#1 Edited by Animasta (14723 posts) -

Well, regular voting starts tomorrow so I might as well make it now; lots of pollin data coming in, most of the polling data has the swing states leaning Obama, most of the people who actually use statistics have Obama as the heavy favorite (I got booted off NYT's website because they are big jerks but five thirty eight is a good read). So, any of you do early voting? I voted early because I was getting tired of people coming to the door and calling (let it be known that Obama's supporters are merciless, they came 4 times in one day once). Also any time I watch something on TV half of the ads are Romney ads (not that it's helping much, Obama has a fairly strong lead in Nevada).

I don't want this to be a discussion of their policies or whatever, heaven knows we already have enough of that. Just discuss the election, who you voted for if you have, whine about how you live in a swing state and you are getting tired of Romney ads (honestly I'd get tired of Obama ads if they were on more).

edit: If you are looking for your polling place then here is a link to somewhere where it tells you your polling place (thanks equitas!): http://www.yourfuckingpollingplace.com/

#2 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -
#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I imagine this thread is for Americans only? I don't exactly see what I can contribute if I can't actually vote.

#4 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson if I can be bothered, I've heard it's a hassle for outside-the-US citizens.

#5 Posted by kre8havoc (174 posts) -

This thread is treading on dangerous water. I have already voted. I don't live in a swing state though. I will keep who I voted for a mystery.

#6 Edited by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I imagine this thread is for Americans only? I don't exactly see what I can contribute if I can't actually vote.

plenty of europeans, canadians, lunarians can be entertained by the American Electoral process! there's plenty of funny shit around the election.

@scalpel: I was personally going to vote for Jill Stein but they didn't have her on the ballot :( bah humbug

@kre8havoc: I will report anyone who rants on both candidates' policies, unless it's super sleazy about the election itself, so DO NOT FEAR

#7 Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

Voting for Romney early morning tomorrow.

#8 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

@Animasta: That's weird. Is it state arbitration that decides who's on the ballot, or is there a set percentage requirement? At any rate, isn't there an empty field where you can fill in whoever?

#9 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -
#10 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

Get to voting duders!

#11 Edited by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@DriveupLife said:

Voting for Romney early morning tomorrow.

YEAH WELL HAVE A NICE TIME THEN (:3)

(I voted for Obama if that wasn't clear from my first post!)

Also this is a pretty funny picture of Obama

@scalpel: it was electrical and no, they only had gary johnson and the constitution party guy

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Already voted absentee over a week ago for Romney. Watching the results come in Tuesday will be intense. I'm just glad it's almost over so we don't have to hear about it anymore.

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

Obama would be a conservative in Canada. That's scary.

#14 Posted by Draxyle (1895 posts) -

@Animasta said:

There's evidence that the GOP secretary of state for Ohio is trying to do last minute voter suppression by invalidating thousands of votes due to new rules, p. messed up

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171011/eleventh-hour-gop-voter-suppression-could-swing-ohio

Absolutely insane that they keep getting away with this stuff. The people enacting these voter suppression laws belong in prison for trying to undermine the election process.

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@scalpel said:

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson if I can be bothered, I've heard it's a hassle for outside-the-US citizens.

Yeah I never understood the general process so I didn't manage to vote. Hopefully next time.

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Draxyle

@Animasta said:

There's evidence that the GOP secretary of state for Ohio is trying to do last minute voter suppression by invalidating thousands of votes due to new rules, p. messed up

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171011/eleventh-hour-gop-voter-suppression-could-swing-ohio

Absolutely insane that they keep getting away with this stuff. The people enacting these voter suppression laws belong in prison for trying to undermine the election process.

Fucking yup. It's really gross. Especially the guy in Pennsylvania who openly admitted to doing it for Romney's benefit. I don't care whose side you're on, if you're trying to suppress voters or destroy their registrations, you're scum.
#17 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@scalpel said:

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson if I can be bothered, I've heard it's a hassle for outside-the-US citizens.

