#1 Posted by charliesheen22 (99 posts) -

apple has the portable music player market by the balls, and it frustrates me very much. I just want something that plays music with very very very good quality. and I want it to be able to play flac. does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

flac media player? Aren't those file sizes insane?

Anyways I did a search to see if such a thing exists and suprisingly it does..

#3 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Doesn't the Zune support those file sizes?

#4 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Im not much of an audiophile, so I dont know if it plays flac. But the modern walkman's are pretty damn good.

#5 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

Sansa clip is supposed to be a really good, cheaper option and it does flac.

#6 Edited by monstersnsoup (80 posts) -

Cowon is really the only company still around that support flac. All of their players are super high quality and have very good audio quality, much better that any iPod. The problem is that they're pretty expensive. You could always get an old 5.5gen iPod and throw rock box on it.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Yanngc33 said:

Zune

Rolfcopter

#8 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Zune

Rolfcopter

What's wrong with Zunes?
#9 Posted by BSchneider30 (58 posts) -

I always thought that having lossless audio files on a portable device doesn't mean much unless you are using super high end headphones with it. I could be wrong though.

#10 Posted by wimpelmeesje (10 posts) -

I have a Sansa Clip and I think it's great. Cheap, small, a decent UI, supports many codecs and above all superb sound quality even with high-end headphones. 
It's a device with limited storage space though (I think the maximum is 8Gb) so that's the one thing that might hold you back.

#11 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

If I don't use my iPod, I use my BlackBerry. I know, I know, but I actually quite like it as an alternative - saves having to carry more than one device and the sounds half decent.

#12 Posted by hoossy (934 posts) -
@charliesheen22:  
 
I used to own a Cowon several years ago before I dropped it in the toilet while I was taking a piss   (don't ask, sad day) 
 It was the D2, a lovable little device with an sd slot and an incredible battery life.  Audio is top notch, in fact, Cowon probably makes some of the finest sounding mp3 players on the market.  The menu system was confusing... that was really it's only downfall, but as a tech geek, I lived with it. 
 
 So 
 
I recommend the Cowon C2   http://astore.amazon.com/wwwjetmallnet-20/detail/B005408LK2 
 
Basically it's D2 2.0 
 
Still the great small form factor, incredible audio, battery, and storage capacity.  With a much improved menu system, I am actually considering getting it myself  (assuming I can save up for it)
#13 Edited by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

Zune HD is the best mp3 player I've ever used...but no flac that I know of

You could also look into other formats like ALAC or WMA lossless

#14 Posted by MonetaryDread (2030 posts) -
@monstersnsoup said:

Cowon is really the only company still around that support flac. All of their players are super high quality and have very good audio quality, much better that any iPod. The problem is that they're pretty expensive. You could always get an old 5.5gen iPod and throw rock box on it.

Cowan have the best hardware out of any mp3 player.  It really makes an ipod sound like you stuck your headphones in shit.
#15 Posted by Thule (692 posts) -

Get a Cowon J3. I have one and it's great. It's audio quality is amazing and it has a huge battery life. It also supports nearly every format you can think of. It's also got an AMOLED screen which is just the right size for watching a movie. Everything is clear and crisp and all the colors are very vibrant. It's touchscreen is also protected by this incredible glass that doesn't scratch at all.(Check out youtube video's testing the glass if you want to see what kind of abuse you can throw at it.)

There's a modding community so if you want to change the look of anything, you can. Check out the specs and some reviews and decide for yourself. It's also rather cheap, in my opinion, considering the quality you get for it. I bought a 16gig version for 250 euro's a year ago. The 16gig version is 210 euro's now and the 32gig version is 250 now, so that's a steal if you enjoy listening to your music in the best possible quality.

#16 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Convert your .flac to .aac and buy a iPod touch or iPod classic.

The iPods are popular for a reason, they are actually great devices. Get over your irrational hate for apple.

