Giantbomb Contests -Bias against the UK?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

I'm sure there's not some intentional "Fuck the Brits" attitude around the GB office, far from it. I'm just wondering why no contests can be taken part/won by people in the UK?

Animevice is in the same building, and they are open to UK residents. Is there any real reason for this?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm more curious why Ryan seems to hate English people so much. You so much as mention the UK to him and he's all like "OH U ALRIGHT GUVNA GOD BRITISH PEOPLE SOUND SO DUMB"

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By SlowHands
@Fallen189:  Now you're being biased against the rest of Europe.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189
@MysteriousBob said:
" I'm more curious why Ryan seems to hate English people so much. You so much as mention the UK to him and he's all like "OH U ALRIGHT GUVNA GOD BRITISH PEOPLE SOUND SO DUMB" "
I think that's just become a running joke. I don't mean to imply there's any kind of ACTUAL hatred, just more of wondering why we can't win contests? I presume it's actually shipping fees, but it'd be nice for a more defined answer. Or an alternative, like the winner can offer to pay shipping fees themselves or something. Also, UK customs are kind of fucking terrible, actually.
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlowHands
@Fallen189:  It's usually to do with some weird hassling that is associated with international shipping.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

I find it surprising that other people are still surprised when contest are limited to one country or region only.

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AdH0c

All their digital prizes are international. It is I think just International shipping (cost and reliability).

As for the guys hating British people it is generally the same with a lot of people from the US. They think there is a big rivalry between the two nations when it is only on their side. Similar to us and the German's. Whenever their is an England vs Germany match the press make it out as something big but over in Germany their big match is Germany vs Holland.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@AdH0c said:
" All their digital prizes are international. It is I think just International shipping (cost and reliability). As for the guys hating British people it is generally the same with a lot of people from the US. They think there is a big rivalry between the two nations when it is only on their side. Similar to us and the German's. Whenever their is an England vs Germany match the press make it out as something big but over in Germany their big match is Germany vs Holland. "
QI is a great show, isn't it?
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By samcotts
@MysteriousBob said:
" @AdH0c said:
" All their digital prizes are international. It is I think just International shipping (cost and reliability). As for the guys hating British people it is generally the same with a lot of people from the US. They think there is a big rivalry between the two nations when it is only on their side. Similar to us and the German's. Whenever their is an England vs Germany match the press make it out as something big but over in Germany their big match is Germany vs Holland. "
QI is a great show, isn't it? "
Ha. Was about to say the same thing. I <3 Stephen Fry. 

Can't believe Jeff said he was becoming annoying. If only he knew that Mr. Fry is probably the most loved Brit in the UK.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
@samcotts said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @AdH0c said:
Ha. Was about to say the same thing. I <3 Stephen Fry.  Can't believe Jeff said he was becoming annoying. If only he knew that Mr. Fry is probably the most loved Brit in the UK. "
He said what now? Fuck Jeff. He might as well take a shit on the Union Jack for saying that.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar

i find it hilarious that the TC speaks about bias against the UK, when he's being hugely biased against the rest of Europe

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Xandurson

I'm sure it's just a mixture of shipping and legal issues. I highly doubt that any of them hate anybody in the UK, the French maybe, but not the UK.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By FreakAche

@Rhaknar
And Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AdH0c
@MysteriousBob said:
" @AdH0c said:
Damn, got busted!! Although I did know before that QI episode that there was bad blood between Germany and Holland during football matches just did not know that our rivalry with the German's was so one sided.
gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By gike987
@AdH0c said:
So you trying to say people in most countries don't like to hate US? You only have to mention the name before someone makes a joke about "the stupid Americans".
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Rhaknar
@FreakAche said:
" @Rhaknar And Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. "
well i said europe because, and im not generalizing the british peeps, but I happen to know a lot of british people that talk like they are not part of europe, which annoys me :P

Again, not saying every brit, or even the majority thinks that, but i do happen to know quite a few that do :D
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By penguindust

There are states in the United States which are void to contests due to laws within those states that bar them.  Rhode Island, Arizona and Florida are often excluded from participating in national contests.  The legality of national and international competitions are taken on a case by case basis.  Most won't be available outside the US due to legal hoops and roadblocks.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallen189

I'm not trying to spark international ire here, by the way :P

When I get paid, will potentially be running a contest for UK people (Maybe apply it to the EU, depends how harsh fees are, wasn't that bad last time I sent from UK>Denmark)

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AdH0c
@gike987 said:
" @AdH0c said:
So you trying to say people in most countries don't like to hate US? You only have to mention the name before someone makes a joke about "the stupid Americans". "
No, I am saying that the rivalry between the US and UK is more on the US side. Our main rivalry (in our minds anyway) is more with Germany.
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sadisticham
@MysteriousBob: It's not hatred it's just ignorance. I've noticed it as well. Hes like one of those steriotypical americans that people make jokes about. Big, loud and ignorant. Opens his mouth without thinking a bit to much. Fair enough he thinks hes being funny and I'm sure it's a giggle..the first time.

