• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Yesterday a 20 year old girl from southern Sweden posted a picture of herself, in a bikini on the beach, on Facebook. Apparently this was so brave, because she doesn't fit the body ideals of women who usually post such images, that she now has received huge amounts of attention here.

Doesn't it just show how fucking sick everything is relating to body ideals, when it is considered brave of a young girl to "dare" to show herself in a bikini just because she doesn't have a model's body?

Link to local story run through Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsk.se%2Farticle%2F20120726%2FHASSLEHOLM%2F120729864%2F1129%2F-%2Fbikinibild-gav-60-000-likes&act=url

#2 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It's a women thing. If you a dude and you're fat, it's nowhere near as bad. Thank God I have a penis!

#3 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -

lyk dis if u cry errytime

+1

#4 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

The fuck? The shit people care about astounds me.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9475 posts) -

For the life of me, I can't seem to get the link to work, but I'll take your word for it.

This story reminds me a bit of the uproar a few years ago when a Swedish clothing line started offering bikinis for one year olds and up. Things are... odd nowadays.

I'm glad people showed the girl so much support. A lot of people are frustrated by the many unrealistic ideals of modern culture; so, it's understandable that many might be particularly hit close to home on something like this. Perhaps it will change things for some, or, at least, it will encourage many to buck absurd expectations for normal individuals.

#6 Posted by Hunter5024 (5968 posts) -

I don't really understand what's brave about this. I'd say she is above average in terms of attractiveness. If you were incredibly fat or disfigured or something and you posted a picture of yourself in a bikini it might be brave, but this is just a somewhat pretty girl whose comfortable with herself.

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

Oh jesus christ, that translation is so bad. SO BAD.

It almost bothers me enough to translate it myself, but this is a really silly article... So no.

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

It's a women thing. If you a dude and you're fat, it's nowhere near as bad. Thank God I have a penis!

Yes, yes it is as bad. It's just that society has made it such that if you say anything about it you are labelled a pussy, fag or asshole because guys are supposed to not admit to stuff like that. The only difference between guys and girls when it comes to body image in this day and age is that girls like in the OP can do stuff like that and get news articles about them as being heroes but if a fat dude posted a picture of himself in a speedo he would just get mocked and teased.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9475 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

I don't really understand what's brave about this. I'd say she is above average in terms of attractiveness. If you were incredibly fat or disfigured or something and you posted a picture of yourself in a bikini it might be brave, but this is just a somewhat pretty girl whose comfortable with herself.

Despite how above average she is, she has still received a lot of people calling her fat and grotesque. Apparently people cheering her on is horrible, as not being perfectly skinny means you should be shamed. So, while -we- may feel this isn't that big of a deal, for many in the world who struggle with the stigma of not being small or pretty enough, this is something to rally around. It's more of the symbol and what people have made of it than what it simply is.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (12161 posts) -
@mandude said:

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Sometimes I really wonder what world the media seems to live in.
They must not go to the beach often in any case.

#13 Posted by jacksmedulla (281 posts) -

@mandude: Yeah. People should care about more important things, like video games.

#14 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Your link is pretty garb... don't see any pictures of fat girls in bikinis.

#15 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

She isn't even that fat. I'd say a bit overweight.

#16 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -

If she had been slaying a dragon in a bikini then maybe I could see how that makes her brave. But just a photo of a happy girl enjoying herself on the beach? That's not brave! Unless she's allergic to the sun or something. But then I guess that's back to the old adage of there being a fine line between bravery and stupidity!

Also, it's not just bigger girls who have insecurities about their figures. I get sick of seeing these kinds of articles and I hated that stupid Dove real woman campaign. A woman looks best at her natural healthy weight. Ba rrraaamm youuu beauty magazines!

#17 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@jacksmedulla: I know you're being sarcastic, but I can't tell if the lean is in my favour or against. Either way, if people cared more about video games rather than bollocks like this, at least there'd be less depression and heartache in the world.

#18 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

Beauty magazines aren't.

and for the Swedes..
Skulle [x]

#19 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

I see half naked fat people at the beach all the time.

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5968 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Despite how above average she is, she has still received a lot of people calling her fat and grotesque. Apparently people cheering her on is horrible, as not being perfectly skinny means you should be shamed. So, while -we- may feel this isn't that big of a deal, for many in the world who struggle with the stigma of not being small or pretty enough, this is something to rally around. It's more of the symbol and what people have made of it than what it simply is.

Mhm I guess I can understand that. I still kinda feel like they should find an uglier person to rally around though. Being called grotesque on the internet doesn't really mean that much, I've heard Megan Fox described that way online too.

#21 Posted by dudeglove (8299 posts) -

Sweden has beaches?