#17 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

don't know about flac, but i have a  Sandisk sansa view 8gig. i use it from time to time. the only time i listen to music is when i'm driving, or on my computer sometimes.

#18 Posted by charliesheen22 (99 posts) -
@iam3green said:
don't know about flac, but i have a  Sandisk sansa view 8gig. i use it from time to time. the only time i listen to music is when i'm driving, or on my computer sometimes.
my irrational hate for apple is not so irrational. they refuse to do anything unless you do it the apple way, which really pisses me off. they refuse to let their devices support file formats that they do not directly control (hence the creation of apple lossless format). they let their products which have genuinely wonderful potential become shit because rather than go for the better product, they simply go for mass market appeal and market control. the fact that it took so long for them to even consider offering music DRM free makes my brain go off into another dimension. and don't even get me started on the fact that itunes always has it's dick up your ipod's ass whenever you're trying to do shit, the goddamn thing is fucking impossible to use properly. 
 
but this is not an apple hate thread, and I thank you guys for your suggestions. I was looking into cowon, they look pretty good
#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@Buckfitches said:

Convert your .flac to .aac and buy a iPod touch or iPod classic.

The iPods are popular for a reason, they are actually great devices. Get over your irrational hate for apple.

This. iPod remains the best choice for MP3 players.

#20 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Steve Jobs told me Ipods are the one true MP3 player, you should get one. Steve Jobs knows all!

#21 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

@charliesheen22: Every other company does the same heinous shit as apple does, but behind the scenes, and iTunes, while shit, isn't nearly as bad as you make it seem. If you simply want the best portable media player right now, it's the iPod touch.

That said, if you don't care about games, apps, touchscreens or cameras, and just want high quality music, the Sansa Clip is excellent.

It's tiny, plays everything, lasts forever, and it's cheap. I have one for when i'm running, and it's terrific.

For the more higher-end, the Cowon brand reigns supreme. The S9, J3, all great machines, even if they are a little on the pricey side.

I sold MP3 players for 2 years, i have used and tried pretty much every brand and model out there.

#22 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Anything Cowon. I have an iAudio9 and the sound is great. And it has a radio tuner (FM only) which is great to listen to the morning show on the way into workie.

#23 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Zune

Rolfcopter

Other than it being a dead product that wasn't released in 90% of the world.. The Zune was a great media player, infinitely superior to the iPod.

#24 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: I assume you are talking about the older zunes? The fat ones?

Because yeah, those were pretty awesome.

#25 Posted by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

I use a Sony Walkman, great sound once you tweak the equalizer.

#26 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:

@Buckfitches said:

Convert your .flac to .aac and buy a iPod touch or iPod classic.

The iPods are popular for a reason, they are actually great devices. Get over your irrational hate for apple.

This. iPod remains the best choice for MP3 players.

@Napalm said:
That sounds pretty irrational to me. It seems like nobody ever has well-reasoned opinions on why they don't like Apple. It's always the loudmouth on the internet who just wants to scream expletives and declare their "complaints" as "valid". 


iPods are so overpriced it's ridiculous. A 2GB iPod shuffle costs 50 bucks, while an 8GB Sansa clip goes for $60, and it has a screen for easier navigation (good luck looking for an individual song with 6 buttons and no screen). But if you'll want an iPod with 8GB of storage you'll have to pay a whopping $150 for an iPod nano only because it has a motherfucking touchscreen (because Apple has apparently proven that touchscreens are essential for everything, even a 1,5" touchscreen seems to be indispensable on an MP3 player the size of a post stamp).
 
But hey, not wanting to pay thrice as much for a device is apparently called 'irrational' nowadays.
#27 Edited by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

Zunes are the best media player out there because you're not tied down to shitty old iTunes software. Zune Media Player is great for listening to music on your computer and the device itself is amazing. It's too bad they don't make them anymore. 
 
@Buckfitches: Pretty sure he's talking about the Zune HD. That device is the most beautiful media player around. You can still buy them new on Amazon too.

