• 106 results
#1 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -

They're artificially lowering the prices of oil to drop it a few cents for us at the pump. Now I know most of you probably are glad about this because it saves you money in the short term, but that oil was supposed to be saved for a huge crisis like an actual shortage of oil or a natural disaster. Not to lower it a few cents at the pump.

I can't believe we're wasting a few weeks of our emergency oil to drop the price by a few pennies...

By the way, this affects you in other countries too. Almost the whole western civilization is doing it, not just the US.

NY Times link

#2 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

May as well use it before China declares war on the world for oil :)

#3 Edited by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@Marz: China would not declare war on their owne they would be backed up by russia and north korea since they are good allies maby even iran

#4 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -
@Commando: Look rookie, chill out.  Its not just a few pennies, those pennies add up, and affect the entire economy.  When you see gas go up, you see pretty much all other products go up in price.  The economy collapsing is a huge crisis itself and we don't need the whole world going through more of what 2008 brought.  It is averting a crisis.  And its not like when things pick up again and Libya stops being a douchebag and has the war stop, that the governments can't stock up again.
#5 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

This planet sucks.

#6 Posted by Superfriend (1521 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:

@Marz: China would not declare war on their owne they would be backed up by russia and north korea since they are good allies maby even iran

Yeah, pretty sure this is going to happen.. in your head. And ONLY in your fucking head.
#7 Posted by Bones8677 (3208 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
This planet sucks.
I agree. I hear there's this other planet way out there that has unlimited resources of some kind of spice. We need to set our focus on that planet.
#8 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -
@Commando: yes because we can NEVER EVER REPLACE THAT OIL 

Jesus calm down
#9 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -

@billnyethesciencepie said:

@Commando: yes because we can NEVER EVER REPLACE THAT OIL Jesus calm down

You calm down! Yeah, that just happened!

#10 Posted by ConstantRa1n (293 posts) -

Corruption sucks.

#11 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

#12 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Fuck oil companies and other scumbags getting in the way of renewable energy research.

#13 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I'm okay with this.

#14 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

2011 and we're still using fossil fuels? Bullshit.

#15 Posted by Samael2138 (228 posts) -
@smitty86

We must go forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom!!!!!
#16 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@shinigami420 said:

Do you have a citation for this? I've seen you throw around the idea that China and Russia are BFF's before but I'm pretty sure those groups still squabble semi-regularly. Also, let me see if I can get this straight. You think it's reasonable that the Shah of Iran is going to team up with China Russia and North Korea to take on the world? Why the hell would they do that?

#17 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Desperate times and all that jazz. You people have absolutely no idea what's in store for you in a short while. 

You've been warned over and over, but nothing.

This is a post of nothing more than sad resignation. What is to be is to be.

#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

HACK THE PLANE--- 

wait 

#19 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

A more robust public transit system would help oil consumption in the United States, so it's a shame that projects like high-speed rail systems consistently get shot down or fucked up by Republicans.

#20 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
@Meowshi said:
This planet sucks.
I agree. I hear there's this other planet way out there that has unlimited resources of some kind of spice. We need to set our focus on that planet.
EDI! GET MY SCAN GUN! WE HAVE PLANETS TO SCAN, AND LOCATIONS TO PROBE!
#21 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

What a load of bullshit.

#22 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Time to get electric people, fuck the corrupt oil companies.

#23 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

So let me get this straight

We run out of oil = End of the world? Really?

I mean, really?

#24 Posted by swfcfan (264 posts) -

This news has also distracted people about the announcement of Americas withdrawal from Afghanistan.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

@shinigami420 said:

Yeah, pretty sure this is going to happen.. in your head. And ONLY in your fucking head.

This. We're closer allies to Russia than China is. China may have a huge army but we could have our Air Force and Navy over and around China in a matter of hours. Their army has no means of getting to US soil nearly as quickly.

#26 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -

@beej: I don't know if what this is what they are thinking of but China has been forming an alliance with Russia, Brazil, and India which is refered to as BRIC and having been having yearly summits ( see link). Basically these countries are on pace to be the next superpowers of the world's economy by 2050. I would imagine that if China needs oil, they will get it by political means. They hold a lot of political power and also loads of US debt.

#27 Posted by Beforet (2911 posts) -

We have the very energy that fuels the stars and binds the very universe together at our fingertips, yet we still use oil. I don't get it.

#28 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1726 posts) -

Get mad at OPEC and the speculators who have vice and graft over the world's economies, not the governments trying to ease the burden on their citizens. 

#29 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@benjaebe: Yeah. I love when people talk about how great public transit is. Great public transit does not involve a bus that serves 3 people but uses gas for 20.

