#1 Posted by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

Hello I was just wondering is there any good films coming out this year because i haven't really watch a good film in ages! Is there any good films coming out?

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

The new Star Trek and Pacific Rim are pretty good if you're into action movies. I hear Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel were fine, as well.

As far as thoughtful movies, I really have no idea what's good at the moment; though, I've heard The Place Beyond the Pines and 42 are good.

#3 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Actually some pretty good movies this year...to name some that I've seen:

• Pacific Rim
  • Monsters University
  • Despicable Me 2
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • Man of Steel
  • The World's End
  • World War Z
  • Now You See Me
#4 Edited by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

Thank you! I will have a look tonight :)

#5 Edited by DeF (4854 posts) -

Much Ado About Nothing

the only movie that matters this year.

#6 Posted by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

Whats World War Z like?

#7 Posted by audioBusting (1501 posts) -
#8 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5815 posts) -

Fruitvale Station is pretty good.

#9 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2149 posts) -

Mud

The Wolverine

Evil Dead

Pacific Rim

Out of the numerous movies I've seen this year, those were the ones that weren't incredibly disappointing.

Edit: Oh crap, I forgot about Fast and Furious 6, that movie was excellent.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

Mud

The Wolverine

Evil Dead

Pacific Rim

Out of the numerous movies I've seen this year, those were the ones that weren't incredibly disappointing.

heh. Such a strong endorsement!

#12 Edited by GunstarRed (5115 posts) -

That film with Wesley Snipes as a cowboy that kills zombies and is in no way some kind of western-Blade kind of thing.

I am a liar.

#13 Edited by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

Good films this year? You'll have better luck at your local arthouse

#14 Posted by zenmastah (889 posts) -
#15 Edited by EXTomar (4665 posts) -

I've mentioned elsewhere that it is kind of sad the best summer movies this year are Pacific Rim and Furious 6 and there are problems with Pacific Rim. Hollywood should learn "moody" and "dark" do not make up for nonsense stories.

On the honorable mentions list: The Wolverine was surprisingly good. My only real complaint is that they tried to stick with a soft rating so that means the guy with unbreakable, razor sharp claws that gets into many melee fights somehow spills only a cup of blood, mostly on clothes the entire movie. Especially when viewed in the context of Man of Steel with a guy who hems and haws about what is going on instead of noticing everything is blowing up, The Wolverine does a hero movie correctly.

Much Ado About Nothing is also a surprise where the issue is the lack of rehearsal shows. If they kept the low budget but made all of the principals rehearse a bunch more it probably would have been "Oscar Caliber".

#16 Posted by VierasTalo (738 posts) -

I've kind of seen all or most of the big mainstream movies of the year since some nuts pay me to review them. The few good ones have been The Last Stand, Trance, Evil Dead, Pacific Rim, Fast & Furious 6, Stoker, The Wolverine and I Declare War. The best of these was probably the last one, since it's the only one of these I scored above 3½ out of five. Kind of a pissy year thus far.

#17 Edited by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

Yeah I want to see The Wolverine to be honest because I've saw all x-men films!

#18 Posted by RonGalaxy (3094 posts) -
#19 Edited by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

@vierastalo:

I agree! Haven't been good films out this year! Next year looks like the year for films!

#20 Posted by falserelic (5411 posts) -

or you can watch some older movies..

#21 Edited by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

@falserelic: Saw that film! Not the biggest fan of Jeepers Creepers. But I know they are bringing a new one out next year.

#22 Posted by falserelic (5411 posts) -

What about this movie..

Its abit cheesy, but fun to watch.

To give an idea about the story: Guy gets bit by a spider, gets super-human abilities (sounds like spider-man I know) but ends up slowly transforming into a giant spider.

#23 Posted by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

@falserelic: Oh wow that actually sounds good! Ill give that a watch. is it actually good?

#24 Posted by falserelic (5411 posts) -

@falserelic: Oh wow that actually sounds good! Ill give that a watch. is it actually good?

Its a decent movie, its worth checking out if your bored.

#25 Posted by armaan8014 (5378 posts) -

Ship of Theseus (<--- Imdb link) is apparently an amazing Indian film. Gonna go watch it today, though I doubt its showing in many places; it's sort of an indie-film. If its playing anywhere or there's any way you can watch it, then i'd suggest that. (I live in India so its been in theaters here for a short while, today's the last show.

Trailer:

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@jakemoore1106: WWZ is really good provided you're not expecting the book. Pacific Rim is great so is Star Trek. The Wolverine is worth a watch. Also I haven't seen it yet but I'm just gonna assume Elysium is awesome.