But as you said he does it..every single time. In the end you just roll your eyes and think "yup..*insert steriotypical insult*"

As  for the topic it's not bias..most American based competitions stay in America.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti
@MysteriousBob:
@Sadisticham:
To those being offended by a bit of funny digs at other nationalities. You need to srsly either grow a thicker skin or take a more easy going outlook on life. Chillax. He makes fun of many things not just UK many times about things that are relevant to myself, but so what? I chuckle every time they talk about games developed in Eastern Europe for example, getting it wrong oh so very frequently and calling them Russian developed, I could get offended but I don't :) . As for doing it every time, well most people have patterns in their behavior, surprise surprise.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Tennmuerti:  
My point is that he does is ALL THE DAMN TIME. Even if I did find it funny- shit is getting old.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator

As a brit I don't feel especially segregated from the rest of the community. It's a little frustrating that I can't buy from the store (I would have bought like six of those Oscar Mike shirts) but apart from that I don't really care. When Ryan got back from Liverpool he seemed to have only nice things to say. And, when push comes to shove, we give the yanks their fair share of shit as well. We just don't have a podcast to broadcast it from.

It's weird how there are very few successful british game-themed podcasts to contrast this. The IGN uk one isn't bad, but I often feel like they are doing it out of a sense of duty as opposed to because they actually have anything interesting to say. The dudes just aren't funny.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CABBAGES
@AdH0c: you mean england and germany not UK and germany! A few people in this thread referd to english while we were talkin about the UK. Now that is offensive.
AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AdH0c
@CABBAGES said:
" @AdH0c: you mean england and germany not UK and germany! A few people in this thread referd to english while we were talkin about the UK. Now that is offensive. "
Yeah good point well made (although I did put England vs Germany and not UK). I think the main reason for this (UK/England confusion) is that Brad does his "British impression" and it is always comes out like he is from the south east of England.
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pessh

Think it's to do with shipping.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob
@AdH0c said:
" @CABBAGES said:
" @AdH0c: you mean england and germany not UK and germany! A few people in this thread referd to english while we were talkin about the UK. Now that is offensive. "
Yeah good point well made (although I did put England vs Germany and not UK). I think the main reason for this (UK/England confusion) is that Brad does his "British impression" and it is always comes out like he is from the south east of England. "
Brad? Never heard him do a bad fake accent. 

Americans don't seem to realise there's no such thing as a "British accent" other than the classification of them all. There's geordie, cockney, RP, scouse and countless others. Its what you get when your country is home to your own language. It develops differently in different regions. I have an American in my English Language lectures who actually said before she moved here in September she thought all British people sounded like Hugh Grant- and she studied language at university level. Not to mention that most Americans seem to think that 'Britain' is just a synonym for 'England'. I've never heard of an American refer to a Scottish accent (which is also just a classification of more variants) as a British accent.

This may be a generalisation, but I have the examples to back them up.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mmmslash

My bigger issue with this thread is that a lot of folks referring to Ryan (Or Americans in general) as having a poor sense of the people and culture of the UK, then go on to call us big, dumb, loud, and ignorant.

That's totally awesome guys, and completely proving that the UK is way more mature and cool.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Mmmslash said:
" My bigger issue with this thread is that a lot of folks referring to Ryan (Or Americans in general) as having a poor sense of the people and culture of the UK, then go on to call us big, dumb, loud, and ignorant.  That's totally awesome guys, and completely proving that the UK is way more mature and cool. "
We wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Its not their poor knowledge of the UK (we're not that egotistical), its just their consistently horrible knowledge of all geography.
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sadisticham
@Mmmslash: I don't think anyone is saying that. Nor am i all that angry over it. But everytime england gets brought up and hes in the area you're gaurenteed to hear his english accent. It stops being funny really after the first time. That's all. Nothing to do with being more cool, more mature or better.

Also i did call him big (he is and if i was trying to be rude i could of been), i did call him loud (he is..nothing wrong with that) and he does come across as ignorant (that one there is my opinion!) and i did point out that's a rather sterio typical view on Americans..and it is. I didn't say it was correct. It's no more correct than his english accent.
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alexl86

Eh, like all of us from other continents, you can't participate in most of the contests. Besides, if they were to start shipping to UK, they might as well start shipping to all the countries outside the US.

As for a bias, since you can't win most of the contests, and there are more Americans here than people from any other country, it's only natural that Americans will get most of the prizes. Even if a contest was open to all users, UK would still be a minority and I wouldn't be surprised if users from the UK didn't win.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By Davvyk
@MysteriousBob said:

" I'm more curious why Ryan seems to hate English people so much. You so much as mention the UK to him and he's all like "OH U ALRIGHT GUVNA GOD BRITISH PEOPLE SOUND SO DUMB" "

Its just what people do. Im english and all we ever do is take the piss (typical brit lingo i know) out of the french, welsh,scots. Its all in good fun.  
max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By max3000

I don't know if you guys noticed but there are a few QLEXs where they bring UK-based indie devs and promote them. So that kind of negates the whole bias thing doesn't it?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fallen189
@max3000 said:
" I don't know if you guys noticed but there are a few QLEXs where they bring UK-based indie devs and promote them. So that kind of negates the whole bias thing doesn't it? "
Not what I said in the OP ><
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SSValis

You guys must be really sensitive if you get upset about some American doing a bad English accent jokingly. In my whole 19 years of living I have never heard a British person say anything good about America and that is the gods honest truth.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are huge legal issues with opening up competitions to other countries. It's got nothing to do with bias or anything, its that it would cost waaaay too much to pay someone to get around the legal issues with such competitions.

