deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@sergio said:

@crazybagman said:

Graphics Interchange Format. I don't say graphics with a j sound(giraffics), why would I pronounce the acronym differently?

Laser. AWOL. NATO. JPEG. LAN. MIDI.

An acronym is not a collection of phonemes, but graphemes. Basically, the pronunciation of the acronym is not based on the original words, and it doesn't matter how you pronounce the word "graphics."

Also, this subject has too many threads.

"You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad."

I'm sure you'll argue that you aren't mad, but my point is you seem to care an awful lot about something I doubt you have any stake in. Say it however you want, we all know what it means.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Well he can jo fuck himself.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like how in order to explain the pronunciation, people need to use a completely different letter to get the point across. That must be an indication of something, I just wish I knew what it was.....

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@sergio said:

@crazybagman said:

Graphics Interchange Format. I don't say graphics with a j sound(giraffics), why would I pronounce the acronym differently?

An acronym is not a collection of phonemes, but graphemes. Basically, the pronunciation of the acronym is not based on the original words, and it doesn't matter how you pronounce the word "graphics."

"You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad."

I'm sure you'll argue that you aren't mad, but my point is you seem to care an awful lot about something I doubt you have any stake in. Say it however you want, we all know what it means.

I'm saying the reasoning behind why you and others pronounce it with a hard-g is stupid if it's because of the word "graphics." If it's simply because you prefer to say it with a hard-g, then whatever. You don't need to project and get mad at someone for actually trying to teach you something about acronyms.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#TEAMJIF

Fuck the haters. I say Jif. And I will say Jif until the day I die. Got a problem? Blame the English language. I didn't pick these shitty rules, I'm just trying to get by living with them.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to avoid that pesky 'j' sound whenever possible.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@sergio said:

@crazybagman said:

I'm glad someone has pointed out that saying "graphics" with a hard G has no technical or true logical basis to supporting why GIF is pronounced with a hard G by a lot of people. It's a lot more recursive and socially related than that. Basically, language works in a lot of messy ways and that goes doubly so when it involves things that people traditionally read for a while and then are asked to say them out loud.

Long story short too many people, for the variety of reasons out there, pronounce it with a hard G and culturally has become as valid if not more than "jif". Maybe if we lived in a land were JIF isn't also a peanut butter brand, then it would work but right now we've been living in a world where that guy's opinion has never and will never matter. All he's doing is stoking the flames by saying anything other than "pronounce it however you want because who am I to give a shit?".

gelf513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the G stands for graphics, I'm still gonna pronounce it with a hard g.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jiff is peanut butter.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By ajamafalous

THIS ISN'T EVEN A NEW DEVELOPMENT, WHY DID THIS SUDDENLY GET THREE DIFFERENT THREADS

FUCK

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, but it's an acronym, not a real word. You can pronounce it however you want.

This.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the english language evolves and changes with usage. There are alot of words that have changed how we pronounce them and even spell them based on how we use them. Happens all the time over the years. This douchebag thinks cus he invented something he gets to tell me how to talk. Shiiz ain't be back talkin soon dawg

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By hwy_61

Fuck him. It's GIF, motherfucker.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@crazybagman said:

What were you trying to prove with those listed acronyms? If anything, I think you proved his point...

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By dagas

I have always said it with a hard G and even if that is the wrong way it is what I have said for 15 years so I will continue. That is the way my friends say it anyway.

I am not going to tell people who say JIFF they are wrong though. I respect their beliefs even if it sounds weird to me.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I wonder if the inventor's friends pronounce other words incorrectly just to mess with him. "Hey Steve, juess what? The whole jang is here and we've bought you a birthday jift! Jo on, open it!"

Zoeytrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Different people say things differently and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that unless you're an insufferable pedant.

That said, I'm a hard "g" gal.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hard 'G' for life.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What were you trying to prove with those listed acronyms? If anything, I think you proved his point...

I'll play along...

The 'a' and 's' in "laser" are not pronounced the way they are in "Amplification" and "Stimulated," respectively.

The 'a' in "AWOL" is not pronounced the same way as in "Absence."

The 'a' in NATO is not pronounced the same way as in "Atlantic."

The 'p' in JPEG is not pronounced the same way as in "Photographic."

The 'a' in LAN is not pronounced the same way as in "Area."

The second 'i' in MIDI is not pronounced the same way as in "Interface."

Saying the 'g' in GIF needs to be pronounced with a hard-g because of "Graphics" is incorrect. You can choose to pronounce it with a hard-g if you like, but basing it on the way "Graphics" is pronounced shows little knowledge of how acronyms work.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

its out of his hands now. The people have chosen gif

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he's wrong. Creator or not~

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get this thought that the words in the acronym have anything to do with how you pronounce the acronym. English has never worked this way.

AIDS

Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome...Acquired doesn't have a long A.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a jiffing party! WHOOO!

#TeamGIF

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sergio said:

@crazybagman said:

Funny how as soon as someone brings up a valid point, everyone ignores it completely :D