Got Fired Today

• 48 results
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I was a seasonal temp, so duh. I feel shitty, but that's to be expected.

What's your sob story? (Extra Credit: How'd you get over it, how'd the transition to the new job go?)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seasonal temp being fired is kind of meaningless unless you're about to die of starvation or something. Never been fired though I did get in a pretty good argument with a boss, but I was so far ahead on the argument that it would've been hard to fire me. I've had a boss that really likes firing people before but managed to not get fired in that circumstance through whatever streak of fortune/intentional stealthiness.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gladiator_Games

I got fired from a nice cushy insurance job. My girlfriend of six years broke up with me the day after when her parents offered her a car to do it.

Just time duder, just time.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

what do you mean you were a seasonal temp? So it was expected that you would lose your job at this point or am i misunderstanding? If so, I wouldn't call that being fired.

I felt I was going to be fired from one of my teenager crappy jobs working a video store. I took a big late fee off of a guy's account because he said he was a soldier that had just come back home from overseas. So whatever... I'm doing a guy a good deed, sure he could of been lying. But I quit the following week because I disliked the boss anyway and I didn't really need the job anymore.

So... not really a sob story.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

@handlas said:

what do you mean you were a seasonal temp? So it was expected that you would lose your job at this point or am i misunderstanding? If so, I wouldn't call that being fired.

I felt I was going to be fired from one of my teenager crappy jobs working a video store. I took a big late fee off of a guy's account because he said he was a soldier that had just come back home from overseas. So whatever... I'm doing a guy a good deed, sure he could of been lying. But I quit the following week because I disliked the boss anyway and I didn't really need the job anymore.

Technically I was hired in September, so I had assumed I had a tad more leeway than the duders hired on Dec 1. We're all hired through a temp company with the implication of permanence after an evaluatory period. It's not as gross as it sounds; based on other people's experience, it's pretty accurate and fair.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I got fired from a nice cushy insurance job. My girlfriend of six years broke up with me the day after when her parents offered her a car to do it.

Wow, what the fuck? That's screwed, duder. I'm so sorry.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladiator_games said:

Wow, what the fuck? That's screwed, duder. I'm so sorry.

Yeah. That's really fucked up. Idk what I'd do in your position

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch3burashka

Bittersweet comfort, but if she was willing to give your relationship of 6 years up for a car, probably not the one.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By beforet

I wasn't fired so much as I wasn't hired again for the summer. Seasonal temp, what are you gonna do? What really burned was that I was with the fuckers for 5 years since I was 14, and I had just been promoted to supervisor. Well, Sandy hit, and the manager who liked me was also fired. The one who didn't stuck around, and made sure both me and my brother would not be allowed back. I want to say fuck em, but it was a $12/hour gig at 42 hour weeks, which was pretty frakking sweet for someone just in college. Last summer job I worked at was minimum wage at half the hours. I know you take what you can get in this economy, but man if every pay check didn't burn just a bit.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ch3burashka said:

@gladiator_games said:

Bittersweet comfort, but if she was willing to give your relationship of 6 years up for a car, probably not the one.

Yeah. Just try to be happy that you're not dating an apparently horrible person with an apparently horrible family anymore.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish i was a kid with a cruddy job i could just quit and be like "whatevs"

now i'm an adult with a somewhat cruddy job that i kinda desperately need. :)

oh well things at least have looked up from a couple years ago where i was pretty close to being fired. i actually like the fact that i have my own cubicle and get to sit most of the day (if i so choose)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Evilsbane

@ch3burashka said:

@gladiator_games said:

Yeah. Just try to be happy that you're not dating an apparently horrible person with an apparently horrible family anymore.

Just...fuck me.. damn man. Also who throws away 6 years for a fucking car? And what Sick family makes that offer in the first place?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@evilsbane said:

@hunter5024 said:

@ch3burashka said:

@gladiator_games said:

Just...fuck me.. damn man. Also who throws away 6 years for a fucking car? And what Sick family makes that offer in the first place?

Not a sick family; just one that apparently really hates the OP. As far as throwing away a long-term relationship for a car, either the chick was really shallow or there's something not being said. Either way, condolences.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilsbane said:

@hunter5024 said:

@ch3burashka said:

@gladiator_games said:

Not a sick family; just one that apparently really hates the OP. As far as throwing away a long-term relationship for a car, either the chick was really shallow or there's something not being said. Either way, condolences.

