• 52 results
#1 Posted by RankRabbit (399 posts) -

Yesterday I was browsing in a Gamestop on my break and overheard a conversation between a customer and the guy working there. Usually the conversations I hear in the Gamestop are particularly stupid (ex. selling a refurbished 360 to an unsuspecting mother when the slim is available) but on this day I got a look at one of their many other selling techniques. The discussion was about the new Medal of Honor game and the guy working there was pushing a pre-order on the customer. He was telling this customer that the guys who made Modern Warfare 2 left Infinity Ward to make this new Medal of Honor game. Now I understand they used to make Medal of Honor games but I'm pretty sure that's not what they are doing now, I think they are starting their own studio, Respawn Entertainment or something... Gotta love the selling techniques being utilized here, maybe they'll start selling that battletoads game everyone is waiting for next. Kewl stori rite?

#2 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

No, it's not a cool story.

We should not be accepting this.

#3 Posted by AjayRaz (12692 posts) -

oh gamestop 

#4 Posted by tunaburn (2016 posts) -

i do not get all the hate for gamestop. I buy all my games from there. I buy used and then if i hate the game i return it and they give me all my money back. The guys that work at the 3 different stores i go to are really nice and theres even a hot chick working at one of them. and yes, shes nice too.

#5 Posted by Supermarius (1223 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
" i do not get all the hate for gamestop. I buy all my games from there. I buy used and then if i hate the game i return it and they give me all my money back. The guys that work at the 3 different stores i go to are really nice and theres even a hot chick working at one of them. and yes, shes nice too. "
most gamestops are fine. People on the internet just love to bitch.
#6 Posted by RankRabbit (399 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" @tunaburn said:
" i do not get all the hate for gamestop. I buy all my games from there. I buy used and then if i hate the game i return it and they give me all my money back. The guys that work at the 3 different stores i go to are really nice and theres even a hot chick working at one of them. and yes, shes nice too. "
most gamestops are fine. People on the internet just love to bitch. "
Sure there's about 6 around here where I live, but sometimes the people working there are just clueless or lost. I usually buy from them if there is a cool pre-order bonus or if they are having a buy 2 get 1 free used sale. Telling people something stupid like what I described previously though is not okay.
#7 Posted by mordecaix7 (726 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" @tunaburn said:
I agree.  I've only had a problem with one gamestop out of 8 in my area.  I had on my christmas list Shenmue 2 for Xbox.  My fiancée is a gamer herself so she knew what she was looking for.  She went into this gamestop and instead of browsing the humongous PS2 $9.99 rack, she decided to ask the guy working if they had a copy.  He proceeded to berate her that they never made that game for Xbox.  He wouldn't even look it up because he was so convinced she was stupid.  I really wanted to make an ass of that guy but she wouldn't tell me what store it happened at because she knew I'd raise a ruckus.  I only found what store it was two months ago, since now it would be useless to do anything about it.  So I've just resolved not to shop at that particular store.

Otherwise, I've had nothing but the nicest people when I visit any other Gamestop.
#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14756 posts) -
@Supermarius said:

" @tunaburn said:

A lot of it is just the dirty mechanic idea of doing business. Like if a woman or someone they think doesn't know a thing about cars comes into there store then they will make up problems to charge you more for it, but if they see a man come in, or some one with A NASCAR shirt/hat on, then they are less likely to try to do it because they know you will call them on it and they my lose business. Same thing with EB Games. If they see some mother wanting to buy that game with the thing that does the whats it, then the guys at the counter are taught to tell them what ever they need to to get the most out of them- just like in the OP's example. Maybe I just have a White Knight complex, but if I saw what the OP did I could not stop myself from putting that liar on the spot and calling him out. Then again maybe the guy just doesn't know better and honestly believed it.

All I know is that they only tried to do that to me once at my local EB Games, and when I called them on there lie they just shut up and let me leave. They tested the waters with me and they knew that I could not be fooled so they don't even try with me anymore because they know I won't fall for it. At least back when I was there regularly. I haven't been there in years so if I went in they would no doubt try it on me again as they probably wouldn't remember me.
#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6730 posts) -

We should all pick one GameStop and keep calling asking for Battle Toads for the 360. It is the only way to fight back!

