#1 Edited by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Now that the baseball season has begun I figured a thread on the site, for people to talk about the 2013 season, would be a good idea.

How are everyone's favorite teams doing? Anyone playing fantasy this year?

As a Red Sox fan I am hoping for a better season than last year's effort. So far it has been pretty good, you know. For the whole two games against the injured Yankees lineup. This season is going to be really interesting in the AL East. Now that the Blue Jays seem stacked and if the Orioles can make a repeat of their run last year things are going to be wild.

#2 Edited by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Gah, meant to post this in off topic.

#3 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

As a Cardinals fan, I can't complain yet. Although, that 16 inning loss last night was quite the heartbreaker.

#4 Edited by Asmo917 (356 posts) -

Nationals fan here. 3-0 with sky high expectations but I'm still adjusting to just rooting for a team that doesn't suck!

#5 Edited by Dalai (6877 posts) -

@asmo917 said:

Nationals fan here. 3-0 with sky high expectations but I'm still adjusting to just rooting for a team that doesn't suck!

And I have to adjust to rooting for a team that is probably going to suck.

Go Yankees? Yeah... these next two months are gonna be weird.

#6 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Damn Indian pitchers gave up so many home runs tonight. Should have been 3-0.

#7 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

@dalai: Yep, my father has been a Yankee fan for the past 60 years and he has practically given up already due to all of the injuries. That's okay though because I have Swisher =)

#8 Posted by Milkman (16226 posts) -

@dalai said:

@asmo917 said:

Nationals fan here. 3-0 with sky high expectations but I'm still adjusting to just rooting for a team that doesn't suck!

And I have to adjust to rooting for a team that is probably going to suck.

Go Yankees? Yeah... these next two months are gonna be weird.

It's probably going to be a rough month or two but Jeter should be fine, you hope Tex and Granderson will be back in May and Pineda (maybe A-Rod?) should be nice boost around the All-Star break. If that doesn't go according to plan though...welp.

#9 Edited by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Friend of mine got extremely lucky in fantasy this week. He has both Kershaw and Darvish. I am getting walloped so far.

#10 Edited by Fredchuckdave (4479 posts) -

White Sox fan here, team appears to be doing fine despite the lost of our beloved AJ. Expect another close race in the AL central at the end of the year; hopefully we don't collapse this time around but our team is much better than it's supposed to be so I don't mind.

@dalai: The Yankees don't really "suck" they're just not the all star team for a little while; they'll be fine. That said the AL East is extremely strong so no guarantee that they'll make the playoffs.

#11 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Lackey seemed to be on his game today, until he had that injury scare. Hopefully he'll make a return to form without any other problems this season.

#12 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Bumping for anyone who wants to discuss the post season.

Hopefully things turn out in favor of a three way tie for the American League wild card. That would be insane.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

If the Rangers lose tomorrow to Tampa Bay, I'm going to have a fucking heart attack. Moreover, if Cruz fucks it all up tomorrow, I'm going to hate him for eternity. I can only hope my golden boy Beltre brings his AAA game.

#14 Posted by Milkman (16226 posts) -

12 posts the whole season? Come on, Giant Bomb. #baseballcares

That being said...

@milkman said:

@dalai said:

@asmo917 said:

Nationals fan here. 3-0 with sky high expectations but I'm still adjusting to just rooting for a team that doesn't suck!

And I have to adjust to rooting for a team that is probably going to suck.

Go Yankees? Yeah... these next two months are gonna be weird.

It's probably going to be a rough month or two but Jeter should be fine, you hope Tex and Granderson will be back in May and Pineda (maybe A-Rod?) should be nice boost around the All-Star break. If that doesn't go according to plan though...welp.

WELP. I guess it didn't go according to plan.

#15 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1270 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

If the Rangers lose tomorrow to Tampa Bay, I'm going to have a fucking heart attack. Moreover, if Cruz fucks it all up tomorrow, I'm going to hate him for eternity. I can only hope my golden boy Beltre brings his AAA game.

The Rangers had weird last month, an almost monumental collapse, and then an amazing run toward the end to get back in it.

As a Red Sox fan, I hope Cleveland wins the wild card so we can see Francona back in Boston for the playoffs.

#16 Edited by Slag (3339 posts) -

Man Cleveland has been tearing it up!

#17 Posted by Asmo917 (356 posts) -

@milkman: Sorry, I was too busy drinking after innings where the Nats got guys on 2nd or 2nd and 3rd with 0 or 1 out and scored NO RUNS. Yes. all year.

#18 Posted by Dalai (6877 posts) -

@milkman: Heh, you were way off unfortunately. I guess we should be glad the Yankees had a winning season after all the injuries and A-Rod drama this year.

I would normally say they can regroup and make a run next year, but there's a chance the Steinbrenner kids will continue to make worse decisions than their dad. I think keeping Cano and Granderson are necessary for them to have a chance to compete. Sign Logan to a short-term deal and dump the rest, especially Hughes who only had one, maybe two good seasons with the club. Kuroda is closing in on 40, like most of the team it seems, so it's probably best to cut him and give the younger guys (Phelps, Nuno?) a shot. Don't sign all those washed-up 30-somethings like Youkilis, Hafner and Overbay. Just get rid of them, not even for cheap. The Yankees should finally be able to avoid paying any luxury tax next year like they want to and maybe have enough money to sign a few free agents. And finally, if I were a Steinbrenner, I'd work on fixing our busted farm system and maybe get some home-grown talent like they did back in the early 90's so maybe we can talk a Yankees dynasty in 2018.

But I guess for the rest of this season i'll have to jump on the Pirates bandwagon until they blow their Wild Card game tomorrow. Or maybe Cleveland. Anybody but Boston or Atlanta. Fuck those guys.

#19 Posted by Slag (3339 posts) -

And down goes the Rangers in a rare game 163 at home no less.

I can't imagine Ron Washington's job is safe after yet another Ranger fall collapse.