#1 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

This post recently inspired me to take my go at a retro giantbomb poster. If you haven't seen brandonleedy's Atari 2600 inspired Giantbomb, seriously check it out, it's my phone wallpaper right now. So what I did though isn't really directly inspired by the 2600 box art, but it does borrow the font to a degree, and the color palette. Here you go!

The orange version.
Brown and purple.
Classic Giantbomb theme.

Here's a link for the uncompressed versions! Black/white/red theme.

#2 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

I would seriously buy one if it was a poster. Great work dude!

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

The red one looks nice. Not a fan of the orange one.

#4 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

The red one looks nice. Not a fan of the orange one.

Ha perfect, I couldn't choose which one looked better for me, so that works out.

#5 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

What software did yo use to make this? Adobe Illustrator? Looks really great, especially the orange variant. Though as a small nitpick, sorry, I would personally get rid of one of the "The"s (no idea how to say that).

#6 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

What software did yo use to make this? Adobe Illustrator? Looks really great, especially the orange variant. Though as a small nitpick, sorry, I would personally get rid of one of the "The"s (no idea how to say that).

GIMP 2. something.

EDIT: Gimp 2.8 is the specific version.

#7 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

Nice work I really like the red one.

#8 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
#9 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Also, for some reason the bomb shine didn't transfer to the fixed ones, but after looking at it that way, it looks a bit cleaner and fits the aesthetic. BUT I can add it back too, this is a response to the pale king, I just can't reply on a phone for some reason.

#10 Posted by Daneian (1228 posts) -

This is the only community I've ever been a part of, so I've gotta ask: do other sites command this sort of awesome love?

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@Daneian said:

This is the only community I've ever been a part of, so I've gotta ask: do other sites command this sort of awesome love?

1UP did back in its glory days. Any website where the focus is on the personalities probably do.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Nice work, duder!

#13 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

Awesome! I really love these.

#14 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (388 posts) -

Just made the red one my iPod Background. Nice work, duder!

#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@SotoSaki said:

Just made the red one my iPod Background. Nice work, duder!

Ha, very nice, thanks.

#16 Posted by Wacomole (818 posts) -

My eyes thank you for that treat. Good Job sir!

#17 Posted by DEFE (244 posts) -

These are awesome! The first is definitely my favorite. I like having "the" in there. Great work.

#18 Posted by Joker369 (875 posts) -

Awesome. Thanks for the wallpaper duder. I like the red one especially.

#19 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

Rad.

#20 Posted by RazielCuts (2950 posts) -

I like the first red one as it feels 'classic', also like the purple and yellow on the last but not sure about the yellow ochre used as the main colour. But cool stuff dude, keep it up. This and the Pitfall esque one have been pretty cool.

#21 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

I like the first red one as it feels 'classic', also like the purple and yellow on the last but not sure about the yellow ochre used as the main colour. But cool stuff dude, keep it up. This and the Pitfall esque one have been pretty cool.

Thanks a lot, I was thinking the orange would look the most classic because of a bunch of 2600 game boxarts using the color, but you're right, somehow the red fits the look much nicer.

#22 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

Very cool. I'd like to see one with the red/black/white scheme, if that's possible.

#23 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Very cool. I'd like to see one with the red/black/white scheme, if that's possible.

It is, I'll work on it now.

#24 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Love the first one.

Also the fact that it's 'The' Giant Bomb.

#25 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Something like this?

#26 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@ThePickle said:

Something like this?

Yes! That's great!