#10 Posted by KingdomKey (23 posts) -

It all depends on where you live and who works their. In the OP's case, that Gamestop would be classified as" A place I wouldn't even wanna die in." My Gamestop on the other hand has cool people that KNOW WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT!

#11 Posted by bcc (88 posts) -

Who fucking cares. The dude just didn't know what he was talking about. I seriously doubt he had some kind of malicious intent in telling her that.

#12 Posted by Motherfucker (104 posts) -

MOAR LIEK GAYSTP LOLOLOLOLOL

Just kidding,i never been to one of them GS's :)

#13 Posted by DrPockets000 (2875 posts) -

What?  A thread complaining about GameStop?  We don't have ANY of these!!!

#14 Posted by RankRabbit (399 posts) -
@DrPockets000 said:
" What?  A thread complaining about GameStop?  We don't have ANY of these!!! "
Next time I will be sure to consult you before posting.
#15 Posted by DrPockets000 (2875 posts) -
@RankRabbit said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Next time I will be sure to consult you before posting. "
Or you could just, you know, not complain.
#16 Posted by Animasta (14827 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" No, it's not a cool story.  We should not be accepting this. "
what? people having misinformed opinions? You have to stop a hell of a lot of people, then.
#17 Edited by KingdomKey (23 posts) -
@bcc said:

" Who fucking cares. The dude just didn't know what he was talking about. I seriously doubt he had some kind of malicious intent in telling her that. "

@RankRabbit said:

" Yesterday I was browsing in a Gamestop on my break and overheard a conversation between a customer and the guy working there. Usually the conversations I hear in the Gamestop are particularly stupid (ex. selling a refurbished 360 to an unsuspecting mother when the slim is available) but on this day I got a look at one of their many other selling techniques. The discussion was about the new Medal of Honor game and the guy working there was pushing a pre-order on the customer. He was telling this customer that the guys who made Modern Warfare 2 left Infinity Ward to make this new Medal of Honor game. Now I understand they used to make Medal of Honor games but I'm pretty sure that's not what they are doing now, I think they are starting their own studio, Respawn Entertainment or something... Gotta love the selling techniques being utilized here, maybe they'll start selling that battletoads game everyone is waiting for next. Kewl stori rite? "

If that isnt  "malicious intent" i dont know what is...not everyone is as up-to-date on games as we are. That person got the short end of the stick forreal. And if he/she opened it they cant return it.

@RankRabbit said:
" @DrPockets000 said:

LOL
#18 Posted by RaceKickfist (222 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" We should all pick one GameStop and keep calling asking for Battle Toads for the 360. It is the only way to fight back! "
this is a GREAT idea! :D
#19 Edited by Cretaceous_Bob (541 posts) -
@bcc said:

" Who fucking cares. The dude just didn't know what he was talking about. I seriously doubt he had some kind of malicious intent in telling her that. "

That's not just not knowing something. Do you know what that sounds like? Silence. Or "I don't know". But not knowing something and making shit up instead is as bad a practice as intentionally disseminating wrong information.    

@Supermarius said: 

@tunaburn said: 

While people on the internet do indeed like to bitch, most Gamestops are not fine. There's quite clearly corporation wide practices that result in hiring irritating, stupid, ignorant employees who have managers breathing down their necks to harass me about preordering.  

@tunaburn
said:

There's like 5 that I've been to regularly around here and every single one has carbon copy retards who reliably give me the wrong goddamn game when I buy something used while they press me to preorder something. They're so insistent that I've had one GS employee try to tell me that I should preorder a game from his GS instead of the GS down the street because that one got robbed at gun point a few days ago and why would I want to go there.  

The nice GS employees are the ones who fall through the corporate cracks, not the norm.
#20 Posted by Rockdalf (1328 posts) -
@RankRabbit said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Zing! 