Yeah I never understood the general process so I didn't manage to vote. Hopefully next time.

some places you can register right when you go to vote, so make sure to check your local laws (here are the states that allow this according to wikipedia) Eight states have some form of Election Day voter registration: Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Washington DC. Montana began Election Day voter registration in 2006, and Iowa in 2008. Connecticut and Rhode Island also have Election Day registration, but only for presidential elections.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

No one who wants to be president, should be allowed to be president.
If I was at my computer I would find the exact quote from the hitchhiker guide.

#19 Posted by Turambar (6894 posts) -

I won't be voting. But I will definitely be held up in traffic on my way to class. Obama and Bruce Springsteen are gonna make it a pain in the ass to get downtown today.

#20 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Turambar said:

I won't be voting. But I will definitely be held up in traffic on my way to class. Obama and Bruce Springsteen are gonna make it a pain in the ass to get downtown today.

I've had that happen a few times (Luckily Romney/Ryan largely stuck to Reno so it didn't get much worse).

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@MikkaQ said:

@scalpel said:

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson if I can be bothered, I've heard it's a hassle for outside-the-US citizens.

Yeah I never understood the general process so I didn't manage to vote. Hopefully next time.

some places you can register right when you go to vote, so make sure to check your local laws (here are the states that allow this according to wikipedia) Eight states have some form of Election Day voter registration: Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Washington DC. Montana began Election Day voter registration in 2006, and Iowa in 2008. Connecticut and Rhode Island also have Election Day registration, but only for presidential elections.

Well it's more that I'm a US citizen living in Canada, so I'd have to go talk to the consulate and that's a process I should have gotten started a long time ago.

The funny thing is I tried participating in the French election (I have a citizenship for there too) and my ballot came in the mail the day after the damn election!

I have no luck with this stuff.

#23 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

Voted absentee a few weeks back. I'm just looking forward to all this being over, one way or another. 

#24 Posted by BoFooQ (752 posts) -

There are 12 people on the ballot in florida for President:

Thomas Robert Stevens, Gary Johnson, Virgil H. Goode Jr., Jill Stein, Andre Barnett, Stewart Alexander, Peta Lindsay, Roseanne Barr, Tom Hoefling, Ross C. "Rocky" Anderson, Mitt and Barack

I will go vote tomorrow after breakfast and hopefully it shouldn't take more than a hour. For whoever asked No all states don't have the same ballet. I use to live in Illinois and there are only 3 people on the ballet there, Rep, Dem, Green no Roseanne Barr or communist party. I can't believe the lines of people down here who have been spending 4+ hours waiting in line to vote early. If you didn't want to stroll over on tuesday like me, than you should have just asked for a mail ballet. In Florida anyone can vote via mail if they request a ballet, and there is no reason needed. 4 years ago on of my brothers had moved across the country but rather than reregistrating he just requested and a Florida ballet through the mail and voted that way. I will be so happy when this is all over

#25 Posted by Sanity (1950 posts) -

Im also not voting, neither candidate is worth my time this election. Im of the mind were screwed either way.

Online
#26 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

#27 Edited by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

yeah, but Gary Johnson is a way better person than Ron Paul, so there's that

edit; I mean come on, at least support the entire party instead of just Ron Paul

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Even if your not voting for president you can still vote for local crap like spending and gay marriage and stuff.

#29 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

yeah, but Gary Johnson is a way better person than Ron Paul, so there's that

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with Johnson's programme so I can't really comment on that.

#30 Posted by ajamafalous (12156 posts) -

I'd vote but I don't live in a swing state.
 
 
Fucking garbage political system.

#31 Posted by Asmo917 (422 posts) -

I voted in-person absentee in Virginia on Saturday. We're a swing state, but nothing like my old home in Ohio - my parents are getting inundated with ads, mailings, and calls.

I'm going to go ahead and make a bold prediction: it's not even close. The media's horse race narrative is driven by a need to sell copy, and the rise of Fox News, and to a lesser extent MSNBC, have shown people's willingness to consume news and commentary from sources sharing their ideology. The popular vote may be close, but that means jack-shit when it comes to actually electing a President. Take this to your bookie: Obama wins with at least 300 electoral votes.

