#1 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

Thought I'd give folks a heads up about the news that Google is doing another one of their infamous spring cleans and Google Reader is for the chop. I used to use Google Reader a few months back but stopped using it when they originally announced the shut down of iGoogle. It's a shame because it seemed like a good reader. I moved over to using Netvibes.com as an alternative homepage to iGoogle and used its RSS modules in place of Google Reader. Anyone else still using it at the moment?

#2 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

Of course, right after I start using it. I use it to keep track of some pretty cool music download blogs.

#3 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2245 posts) -

I've been using it every single day for the last 4 or so years. This fucking sucks.

#4 Edited by Bubbly (253 posts) -

Still using it here. This sucks ass. Google Reader is extremely convenient and does exactly what I need an RSS reader to do.

#5 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

It was always meant to be.

#6 Edited by project343 (2818 posts) -

I've been using it every single day for the last 4 or so years. This fucking sucks.

Honestly, it's fantastic. Why would they do this?

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (7310 posts) -
Remember when...

#8 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@oscar__explosion said:

Because they're google, they love shutting down their stuff.

#9 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

I actually use it a lot on my PC and my phone.

Maybe they are going to merge it with something else or replace it with a better product.

Or maybe they just like getting people used to convenient stuff & then taking it away from them.

#10 Posted by Slag (4261 posts) -

@oscar__explosion said:

I assume it's because they want people to do everything through Google+.

Very disappointing news in any event.

#11 Edited by djames216 (369 posts) -
#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14777 posts) -

Fucking sucks man I use reader to pull all my Podcast RSS feeds. Its great at a glance I can know exactly what podcasts I need to catch up on. Guess I'll continue to use Reader until June and then find a replacement before it goes down. =(

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3804 posts) -
#14 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

Not cool. Google Reader is one of the two pages that opens up when I start Chrome (the other is Gmail). It's also one the most used apps on my phone. I've checked out the desktop, web and mobile alternatives in the past and none of them are as clean and simple. Also, apparently many of the alternatives use Google's API so they'll be rendered useless as well.

#15 Edited by djames216 (369 posts) -

When opening my Netvibes homepage today, I got a seemingly relevant warning message.

If you're experiencing slowdowns or feed latency, please bear with us as we work to handle a huge amount of new users. Thank you for your patience.

I can't help but wonder if this is users migrating from Google Reader.

#16 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

Yeah, this was terrible news. I check RSS multiple times everyday. Pretty much fills in the gaps that twitter cannot. I know Feedly is attempting to clone the Google Reader API to offer apps like Reeder a seamless backend transition (link.)

@djames216 Do you have any experience with the RSS readers from the articles you linked? Netvibes any good? I'm researching alternatives including Feedly, but their servers have been overloaded with GR refugees and its not a good sign when your site can't handle capacity. I've been mainly looking for a web-based reader since I access RSS on multiple terminals.

#17 Posted by BBAlpert (1444 posts) -

When opening my Netvibes homepage today, I got a seemingly relevant warning message.

If you're experiencing slowdowns or feed latency, please bear with us as we work to handle a huge amount of new users. Thank you for your patience.

I can't help but wonder if this is users migrating from Google Reader.

I would honestly be super surprised if it was anything other than the mass Google Reader exodus. I was looking into Newsblur and their servers seemed to be on fire, too. Although all things considered, having too many users is really one of those "good" kinds of problems to have, like having too much money to fit into your wallet. I think the worst case scenario for services like Netvibes and Newsblur would be if Google Jay Leno'd them by changing their mind at the last minute. "Oh, you just spent all your money tripling your server capacity for all those Reader converts? Good luck with that, Reader's not goin' nowhere"

Though I suppose things ultimately worked out alright for Conan...

#18 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

I use reader multiple time a day as do most people I know. I'm amazed they say this is a declining service. It has to be to promote + more which is still unwieldy with things like this.

#19 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

I'm totally blanking on what google reader is. I'm pretty sure I've used it before though?

#20 Posted by Aegon (5541 posts) -

I've never heard of google reader until the news of its shutdown. What's it for, how many people use it and why haven't I heard of it before?

#21 Edited by SavePoint (100 posts) -

I use Google Reader every day as well, it's the best way to cleanly view all of the blogs I follow in one place (including this here Giant Bomb). Super bummed they are closing it. I imported my feeds into Feedly today and it seems alright so far, but I would still much rather use Reader though.

