#1 Posted by firecracker22 (521 posts) -

So, up until this week I've had Cablevision/Optimum as an ISP. My parents are switching to satellite tv, and they got sent over to hughesnet to get that as an ISP. But, I've looked it up and I'm reading nothing but horrible things about how slow and how bad the lag can be with them.

So, can anyone recommend any good ISPs?

#2 Posted by Veektarius (4144 posts) -

Cablevision? I take it you're on Long Island? No access to FiOS?

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

It would probably help if you said where you are located.

The best bet would be to run a speedtest on your current service, once you do that it will give you a comparison of all the providers available in your area.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11039 posts) -

"Good ISP" seems to be an oxymoron.

My family doesn't seem to have a ton of issues with Time Warner compared to AT&T, though. Speaking of, AT&T is the devil.

#5 Posted by Mageman (352 posts) -

Funny I recently wanted to make a thread in regards to ISPs and why the hell it always comes down to choosing the lesser evil. It just seems that ISP companies are pretty much the worst.

#6 Posted by firecracker22 (521 posts) -

I live in Yonkers (New York).

And yeah...no FIOS available. We check every year, and checked this week, and FIOS isn't available in my area. Yet, atleast.

And my service has already been cut, so I don't think I could do a speedtest. We're literally without internet or cable at the moment, but man reading up on hughesnet has me wanting to find something else.

#7 Posted by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

Why not stick with Optimum for Internet service? I have it in Brooklyn and it's fantastic.It's not FIOS, but i pay 100 bucks a month for TV, Internet and Phone (TV includes HBO/Show)

#8 Posted by firecracker22 (521 posts) -

Yeah, the "lesser evil" thing really does ring true. Everywhere I'm checking, and reading reviews and whatnot...they all seem to do something wrong.

As long as it's not horrible, I think I'd be happy. And satellite internet sounds like it's the worst thing, with the delay.

#9 Posted by firecracker22 (521 posts) -

@Subject2Change: I would, but my parents fell behind on payments and it's mounted up. I think they'd need to pay something like $900 to get service fully restored. Even with me and my brother chipping in, we'd be short. I think the plan is to try something else and see if it that works out. If not, then maybe we could all afford to go back to Cablevision.

I mean, it reminds me alot of the conversations I've heard on the bombcast. It's almost crazy for me to hear my mother actually toss around the idea of no cable whatsoever, and going in with Hulu Plus and keeping Netflix and Amazon Prime. I think if by monday, which is when Direct TV is supposed to come and install, I'll know for sure if we do that.

#10 Posted by Veektarius (4144 posts) -

No Time Warner in Yonkers either? Not that I recommend them, but they're at least a large enough company not to be a total nightmare.

#11 Edited by firecracker22 (521 posts) -

No, it looks like I'm in a really bad area and my options are worse than I thought.

Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T Uverse, and Verizon are all unavailable in my area. And the appointment for tomorrow's installation from Hughesnet is already cancelled.

#12 Posted by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

@firecracker22 said:

@Subject2Change: I would, but my parents fell behind on payments and it's mounted up. I think they'd need to pay something like $900 to get service fully restored. Even with me and my brother chipping in, we'd be short. I think the plan is to try something else and see if it that works out. If not, then maybe we could all afford to go back to Cablevision.

I mean, it reminds me alot of the conversations I've heard on the bombcast. It's almost crazy for me to hear my mother actually toss around the idea of no cable whatsoever, and going in with Hulu Plus and keeping Netflix and Amazon Prime. I think if by monday, which is when Direct TV is supposed to come and install, I'll know for sure if we do that.

I didn't have cable for the longest time, fortunately it was cheap enough in a bundle package. So I decided to get it

Honestly it's not that far fetched, you can download most TV shows on iTunes or through other means fairly easily. Just the only issue is no channel flipping without it.