#1 Posted by theartofbalance (15 posts) -

A few days ago a friend of mine gave me a Deadmau5 album called 4X4=12. So far I've been enjoying it quite a bit, but I've never listened to a lot of electronic music before and I have little history with the genre. For any fans of this music genre, what else is out there? I would really like to explore more of this type of music.

#2 Edited by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

Daftpunk need I say more...

Chemical brothers

Justice

R3hab

Avicii

Hardwell

Benny benassi

Ratatat!

Only some I just thought of!

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

Danger is pretty incredible:

#4 Edited by EuanDewar (4938 posts) -

Here's an assortment of things I love the shit out of. I have no idea if any of this what you're actually looking for but whatevs.

#5 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

@theartofbalance said:

A few days ago a friend of mine gave me a Deadmau5 album called 4X4=12. So far I've been enjoying it quite a bit, but I've never listened to a lot of electronic music before and I have little history with the genre. For any fans of this music genre, what else is out there? I would really like to explore more of this type of music.

Start with the seminal albums, that's usually the best way to get into a genre.

I'm going to recommend you a few of my favourite vintage electronic albums;

• Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
  • DEVO - Hardcore DEVO Vol.1
  • OMD - Organisation
  • Bjork - Homogenic
  • Moby - Everything is Wrong
  • Visage - Visage

And an underrated wildcard...

• Madonna - Ray Of Light
#6 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Really depends if you're into really deep, driving electronic music, or just want to wet your feet with what's popular (which Deadmau5 certainly is). I listened to trance music for years and years, before I knew there was much better stuff out there.

#7 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

@theartofbalance said:

Start with the seminal albums, that's usually the best way to get into a genre.

I'm going to recommend you a few of my favourite vintage electronic albums;

• Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
  • DEVO - Hardcore DEVO Vol.1
  • OMD - Organisation
  • Bjork - Homogenic

And an underrated wildcard...

• Madonna - Ray Of Light

Dude..Homogenic is fucking awesome, though I like Vespertine equally. Bjork has always managed to secure such great musical partnerships, such as LFO and Matmos.

#8 Edited by EuanDewar (4938 posts) -

Also feel the need to point out my favourite band here.

#9 Edited by InfiniteSpark (307 posts) -

Check out some artists from Kompakt, a dedicated German electronica/techno music label. Gas and The Field are the artists I would recommend from this group.

Other artists I recommend are Mouse on Mars, The Prodigy, Air, M83, New Order, Daft Punk and Depeche Mode.

#10 Edited by Henrythetrain (19 posts) -

This is more 2-step than pure dance, but if you like it there's plenty more

Give it a chance its worth it...

#11 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@InfiniteSpark said:

Check out some artists from Kompakt, a dedicated German electronica/techno music label. Gas and The Field are the artists I would recommend from this group.

Other artists I recommend are Mouse on Mars, The Prodigy, Air, M83, New Order, Daft Punk and Depeche Mode.

Kompakt is such a great label. Really good start if you want to get into good electronic music. Dance music with personality.

#12 Posted by Stepside (512 posts) -
  • DJ Shadow
  • Anything on the NinjaTune label
#13 Posted by Sbaitso (535 posts) -

I'd look up Digitalism, Propellerheads, The Crystal Method, DJ Mehdi, Basement Jaxx, and Kraftwerk along with all those mentioned previously to get started figuring out your tastes. Also, Midnight Brown, which is fairly electronic, and free!

#14 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

I always found Deadmau5 to be on the more mellow side of EDM. Other artists that kinda match his style IMO are:

• Avicii
  • Madeon
  • Gareth Emery
  • Kaskade
  • Armin Van Buuren
  • ATB
  • Hardwell
#15 Posted by jounaahuja (1 posts) -

Kalm Kaoz just went to Ultra Music Festival 2013 and created a short, 30-minute set on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/kalmkaoz/kalm-kaoz-kaoz-theory)

#16 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

Deadmau5 has a song called Strobe that's straight audio ecstasy. So is Avicii's Levels. A lot of people will tell you Avicii's overrated and Levels is played out but I can still listen to it like it just dropped yesterday.

This song has blown the fuck up in the last few months too:

For best results take Ecstasy.

#17 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

You should check out Lindsey Stirling and Glitch Mob.

#18 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

oh man- the medium is so damn large, it's almost impossible to tell you where to start (a common music-appreciation problem). what other sorts of stuff are you into? i will offer one quick recommendation that i just got into:

this came out a little while ago, and as i'm a huge fan of apparat i'm not sure how i missed it when it was new. anyway- it's an amazing compromise between minimalist-dance and glitched-out, more cerebral idm. you can ignore all the bullshit i just spouted in the previous sentence and just have a sample here.

@gizmo said:

• Madonna - Ray Of Light

bless you- that record (while popular at the time) goes to some amazing places. although she really hasn't had one as consistent since that record, i thought this more recent one was a similarly brilliant tune.

#19 Posted by aurahack (2271 posts) -

oh man- the medium is so damn large, it's almost impossible to tell you where to start (a common music-appreciation problem). what other sorts of stuff are you into? i will offer one quick recommendation that i just got into:

this came out a little while ago, and as i'm a huge fan of apparat i'm not sure how i missed it when it was new. anyway- it's an amazing compromise between minimalist-dance and glitched-out, more cerebral idm. you can ignore all the bullshit i just spouted in the previous sentence and just have a sample here.

Orchestra of Bubbles is an absolutely brilliant album.

Considering you like 4x4=12, you should check out deadmau5's Random Album Title as well. It's a bit more house-oriented as opposed to 4x4=12 but is, in my opinion, still his best album.

Otherwise, check out some similar musicians in dance music that actually put out good, original stuff. Check out Porter Robinson, Steve Aoki, Above and Beyond, Justice, and Wolfgang Gartner. I'll dump a bunch of Youtube links at the bottom for ease to check out but you should stick to what's really popular right now. A good understanding of the more ubiquitous dance music sound will let you enjoy more complex stuff like Apparat, Boys Noize, The M Machine, she, or Ken Ishii.

If you want an easy way of looking them up, you can go to Grooveshark to check out a pretty good library of all their stuff for free. The organization there can be a mess sometimes but you can stream so much music for free! Freeeeeeeeee!

Additionally, don't be afraid to dive out a bit more outside the boundaries of typical dance music. Both trance, breakbeat, drum and bass, and house have multiple sub-genres that offer some really amazing music worth checking out. Just ask @buzz_clik!

For now, though, I recommend what I followed above:

If you're feeling more adventurous, though, don't be afraid to look some of these up, too!

Sorry for the lengthy post. D: Welcome to the wacky world of dance music, though!

#20 Posted by planetfunksquad (440 posts) -

#21 Edited by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

@aurahack said:

Orchestra of Bubbles is an absolutely brilliant album.

i KNOW right!? i was having a look at apparat's discography last week to check out some of his more recent material and didn't recognize this one (and it was dated 2006). so i had a quick listen and by halfway through the first track i was like, "good GOD this is going to be good." and as it turns out, my first impression was resoundingly accurate.

GETTING BACK OT-

this will date me, but here is something fun to mess with. it's limited, lo-fi and outdated, but it gives a good sense of the sheer diversity and history of the genre.

#22 Edited by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -

Gramatik and Bonobo.

#23 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Mord Fustang :

Seven Lions :

501: