• 58 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (747 posts) -

Ok. So I invited a girl out for some coffee, but I am not a huge coffee drinker myself. I know almost nothing about the variety of coffee drinks available and have a strong dislike of regular coffee. I was wondering if you duders could help recommend some common coffee drinks that taste good and that are offered in almost every coffee shop so that I have something to order for when the girl and I hangout. As far as my tastes go I love milk, so much so that a White Russian is my goto bar drink, and enjoy chocolate and caramel. Though I dislike anything that is strongly sweet.

#2 Posted by kylenalepa (124 posts) -

As someone who also dislikes coffee by itself, I'm a fan of a cafe mocha myself. Think a hot chocolate with a bit of espresso. If you're worried about whether or not you'd like it, I'd go and try one before you meet your ladyfriend.

#3 Posted by Blomakrans (149 posts) -

I think latté is quite nice. It doesn't have strong coffee taste and has lots of milk in it. You should however be prepared for some people considering it unmanly, joking around if it comes up is probably the best thing to do.

#4 Posted by Pezen (1607 posts) -

Before I had straight black coffee, I usually had either Cappuccino or some Latte variation.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

(Not to sound like a dick)

If you hated coffee you probably should have chose something else, but anyway I usually like making my own coffee. So I can add in the right amount of cream,sugar, and milk. If I don't have any of those ingredients then I can't drink it, tastes like shit without it.

#6 Posted by Jay_Ray (1102 posts) -

As someone who also dislikes coffee by itself, I'm a fan of a cafe mocha myself. Think a hot chocolate with a bit of espresso. If you're worried about whether or not you'd like it, I'd go and try one before you meet your ladyfriend.

I agree with this, if you don't drink/like coffee similar to me a mocha is at least drinkable. You could also get tea or tea latte which is what I do. But if you need to get coffee then a mocha is the most palatable for non coffee drinkers in my opinion.

#7 Edited by TobbRobb (4654 posts) -

Drink better coffee.

#8 Posted by Humanity (9306 posts) -

Drinking Donuts has this thing called a chai tea latte which is this cinnamon flavored concoction - try asking for that

#9 Edited by leafhouse (133 posts) -

Yeah, get a Chai tea latte. Its not coffee, but its a caffeine drink. Hot, typically fairly sweet and always have some spice to it.

#10 Posted by NTM (7383 posts) -

You were asked out for coffee, but you never said to where.

#11 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (747 posts) -

@ntm said:

I'm not a hundred percent sure on what coffee place we'll be going to. That is why I'd like to know some common drinks that can be found at most coffee shops.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

Drink better coffee.

This. Or basically anything with milk 'cause once you add milk it doesn't taste like coffee any more.

#13 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2388 posts) -

Chai latte is what you want. It can be very tasty and it makes you look cosmopolitan.

#14 Posted by LTSmash (627 posts) -

Tea?

#15 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2777 posts) -

Yes, hot chocolate, if this is a decent place, that is a good choice. Mocha is a happy medium if you worry 'what she might think' about hot chocolate. Many coffee shops have cold drinks too: Italian sodas, Odwalla fruit smoothies, etc.

#16 Posted by edwardt (62 posts) -

Go full hipster, soy/almond decaf flat white.

#17 Posted by Osaladin (2521 posts) -

I suggest the caffe/espresso macchiato. It's not a lot of coffee so you won't have to force yourself. It's one part espresso and one part foamed milk with shaved cocoa on top. It's pretty amazing when done right. If you want something less strong, you can't go wrong with a cappuccino.

#18 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

A Vanilla Latte is pretty good.

#19 Posted by Hone_McBone (146 posts) -

Mocha frappuccino, it's basically a chocolate milkshake with coffee.

#20 Posted by horseman6 (394 posts) -

It will look really weird if you invite her out for coffee and then get a chai latte or frappe. Make sure you try this yourself first, but go with a latte as it has a lot of milk.

#21 Posted by NinjaPartTime (25 posts) -

When I worked in a coffee shop, people would often ask this question and I always suggested a Mocha since most who asked said they like chocolate. The espresso flavor is there, but it's subtle and mixes well with the chocolate. Every coffee shop should have this on their menu unless they only sell drip coffee. They may even have a white mocha, too, but I wouldn't suggest it to you since it is incredibly sweet. A Mocha Frappuccino is similar, but it is made with blended ice and might not be great if you two are going to be sitting at a table chatting for awhile. (Cold wet hands and the taste from it diminishes pretty quickly as it melts)

#22 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Is it just me or has there been a sudden resurgence of girl related threads lately?

