%
I don't use hot sauce (previously known as "I don't know what I'm missing") 7%
I don't like spicy food at all (previously known as "I'm a nine year old girl") 6%
Other (Explain) 11%

-This isn't about which is the hottest sauce, just which ones you prefer. Multiple choices are allowed.

-Some sauces have been combined into one option, such as all varieties of Tabasco and all fast food sauces.

Share what you like to use hot sauce on - as a condiment, in cooking, straight out of the bottle, all of the above?

#1 Edited by MB (12722 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw @dalai @ilikepopcans @secondpersonshooter @krullban @shagge @arbitrarywater @sin4profit @defe @example1013 @mcghee @blu3v3nom07 @davidwitten22 @bisonhero @koolaid @dekkadekkadekka @mrhadouken @thehbk @sgtsphynx @danteveli @shinjin977 @wickedfather @ninjaberd @mikethekilla @karkarov @ravenlight @saturdaynightspecials @drdarkstryfe @artisanbreads

Poll's up, previous topic closed! Thanks for your input.

My favorite right now is Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce. It's a little more spicy than Sriracha and not as sweet. No added sugar unlike Sriracha.

#2 Posted by Theassman (27 posts) -

Franks. This great divebar I used to go to had jalapeño Mac&Cheese with a complimentary bottle of franks. Amazing.

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

Is Reggae Reggae Sauce really considered a hot sauce? It's not really hot at all. It's flavourful and tasty, but not hot.

Apart from Reggae reggae, Sriracha is the only branded one of those that I've actually tried. And it's really tasty, but it makes me shit through the eye of a needle the next day, so I try to avoid it most of the time.

#4 Posted by Zero_ (1976 posts) -

Tabasco. I used to be a mad Sriracha fan, but Tabasco you can put on ANYTHING. Sriracha, for me anyway, is only limited to meats.

#5 Edited by MB (12722 posts) -

@zero_: I feel the same way about sriracha, I like it but I think it's a bit too sweet to put on things like rice. Even when I use sriracha on chicken, the chicken has to have some kind of savory rub on it in order for the sriracha to really compliment the flavor, otherwise the added sugar makes the combination way too sweet.

#6 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -

Vinny's own hot sauce.

#7 Posted by AbsolutelyAlmost (30 posts) -

To be honest, Tabasco is the only hot sauce I've seen here in the UK, making it my favourite by default I suppose?
I've taken to putting it in just about everything. I especially like a drop of it in hummus.

#8 Edited by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

Crystal for the everyday garden variety "get some heat in here but don't scare the wimpy folks away" and Blair's After Death cause it brings a lot of heat while having a really nice flavor profile.

#9 Posted by Sweep (8922 posts) -

I use tabasco because that's the only shit that's widely available in the UK, but when I was in mexico I was standardly dolloping as much unlabelled chilli sauce on my food as possible. The spicier the better.

#10 Posted by Sin4profit (2951 posts) -

Never tried Huy Fong Chili Garlic but i'll have to check it out now. This has to be the most useful poll of the year.

#11 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I go with Chipotle Tabasco. Not regualar Tabasco, that is watery and unappealing to me. But the Chipotle stuff is great. Sriracha is fine too, but I only use it on Asian food.

#12 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

If Tabasco wins this poll hot sauce loses. That's all I'll say.

I chose Franks because it is widely available, a good solid sauce, and it works in all situations.

I do like fancier stuff with specific dishes. Also lsriracha is good but if you're putting it on more than asian food and noodles you're going a little crazy with it. But hey people like Tabasco so could be worse.

#13 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2488 posts) -

Sriracha closely followed by Tapatio. Tobasco is ok, I prefer the green kind for whatever reason.

#14 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I'm English and what is hot sauce

#15 Posted by FonkyMucker (153 posts) -

Cholula is my default hot sauce of choice. There are other sauces I like for specific situations.....but Cholula is always a solid choice.

And while your eating you can ponder if the person on the front of the bottle is a man or woman.

#16 Edited by D_Mac (136 posts) -

At the risk of becoming the target of vitriol: I don't think siriacha should count, while it is hot, and a sauce, it contains more tomato than pepper, and is loaded with sugar. The vast majority of the rest of the sauces are pepper sauce of some variety. Same goes for Reggae Reggae Sauce, which is also basically a spicy ketchup.