#30 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

You get electricity from plants that burn fossil fuel though, right?

I think the USA might have did the right thing not allowing for too much oil drilling on US soil. So when the middle east runs out of oil completely, the US can start pumping and selling the gas for profit to other countries becoming the world leader again. We survived without fuel for millions of years, we can do it for a million years again. It'll just be the return of horses on oxen. oh yeah and steam powered boats and trains.

#31 Edited by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

@Bones8677 said:

@Meowshi said:
This planet sucks.

Hell yeah, my eyes are not nearly blue enough.

#32 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

HAHAHAHA.

Oh God, this is amusing. I'd much rather support ExxonMobil than any coal company.

#33 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

Guess it's time to start digging for gas and uranium.

#34 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I think many of you are missing the purpose of this.

The U.S. and allied countries are releasing 60 billion barrels of oil not because we have run out, but to help the economy of several countries.

#35 Posted by mrv321 (258 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:

North Korea? That's kinda desperate, I think China is just waiting for a massive screw up, either America leaving the UN because some oil/puppet/corruption or for them to take Americas nukes offline. It's been proven that the American military is too confident in it's own ability ( Millenium Falcon )
#36 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

@Dany said:

I think many of you are missing the purpose of this.

The U.S. and allied countries are releasing 60 billion barrels of oil not because we have run out, but to help the economy of several countries.

Exactly. They're using it for something it wasn't intended to be used for. And I know people are saying it can be replaced, but when they start buying oil to replace it, it will increase the demand for oil and temporarily raise the prices again. I'm not the only one who thinks this, many economists have been saying it too.

#37 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

This may be an election cycle stunt, but the fact is this is a huge crisis. America is going down the tubes right now, due in no small part to gas prices. At this point, they're just doing anything they can to keep the country afloat. But it really amounts to little more than hitting the snooze button.

#38 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@SoldierG654342 said:

Get mad at OPEC and the speculators who have vice and graft over the world's economies, not the governments trying to ease the burden on their citizens.

The stock market speculation coupled with energy companies and goods going public has been a terrible thing. It is a rare thing for prices to be dictated by actual conditions these days. Sky rocketing and plummeting stock values due to speculation have more sway than reality it seems. If you want to watch something that will teach about just how messed up the economics of the U.S. can be take a look at a documentary called Inside Job. While not entirely related You will rage.

@Beforet said:

We have the very energy that fuels the stars and binds the very universe together at our fingertips, yet we still use oil. I don't get it.

I think we should be taking advantage of nuclear energy. Ever since the Japan tsunami/earthquake combo disaster the whole world jumped into paranoia mode and activists have come out of the woodwork against it though.

#39 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -
@Venatio said:
So let me get this straight

We run out of oil = End of the world? Really?

I mean, really?
No the world won't just stop turning, but the world as we know it today will be seriously fucked for a long time and we could be thrown into the stone ages real quick. On top of all the worlds plastics and computer chips that are in almost everything we use, here's a short list of some of the stuff we wouldn't be able to make anymore once all the oil is gone. 

• Clothing Ink
  • Heart Valves
  • Crayons
  • Parachutes
  • Telephones
  • Enamel
  • Transparent tape
  • Antiseptics
  • Vacuum bottles
  • Deodorant
  • Pantyhose
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Carpets
  • Epoxy paint
  • Oil filters
  • Upholstery
  • Hearing Aids
  • Car sound insulation
  • Cassettes
  • Motorcycle helmets
  • Pillows
  • Shower doors
  • Shoes
  • Refrigerator linings
  • Electrical tape
  • Safety glass
  • Awnings
  • Salad bowl
  • Rubber cement
  • Nylon rope
  • Ice buckets
  • Fertilizers
  • Hair coloring
  • Toilet seats
  • Denture adhesive
  • Loudspeakers
  • Movie film
  • Fishing boots
  • Candles
  • Water pipes
  • Car enamel
  • Shower curtains
  • Credit cards
  • Aspirin
  • Golf balls
  • Detergents
  • Sunglasses
  • Glue
  • Fishing rods
  • Linoleum
  • Plastic wood
  • Soft contact lenses
  • Trash bags
  • Hand lotion
  • Shampoo
  • Shaving cream
  • Footballs
  • Paint brushes
  • Balloons
  • Fan belts
  • Umbrellas
  • Paint Rollers
  • Luggage
  • Antifreeze
  • Model cars
  • Floor wax
  • Sports car bodies
  • Tires
  • Dish washing liquids
  • Unbreakable dishes
  • Toothbrushes
  • Toothpaste
  • Combs
  • Tents
  • Hair curlers
  • Lipstick
  • Ice cube trays
  • Electric blankets
  • Tennis rackets
  • Drinking cups
  • House paint
  • Rollerskates wheels
  • Guitar strings
  • Ammonia
  • Eyeglasses
  • Ice chests
  • Life jackets
  • TV cabinets
  • Car battery cases
  • Insect repellent
  • Refrigerants
  • Typewriter ribbons
  • Cold cream
  • Glycerin
  • Plywood adhesive
  • Cameras
  • Anesthetics
  • Artificial turf
  • Artificial Limbs
  • Bandages
  • Dentures
  • Mops
  • Beach Umbrellas
  • Ballpoint pens
  • Boats
  • Nail polish
  • Golf bags
  • Caulking
  • Tape recorders
  • Curtains
  • Vitamin capsules
  • Dashboards
  • Putty
  • Percolators
  • Skis
  • Insecticides
  • Fishing lures
  • Perfumes
  • Shoe polish
  • Petroleum jelly
  • Faucet washers
  • Food preservatives
  • Antihistamines
  • Cortisone
  • Dyes
  • LP records
  • Solvents
  • Roofing
#40 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -
@beej said:

@shinigami420 said:

Do you have a citation for this? I've seen you throw around the idea that China and Russia are BFF's before but I'm pretty sure those groups still squabble semi-regularly. Also, let me see if I can get this straight. You think it's reasonable that the Shah of Iran is going to team up with China Russia and North Korea to take on the world? Why the hell would they do that?

Heck, China is irritated as can be at North Korea as is. And the "allies" of Iran want oil only, so they will turn on Iran in a fight for oil with few qualms.
#41 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -
@benjaebe said:

A more robust public transit system would help oil consumption in the United States, so it's a shame that projects like high-speed rail systems consistently lose billions because nobody wants to use them since cars are still more economical and reliable. And curse the rational people who notice this.

FIFY. High speed rail is an economic boondoggle. Anybody who opposes it is a good person.
#42 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

If the world's going to Hell you may as well enjoy the ride....

#43 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

That's great! Now what happens when there is a real crisis, and that emergency oil is all gone?

Maybe we should use the high oil prices as an incentive to find alternative sources of energy, as opposed to using what may be left of our oil.

#44 Posted by GTFShadow (1 posts) -

I can't believe they tapped into the oil reserve as they did alrdy. I think their was no need to do it. But that's just another reason why the Crude Oil is ruled by the world.

I really can't wait to see the push for natural gas to take over. I myself work in the industry up here in PA. I don't specifically work for them I provide a service, communications to rigs. I go to each location and setup a dish to provide them with Phone and Internet. we also provide them with Cell phone boosters that turn derek's in cell phone towers and setup intercoms for their shacks and on the actual rig side (mud pitts and dog house/rig floor).

@damnboyadvance said:

Maybe we should use the high oil prices as an incentive to find alternative sources of energy, as opposed to using what may be left of our oil.

Natural gas. This is going to add another 100 years of consumption

#45 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

Hmmm Sure but only problem is where do you plug in your electric car, Your house. What is your house powered by? Chances are high(if you live in the US) that its coal, oil or natural gas. You'll be switching from one non-renewable energy source to another. Not much of an alternative.

#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -
@Jazzycola said:

@Gizmo said:

Hmmm Sure but only problem is where do you plug in your electric car, Your house. What is your house powered by? Chances are high(if you live in the US) that its coal, oil or natural gas. You'll be switching from one non-renewable energy source to another. Not much of an alternative.

True, but it might be enough to buy us a generation or more to find a better source of energy.
#47 Posted by Bollard (5208 posts) -

In my opinion Hydrogen power is the only answer now. Readily available? Check. Provides at least as much energy as any fossil fuel? Check. Ridiculously explosive? Che... Wait a minute.  

The explosive bit is the only problem, but I'm sure if we just have kevlar cars everything will be fine. Or something.

#48 Posted by Stonyman65 (2572 posts) -

@Commando said:

They're artificially lowering the prices of oil to drop it a few cents for us at the pump. Now I know most of you probably are glad about this because it saves you money in the short term, but that oil was supposed to be saved for a huge crisis like an actual shortage of oil or a natural disaster. Not to lower it a few cents at the pump.

I can't believe we're wasting a few weeks of our emergency oil to drop the price by a few pennies...

By the way, this affects you in other countries too. Almost the whole western civilization is doing it, not just the US.

NY Times link

Well, when you have to pay $52 to fill half a tank, I have a feeling you will change your way of thinking on this....

#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

How does this not qualify as an "actual crisis"? Do you need fucking horsemen?

#50 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Is it time to find an alternative fuel source yet?