#32 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

yeah, but Gary Johnson is a way better person than Ron Paul, so there's that

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with Johnson's programme so I can't really comment on that.

he is much like ron paul (militarily/drug speaking) only he supports abortion and same sex marriage and did not put his name on racist pamphlets in the 90's.

also he's not angling to go back to the gold standard either.

#33 Posted by rentfn (1288 posts) -

@Dagbiker: “The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

#34 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Asmo917: you are right of course, obama's even fairly close on the more conservative swing states (NC and FL, though he's not likely to get FL)

#35 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

yeah, but Gary Johnson is a way better person than Ron Paul, so there's that

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with Johnson's programme so I can't really comment on that.

also he's not angling to go back to the gold standard either.

That's a shame.

#36 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@imsh_pl: okay sorry let's get off this topic because this topic leads only to arguments and shame (shame for you because this site still leans democratic pretty hard no matter how many paulites are here)

#37 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Just a reminder for everyone to keep it civil and we can keep the topic open for folks to discuss the subject. But the moment it devolves into mindless bickering and outright trolling/flaming then the topic will be locked and warnings and/or suspensions handed out.
And for the sake of disclosure and transparency, I'm from the UK so no political preference on the subject.

#38 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

@Animasta: Sure, was just expressing my opinion on the topic.

#39 Edited by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Hamz: not according to the poll released by the BBC of other countries, I know you guys slant Obama.

YOU CANT HIDE FROM ME.

(well most foreign countries are slanting Obama except for Pakistan and Israel but still)

#40 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

I live in Ohio, it's practically ground zero.

#41 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

I won't be voting. But I will definitely be held up in traffic on my way to class. Obama and Bruce Springsteen are gonna make it a pain in the ass to get downtown today.

I've had that happen a few times (Luckily Romney/Ryan largely stuck to Reno so it didn't get much worse).

Man, I live in Reno, as do my parents. Although I'm fortunate enough to not have a land line, my parents do, and I know whenever I've tried calling them, it goes straight to answering machine because apparently their phone does that whenever it has like 10+ messages on it. They clear the thing out frequently too.

I can't imagine what it must be like in Ohio...

#42 Posted by AlexW00d (6436 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Obama would be a conservative in Canada. That's scary.

And in Europe.

#43 Edited by Milkman (17316 posts) -

Here's a pretty interesting BBC poll on foreign countries' support of Obama and Romney.

Not all that complicated. But hey, if this America thing doesn't work out for Mitt (it won't), I guess he could try Pakistan.

I'll be voting tomorrow in New York even though it's obviously already a foregone conclusion here.

#44 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -
#45 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Voting Gary Johnson, most likely because I'm a naive college atheist. 
 
I live in NJ, so it doesn't really matter anyway. But if we can get 5% of the national vote...

#46 Posted by AlexW00d (6436 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hamz: not according to the poll released by the BBC of other countries, I know you guys slant Obama.

YOU CANT HIDE FROM ME.

(well most foreign countries are slanting Obama except for Pakistan and Israel but still)

I am pretty sure that's just cause they will slant for whichever party sends them to most money in aid, or whatever it's called these days.

#47 Posted by Tackchevy (266 posts) -

I wish we had a more representative system. I love Mexicans, gay people, don't really support a death penalty,etc, but I'm voting Republican because jobs and economy are my big issue, and the other guy hasn't shown me much there. It would be awesome if our system was such that three or more parties could be viable.

#48 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

Can we just skip the formalities and decide the presidency via cage death match? It would be much more entertaining.

#49 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Xtrememuffinman said:

Voting Gary Johnson, most likely because I'm a naive college atheist. I live in NJ, so it doesn't really matter anyway. But if we can get 5% of the national vote...

hey at least libertarians are going to get more than 1%

the poor green party won't :(

#50 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

My state always votes Democrat so I don't have to worry about Romney winning here. Will be voting for Jill Stein because yolo.