I don't have a problem with a particular Gamestop, but I do support Amazon and Hastings anymore, cause I'm tired of how much Gamestop gives back on your trade-ins.  It's also highly discouraging to here the person behind the counter spout out crap proving they obviously don't know what they're talking about.
#21 Posted by Marcsman (3381 posts) -

Fuck Gamestop

#22 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
It's only natural that the horror-stories end up on the internet, while the normal trips aren't talked much about because, let's face it, there's not a lot to say about it.
#23 Posted by bcc (88 posts) -
@Cretaceous_Bob said:

That's not just not knowing something. Do you know what that sounds like? Silence. Or "I don't know". But not knowing something and making shit up instead is as bad a practice as intentionally disseminating wrong information.  

You seriously don't understand how maybe the dude just got his information mixed up and honestly believed that what he was saying was true? 
#24 Posted by DrPockets000 (2875 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
" @RankRabbit said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Zing!  I don't have a problem with a particular Gamestop, but I do support Amazon and Hastings anymore, cause I'm tired of how much Gamestop gives back on your trade-ins.  It's also highly discouraging to here the person behind the counter spout out crap proving they obviously don't know what they're talking about. "
We appreciate your business.
#25 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (541 posts) -
@bcc said:
" @Cretaceous_Bob said:

You seriously don't understand how maybe the dude just got his information mixed up and honestly believed that what he was saying was true?  "
Stupidity breeds falsehood more than malevolence. If he honestly believed what he was saying, that means he was stupid. Which is as bad a practice as intentionally disseminating wrong information.  

Do you know how often I say shit that is completely fucking wrong? Never. I don't say anything as fact unless I know it to be.  

Saying something wrong requires doing something wrong. You seriously don't understand that?
#26 Posted by Supermarius (1223 posts) -

I think the number of responses to my comment confirm that indeed people do just like to bitch.  Almost all the stories you hear now about GS that are negative are about a specific employee at a specific store. Well gamestop hires people who are in their teens or early 20's.  I dont think people most people actually have a problem with gamestop, they have a problem with teenagers who are assholes.  That's understandable, but a bad employee should not realistically hurt your opinion of the company itself. If you let every bad experience with a teenage employee in an entry level job upset you that much, you'd pretty much have to never go to a fast food joint or a grocery store, or a department store, etc.  If you have a bad customer service experience at GS, why don't you just complain. Those employees are put under alot of pressure, you can probably get the bad apple fired or his hours reduced pretty easily.

#27 Posted by bcc (88 posts) -
@Cretaceous_Bob said:
" @bcc said:
" @Cretaceous_Bob said:

You seriously don't understand how maybe the dude just got his information mixed up and honestly believed that what he was saying was true?  "
Stupidity breeds falsehood more than malevolence. If he honestly believed what he was saying, that means he was stupid. Which is as bad a practice as intentionally disseminating wrong information.   Do you know how often I say shit that is completely fucking wrong? Never. I don't say anything as fact unless I know it to be.   Saying something wrong requires doing something wrong. You seriously don't understand that? "
Holy shit, you're taking this WAY too seriously. Having your facts out of order doesn't make you "stupid," and no sane person would automatically classify a human being as "stupid" because he or she said something incorrect. Not everyone is a righteous crusader for the truth like you. Especially about something like "which dev team is working on a certain video game." 

I worked at Gamestop a few years ago and it's a high-pressure job. Any customer-facing job is like that and it's easy to make mistakes. I'm sure I said some incorrect things to customers but even when I made mistakes that were later realized, nobody called me "stupid" and accused me of "disseminating wrong information." That's because normal human beings understand that other normal human beings make mistakes. Seriously, there are better things to be angry about. Be angry about the fact that the guy behind the counter is making minimum wage that doesn't account for the inflation of the past 30 years or that his job doesn't even offer health insurance.
#28 Posted by angelfan91 (916 posts) -

I love gamestop.  You just have to find a good store.  I don't get the hate for the pre-orders, it's a business, they're trying to make money.  I have two stores near me, and one of them is great, one is horrible.  So I don't go to the horrible one anymore.
#29 Posted by Milkman (18092 posts) -

I don't think that guy was trying to lie to the customer. I think he's just an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (16532 posts) -

I've never been in a really bad EB or Gamestop. But these stories are always fun to hear.