#28 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (183 posts) -

Just get an android phone like everyone else. I haven't filled my sd card yet.

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

My brother was looking for such a thing and got an Archos internet tablet. He seems very happy with it, but it is on the whole rather bulky. I'm not sure that it plays flac, but I think it does.

I'm both waiting for and dreading the day when my iPod dies so that I too can fully free myself from the shackles of Apple. I even switched to Foobar2000 a few years ago in anticipation. The damn thing keeps going though. In the meantime, high capacity players are a rarity.

#30 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@charliesheen22 said:
@iam3green said:
don't know about flac, but i have a  Sandisk sansa view 8gig. i use it from time to time. the only time i listen to music is when i'm driving, or on my computer sometimes.
my irrational hate for apple is not so irrational. they refuse to do anything unless you do it the apple way, which really pisses me off. they refuse to let their devices support file formats that they do not directly control (hence the creation of apple lossless format). they let their products which have genuinely wonderful potential become shit because rather than go for the better product, they simply go for mass market appeal and market control. the fact that it took so long for them to even consider offering music DRM free makes my brain go off into another dimension. and don't even get me started on the fact that itunes always has it's dick up your ipod's ass whenever you're trying to do shit, the goddamn thing is fucking impossible to use properly.  but this is not an apple hate thread, and I thank you guys for your suggestions. I was looking into cowon, they look pretty good
That sounds pretty irrational to me. It seems like nobody ever has well-reasoned opinions on why they don't like Apple. It's always the loudmouth on the internet who just wants to scream expletives and declare their "complaints" as "valid". 
 
@Thule said:

Get a Cowon J3. I have one and it's great. It's audio quality is amazing and it has a huge battery life. It also supports nearly every format you can think of. It's also got an AMOLED screen which is just the right size for watching a movie. Everything is clear and crisp and all the colors are very vibrant. It's touchscreen is also protected by this incredible glass that doesn't scratch at all.(Check out youtube video's testing the glass if you want to see what kind of abuse you can throw at it.)

There's a modding community so if you want to change the look of anything, you can. Check out the specs and some reviews and decide for yourself. It's also rather cheap, in my opinion, considering the quality you get for it. I bought a 16gig version for 250 euro's a year ago. The 16gig version is 210 euro's now and the 32gig version is 250 now, so that's a steal if you enjoy listening to your music in the best possible quality.

I just Amazon'd the Cowon J3 and my god, that thing is fucking sexy.
#31 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@Thule said:

Get a Cowon J3. I have one and it's great.

Jesus Christ, that thing has a 65 hour battery. 
 
That's fucking scary.
#32 Edited by Helushune (215 posts) -

Give the Cowon models a whirl; you won't be dissapointed.

@imsh_pl said:

@Thule said:

Get a Cowon J3. I have one and it's great.

Jesus Christ, that thing has a 65 hour battery. That's fucking scary.

The X7 is advertised at 103 hours of music playback. Bam said the lady.

#33 Posted by believer258 (11905 posts) -
@charliesheen22 said:
apple has the portable music player market by the balls, and it frustrates me very much. I just want something that plays music with very very very good quality. and I want it to be able to play flac. does anyone have any suggestions?
Yes, I do. 
 
Playing FLAC portably isn't very practical, considering that the human ear can't really tell the difference between a FLAC file and a very high-quality MP3 file just ripped from a CD. You should probably not worry about that. That said, I'm going to recommend something from the Sony Walkman series. They all sound excellent. 
 
If you must have everything in FLAC format, look up one of Cowon's MP3 players. They have good sound and pretty wide file support from what I've heard.
Online
#34 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Well, there's an app for playing .flac files on iPhone/iPad/iPod... aptly (pun intended) called "Flac Player".

#35 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Convert your FLAC to ALAC like me.

Problem solved.

#36 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/392023/any-flac-portable-media-player
 
google is a friend.