#23 Edited by djames216 (369 posts) -
@jams said:

I'm totally blanking on what google reader is. I'm pretty sure I've used it before though?

@aegon said:

I've never heard of google reader until the news of its shutdown. What's it for, how many people use it and why haven't I heard of it before?

Google Reader is an RSS reader that can summarise news/info feeds from websites, podcast feeds etc. No idea how many people use it but it seemed fairly popular, although Google state that its use is declining. As for why you haven't heard of it before, I'm guessing you're not into using RSS feeds.

Sorry if this appears twice in the thread (or if it's appearing twice in your inbox). This is the second time I've posted this because the first one simply isn't appearing in this thread even though it shows up in my profile feed, weird.

Edit: OK, the first message has now appeared once this second was posted. I'm now gonna delete the original one from this thread.

#24 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

Remember when...

Your use of this image amused me even though I don't recognise it at the moment. What is the context for that image? Were they at a special event or something? When and where was that?

#25 Posted by LornHg (42 posts) -

Google Reader was an awesome RSS reader. Going through those 200ish news item every day was part of my routine : (.

But the raw info was getting kind of heavy. I'll try just getting what's filtered by my Twitter Timeline now.

#26 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@jams said:

@aegon said:

Google Reader is an RSS reader that can summarise news/info feeds from websites, podcast feeds etc. No idea how many people use it but it seemed fairly popular, although Google state that its use is declining. As for why you haven't heard of it before, I'm guessing you're not into using RSS feeds.

Sorry if this appears twice in the thread (or if it's appearing twice in your inbox). This is the second time I've posted this because the first one simply isn't appearing in this thread even though it shows up in my profile feed, weird.

Edit: OK, the first message has now appeared once this second was posted. I'm now gonna delete the original one from this thread.

Yeah I remember now. I don't really use RSS feeds but I tried before and I think I tried it with reader. I'm old school in that I like to actually go to the different sites one at a time.

#27 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Pulse

#28 Edited by Svenzon (718 posts) -

This sucks. I've been using Google Reader every day since I got my first smartphone.

#29 Posted by Fattony12000 (7310 posts) -

@fattony12000 said:
Remember when...

Your use of this image amused me even though I don't recognise it at the moment. What is the context for that image? Were they at a special event or something? When and where was that?

#30 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I'm so pissed about this. I've used Google Reader every day for the longest time. Every other RSS service is an utter piece of shit. Google is shutting down reader because it's hard to utilize it to make advertising revenue, not because "usage has started to decline".

They should shut down Google+ if they want to shut down a service because of a decline of usage. No one has any need for it. Journalists depend on Reader. People living under dictatorships depend on Reader. I depend on Reader.

I'd just like to reiterate, fuck you Google. This is what "being evil" looks like. Closing down a perfectly good service that's widely used just because you can't sell me ads for Netflix with it. Go and break up the Google Reader team so they can work on shitty products like that $1300 Chromebook that no one wants. I can't wait to delete my fucking account.

#31 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

@djames216 said:

@fattony12000 said:
Remember when...

I'm just as mystified. I live in the U.K. and don't recognise this at all. Care to shed some light?

#32 Posted by Fattony12000 (7310 posts) -

@fattony12000 said:

@djames216 said:

I'm just as mystified. I live in the U.K. and don't recognise this at all. Care to shed some light?

As do I.

As do I.

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@djames216 said:

@fattony12000 said:

@djames216 said:

As do I.

As do I.

http://html5-demos.appspot.com/static/webcomponents/images/animated/shock.gif

Oh gawd, why would you post that?! You couldn't just tell him it was a famous US theme park??

*dies*

#34 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

For any one interested, I've been looking at alternatives before Reader is officially sunset. The best (most like GR) seems to be The Old Reader. (link)

The interface is very reminiscent of the old Google reader (before the redesign) hence the name, duh.

It seems like a small dev team and looking at their blog they are slammed with refugees importing their feeds, but the service is easy to sign up for and features nice. I hope the influx of users allows them to expand.

#35 Edited by groin (846 posts) -

I've been trying out Netvibes as an alternative to the Google reader. The interface is decent once you turn off all the web 2.0 stuff.