Good C++ Tutorial Recommendations?

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Can anyone recommend a good C++ tutorial, preferably video? In my class we are using Visual Studio, making command line programs that can read in numbers and then order them in arrays, find the max, average, that kind of stuff. I've never written code before this class and after a couple weeks, I have still not been able to make anything besides really basic stuff. i.e Hello World.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel like i'm not learning anything in class.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This isn't necessarily a C++ issue but an algorithm problem. Is the teacher talking about what containers or patterns are best for ordering or calculations? Also are you forced to Visual Studio because for a task that tool doesn't quite fit.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Ben_H

I used this before I started my comp sci classes so I would be at least a bit familiar with the concepts. He is pretty good at explaining things. His tutorials should be able to help you with that question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvC1WCdV1XU&list=ECAE85DE8440AA6B83

Also, I echo the sentiments of EXTomar, is Visual Studio mandatory? That seems really unnecessary for the question you are doing. We were told specifically not to use it for my classes this year. Code::Blocks, QT Creator, or Eclipse would be much easier to use for that type of work (I would recommend the first two over the last one I listed, that one can be a bit of a pain to install because you have to install a bunch of other stuff and can be finicky. The first two set everything up automatically).

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By PerryVandell
Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: We have talked a lot about what algorithms do and when to use them but have not actually used them in Visual Studio. I just need some practice actually typing code.

The stuff is pretty basic that we are doing so i'm sure Visual Studio is enough for me.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@extomar: We have talked a lot about what algorithms do and when to use them but have not actually used them in Visual Studio. I just need some practice actually typing code.

The stuff is pretty basic that we are doing so i'm sure Visual Studio is enough for me.

If there's one thing Microsoft does right, it's making IDEs. I think EXTomar was just referring to the fact that Visual Studio is overkill for what you are doing, but there is no problem with it.

I recommend to not stop at your basic task and start spending extra hours after the fact and just play around with C++ and reading as much stuff as you can online each day.

In your current situation, you definitely need to make sure you understand condition statements, loops and what an array is. Are you limited to the primitive array (int[]) or can you go outside of those bounds (ha! pun). If you aren't limited you may want to do some Google searching on sorted collections because I am pretty sure the STL has some classes that automatically sort. Been awhile since I used C++ so I may be throwing out some misinformation here.