I'd say that's pretty sick. It sounds like something that would happen in a movie, and be somewhat commonplace, but in the real world that's a pretty awful thing to even offer. If their family REALLY disliked the OP I get it, but dangling a carrot in front of their daughter to bail on him is not a healthy response.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like we could be friends

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Sorry to hear that. Life has a funny way of closing one door only to open one that you never expected (at least that's what I think) so keep your head up. Things will work themselves out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So my sob story was I had a nice Styrofoam cup of pho soup I bought to go for one of those chilly evenings. As I was walking home from the restaurant I guess it was cold I couldn't feel my hands and I dropped the bag bursting the cup with it spilling everywhere on the ground. It was one of those moments where you just tear up for no reason, fuck 2013.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long has it been? Because as rough as it is, sometimes these sorts of stories are funny in retrospect.

I'm not going to get super heavy here or anything, I bottle up the real dark stuff anyway. But here's something that's kind of hilarious. I went out on a date with this girl. She was cool and we had a really nice time. I mean, we were drinking Scotch at, like, noon, so she's cool in my book. The date ended and I met a friend. I was probably gushing about how I had a good time and that "I actually like this one!" She ended up calling me later the very same day to see what I was up to. We ended up going out to a bar with a group of my friends. Things were kind of awkward at that point. I mean, I guess that's to be expected when introducing people so quickly. At one point I noticed she was spending a lot of time talking to another lady in the group. No big deal, I would want my friends to like somebody I'm seeing anyway. But she was kind of avoiding anybody else and they were kind of keeping to themselves. After a bit I asked her if she wanted to take off, and as we were walking out of the bar she - and I shit you not - came out of the closet to me. "I, uh, I think I'm gay." Now I would normally assume, "oh, she just doesn't like me and this is her excuse, whatever." But at one point during that night she actually slipped the other girl her number. I mean shit. At least wait until we're not on a date before you go giving your number out to people I know. I didn't really know how to react to that so I awkwardly hugged her and said "congrats" before going our separate ways. The kicker was that it was so late by that point I had missed the last bus and I had a two hour walk home from the opposite side of town.

But now I get to tell the story and people laugh, and I'm kind of glad it happened. It's sounds like some bullshit from a TV show, but it's totally true.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

While visiting a friend in Florida, who was on the run from the cops in Ohio, we were partying at some dive bar called The Sea Witch where he was approached by some woman who offered her sweet Buick hatchback if he would kill her husband. He of course asked us if this was a good deal. I really do miss those friends....sometimes.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

On the plus side, you can now start a music career writing country songs with stories like that to tell.

I'm currently out on a month sick leave from my terrible job at a call center that is about to end in a week or two. I don't think I can stand going back though. So if my doctor can't extend my stress leave any I think I'm going to be without a job to ring in the new year.

Also, i'm 13 years and a steady job shy of being this guy, so there's that too.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@gladiator_games: I hope you did the right thing and smashed in the windshield of that car and took a shit in it. Cause god damn that is just awful.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By UitDeToekomst

this thread is veering sharply toward Giant Bomb Xtreme Girl Advice Line territory. as an attempt to get away from that sad space, I whole-heartedly support the voice of those being skeptical toward that one dude's clearly one-sided car story, and will instead proclaim the OP's apparently unexpected sacking as being unfortunate (but obviously not entirely unexpected).

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Example1013

did they actually tell you your time was up or did you just not show up on the schedule? kohl's never actually told me when my contract ran out last year. not that i expected to be hired long-term because i did fuck-all to actually make myself an asset to the company (basically learning register and getting credit, every employee of kohl's has a credit quota even if you don't know how to work a cash register), but it would've at least been nice to know when it was up so i didn't have to drive to work and check the schedule only to not see anything there.

edit: oh yeah no real sob story, the job was actually pretty ok at kohl's, you'd think you'd run into a lot of maniacs and assholes during the holiday season but i never had anyone leave the store pissed off at me (although maybe i was just really good at my job, who knows), i actively made no effort to try and continue at the company because i think badgering people to sign up for credit cards is scummy, and now i work at BJs instead, and the club im at is basically heaven as far as retail jobs go.

what did you actually do for a job anyways?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my (Rather long) sob story about how I got and lost my first job:

At the tail end of High School, for my mandatory work experience credit I was sent to work at a somewhat shady Drafting and Design company. The career counselor suggested I go they're for my work experience after noticing my 100% course completion in all years of my high school drafting/design courses and my Art class grades being just as high. Three days into my work experience program the owner of the company pulled me outside and told me the man he hired to come down and fill a position went missing recently and he needed a new employee immediately. I was hired to oversee the designing, planning and safety inspection of a hospital being built near my school. I excelled at my job, I had all the work that was handed to me done almost as it hit my desk. Though this came at a price, having to work at night right after going to school took it out of me and my school grades dropped tremendously. I struggled through it all and managed to graduate, since my job was still secure and paying well after graduation going to college never entered my mind.

