ConayR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By ConayR

Hello World!

I've been visiting GiantBomb.com semi-regularly pretty much since its inception but it hasn't been till today (well, yesterday local time) that I've decided to register. Big Live Live Show Live contributed a bit I guess. As a software developer I look at things with a significant nerd-bend but I've decided to dedicate this first post to my initial impressions of the site from the account owner point of view. We all know that content around here rocks and that's something that doesn't require any emphasis. :)

First the bad stuff.

Navigation is really inconsistent. I'll probably file a bunch of bugs on this topic (not hoping for the fix anytime soon) but let's look at the very simple thing, the top-level navigation. There are two "dimensions" in which you navigate the site, let's call them content and personal. Content is everything you access via the red bar on top and personal is pretty much gathered in your profile tag in the top right corner. They both have pretty nice drop-down menus, but for some unknown reason they behave different. Content reacts on mouse-over and personal reacts to the click. What's even worse is that closing personal menu requires clicking on the nickname itself and clicking anywhere on the screen is not enough.

That's really bad and leads to some nasty situations, potentially even data loss. Let's say you're editing your blog and you hover over the Browse menu item in the content menu. If you expect it to behave the way personal navigation does, you click on Browse and... lose all the stuff typed in the editor. And you may expect that dynamics if you were browsing your profile, achievements, quests, etc. and got used to clicking to close the menu. It's all muscles memory and can be trained but it would be much better if it just was consistent.

There are some other tiny things that break the overall experience, most of them related to the amount of JavaScript this site is packed with. Image management is a complete dog in probably any browser other than FireFox. Which I dislike with passion. ;] Opera - blocked. IE8 - broken. What the heck? Some CSS is busted here and there as well and there are some other UX issues I find annoying. I'll probably bitch about it on forums as well. :)

Now the good stuff.

Boy is this site awesome or what? :D Content is KING but pretty much every single feature here makes sense. The way Wikid is organized is well thought through (although there's some crap content here and there that could use some cleanup; and will) and pretty much everything you'd expect is here. But social aspects of GiantBomb and definitely the crown jewel of web development. Stuff like FB, Twitter and achievement synchronization are cool but features from blogs to interactive wall to the way forums are implemented (and have bio instead of signature) are pure gold. No fluff, pure "let's socialize boys and girls!" functionality. I like it.

Don't have much to say about the community itself YET since I've had this account for what? 5 hours? But I'm hoping for the best.

So yeah, this is my first blog post on this site, I hope you report it for deletion and have a good time in general. :)

Cheers!

ConayR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ConayR

Hello World!

I've been visiting GiantBomb.com semi-regularly pretty much since its inception but it hasn't been till today (well, yesterday local time) that I've decided to register. Big Live Live Show Live contributed a bit I guess. As a software developer I look at things with a significant nerd-bend but I've decided to dedicate this first post to my initial impressions of the site from the account owner point of view. We all know that content around here rocks and that's something that doesn't require any emphasis. :)

First the bad stuff.

Navigation is really inconsistent. I'll probably file a bunch of bugs on this topic (not hoping for the fix anytime soon) but let's look at the very simple thing, the top-level navigation. There are two "dimensions" in which you navigate the site, let's call them content and personal. Content is everything you access via the red bar on top and personal is pretty much gathered in your profile tag in the top right corner. They both have pretty nice drop-down menus, but for some unknown reason they behave different. Content reacts on mouse-over and personal reacts to the click. What's even worse is that closing personal menu requires clicking on the nickname itself and clicking anywhere on the screen is not enough.

That's really bad and leads to some nasty situations, potentially even data loss. Let's say you're editing your blog and you hover over the Browse menu item in the content menu. If you expect it to behave the way personal navigation does, you click on Browse and... lose all the stuff typed in the editor. And you may expect that dynamics if you were browsing your profile, achievements, quests, etc. and got used to clicking to close the menu. It's all muscles memory and can be trained but it would be much better if it just was consistent.

There are some other tiny things that break the overall experience, most of them related to the amount of JavaScript this site is packed with. Image management is a complete dog in probably any browser other than FireFox. Which I dislike with passion. ;] Opera - blocked. IE8 - broken. What the heck? Some CSS is busted here and there as well and there are some other UX issues I find annoying. I'll probably bitch about it on forums as well. :)

Now the good stuff.

Boy is this site awesome or what? :D Content is KING but pretty much every single feature here makes sense. The way Wikid is organized is well thought through (although there's some crap content here and there that could use some cleanup; and will) and pretty much everything you'd expect is here. But social aspects of GiantBomb and definitely the crown jewel of web development. Stuff like FB, Twitter and achievement synchronization are cool but features from blogs to interactive wall to the way forums are implemented (and have bio instead of signature) are pure gold. No fluff, pure "let's socialize boys and girls!" functionality. I like it.

Don't have much to say about the community itself YET since I've had this account for what? 5 hours? But I'm hoping for the best.

So yeah, this is my first blog post on this site, I hope you report it for deletion and have a good time in general. :)

Cheers!

Raikoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Raikoh

Welcome on GB ConayR :)

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mighty

Welcome to GB!

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By benpack

I agree with some of your navigation concerns, but I'm assured that top men are always working to fix these things.
Anyway, welcome to the site!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Raikoh:@Empirepaintball:

Yes, welcome him to Giant Bomb almost three months after he posted this blog.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Raikoh:@Empirepaintball:  Yes, welcome him to Giant Bomb almost three months after he posted this blog. "
Haha, just noticed that.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jkz

No YOU only react to the click! *sob*

OrwellHuxZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OrwellHuxZam

Welcome, and enjoy.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By NathHaw

Yeah, the bugginess of this site still gets to me.  It's a small price to pay for the awesomeness that engulfs it, but the TOP MEN should hopefully fix it soon.  Can't wait till the HD vid stuff gets all fleshed out.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Blogs posted to the forums, especially to Off-Topic, can be a hit or miss situation. Welcome the forums of Giant Bomb. Have fun or Batman as they say.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Video_Game_King said:
" @Raikoh:@Empirepaintball:  Yes, welcome him to Giant Bomb almost three months after he posted this blog. "
It's never too late to welcome somebody! 

Welcome to Giant Bomb, Video_Game_King!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" It's never too late to welcome somebody! "
Yes, it is. Try welcoming some random assholes whom you know has lived where they lived for a long time. They'll give you that "What the fuck" look.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
It's never too late to welcome somebody!  Welcome to Giant Bomb, Video_Game_King! "
Also, welcome to Giant Bomb Jeff!!
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NathHaw
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
It's never too late to welcome somebody!  Welcome to Giant Bomb, Video_Game_King! "
Just check ConayR's bio.  We're definitely getting around to it.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By audiosnag
@GlenTennis said:
" I agree with some of your navigation concerns, but I'm assured that top men are always working to fix these things. Anyway, welcome to the site! "
Top.
Men.
Raikoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Raikoh

Sorry about this drama. I know him, but today check bio ConayR's and just .... say hallo :)

ConayR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConayR

You're just a spammer, Raikoh. That's what it's all about. ;P

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points