Giant Bomb's Official 2012 USA Presidental Election Thread

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

Well, regular voting starts tomorrow so I might as well make it now; lots of pollin data coming in, most of the polling data has the swing states leaning Obama, most of the people who actually use statistics have Obama as the heavy favorite (I got booted off NYT's website because they are big jerks but five thirty eight is a good read). So, any of you do early voting? I voted early because I was getting tired of people coming to the door and calling (let it be known that Obama's supporters are merciless, they came 4 times in one day once). Also any time I watch something on TV half of the ads are Romney ads (not that it's helping much, Obama has a fairly strong lead in Nevada).

I don't want this to be a discussion of their policies or whatever, heaven knows we already have enough of that. Just discuss the election, who you voted for if you have, whine about how you live in a swing state and you are getting tired of Romney ads (honestly I'd get tired of Obama ads if they were on more).

edit: If you are looking for your polling place then here is a link to somewhere where it tells you your polling place (thanks equitas!): http://www.yourfuckingpollingplace.com/

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Animasta
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I imagine this thread is for Americans only? I don't exactly see what I can contribute if I can't actually vote.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By scalpel

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson if I can be bothered, I've heard it's a hassle for outside-the-US citizens.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kre8havoc

This thread is treading on dangerous water. I have already voted. I don't live in a swing state though. I will keep who I voted for a mystery.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King said:

I imagine this thread is for Americans only? I don't exactly see what I can contribute if I can't actually vote.

plenty of europeans, canadians, lunarians can be entertained by the American Electoral process! there's plenty of funny shit around the election.

@scalpel: I was personally going to vote for Jill Stein but they didn't have her on the ballot :( bah humbug

@kre8havoc: I will report anyone who rants on both candidates' policies, unless it's super sleazy about the election itself, so DO NOT FEAR

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DriveupLife

Voting for Romney early morning tomorrow.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scalpel

@Animasta: That's weird. Is it state arbitration that decides who's on the ballot, or is there a set percentage requirement? At any rate, isn't there an empty field where you can fill in whoever?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EquitasInvictus
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Phatmac

Get to voting duders!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Animasta

@DriveupLife said:

Voting for Romney early morning tomorrow.

YEAH WELL HAVE A NICE TIME THEN (:3)

(I voted for Obama if that wasn't clear from my first post!)

Also this is a pretty funny picture of Obama

No Caption Provided

@scalpel: it was electrical and no, they only had gary johnson and the constitution party guy

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Subjugation

Already voted absentee over a week ago for Romney. Watching the results come in Tuesday will be intense. I'm just glad it's almost over so we don't have to hear about it anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Obama would be a conservative in Canada. That's scary.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Draxyle

@Animasta said:

There's evidence that the GOP secretary of state for Ohio is trying to do last minute voter suppression by invalidating thousands of votes due to new rules, p. messed up

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171011/eleventh-hour-gop-voter-suppression-could-swing-ohio

Absolutely insane that they keep getting away with this stuff. The people enacting these voter suppression laws belong in prison for trying to undermine the election process.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

@scalpel said:

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson if I can be bothered, I've heard it's a hassle for outside-the-US citizens.

Yeah I never understood the general process so I didn't manage to vote. Hopefully next time.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Draxyle

@Animasta said:

There's evidence that the GOP secretary of state for Ohio is trying to do last minute voter suppression by invalidating thousands of votes due to new rules, p. messed up

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171011/eleventh-hour-gop-voter-suppression-could-swing-ohio

Absolutely insane that they keep getting away with this stuff. The people enacting these voter suppression laws belong in prison for trying to undermine the election process.

Fucking yup. It's really gross. Especially the guy in Pennsylvania who openly admitted to doing it for Romney's benefit. I don't care whose side you're on, if you're trying to suppress voters or destroy their registrations, you're scum.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@MikkaQ said:

@scalpel said:

Yeah I never understood the general process so I didn't manage to vote. Hopefully next time.

some places you can register right when you go to vote, so make sure to check your local laws (here are the states that allow this according to wikipedia) Eight states have some form of Election Day voter registration: Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Washington DC. Montana began Election Day voter registration in 2006, and Iowa in 2008. Connecticut and Rhode Island also have Election Day registration, but only for presidential elections.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

No one who wants to be president, should be allowed to be president.
If I was at my computer I would find the exact quote from the hitchhiker guide.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar

I won't be voting. But I will definitely be held up in traffic on my way to class. Obama and Bruce Springsteen are gonna make it a pain in the ass to get downtown today.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Animasta

@Turambar said:

I won't be voting. But I will definitely be held up in traffic on my way to class. Obama and Bruce Springsteen are gonna make it a pain in the ass to get downtown today.

I've had that happen a few times (Luckily Romney/Ryan largely stuck to Reno so it didn't get much worse).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

@Animasta said:

@MikkaQ said:

@scalpel said:

some places you can register right when you go to vote, so make sure to check your local laws (here are the states that allow this according to wikipedia) Eight states have some form of Election Day voter registration: Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Washington DC. Montana began Election Day voter registration in 2006, and Iowa in 2008. Connecticut and Rhode Island also have Election Day registration, but only for presidential elections.

Well it's more that I'm a US citizen living in Canada, so I'd have to go talk to the consulate and that's a process I should have gotten started a long time ago.

The funny thing is I tried participating in the French election (I have a citizenship for there too) and my ballot came in the mail the day after the damn election!

I have no luck with this stuff.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

Voted absentee a few weeks back. I'm just looking forward to all this being over, one way or another. 