Most coffee places have tea, as well as hot chocolate. If you are unsure, just get a hot chocolate instead of wasting your money.

Unless you hate hot chocolate, in which case you are fucked.

#23 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I always get a French Vanilla Cappuccino when I go to Tim Hortons. Hot Chocolate is another alternative, but Tim Hortons always does a piss poor job at making them and they almost always don't add enough mix and it just tastes like hot water with no flavouring. So I stopped ordering them. If they have them, Iced Cappuccino is awesome too.

My all time favourite though is English Toffee Cappuccinos, but they only decided to server them for like a week and then no one had them anymore. The fucking monsters.

#24 Posted by Lukeweizer (2687 posts) -

Go out for Slurpees. Or Ice Cream.

#25 Posted by RonGalaxy (3171 posts) -

From now on, you only drink black coffee. You'll drink it, and you'll like it. Because if you're trying to get a girl by showing off your knowledge of coffee, then you can't bullshit anything. You have to do it the right way, and the first rule of being a coffee hipster is drink black, and never go back.

#26 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

tea. a latte without espresso.

#27 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

or my personal favorite, shame for asking a girl out to coffee to get her to go with you when you don't drink coffee, and regret when she dumps you like too much taco bell after she finds out you don't drink coffee and it was a ruse.

although in realithy she was interested enough to say yes, so i'm sure she'll be understanding when you're honest with her about it (i don't really like coffee but i wanted a date and have zero imagination, sorry not sorry).

#28 Posted by Marcsman (3202 posts) -

I always invite girls out for drinks. Alcoholic drinks. Inhibitions annoy me.

#29 Posted by baka_shinji17 (233 posts) -

Touch her shoulder?

#30 Posted by Rejizzle (312 posts) -

The place might have an iced coffee of some sort. Like how iced tea is super sweet, cold tea, but with coffee.

#31 Edited by NTM (7383 posts) -
@acidbrandon18 said:

@ntm said:

I'm not a hundred percent sure on what coffee place we'll be going to. That is why I'd like to know some common drinks that can be found at most coffee shops.

I like mocha frappuccinos myself; if it's Starbucks, I always get a java chip frap; some girls have tried it when I told them it's what I drink, but they said they didn't really like it that much because they got ice chunks in theirs; that can happen, but not always, and even when it does, I don't mind so much. I have to ask though, why did you ask her out for coffee, if you don't drink coffee?

That's kind of weird. It just depends on where you want to go really. I mean, you asked, so you choose... Man, that's weird that you asked when you don't care for coffee yourself :P. Just know that, as you already may know, black coffee is pretty gross, at least to me; some like it... I say get a mocha. Not a cappuccino, unless you like foam (which I hate). Frappuccinos are my favorite.

The fact you're going when you don't particularly like coffee isn't a great idea though. Don't go with what looks ideal in your mind, just get what you like, if you can find something. I suggest you go places to figure this answer out.

#32 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

why would you ask her to go get coffee if you dont like coffee?

#33 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

Espresso. It's small in volume so if you don't like it you can pretty much neck it in one go.

Or get a hot chocolate. I mean there's no shame in that.

#34 Edited by Gaff (1758 posts) -
#35 Edited by JadeGL (876 posts) -

This is a nice list of some popular coffee drinks, and the pictures give you good idea of what they are and if you think they'll be to your taste.

I always go for a Americano when I want to be fancy pantsy, but its just espresso with twice the water, so it is a little bit much for non coffee drinkers. I used to do Cafe Au Lait all the time when I was younger, which is coffee with steamed milk. Very good. But I think the best choice, which has been brought up in the thread already, is a Mocha, which is typically much sweeter than my two personal favorites, so it will probably be easier to enjoy.

#36 Posted by TooWalrus (13208 posts) -

I've been in love with the iced white chocolate mocha w/ whipped cream since I was 12. As long as you're secure with you're masculinity you've got nothing to lose, it's delicious.

#37 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Order regular black and choke it down like a man. Also, your choice of drink here will determine the future and tone of your relationship with this lady for all time.

#38 Edited by RonGalaxy (3171 posts) -

@herbiebug said:

Order regular black and choke it down like a man.

this. Also, grande iced caramel macchiato with whipped cream if you are a wuss. Or drink sugar water if you don't want to drink coffee like a decent human being (heavy handed sarcasm that is not genuine at all)

#39 Posted by Yummylee (21695 posts) -

I suppose you'll be making a thread asking what to wear next.