As for the jokes on the bombcast - they're just jokes. And they're funny. You're taking both the bombcast and yourself too seriously if you can't see that.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

South or North Americans? See! You stupid English are getting us all mixed up! 

On the real though, I know there are many different accents when it comes to the English. I can, most of the time, pick a Welsh out of a conversation. I know that each different area has their own accent. I have lived in the U.S. my entire life, besides that short stint in Germany, and we make fun of our other accents internally. I live in California and make fun of people with New England and southern accents. It's all in good fun. Lighten up, Jesus.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jimbo

It wouldn't be fair on everybody else if we were allowed to enter?  More seriously, because the Atlantic is pretty big, and spending $30 on postage when the prize is a $5 t-shirt or something is really fucking stupid.  

I don't get any kind of anti-UK vibe from these guys at all, and it's kinda getting a bit embarassing how whiney some of you are being about it.  Do you think we built the Empire by acting like a bunch of wibbly-lipped cry babies?  No sir, we did not.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EvilTwin
@AdH0c said:
"No, I am saying that the rivalry between the US and UK is more on the US side. Our main rivalry (in our minds anyway) is more with Germany. "
What rivalry?  In sports?  What sports?  Most American sports rivalries are internal.  Olympic rivalries?  USSR/Russia if anyone.  And why do you keep trying to speak for two entire countries?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

Being British is awesome...that is all.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pazy

I would love to enter competitions and win stuff from here but considering international shipping can really bite you its understandable. Although I do wish next time someone mentions UK they would try out a different accident to bludgeon to death rather than their current one, id like to hear them try to be Scottish, Welsh or maybe (northern) Irish?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By subject2change

Both Kotaku and Destructoid run contests as well and its the same thing US residents only unless its a European specific contest which I know Destructoid has run in the past. It's what happens when the site is located in one country  compared to another. There has to be at least one decent non main-stream European gaming site that runs contests.

I see your point, I can understand if an item is region locked like say a Game or whatever due to PAL and NTSC standards however for things like a t-shirt or other swag international shipping with isn't all that bad just takes time. Can be a bit expensive however I have shipped stuff to Brazil, Canada, Russia and Mexico in the past without issues through the United States Postal Service. The cost would be negligible for something light. 

Expanded a contest to other countries would make it more interesting especially if it required a video or some photoshopping, etc it makes it larger.

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bogitt

I'm from the South of England and I find the stupid accent they do pretty funny and hell at least they don't do much of the whole British people have terrible teeth stuff (regardless of any truth to it). We should probably stop talking about this as it is not going to end well.

Avatar image for wingedlegionary
wingedlegionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wingedlegionary
@PenguinDust said:
" There are states in the United States which are void to contests due to laws within those states that bar them.  Rhode Island, Arizona and Florida are often excluded from participating in national contests.  The legality of national and international competitions are taken on a case by case basis.  Most won't be available outside the US due to legal hoops and roadblocks. "
This. ^^  
Joystiq also have the same issue when they do give-aways.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Brad
@PenguinDust said:
" There are states in the United States which are void to contests due to laws within those states that bar them.  Rhode Island, Arizona and Florida are often excluded from participating in national contests.  The legality of national and international competitions are taken on a case by case basis.  Most won't be available outside the US due to legal hoops and roadblocks. "

This is the only correct answer.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Elazul
@Brad said:
" @PenguinDust said:
 This is the only correct answer. "
Wait, you mean that it's not because Jeff, a man who went out of his way to import the last Goldie Lookin' Chain album, hates British culture?

Shocking.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fallen189
@Brad said:
" @PenguinDust said:
 This is the only correct answer. "
That was exactly what I assumed, and hoped to hear. Well, the purpose of this thread is now done, feel free to lock at a moderators discretion.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By FLStyle

Just before it is I'd just like to say that in my opinion GB has been one of the the most UK-friendly US based sites around. I find GB no more offensive than Family Guy.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bionicicide
@Pazy said:

" I would love to enter competitions and win stuff from here but considering international shipping can really bite you its understandable. Although I do wish next time someone mentions UK they would try out a different accident to bludgeon to death rather than their current one, id like to hear them try to be Scottish, Welsh or maybe (northern) Irish? "

Americans don't recognize Scotland and Ireland as apart of the UK. We just don't.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Clinkz
@Fallen189 said:

" I'm sure there's not some intentional "Fuck the Brits" attitude around the GB office, far from it. I'm just wondering why no contests can be taken part/won by people in the UK?  Animevice is in the same building, and they are open to UK residents. Is there any real reason for this? "

Of course there's no such attitude; why even word it that way? There are undoubtedly a handful of roadblocks that giant bomb doesn't want to deal with. I'm sure they love and encourage a global fan base.