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoFooQ

There are 12 people on the ballot in florida for President:

Thomas Robert Stevens, Gary Johnson, Virgil H. Goode Jr., Jill Stein, Andre Barnett, Stewart Alexander, Peta Lindsay, Roseanne Barr, Tom Hoefling, Ross C. "Rocky" Anderson, Mitt and Barack

I will go vote tomorrow after breakfast and hopefully it shouldn't take more than a hour. For whoever asked No all states don't have the same ballet. I use to live in Illinois and there are only 3 people on the ballet there, Rep, Dem, Green no Roseanne Barr or communist party. I can't believe the lines of people down here who have been spending 4+ hours waiting in line to vote early. If you didn't want to stroll over on tuesday like me, than you should have just asked for a mail ballet. In Florida anyone can vote via mail if they request a ballet, and there is no reason needed. 4 years ago on of my brothers had moved across the country but rather than reregistrating he just requested and a Florida ballet through the mail and voted that way. I will be so happy when this is all over

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sanity

Im also not voting, neither candidate is worth my time this election. Im of the mind were screwed either way.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By imsh_pl

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Animasta

@imsh_pl said:

Kinda sad that Ron Paul isn't up for election. But then again, he'd never win; nonetheless his contribution to promoting individual liberty is astounding.

yeah, but Gary Johnson is a way better person than Ron Paul, so there's that

edit; I mean come on, at least support the entire party instead of just Ron Paul

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Dagbiker

Even if your not voting for president you can still vote for local crap like spending and gay marriage and stuff.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By imsh_pl

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with Johnson's programme so I can't really comment on that.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ajamafalous

I'd vote but I don't live in a swing state.

Fucking garbage political system.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By asmo917

I voted in-person absentee in Virginia on Saturday. We're a swing state, but nothing like my old home in Ohio - my parents are getting inundated with ads, mailings, and calls.

I'm going to go ahead and make a bold prediction: it's not even close. The media's horse race narrative is driven by a need to sell copy, and the rise of Fox News, and to a lesser extent MSNBC, have shown people's willingness to consume news and commentary from sources sharing their ideology. The popular vote may be close, but that means jack-shit when it comes to actually electing a President. Take this to your bookie: Obama wins with at least 300 electoral votes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Animasta

@imsh_pl said:

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with Johnson's programme so I can't really comment on that.

he is much like ron paul (militarily/drug speaking) only he supports abortion and same sex marriage and did not put his name on racist pamphlets in the 90's.

also he's not angling to go back to the gold standard either.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rentfn

@Dagbiker: “The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

@Asmo917: you are right of course, obama's even fairly close on the more conservative swing states (NC and FL, though he's not likely to get FL)

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By imsh_pl

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Animasta said:

@imsh_pl said:

also he's not angling to go back to the gold standard either.

That's a shame.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta

@imsh_pl: okay sorry let's get off this topic because this topic leads only to arguments and shame (shame for you because this site still leans democratic pretty hard no matter how many paulites are here)

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Hamz

Just a reminder for everyone to keep it civil and we can keep the topic open for folks to discuss the subject. But the moment it devolves into mindless bickering and outright trolling/flaming then the topic will be locked and warnings and/or suspensions handed out.
And for the sake of disclosure and transparency, I'm from the UK so no political preference on the subject.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By imsh_pl

@Animasta: Sure, was just expressing my opinion on the topic.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Animasta

@Hamz: not according to the poll released by the BBC of other countries, I know you guys slant Obama.

YOU CANT HIDE FROM ME.

(well most foreign countries are slanting Obama except for Pakistan and Israel but still)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By EpicSteve

I live in Ohio, it's practically ground zero.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silvergun

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

I've had that happen a few times (Luckily Romney/Ryan largely stuck to Reno so it didn't get much worse).

Man, I live in Reno, as do my parents. Although I'm fortunate enough to not have a land line, my parents do, and I know whenever I've tried calling them, it goes straight to answering machine because apparently their phone does that whenever it has like 10+ messages on it. They clear the thing out frequently too.

I can't imagine what it must be like in Ohio...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexW00d

@Brodehouse said:

Obama would be a conservative in Canada. That's scary.

And in Europe.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Milkman

Here's a pretty interesting BBC poll on foreign countries' support of Obama and Romney.

No Caption Provided

Not all that complicated. But hey, if this America thing doesn't work out for Mitt (it won't), I guess he could try Pakistan.

I'll be voting tomorrow in New York even though it's obviously already a foregone conclusion here.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta
Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Voting Gary Johnson, most likely because I'm a naive college atheist. 

I live in NJ, so it doesn't really matter anyway. But if we can get 5% of the national vote...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexW00d

@Animasta said:

@Hamz: not according to the poll released by the BBC of other countries, I know you guys slant Obama.

YOU CANT HIDE FROM ME.

(well most foreign countries are slanting Obama except for Pakistan and Israel but still)

I am pretty sure that's just cause they will slant for whichever party sends them to most money in aid, or whatever it's called these days.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Tackchevy

I wish we had a more representative system. I love Mexicans, gay people, don't really support a death penalty,etc, but I'm voting Republican because jobs and economy are my big issue, and the other guy hasn't shown me much there. It would be awesome if our system was such that three or more parties could be viable.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By musubi

Can we just skip the formalities and decide the presidency via cage death match? It would be much more entertaining.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Animasta

@Xtrememuffinman said:

Voting Gary Johnson, most likely because I'm a naive college atheist. I live in NJ, so it doesn't really matter anyway. But if we can get 5% of the national vote...

hey at least libertarians are going to get more than 1%

the poor green party won't :(

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PeasantAbuse

My state always votes Democrat so I don't have to worry about Romney winning here. Will be voting for Jill Stein because yolo.