#17 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

I haven't tried very many, but I like Cholula and Sriracha a bit. Oh, and Taco Bell sauce. I love that shit. Put a couple packets of that in a bowl of ramen noodles...delicious.

It's not really a hot sauce, but over the summer, I was at some hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint for my buddy's open mic night, and their hottest BBQ sauce there was called Devil's Spit, I think. I didn't order anything to eat, but I tried a tiny little dab of it by itself and HOLY SHIT was that the hottest thing I've ever tasted. It felt like the inside of my head was on fire and my esophagus was eroding away. It tasted terrible on top of that.

#18 Posted by BaconAndWaffles (70 posts) -

@d_mac: There is no tomato in Siracha (at least in the Huy Fong brand). It does have fair amount of sugar.

It most certainly is a hot sauce...

#19 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11910 posts) -

I once shat myself from putting to much Sriracha on my stir fry and I still think it is delicious. Cholula isn't half bad either.

#20 Posted by StudioErebus (45 posts) -

I always have a few bottles of Cholula in the pantry. It's not super- spicy but I really like the flavor it adds to food. It's unfortunate that Tabasco is so ubiquitous, I think it tastes like chemicals.

#21 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

For me it's more about flavor than spice. I hate buffalo sauce because it's so strong with vinegar and doesn't taste good, even though I like the spice.

Sriracha's good for Asian-styled dishes, though my vote goes for Valentina just because I like dumping it on my pizza. Or I did a few years ago at least. I don't eat much spicy stuff anymore due to some...uh...bowel issues, but I sure do like it.

#22 Posted by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

For me it's more about flavor than spice. I hate buffalo sauce because it's so strong with vinegar and doesn't taste good, even though I like the spice.

Sriracha's good for Asian-styled dishes, though my vote goes for Valentina just because I like dumping it on my pizza. Or I did a few years ago at least. I don't eat much spicy stuff anymore due to some...uh...bowel issues, but I sure do like it.

Just as an FYI... you should never buy something labeled on the bottle as "Buffalo Sauce." They're trying to fake something that is stupid simple to create yourself and tastes a whole lot better if you do (it's just butter and hot sauce). While we're at it, deep fry your wings when you "buffalo" them it renders the skin better and makes them taste great.

Buffalo Wings:

• Deep fry wings - about 10 minutes at 350f/175c
  • Drain wings on paper towels
  • Take a chunk of butter (yes, butter, not margarine or some other fake stuff, trust me) and put it in a quart size container - an empty quart size yogurt container works well - you'll learn how much to use after you do this once or twice... start with a tablespoon for 6 wings).
  • Melt butter in microwave
  • Add hot sauce(s) (go on, layer some flavors of different sauces) of your choice until heat and flavor are to your liking - I use about a good couple of blops of Crystal (a tablespoon? I don't know, I go by how color) and four or five sizeable drops of Blair's After Death
  • Stick wings into container and cover
  • Shake
  • Pour extra sauce over wings (or put in a small dish for dipping)
  • Eat
#24 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

@oldguy said:

@mormonwarrior said:

Just as an FYI... you should never buy something labeled on the bottle as "Buffalo Sauce." They're trying to fake something that is stupid simple to create yourself and tastes a whole lot better if you do (it's just butter and hot sauce). While we're at it, deep fry your wings when you "buffalo" them it renders the skin better and makes them taste great.

Buffalo Wings:

• Deep fry wings - about 10 minutes at 350f/175c
  • Drain wings on paper towels
  • Take a chunk of butter (yes, butter, not margarine or some other fake stuff, trust me) and put it in a quart size container - an empty quart size yogurt container works well - you'll learn how much to use after you do this once or twice... start with a tablespoon for 6 wings).
  • Melt butter in microwave
  • Add hot sauce(s) (go on, layer some flavors of different sauces) of your choice until heat and flavor are to your liking - I use about a good couple of blops of Crystal (a tablespoon? I don't know, I go by how color) and four or five sizeable drops of Blair's After Death
  • Stick wings into container and cover
  • Shake
  • Pour extra sauce over wings (or put in a small dish for dipping)
  • Eat

That sounds like it may be very delicious. To be honest I've never made my own wings, but whenever I get buffalo wings at any restaurant, etc. I always regret it.

I really dig Winger's wings though. It's a nice blend of smoky/super spicy/sweet that I can really get behind.