#40 Posted by rickyyo (143 posts) -

I would get a dirty chai. It is a chai latte with a shot of espresso. The espresso shot gives it some of that coffeeness but the chai gives it that really nice spice. You could also get a Dirty Hippie which is the same thing except you also add a vanilla shot and honey.

#41 Posted by TheHT (11300 posts) -

Get water and sip it through a straw while hunched low over the table, being sure to never break eye contact.

#42 Posted by EthanielRain (851 posts) -

@humanity said:

Drinking Donuts has this thing called a chai tea latte which is this cinnamon flavored concoction - try asking for that

Drinking Donuts? That place sounds amazing.

#43 Edited by Hunter5024 (5691 posts) -

You didn't take my laser tag advice, so why should I give you more!

#44 Posted by crithon (3276 posts) -

just over do it with the milk and sugar, all of that kills the bitter taste of Coffee itself. You could also go with cookies to dip them into your coffee. Latte is also a good way to handle coffee but it's mostly milk and sugar also.

Once you go no sugar and milk then it's like just enjoying the taste itself and it becomes another level of enjoyment.

#45 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

You should probably stop thinking so much before you start rehearsing conversations in your head and you end up with a mess of a uh "date".

#46 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (747 posts) -

@ntm said:
@acidbrandon18 said:

@ntm said:

I like mocha frappuccinos myself; if it's Starbucks, I always get a java chip frap; some girls have tried it when I told them it's what I drink, but they said they didn't really like it that much because they got ice chunks in theirs; that can happen, but not always, and even when it does, I don't mind so much. I have to ask though, why did you ask her out for coffee, if you don't drink coffee?

That's kind of weird. It just depends on where you want to go really. I mean, you asked, so you choose... Man, that's weird that you asked when you don't care for coffee yourself :P. Just know that, as you already may know, black coffee is pretty gross, at least to me; some like it... I say get a mocha. Not a cappuccino, unless you like foam (which I hate). Frappuccinos are my favorite.

The fact you're going when you don't particularly like coffee isn't a great idea though. Don't go with what looks ideal in your mind, just get what you like, if you can find something. I suggest you go places to figure this answer out.

I was caught in the heat of the moment and it was what was recommended the most from my last thread, which was about figuring out a good place to go to hangout. Also I need to live a little and try new things. My only concept of coffee is the black stuff and don't have a frame of mind for the other more sophisticated drinks.

#47 Posted by Ruined_Fokkusu (16 posts) -

@yummylee said:

I hope so, I'd love to hear the life and times of Acidbrandon18

#48 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (587 posts) -

Iced coffee tastes much better than hot if you aren't used to it. Back when I first started drinking coffee, I got an iced vanilla coffee from Dunkin Donuts every day during work (14 hour shifts, 6 days a week). I used to be disgusted by coffee and that was the first one I could manage to finish. Eventually I moved on to stuff that actually tastes like coffee. I suggest iced with some kind of flavor in it, and you won't taste it much.

Get a muffin or something with it. You don't want to have a shitty coffee aftertaste in your mouth if you're not digging it. I have to look back at my reply to the other thread. I hope I said "Coffee or something" and not just "coffee". Good luck. It ain't that bad. Starbucks has some strawberry cream drink that's pretty great. Not what I would get on a coffee date, but just throwing it out there. Tastes like a straight up milkshake. If she wants one of those, you're good to go :)

#49 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@yummylee said:

I hope so, I'd love to hear the life and times of Acidbrandon18

The saga continues.

#50 Edited by misquared (35 posts) -

Oh, I get this question a lot at work (haha, always nice when Starbucks work knowledge comes in handy). Whatever drink you end up getting (I see a lot of mocha recommendations, and that's a good starter drink if you like chocolate) ask for ristretto shots. You can do this for any drink that involves shots rather than brewed coffee, and pretty much it's a shorter shot-- the machine leaves off the bitter end of the shot, and you end up with a more mellow and smooth coffee drink. It's great for people who are just starting to ease into espresso drinks :)

And also if you like your drinks a bit less sweet... I'd recommend a tall ristretto mocha with two pumps of mocha, no whip cream. (And this is advice is only really applicable to Starbucks, I don't know if other coffee chains default to putting whip cream on their mochas. I also don't know how many pumps of chocolate you'll get at other chains, but at Starbucks if you order a tall, it'll come with three pumps. Ordering just two will get you a drink that's less sweet). Or... you say you like caramel, you can always get a caramel mocha, just ask for maybe... One pump chocolate, one pump caramel?