• 197 results
Posted by Fobwashed (1899 posts) -

So as far as I'm concerned, there isn't nearly enough Persona/Giant Bomb artwork available. So I plan to attempt to remedy this. I've never tried an "anime" or specifically Persona style before and so I'm thinkin we'll all be learnin together. In any case, I whipped up a rough draft of what I'd sorta like to go for and for the most part finished one head just to give you guys a feel for what I'm shooting for. This'll prolly be a longer term type thing because I've only got a half hour here and there to devote to this with everything else going on in my life but I'll keep updating here and hopefully ya'll can give me some constructive criticisms along the way.

I get the feeling Vin's beard is a little too thick. I'm also considering giving him a proper stache instead of the stubble streaks. I'm also giving them all a bit of a serious "shit's about to go down" type attitude rather than happy go lucky. I'm planning on having Vinny's eyes show through his glasses some what as well and I'll recolor them when I get around to it. I know there are a couple critical people missing here, but I thought this time I'd stick strictly to the main bombcasters so that I actually finish and don't bite off more than I can chew. And don't ask why Ryan is naked. He just is. Deal with it.

#1 Edited by Fobwashed (1899 posts) -

So as far as I'm concerned, there isn't nearly enough Persona/Giant Bomb artwork available. So I plan to attempt to remedy this. I've never tried an "anime" or specifically Persona style before and so I'm thinkin we'll all be learnin together. In any case, I whipped up a rough draft of what I'd sorta like to go for and for the most part finished one head just to give you guys a feel for what I'm shooting for. This'll prolly be a longer term type thing because I've only got a half hour here and there to devote to this with everything else going on in my life but I'll keep updating here and hopefully ya'll can give me some constructive criticisms along the way.

I get the feeling Vin's beard is a little too thick. I'm also considering giving him a proper stache instead of the stubble streaks. I'm also giving them all a bit of a serious "shit's about to go down" type attitude rather than happy go lucky. I'm planning on having Vinny's eyes show through his glasses some what as well and I'll recolor them when I get around to it. I know there are a couple critical people missing here, but I thought this time I'd stick strictly to the main bombcasters so that I actually finish and don't bite off more than I can chew. And don't ask why Ryan is naked. He just is. Deal with it.

#2 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Already love this, but Vinny's hair color is too light, unless that is what you were going for. He looks cool all the same.

#3 Posted by Driam (157 posts) -

Damn. That is some good looking stuff.

#4 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

My only issue at the moment is that Jeff simply looks too young. Like, he's the oldest in the group, but he looks younger than anyone but Patrick. Otherwise, Patrick and Brad are spot on. I might go with black hair for Vinny, as the brown makes it simply not look that much like Vinny. If nothing else, a darker brown might fit better.

Of course, proper source image for "how to draw Persona character that is also Vinny-esque."

Dojima Costumes

Obviously, broader shoulders and jawline are important; Dojima's really a pretty weird-looking dude. But the spirit of the image is about right. I'd get all formal analysis on it, but I'm not only too tired but also not willing to stare at a photo of Vinny long enough to make that feasible right now.

Good luck, duder! You constantly put out great work.

#5 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

So awesome. Love Ryan's giant hair. If I didn't know better, I'd say Soejima drew it himself.

#6 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Awesome stuff! Can't wait to see these finished, Brad in particular looks spot on.

#7 Posted by StarvingGamer (7996 posts) -

First off let me say awesome work as always.

However, I'm no art guy and can't really articulate this well, but something about the style of the Vinny picture looks really "American" to me. Like if I consider it piece by piece I can see where the Persona inspiration is coming from, but at-a-glance I don't think I would have ever drawn that connection. Maybe something to do with the hair?

Sorry, maybe I'm just dumb at art.

#8 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

This is fucking awesome.

#9 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Ryan's hair is lustrous and magnificent. Can't wait to see this finished.

#10 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

My anticipation for seeing the end result of this is high. Well done, sir, I think it looks awesome, even if it is mostly just sketches right now.

#11 Posted by Lykos (66 posts) -

I think the important thing you need to get right is the eyes. Soejima has a distinct way of drawing eyes on his characters, and if you can get that right, it'll probably go a long way in making them look Persona-like.

#12 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

Great work dude, but Ryan should be on the bottom left, to balance out the beards.

#13 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Lykos said:

I think the important thing you need to get right is the eyes. Soejima has a distinct way of drawing eyes on his characters, and if you can get that right, it'll probably go a long way in making them look Persona-like.

Yeah. Track down some high-res portraits of Kanji, Yosuke and Dojima, and try and get a feel for how he draws them(eyes+eyebrows). I'll also add that you've made their noses a tad too large too pass off as Soejima.