#22 Posted by Bollard (5867 posts) -

Is this a Swedish thing? Cause it'd take me like ten minutes to find a comparable picture on one of my UK friend's pages. Do people go round stalking people's profiles looking for overweight people pictures, just to give them shit? Also if this is such a problem why the hell did she post the picture publicly and not put her settings to private, like a sensible human being who uses Facebook?

#23 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Sweden has beaches?

The walruses and the penguins have to sleep somewhere.

#24 Posted by BrainSonata (104 posts) -

So brave, so selfless, a true role model for slightly plump bitches everywhere.

#25 Posted by Athadam (705 posts) -

You guys are pretty fucked up. I think it's a great thing.

#26 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@BrainSonata said:

That ain't cool brother.

#27 Posted by s10129107 (1213 posts) -

Theres already plenty of pictures like that on facebook. I dont understand what the fuss is about.

#28 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@BrainSonata said:

How I hate it when guys use insults as synonyms for the word girl or woman.

#29 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

I'd still tap it.

#30 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@JoyfullOFrockets said:

I'd still tap it.

In 99% of cases where a guy says that he couldn't be further away from actually accomplishing it xD

#31 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

...and this is worthy of news coverage how?

#32 Posted by LD50 (412 posts) -

I'm fixing to go to the 99 cent store here in Dallas. I can bring back, literally, hundreds of pictures of the brave women of Texas. This is not an issue here.

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

So chubby girl posts a pic on the internet and people flip out? I've been looking at chubby girls on the internet for years and nobody's given much of a shit since then. Maybe I'm not understanding the poorly-translated story. Can one of you fine Swedish duders explain why this is important?

@BaneFireLord said:

Sadly, that question can be appropriately applied to almost 100% of news coverage.

#34 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -
@Castermhief117
You guys are pretty fucked up. I think it's a great thing.
It's great that she feels comfortable with herself and her body yes. Is it news? Not in the least.
#35 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

I'm so confused. Why do people care about this?

#36 Edited by Rainbowkisses (467 posts) -

I understand that stuff like this is supposed to talk about how we don't need to fit into the standard idea of beauty and we shouldn't judge people by their appearance. My problem with it is that we're not judging these people for who they are. We don't know them. They might be a great, loving person. They might be a complete jerk. We're simply giving them sympathy because of how they look, defeating the whole idea of respecting "inner beauty".

#37 Posted by LD50 (412 posts) -

I think ABBAs cool though...

#38 Posted by ch3burashka (5256 posts) -

This has got to be the biggest non-news news article I've ever seen.

#39 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Society didn't decide being fat is bad, nature did. That's why fat fucks have heart attacks and lose their feet.

#40 Posted by BrainSonata (104 posts) -

I don't even know what happened here, people post pictures like this allllll the fucking time. The Internet needs to calm down.

#41 Posted by BrainSonata (104 posts) -
@Morrow

@BrainSonata said:

Well aren't you the most fantastic of gentlemen.
#42 Posted by Brodehouse (10131 posts) -
@Morrow

@BrainSonata said:

Most people use asshole, bastard and motherfucker for men. And bitch, cunt and whore for women. When was the last time you heard someone call some girl a bastard? Or a guy got called a whore?

Basically if you're a man, the insult is that you're of illegitimate birth, shit comes out of you and you engage in an incestuous relationship. For women the insult is that you're a vagina that is sexually promiscuous and procreates.

Anyways, don't know how an attractive lady posting pictures of her body is somehow brave just because it isn't Hollywood. Most aren't.
#43 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

She's not that fat, 2 of my last 3 girlfriends where bigger.

#44 Posted by MOAB (429 posts) -

nonplus

#45 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

They make a big thing about her posting it and then she gets the hate. I read that as people just hating on whatever is popular and in the press - or reading the article and hating because of it. If not for the article then nobody would have even visited the page.

There are a ton of fat women pictures on facebook - most a lot fatter than this chick - and they are just ignored.

#46 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@BrainSonata said:

LMAO!

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mandude said:

Exactly. Are you kidding me? Really? Facebook?

#48 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (428 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

Er... Ah... Uh...

Because Tabloids? :|

@Ravenlight said:

Sadly, that question can be appropriately applied to almost 100% of news coverage.

..... Yeah, I'll just go with 'Because Tabloids' so I don't have to over-think it. :P

No News outlet seems complete without being a Tabloid at some point these days. (The average person loves some sensationalism. ;) )

#49 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

if 60,000 likes constitute an "uproar", would 200,000 likes be equivalent to complete anarchy? 500,000 for Mad Max status?

I didn't realize society was so fragile...

#50 Posted by ripelivejam (4877 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Mhm I guess I can understand that. I still kinda feel like they should find an uglier person to rally around though. Being called grotesque on the internet doesn't really mean that much, I've heard Megan Fox described that way online too.

but megan fox is grotesque