A few months after that the owner of the company pulled me aside like the time he hired me told me I was fired and to be out of the office within the next 15 minutes or he would have the cops throw me out. I grabbed my stuff, waved goodbye to the secretary and told his daughter (Who also worked they're on the night shift) that I just got fired and needed to be out before the cops came. She helped me grab my stuff and I was standing on the street corner 15 minutes later, jobless, alone, and a long way from home.

But it doesn't end there... to this day, nearly 10 years later that bastard will still call up whoever I work for and try to get me fired, or shoot down any job opportunity I investigate. He has a personal vendetta against me FOR NOTHING. Years afterwards I found out his reason though: Right before he fired me he purchased two laptops, for the business of course, that were stored in the server room. They went missing the day after he told me. He fired me because he believed I had stolen them, since I was the only person he told about they're existence. After I learned this information I went and checked on my former co-workers. All of them had been fired, one at a time days apart from each other, as he went nuts and destroyed his own business and started another design firm in the neighboring city. Then we uncovered the truth: He fired all his employee's and faked a break-in / robbery to get the money he needed to start a new business.

I still hold a size able grudge against him for what he did to me and the rest of his employee's.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a seasonal temp, so duh. I feel shitty, but that's to be expected.

What's your sob story? (Extra Credit: How'd you get over it, how'd the transition to the new job go?)

I was hired on the 21st of October this year, I lost my job come the 24th. Why? cos I had one panic attack, first in my life. I was expected to work from October till I was fired for Incompetance, I left, cut backs or the shop got shut down.

So I felt shitty for a week and now I just keep throwing my CV back at them, cos its a diff manager who fired me. While the one that hired me still likes me.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got fired from my first job as a salad chef about a month after I was hired because I forgot to look at the schedule twice. I hated that job so there were no hard feelings, I even told them I'd do the exact same in their position and that I didn't blame them. A month or so later I got a much better job writing for a magazine, so it worked out pretty well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

What kind of car was it? I mean,, you gotta have standards.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

@ch3burashka: My employer cut my salary by a third so that I would quit and they wouldn't have to pay unemployment (a few years ago.) Bright side: I realized that job was making me miserable anyway, and managed to get myself hired on in a position where I love what I do. But it still sucked.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TyCobb

@handlas said:

Technically I was hired in September, so I had assumed I had a tad more leeway than the duders hired on Dec 1. We're all hired through a temp company with the implication of permanence after an evaluatory period. It's not as gross as it sounds; based on other people's experience, it's pretty accurate and fair.

Eh, you came from a temp agency. The temp agency will always give that false hope and the fact it was seasonal meant there was no way you were going to be able to stay on. If you were making $10/hour, the company you were temping at was probably paying $16+/hour. Why? The company has to cover the full cost of your employment. That includes the payroll taxes you never knew existed for employers and the fee to the temp agency. There are also stipulations that company has to adhere to if they decide to hire you on permanently. Mainly this revolves around some x% of your salary as a finders fee. I am assuming temp agencies don't actually let this be known to the workers.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By big_jon

I got fired from a good paying job because the guy who was supposed to train me won 36 million dollars. I lost my apartment, and two months later got diagnosed with crohns disease, I went from 210 pounds to 185 pounds in a matter of weeks, lost a bunch of my muscle mass.

Life has been solid for the last year, shit happens.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked at McDonald's for 2 and a half years as a grill cook. One day I requested a month off because I was getting a lip-ring to impress all those scene girls I'm so fond of and I was told you weren't suppose to take those things out for a month. About three weeks in I went to McDonalds and looked at the schedule and I wasn't there. Week later I checked again, still wasn't there. Turns out they fired me and didn't even tell me. I could have got my job back if I talked to the main manager Bob, but I hated working there. Now I work at a bowling alley making alot more money at $9/hr.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was working as a janitor back in 2002. My bosses were sub-human idiots who lived off coffee and cigarettes and were only bosses because they'd stuck with such a shitty job for so long. I'm normally a pretty quiet, unassuming guy. One day I just couldn't take it anymore. A few months in, they got mad at me over some dumb shit that was someone else's fault (likely one of them) and I fucking snapped, started screaming about how they were idiots and smashed the shit out of a wet floor sign against the wall while the moron directly in charge of us ineffectually tried to tell me to get out, which I eventually did. When I went in for my final paycheck a week later, the upper management completely understood that the job was shit and the people were morons and was actually sympathetic and despite threats by lower management, they didn't even charge me for the destroyed wet floor sign.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i once dropped a 2$ ice cream cone on the floor...MY LIFE IS PAAAIN!!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was this one time I had an interview for a pretty great job, then didn't get it.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My first job at Wal-Mart was decently good. Until I got fired for cursing on the sales floor. ...................