#25 Edited by smackifilia (73 posts) -

Trappy's Bull Sauce. It is a pretty normal hot sauce flavor, but its perfect. Easily eclipses all other sauces in the genre.

#26 Posted by Nodima (1243 posts) -

I like Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches at bars. That's most of my hot sauce experience.

#27 Edited by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

I'm gonna come out and say regular old Tabasco is pretty bad. I mean unless you like nasty acid / vinegar flavor. I've always got a bottle of Sriracha in the fridge, but I'm also a huge fan of that Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce.

#28 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6311 posts) -

Kinda surprised at the strong showing for Frank's. I thought it tasted kind of generic. Huh. I like hot sauce on hamburgers - lightly coat one side about two-thirds of the way through and cover with cheese. I also love it in grilled sandwiches, wraps, and quesadillas.

Moderator Online
#29 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

My allegiances are torn!! As a Buffalo native, my go-to is Frank's (you can't make good wings with anything else). But I've lived on the west coast for 8 years now and my day-to-day sauce has become Tapatio...you can't make me choose!

#30 Posted by JJBSterling (199 posts) -

I am a baby and cannot for the life of me eat spicy food.

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out, until I have something spicy to remind me I'm not.

#31 Posted by 49th (2783 posts) -

Don't really have a preference, I'll just use whatever is available.

#32 Posted by wewantsthering (1578 posts) -
#33 Posted by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

@mormonwarrior: Damn skippy it's great - not good for you, but great. Take something (wings) covered in fat (chicken skin), deep fry said thing and cover it in more fat (with hot sauce)... if that's not good you're doing something wrong (see also: cream filled glazed doughnuts)...

#34 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Haven't tried many, but I like Cholula quite a bit.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5808 posts) -

I am a 9 year old girl.

#36 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

I really like the Taco Bell Fire sauce

#37 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -

Frank's for me as well.

#38 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

I pretty much like most kinds of hot sauce. I like sriracha for everyday use, Frank's for wings and eggs and finally "other" which are the various sauces that usually have weird names and contain habanero and/or ghost peppers when I crave heat.

Like this thing of beauty that has destroyed my stomach for the past year.

Also, I hate Tabasco. Don't vote for Tabasco.

#39 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Ketchup

#40 Posted by StudsMcKewl (73 posts) -

Not enough Mad Dog up in here. You guys need to learn how to live.

#41 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (253 posts) -

Because of where I grew up and where I live, hot sauce is a pretty large part of my diet. Hardly a day goes by where I don't put it on something. Because of that, I tend to cycle through a bunch of different types for variety. What I use most often though would probably be Sriracha or hot sauce I make myself. I definitely prefer making my own though since it tastes good and I can get it as hot as I like it. The only stuff I won't use is Tabasco or Frank's or kinds like that. They aren't hot and taste like vinegar.

#42 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I included Other in the options I voted for because I didn't see wasabi on there.

#43 Edited by MB (12722 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I included Other in the options I voted for because I didn't see wasabi on there.

I love wasabi with sushi but it's not a sauce, it's a root.

#44 Edited by chrissedoff (2152 posts) -

I picked Reggae Reggae sauce. I've never tasted it before, but it has reggae in the name. I love reggae!

#45 Posted by deathfury (537 posts) -

Gochujang, yo. Gotta get those big tubs of the stuff.

#46 Posted by MB (12722 posts) -

No surprise here, but Sriracha and Tabasco are running neck and neck after 200 votes, with...Cholula in third. I guess that's not too much of a surprise either given how widely available and mild it is.

#47 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6311 posts) -

@mb: Can't stand tabasco personally, but I know gobs of people who put it on absolutely everything, so that's not too shocking. I don't know that I've ever tried Cholula. Here, you've pretty much got tobasco and Tapatio. I'm adding a few of these to my out of town grocery list so I can try them at some point.

Moderator Online
#48 Edited by Whamola (131 posts) -

What's that green and white Spanish bottle that's got a lady on it that isn't Cholula and has carrots in it? That one is my favorite.

#49 Posted by slyspider (1285 posts) -

Texas Pete. I'm from Texas so this is sorta required if me. Franks is also good

#50 Edited by MetalBaofu (1413 posts) -

I went with Texas Pete and Sriracha. Depends on what I'm eating and what my mood is at the time.