#31 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6500 posts) -
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Gamestop sucks and Justin Bieber is the root of all evil and Glee is causing the youth of America to turn gay. On to the next one, please.
#32 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Willy105 said:
" No, it's not a cool story.  We should not be accepting this. "
what? people having misinformed opinions? You have to stop a hell of a lot of people, then. "
If Fox News can do it, so can we.
#33 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6421 posts) -
@Marcsman said:
" Fuck Gamestop "
I like this idea.
#34 Posted by 71Ranchero (3240 posts) -

Oh, another Gamestop thread. 

#35 Posted by Damien (1378 posts) -

What if the person was just ignorant or "clueless" like you say?

#36 Posted by BunkerBuster (1054 posts) -

The worst part of this story, the real machine that is Gamestop is that it will then accept the game back when the kid trades it in and make money both times.

#37 Posted by Apathylad (3234 posts) -

I've had both good and bad experiences at Gamestop. Some employees have been tools with me, such as when I'd ask if a case and manual is available for a used game, and they give me the smartass response if I was buying the game for the box and the manual, or the game itself. 

#38 Posted by blazerx9x (744 posts) -

The Gamestop I go to is OK, the only problem for me at least is that they don`t like it when I purchase games from there, they give me a bad look.

#39 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

It's a fake. Gamestop employees don't even know anything about MW2 except that it sells.

#40 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (611 posts) -

I am not the biggest fan of GameStop though I usually pre-order my games there due to their exclusive pre-order bonuses and by the occasional used, never new though unless pre-ordered, game there. Just yesterday I picked up Turok for $10 and Halo Wars for $17.99 both discs were in excellent condition and the clerk even removed those annoying stickers on the spines of the game cover art insert. I believe you are directing your disliking ("hate" is a strong word, I do not hate only dislike) in the wrong place, GameStop has nothing to due with what employees do or do not say, it isn't like GameStop tells people to say ignorant and uniformed statements to people.

#41 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (951 posts) -

My Gamestops are awesome. The dudes (and sometimes ladies) are all really nice, and know stuff about games (some of them). They even help brothers out. I once asked if I could take some instructions that I didn't have to complete my collection, and the guy said it was fine. And on the buy two get one free day, another guy told me if I bought anything used last week to go and return it, so I could get it or something else for free.

#42 Posted by sawfish22 (252 posts) -

I hope you corrected that mutha...
#43 Posted by damnboyadvance (4172 posts) -

Some employees are more informed than others.

#44 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

gamestops suck. the one that i go to sucks. it's a pretty bad story if they want someone to preorder something. sometimes if i desperately preorder something from the guy pretty much making me preorder it,  i sometimes go back and cancel the preorder and hope that he isn't there.

#45 Posted by Gamer_152 (14303 posts) -

I don't look at this story as being representative of every Gamestop out there but hell, that is ridiculous business practice.

#46 Posted by habster3 (3618 posts) -

Eh, I go to the store to get games without too much difficulty. However, I decided that I wanted Spider-Man 2, and this douche was trying to get me to pre-order the 3rd one (Which sucked!) I, of course, declined.

#47 Posted by Vinny_Says (5911 posts) -
@DrPockets000 said:
" @RankRabbit said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Or you could just, you know, not complain. "
what would you use an internet forum for then?
#48 Posted by DrPockets000 (2875 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
" @RankRabbit said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Or you could just, you know, not complain. "
what would you use an internet forum for then? "
Touche.
#49 Posted by bartok (2673 posts) -

We should stop Gamestop but where will I buy my copy of NBA Elite take out the NBA Jam code and return the game immediately ?

#50 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6288 posts) -

Particular situation. Don't really give a shit.