...But if you really want to Soejima-up this joint, make their necks longer and give them all ridiculous collars.

It looks nice, OP, for sure. Good luck in getting it done!

@ckeats

said:

Soejima drew it himself.

Let's not get crazy!
#14 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

@Landon said:

Already love this, but Vinny's hair color is too light, unless that is what you were going for. He looks cool all the same.

same thought. looks a little weird with it brown when his hair is black, but if that's what you want it all looks great. can't wait to see it finished.

#15 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

@mutha3: Life isn't fun if you can't get crazy once in a while.

#16 Posted by Splodge (1067 posts) -

Amazing. Patrick's thousand yard stare is pure Persona.

#17 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

As others pointed out already, Vinny's hair is darker than that. Great job capturing the feel of the Persona 4 art style, looks really well done.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10473 posts) -

Great work!

#19 Posted by rmanthorp (3875 posts) -

DADS!

#20 Posted by Levius (1076 posts) -

Man, that is really awesome, I can't wait to see them coloured in. Brad in particular looks like he has been ripped from the game.

#21 Posted by CodeTherion (42 posts) -

This is amazing!

Once this is all wrapped up I would love to see the guys Personas. That project could make for some crazy character analysis work.

#22 Posted by EuanDewar (4757 posts) -

You are making twitter avatars for the staff faster than they can use them

#23 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Man it is crazy how much the Persona 4 endurance run has defined this website.

Also thats some awesome art, cant wait to see it finished!

#24 Posted by Happenstance (462 posts) -

Thats some awesome art, cant wait to see more of it!

#25 Posted by Pabba (317 posts) -

This is looking truly epic already! Keep going :D

#26 Posted by BBAlpert (1370 posts) -

Looking amazing so far. If I had to make any suggestions, however minor, I'd say that Patrick could possibly do with a little more Funky Student in him.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36000 posts) -

Why did I think you were ?

#28 Posted by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

I was expecting something weird, instead I found something surprisingly awesome. Can't wait to see Brad and Patrick colored in, they look almost perfect.

#29 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

Brad's nose is a bit wonky, Jeff needs a bit of work and Vinny's hair should be darker. Apart from that, perfect.

#30 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Ryan kind've looks like a bearded Drew to me for some reason.

Still, I endorse this project 100%.

#31 Posted by RTSlord (1198 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

This is fucking awesome.

#32 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Looks great! Give us more more more!

#33 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I recommend you look at some more Persona 4 people and focus on the eyes. Other than that this is a dream come true.

#34 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

So when are you making a Giant Bomb game? You know you want to.

#35 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

Love it! So I'm at university right now between classes, and I just cant wait to get home and play some more Persona 3. It's been awhile since a game's weighed so heavily on my mind, I'm like 57 hours into it now and it just keeps getting better. Cant wait to see more artwork, man.

#36 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

Ryan's hair looks so luxurious O__O

#37 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

Looks incredible. I love it.

#38 Posted by TehChich (163 posts) -

Makes me want to attempt a big project thing, but idk what to do...

#39 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

Ryan and Vinny's hair is a bit....too exaggerated. And yes, Jeff does look really young.

Other than that, Brad and Patrick are perfect already. Can't wait to see the final version, and the resulting Personas!

#40 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

Something about Jeff is off and it's freaking me out but the rest of the crew look fantastic.

#41 Posted by wumbo3000 (937 posts) -

Holy crap, Vinny's hair looks exactly like Yosuke's hair. Well, not the style but the texture of it. Great job dude!

#42 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -

Yes! Now I want a Persona game where you play as the bomb squad, except they're all completely aware that they're in the game. Jeff and Vinny are pissed.

#43 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Brad needs a band aid to be the Akihiko surrogate.

#44 Posted by Superkenon (1390 posts) -

I love this.

#45 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I think the twist will be that Jeff was the culprit all along.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Ryan looks like Kenny Powers with that mullet. Awesome.

#47 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@wumbo3000 said:

Holy crap, Vinny's hair looks exactly like Yosuke's hair. Well, not the style but the texture of it. Great job dude!

What about Patrick? His face is basically Yosuke with a smaller chin in this artwork :P
#48 Posted by Zleunamme (651 posts) -

I like where this is heading, keep going.

#49 Posted by probablytuna (3535 posts) -

Patrick needs to be a lot slimmer. Also Ryan's hair is too long. Nitpicky sure, but just some suggestions! The others look great though!

#50 Posted by wumbo3000 (937 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@wumbo3000 said:

What about Patrick? His face is basically Yosuke with a smaller chin in this artwork :P

True, but I was talking more about the hair texture. It's hard to imagine Yosuke on Patrick's face with Patrick's amazing fro.