Good easy to use video editing program?

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i use windows movie maker, but since that freezes up so easily, i wonder if there's any other free program like it with as simple interface & supports the same amount of different videofile types??

anyone have suggestions?

ezvid seemed cool, but it does not allow you to use your own music, wtf?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

@SpartanHoplite: Video editing software is never really gonna be very good on the free end. It costs a LOT to make decent video editing software. Adobe Premiere is what you want, and it'll run you $100 for Premiere Elements. It's easy-to-use for simple stuff and allows a lot of depth. Premiere Pro is the ideal, but that's $800 software, so I'll forgive you for not using it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By subject2change

I'd say go all in and go with the Smoke trial if you are on a Mac. Good luck learning it though!

I edit professionally and I use AVID Media Composer and Final Cut (not so much anymore), I started off with Sony Vegas but it's not very relevant. Give Premiere Pro a shot.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ghost_cat

I personally find Premiere Pro easy to use, so long as your only objective is to drop in video clips and sound onto the layered timeline. But it gets technical when diving into it's more advance tools for complex results.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By fox01313

Not sure about the free part but been happy with using Windows Movie as well as Adobe Premiere Elements, both seemed to be good at times on making different video file types or compression. If you're just putting things together for youtube either should work but you might just look for an earlier version of a paid program to find something functional that's not too expensive.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

if you just want a free cut and edit video editor, AVIDEMUX is good enough for that and supports a ton of formats. You can also export h.264 with it.

What it won't do is give you all kinds of fancy transitions and audio mixing.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By runnah555

@Marz said:

What it won't do is give you all kinds of fancy transitions and audio mixing.

Honestly you need 2 transitions, cross-disolve and fade to black. Everything else is just silly.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Brunchies

Adobe premier elements is pretty good for the cheap price so if your learning, I recommend that. If not, then get an avid product or a premier pro, I personally like that since is the easiest to use for me along with its easy integration with after effects.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sickVisionz

@runnah555 said:

Honestly you need 2 transitions, cross-disolve and fade to black. Everything else is just silly.

This is kinda nonsense. If you're doing dramas and PBS specials maybe so but there are definitely uses for more transitions than fade to black and cross dissolve across the wide range of content a video editor might create.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanx for the info!

I've tried out few of them now, but i still find WMM to be the best, even if it sux, just cause the interface is so easy to use & it supports so many formats, even .flv & it puts out the smallest size of videos.

I redownloaded older version of it, which works.. for now..

But i have couple other just in case it craps on me.

M$, get out of your lazy asses & update WMM already, with more stability it would be amazing.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By runnah555

@sickVisionz said:

@runnah555 said:

This is kinda nonsense. If you're doing dramas and PBS specials maybe so but there are definitely uses for more transitions than fade to black and cross dissolve across the wide range of content a video editor might create.

I am sorry, I forget lots of video editors use the star wipe transition...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk
@SpartanHoplite said:

M$, get out of your lazy asses & update WMM already, with more stability it would be amazing.

If it happens it's going to be part of a pay-package.

Sony Vegas is as cheap as it gets for high quality editing that'll last many years, I wonder how far a $100 Premiere package will get me, and what it lets me do compared to the $35 Vegas 9.

e: Okay $100 Premiere Elements looks like it's the second best value for money when it comes to video editing software and I gotta buy it some day.
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sickVisionz

@runnah555: there are uses for more than 2 transitions. I'm not sure why this even has to be argued.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By runnah555

@sickVisionz said:

@runnah555: there are uses for more than 2 transitions. I'm not sure why this even has to be argued.

I am of the opinion that all the post production razzle-dazzle is covering up the lack of talent in other areas.

You can use all the A1 sauce you want on a steak, but it won't cover up the fact that the steak was overcooked, dry and fatty.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sickVisionz

@runnah555: I mostly use straight cuts or dissolves, but the idea that every other possibility means you're covering up weakness just doesn't make any sense to me.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By runnah555

@sickVisionz said:

@runnah555: I mostly use straight cuts or dissolves, but the idea that every other possibility means you're covering up weakness just doesn't make any sense to me.

How does it not make sense? When you make a video you are telling a story. Using fancy post production trickery doesn't add to the story it only distracts from weakness in the filming, story or acting. Some of the best films use very little fancy post production and effects to tell that story. It's script, direction, acting and camera work.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JazGalaxy

@SpartanHoplite said:

i use windows movie maker, but since that freezes up so easily, i wonder if there's any other free program like it with as simple interface & supports the same amount of different videofile types??

anyone have suggestions?

ezvid seemed cool, but it does not allow you to use your own music, wtf?

If you use windows movie maker, you obviously don't have a mac, but if you did, then definitely final cut X. All the power of a high end video editor in a package for dummies. It's truly great and you can get as much out of it as you want to. Or not. It's all in your hands.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VP is good program, but what i tried it, its much more complicated to make it save smaller files. In WMM even some 10 minutes HD clips are only 400-600MB, for life of me cant figure out VP to do the same. & i would gladly pay for more stable WMM, its great how even flv works on it. But i'll try to figure out VP someday :/

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By DarthOrange

I have adobe and that shit is a head ache 90% of the time. I'm thinking of trying out Vegas, seeing if things are more user friendly.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By subject2change

Most programs I have worked on (Docs and Reality shows) are cuts are fairly simple. Fade to Black, Cross Dissolves and Fades with Blurs. You really don't need more than that. An Editors job is to tell a story and to tell it cleanly.

altarvic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May I give my recommendations here?

There are two very good video editing suites out there, Movavi and AVS.

Both packages deliver a set of high-quality applications, such as video editors, video converters etc. Easy to use, powerful and affordable. Both have free trial period. Personally, I use AVS...

http://avs-video-suite.org

http://movavi.org

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Live2bRighteous

I've been using Vegas Pro 10-12 for a few years now... it's never let me down, not to complicated, and it lets me accomplish what I want to visually make. Although, I feel like I've learned everything about Vegas Pro now, so I'm going to moving over to adobe premier soon.