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By TheHT

There was this one time I had an interview for a pretty great job, then didn't get it.

Those fuckers!

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the tail end of High School, for my mandatory work experience credit I was sent to work at a somewhat shady Drafting and Design company. The career counselor suggested I go they're for my work experience after noticing my 100% course completion in all years of my high school drafting/design courses and my Art class grades being just as high. Three days into my work experience program the owner of the company pulled me outside and told me the man he hired to come down and fill a position went missing recently and he needed a new employee immediately. I was hired to oversee the designing, planning and safety inspection of a hospital being built near my school. I excelled at my job, I had all the work that was handed to me done almost as it hit my desk. Though this came at a price, having to work at night right after going to school took it out of me and my school grades dropped tremendously. I struggled through it all and managed to graduate, since my job was still secure and paying well after graduation going to college never entered my mind.

A few months after that the owner of the company pulled me aside like the time he hired me told me I was fired and to be out of the office within the next 15 minutes or he would have the cops throw me out. I grabbed my stuff, waved goodbye to the secretary and told his daughter (Who also worked they're on the night shift) that I just got fired and needed to be out before the cops came. She helped me grab my stuff and I was standing on the street corner 15 minutes later, jobless, alone, and a long way from home.

But it doesn't end there... to this day, nearly 10 years later that bastard will still call up whoever I work for and try to get me fired, or shoot down any job opportunity I investigate. He has a personal vendetta against me FOR NOTHING. Years afterwards I found out his reason though: Right before he fired me he purchased two laptops, for the business of course, that were stored in the server room. They went missing the day after he told me. He fired me because he believed I had stolen them, since I was the only person he told about they're existence. After I learned this information I went and checked on my former co-workers. All of them had been fired, one at a time days apart from each other, as he went nuts and destroyed his own business and started another design firm in the neighboring city. Then we uncovered the truth: He fired all his employee's and faked a break-in / robbery to get the money he needed to start a new business.

I still hold a size able grudge against him for what he did to me and the rest of his employee's.

Snitch on him

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked at a temp service aswell. I went into more detail about it here.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/falserelic/blog/so-i-finally-got-my-first-job/103417/

I got relieved of that job, and not to long after I got into Meijer. I go into more detail about it here.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/falserelic/blog/so-i-m-kinda-nervous-about-my-new-job/103555/

For most part things have been going good for me, but I did do something that could have gotten me fired at Meijer. Luckly my supervisor forgave me. After reading some of these comment I'm going to be more cautious for now on.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I don't have a degree in anything, they put in... the direct translation is "Test time" basically, they give you a work space and see how well you perform, if you perform good and if the company has a free space, they'll hire you. It's a good deal, until the day I scouted the place for the first time.

It's a fucking place for mentally challenged people. There were some other normal people there so I connected with them, they all felt the same. Even my father said I was wrongly placed there.
temp or not, I would rather have had your job than I had.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The day I got fired was the day I saw that Ryan Davis had died, but I hated the job so it was originally going to be a great day till I heard that news!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first job at Wal-Mart was decently good. Until I got fired for cursing on the sales floor. ...................

that was the proper thing to do when at any walmart under any circumstances.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: Lol that story is so good. I wish I had stories like those. My life is so boring. anyway I have never been fired from any job but I came close a couple times. For 5 years I worked at a target it was great at first. as the years passed I slowly started to hate it. before this I used work construction as long you got your job done and did a good job then everything was alright the only problem was it's hard work. there wasn't alot bullshit to deal with. so going from a place where you could cuss and not have to deal with dumb people all day long took some adjusting. As the years went by all the managers that like me went to different stores or quit. the new ones where either impartial torwards me or straight up didn't like me. working at retail also makes you truly hate the holidays with a passion. so after years of working at this target I started not to care about my job so much.Hell everyone I worked with slacked off so why not me. Well managment took notice started to try get to quit cut my hours back, gave me "coachings" which is targets dumb way of saying they giving verbal warnings. anyway I finally had enough and quit. however I didn't just turn in my 2 weeks notice I just stopped showing up. ah the frantic phone calls from the managers where great. I was like well you wanted me to quit now that I did you guys want me back? I gave that job the middle finger and found a new one in security.

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Phyrlord

How the hell does he know where you work? you he post that shit publicly all over your FB or something?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck. That's rough, what a bitch. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree though it seems.
What a dick move by the parents aswell, to offer someone a car in exchange for them to forget someone you love.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a job in a new town, got a heat stroke on the first week, moved in a new appartment on the third ( I stayed in a workers hotel the first two), got fired on the fourth.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate my life.