#1 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

So sadly tomorrow my premium membership expires and I am unable to afford at this time to renew. I can say for sure that I feel as though it has been a great value for me. I have now been living for over 2 years without TV of any kind. So the only entertainment I get besides video games and books is streaming content from things like Netflix , Hulu ( which is kinda not that great) , Youtube and of course Giantbomb.

I think The thing I enjoy more then anything with premium membership is that I can not only watch contact I missed the live broadcast of. But I can also download it to mobile devices and watch on the go or my TV. I am a big person on having background noise in so form when I am reading , playing games or even..going to sleep at night. I am pretty sure my PS3 HD is pretty full of GB content from both current and previous events. If anyone else Is like me I also like to watch old features like endurance run or random PC game.

Anyway enough on the rambling . My point is It is one of the major features I am going to miss during the time I cannot have the premium membership is downloading and watching archived content. I was wondering what things about it everyone else enjoys and if anyone else is kinda I guess living the in same fashion, No TV etc?

#2 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

see you star side.

#3 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3799 posts) -

Sad to here man. I have television but no cable. Besides GB been living off Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime for about a year. Like you I do like rewatching some of the old premium stuff playing in the background if I'm gaming or studying. Always nice to have white noise in the background of sorts. In all honesty I thought it was gonna be tough not having cable tv and not being able to randomly flip on the telly and watch random shit but only thing I've probably missed about not having cable is sportscenter and maybe one or two random shows like star wars clone wars. I think Amazon Instant Stream and Itunes have been good alternatives for shows that I want to catch right away and I have a few bucks to spend on the episode.

#4 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft: I tried amazon a bit and I enjoy it and may get it again here in the near future. Yeah I do not miss TV really at all . there is only a few shows like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones , Breaking Bad that I watch and I do so at friends houses lol. But yeah I really hate that Its going expire. :(

#5 Posted by handlas (2748 posts) -

Canceled my cable last month and got a premium membership this month. I upgraded! My first membership and I'm loving the Random PC game videos.

#6 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

@handlas: That's awesome :) . I will renew sometimes . Its just a matter of having the funds to do so. even canceled my netflix so my options are getting pretty limited right now.

#7 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback everyone. . I am off to bed I hope everyone has a great night.

#8 Posted by tysonwritesel (93 posts) -

@Deathshroud: Bummer man hopefully you'll get a Pay It Forward for your account. I feel your pain to be down on cash.

#9 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

Where's the Team Brad shirt? :(

#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I only just hooked an antenna up to my TV recently after several years without it, it's amazing what a combination of GB, the majority of TV being shit, and the Internet have done to make watching commercial television redundant in my life.

I only hooked it back up due to wanting to watch the footy.

#11 Posted by Legend (2661 posts) -
@Deathshroud The free live streams are archived on Giant Bomb's account on twitch.tv. You can watch them there, and even download them using software that let's you download online videos. There is an add-on for firefox that does that.
#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15133 posts) -

Yeah, as others have said your best bet for things like TNT archives is the Twitch archives. In some cases that is the place to go regardless as some TNT's like the CAH one is out of sync with the audio on the version on the site.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3892 posts) -

Welcome to the club!

#14 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

Spookin with Scoops will be goin out on Twitch too correct?

As for me, I flip back and forth on the renewal. I complain about the lack of subscriber content, but I'm lacking a cable connection.. as all television is worthless aside from what I can already get on netflix; so I may need to re-up when the time comes.

TV.. dead since Deadwood.

#15 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

@tysonwritesel: That would be great . BTW again thank you all for the feedback and ideas . I'll try some of the stuff you told me and see how that works out .

#16 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3243 posts) -

I kind of miss not having GB subscriber stuff on my Roku box. I could listen to Jar Time while cleaning the house or making dinner or whatever.

#17 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

@Apparatus_Unearth: I have always been interested in getting something like a Roku box ,. is it pretty cool? Not that it would be good use to me at the moment lol

#18 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

You can't afford 5 dollars a month? Don't buy a sandwich one day! Giant Bomb is more important!

#19 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87: At this time no , I cannot even afford $5 a month. But again maybe soon, we will see.

#20 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3243 posts) -

@Deathshroud said:

@Apparatus_Unearth: I have always been interested in getting something like a Roku box ,. is it pretty cool? Not that it would be good use to me at the moment lol

Yeah, it's a typical media streaming box. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Giantbomb, Screened (RIP), all kinds of stuff. The usual stuff is on there, but so is some obscure stuff. Pretty cheap.

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -
#22 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

@Deathshroud said:

Yeah, it's a typical media streaming box. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Giantbomb, Screened (RIP), all kinds of stuff. The usual stuff is on there, but so is some obscure stuff. Pretty cheap.

I'm a big fan of the Roku box. It's a cheap way to stream video to your TV. An obvious problem, however, is that you need to have content to stream and Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc... cost money. (There are a bunch of free channels, including a channel that lets you watch podcasts and a channel that lets you stream content from your PC via a free application, so you'll still have access to a ton of content in any case.)

The Giant Bomb channel is a convenient way to watch this site's content but it doesn't contain the full archive. There appears to be some kind of limitation on the number of files it will keep because as new videos are added, old ones are removed. Not a big deal if you just want to watch the latest videos but it can be a disappointing when you go searching for an old Quick Look or Endurance Run video and discover that it's been bumped.

#23 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

@Fattony12000: LMAO

@bchampnd: hmm that seems like something that would really suit my needs as far as entertainment delivery . Maybe Christmas i'll get one :P

#24 Posted by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -

@Deathshroud: Now you can get that same great feeling of subbing, with none of the benefits!

#25 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

My free year-long premium membership expired not too long ago, oh well.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I don't have TV at the moment and for a long time I thought I was better off without it, but while you can certainly get a lot out of the internet, I think there's something to be said for being able to turn on your TV and have some there to watch without searching for things, and being able to flick between channels. Anyway, I hope your financial situation gets better in the future duder.

#27 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

I am trying to convince my GF that its worth the $5 a month for the sub but she is not budging lol . I am hoping to convince her soon and then when i can bump it up to the annual membership again. I really hope they have a sale on it soon . That would really help.