Going Snowboarding for the first time

Iyiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Iyiu

im going to snowboard this weekend for the first time i was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me 

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

Dont fall.

fingofongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By fingofongo

It's inevitable, you're going to fall

Fall gracefully

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bekern

Snowboarding is crazy fun :). Just letting you know though that you are probably going to be sore in the morning. When I was first learning the only way I could stop was pretty much just to fall down. I went rolling down the mountain quite a few times, once my pants even fell down while I was rolling lmao. So I guess my advice to you would be: hold on to your pants for minimal embarrassment.

Iyiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Iyiu
bekern said:
"Snowboarding is crazy fun :). Just letting you know though that you are probably going to be sore in the morning. When I was first learning the only way I could stop was pretty much just to fall down. I went rolling down the mountain quite a few times, once my pants even fell down while I was rolling lmao. So I guess my advice to you would be: hold on to your pants for minimal embarrassment.
"
lol yeah im kinda scared of that do you think i need a helmet? cuz im thinking ill probably just be falling on my ass 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Prepare to get butthurt in the literal sense. :P

I can't really come with any fantastic tips. Keep your center of gravity kinda low at first and gradually rise up.
Enjoy though, it's alotta fun.

spiffyXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spiffyXD

Yeah, don't fight the fall. Embrace it. Loosen up; you don't want to be stiff and then tumble over in some weird Egyptian pose. That's just asking for a hurtin'. Be prepared to fall A LOT.

Other than that, first practice how to stop with your heels and your tiptoes. Then after that, practice learning how to turn. Try making  "S"-shaped curves while going down the slope.

That's about all I have since I'm about at that level.

spiffyXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spiffyXD

Oh yeah, and when you're learning how to turn and control yourself, think of the back end of your board and your back foot as a rudder on a boat.

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bekern
Iyiu said:
"bekern said:
"Snowboarding is crazy fun :). Just letting you know though that you are probably going to be sore in the morning. When I was first learning the only way I could stop was pretty much just to fall down. I went rolling down the mountain quite a few times, once my pants even fell down while I was rolling lmao. So I guess my advice to you would be: hold on to your pants for minimal embarrassment.
"
lol yeah im kinda scared of that do you think i need a helmet? cuz im thinking ill probably just be falling on my ass "
Well if you go on easy slopes I don't think you'll really be in any danger. They are usually pretty wide so hopefully you can get some space to yourself and falling into snow isn't really a hard fall anyway. If you think you'd feel safer though go for it :).
Iyiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Iyiu

k thanks alot everyone

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercator

Ya like the others said dont go in expecting to be a pro...but also dont give up...it took me nearly an ENTIRE day of snowboarding to be confident enough to go on the chairlift...and from there another 2-3 trips to feel confident in what i was doing.

As mentioned earlier focus on being comfortable on the board...stopping and then when you get that turning.

I have snowboarded for 4 Years and while I am still completely green and notrious for not pushing myself, the past two trips i forced myself to move outside my comfort zone and felt improvement...and let me tell ya....flying down a mountain on the edge of a board is about the most exciting thing you can do...goodluck...stick with it

spiffyXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spiffyXD

It's allll in the hips.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Shove your friend over as you try to get off the chairlift without falling. It worked for me!

Avatar image for toxicenchiliada
toxicEnchiliada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toxicEnchiliada

It okay to fall if it's your first time just your gonna be sore after and don't worry about a helmet you most likely won't be hitting your head(too hard)

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax
CoolDrMoney said:
"Shove your friend over as you try to get off the chairlift without falling. It worked for me!
"
Haha, yeah. Pro Tip: When getting off the chairlift, grab the person next to you.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us

I dont know about snowboarding, but if you do any skiing if you remember to french fry and pizza, your gonna have a good time.

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DavidPalmer

Yeah man, take it easy before you start going crazy because with your feet essentially tied together, you can have some nasty falls on a snowboard. Falls that result in you hurting yourself and breaking bones.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Use your back foot as a pivot point for turning frontside and your front foot for turning backside.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By CoolDrMoney
c1337us said:
"I dont know about snowboarding, but if you do any skiing if you remember to french fry and pizza, your gonna have a good time. "
Ha

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

basically watch out for dem cliffs

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By xplodedd

i dont know, first time i went, falling was my break, so my advice is just dont go too fast...
but its crazy fun, even when you can barely ride... so enjoy it, even though its kind of tough for
the first few times.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hexpane

Take a martial arts class.   You will fall, everyone falls.  They key is to learn how to fall "correctly".  In MMA when you fall backwards  you should slap both arms out behind you and tuck your head.  What this does is displace
 the force of the fall along your arms out to your fingertips.  tucking your chin/head prevents head injuries (as much as they can be prevented)

What you should NOT do when you fall is stick out an arm straight and try to land on your hand.  People break their wrists all day long doing that.  You can practice on any ground.  Sit on your ass and lean back w/ your arms
 crossed, you should be rolling on your curved spine and extend your arms and slap both hands, do it right and you will bounce back up.

Another key I see a lot of newbies doing wrong is not looking where they are going.  It sounds simple but if you look where you are going, you will fall less. I see a lot of peeps going down but looking up..a disaster waiting to happen.

Also note that Skiiers are a bunch of douchey ass tards.  They hog trails, cut you off and constant bring their young kids on the slopes without training and the kids crash into people and cause injuries.  Avoid all skiiers at all costs

Remember, Ju Jitsu fall technique will save you a major wrist injury or head injury.   It also wont hurt to take a lesson.  1 hour learning how to turn will increase the fun cator.  Ride the edge for control.