#27 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

Much Ado About Nothing, I want to see Blue Jasmine, and I really liked This Is the End. I've seen some good movies this year.

#28 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

There aren't any good films, get out of here

#29 Edited by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@darthorange would probably suggest you watch Citizen Kane. It's kind of the pinnacle of entertainment and the bar by which all media is judged.

#30 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange would probably suggest you watch Citizen Kane NEW SUPER LUIGI U. It's kind of the pinnacle of entertainment and the bar by which all media is judged.

#31 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange would probably suggest you watch PLAY Citizen Kane NEW SUPER LUIGI U. It's kind of the pinnacle of entertainment and the bar by which all media is judged.

#32 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2674 posts) -

Hello I was just wondering is there any good films coming out this year because i haven't really watch a good film in ages! Is there any good films coming out?

What do you like?

Drama? Science fictions? Period pieces? Foreign films? Quirky comedies?

What I liked this year and last:
Killing Them Softly
Robot & Frank
Fireflies in the Garden
The Secret World of Arrietty (2012)

And, all the other sci-fi and superhero stuff that came out over the last two years.

#33 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@gunstarred said:

That film with Wesley Snipes as a cowboy that kills zombies and is in no way some kind of western-Blade kind of thing.

I am a liar.

Maaaan, I was so psyched for about half a second.

WTF, wait a minute . . .

#34 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -

@enigma777 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange would probably suggest you watch PLAY Citizen Kane NEW SUPER LUIGI U. It's kind of the pinnacle of entertainment and the bar by which all media is judged.

No they should just watch it. Lest they overload on the majesty of it all, you know?

#35 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

All you need is Pacific Rim.

Other than that, there have been plenty of films worth watching in recent memory. I personally really enjoyed

• Evil Dead
  • The Wolverine
  • The Conjuring
  • Man of Steel
  • Star Trek Into Darkness

They're not perfect, but their still fun to watch.

#36 Posted by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -

The films I'm looking forward to are The World's End and The Wolf of Wall Street. I'll also probably end up watching the new Thor and the second Hobbit, but I'm not "looking forward" to them, per se, nor am I convinced they'll be any good.

#37 Edited by spraynardtatum (2806 posts) -

Look up the movie Her.

It's Spike Jonze new movie. It looks incredible. It's about a guy who falls in love with his OS voiced by Scarlett Johanssen

#38 Posted by ShaggE (6415 posts) -

All I really saw from this year were Mama, The Conjuring, Evil Dead, VHS2, Maniac, The ABCs of Death, John Dies at the End and American Mary. Not much has appealed to me this year other than horror. I haven't looked very hard, having gone for older movies instead, but at least as far as Hollywood stuff goes, it's been underwhelming. There's non-horror stuff I'm interested in, mind, I just haven't seen them yet.

I do suggest all of what I listed, though. ABCs was kinda bad, but it's worth seeing, and the others range from "fun" to "legitimately great". Of course, disregard if horror isn't your thing.

#39 Posted by Whitestripes09 (401 posts) -

Grown Ups 2

Just kidding. Go watch Pacific Rim and Star Trek.

#40 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@enigma777 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No they should just watch it. Lest they overload on the majesty of it all, you know?

I agree with everything these chuckle heads said.

#41 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

This is the End, Pacific Rim, and Star Trek are the only films out this year that I've seen. Liked all of 'em.

#42 Posted by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

@monkeyking1969:

In all fairness I like all types! my main ones are action and comedies you can never beat a film what can make you laugh :)

#43 Posted by laserguy (443 posts) -

That Gallowwalkers looks bad, but Wesley Pipes gotta eat and pay the goverment.

#45 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@gunstarred said:

I am a liar.

Maaaan, I was so psyched for about half a second.

WTF, wait a minute . . .

Well, damn. You just saved me the trouble of looking it up.

#46 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2674 posts) -

It may seem weird but I always try to watch a few art films. The previews before such films are often very surprising because a lot of films that only run in major 'art' cities (New York, LA, Chicago, and San Francisco, etc) are shown. There are a ton of great independent/small arts films with major stars that are well worth watching. People say that great films are not made anymore, but they are, they just don't run in your local cineplex chain.

#47 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

i really liked sound city!

#48 Posted by Daiphyer (1333 posts) -

Much Ado About Nothing

Shame

Mud

Pacific Rim

This Is the End

and

FAST AND FURIOUS 6. BOOM.

#49 Edited by Rafaelfc (1327 posts) -

If there ever was an award for best single shot of the year, World War Z would take it.

#50 Posted by gusssk (11 posts) -

A Place Beyond the Pines.