Gran Torino Movie review, and MK vs. DC Uni. Impressions

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Edited By giyanks22

Well I bought MK vs. DC Universe, and I really like it. I beat both stories, and this the first fighting game of the year that  I really like. I haven't delved into the Multiplayer yet, because today I spent a few hours beating two or three COD WAW missions on Veteran (A FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS). I plan on getting Fallout 3 tomorrow, and if not then it won't be till next week.

For those of you who give a horses ass about my arm...I'm doing okay. Tomorrow I get the stitches out, and I get to see the scars...(chicks dig scars) ( ashame they're not in more convinent places lol) Thanks for caring about me, and I might post some pics of them tomorrow.

I saw Gran Torino over the weekend and this is what I thought:

The last of the Great American Actors,

*** This comment may contain spoilers **
I love going to the movies, and I sometimes overate movies, just because I had so much fun seeing the movie, but that is not the case this time around.

Gran Torino is just a great movie. Clint Eastwood Delivers...Again as A Director, a Producer, and especially as an actor. The movie is just very...very well done. It was shot in 76 days, and I wouldn't change anything about it for the world.

The story is very basic. Walt Kowalski, a racist, Korean Veteran's wife has just died. He lives in a neighborhood populated by the Huang people from South Eastern Asia. He hates Asians from his Korean War days, so he despises all his neighbors. His children hate him, and just want him to die, so they can get his prize possession, his Gran Torino car. One night a gang pressures Kowalski's Asian next door neighbor, into trying to steal the Gran Torino. Kowalski gets really mad at the kid, but the gang tries to threaten his neighbors, and Kowalski saves them. The neighborhood thinks of Kowalski as a hero, and he begins to develop a relationship with his next door neighbors, which culminates into a very beautiful climax.

The movie has excellent cinematography, and it is just a very conventional movie, everything is by the books. Eastwood is a masterful director who manages to create this gritty yet laid back feeling at the same time. The movie is very emotional, but at times, it can be extremely funny.

Clint Eastwood gives the best performance of 2008 bar none. Better than Will Smith in Seven Pounds. Better than Ed Norton in Pride and Glory. Better than Sean Penn in Milk. Better than Frank Langella in Frost Nixon. Eastwood just portrays this bigoted, racist, hardcore, old school, Korean war veteran, widower in such a masterful way, that you really believe in your head that you've met a thousand of these kind of people, but somehow Eastwood's character separates himself from the others. Eastwood manages to be serious, yet very funny at the same time. One thing that I noticed in the movie is that only two sequences in the entire movie have music. The rest of the movie is just Eastwood's incredible performance keeping you glued to the screen. If there was ever an actor who deserved the Best Actor Academy Award...then it's Clint Eastwood. He's 78 years old, and regardless of his past performances, he has given us the best Performance of any actor for 2008.

This is one of those movies that 10...20 years from now when you see the movie being played on TV you'll go...That was an amazing movie. It's just one of those movies that you don't see any more. You can't miss this movie...Eastwood's best.

HAPPY GAMING!!!

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By giyanks22

Well I bought MK vs. DC Universe, and I really like it. I beat both stories, and this the first fighting game of the year that  I really like. I haven't delved into the Multiplayer yet, because today I spent a few hours beating two or three COD WAW missions on Veteran (A FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS). I plan on getting Fallout 3 tomorrow, and if not then it won't be till next week.

For those of you who give a horses ass about my arm...I'm doing okay. Tomorrow I get the stitches out, and I get to see the scars...(chicks dig scars) ( ashame they're not in more convinent places lol) Thanks for caring about me, and I might post some pics of them tomorrow.

I saw Gran Torino over the weekend and this is what I thought:

The last of the Great American Actors,

*** This comment may contain spoilers **
I love going to the movies, and I sometimes overate movies, just because I had so much fun seeing the movie, but that is not the case this time around.

Gran Torino is just a great movie. Clint Eastwood Delivers...Again as A Director, a Producer, and especially as an actor. The movie is just very...very well done. It was shot in 76 days, and I wouldn't change anything about it for the world.

The story is very basic. Walt Kowalski, a racist, Korean Veteran's wife has just died. He lives in a neighborhood populated by the Huang people from South Eastern Asia. He hates Asians from his Korean War days, so he despises all his neighbors. His children hate him, and just want him to die, so they can get his prize possession, his Gran Torino car. One night a gang pressures Kowalski's Asian next door neighbor, into trying to steal the Gran Torino. Kowalski gets really mad at the kid, but the gang tries to threaten his neighbors, and Kowalski saves them. The neighborhood thinks of Kowalski as a hero, and he begins to develop a relationship with his next door neighbors, which culminates into a very beautiful climax.

The movie has excellent cinematography, and it is just a very conventional movie, everything is by the books. Eastwood is a masterful director who manages to create this gritty yet laid back feeling at the same time. The movie is very emotional, but at times, it can be extremely funny.

Clint Eastwood gives the best performance of 2008 bar none. Better than Will Smith in Seven Pounds. Better than Ed Norton in Pride and Glory. Better than Sean Penn in Milk. Better than Frank Langella in Frost Nixon. Eastwood just portrays this bigoted, racist, hardcore, old school, Korean war veteran, widower in such a masterful way, that you really believe in your head that you've met a thousand of these kind of people, but somehow Eastwood's character separates himself from the others. Eastwood manages to be serious, yet very funny at the same time. One thing that I noticed in the movie is that only two sequences in the entire movie have music. The rest of the movie is just Eastwood's incredible performance keeping you glued to the screen. If there was ever an actor who deserved the Best Actor Academy Award...then it's Clint Eastwood. He's 78 years old, and regardless of his past performances, he has given us the best Performance of any actor for 2008.

This is one of those movies that 10...20 years from now when you see the movie being played on TV you'll go...That was an amazing movie. It's just one of those movies that you don't see any more. You can't miss this movie...Eastwood's best.

HAPPY GAMING!!!

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Gonna see Gran Tarino now!

Your blog has convinced me

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

I want to see Gran Torino really bad. Looks good.  And I love Eastwood so yeah.

Nice to see a non-1up thread up, but the mods locked down on all of them now.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Man, I really wanna check this movie out.  Despite my oddly-creepy man-crush for all things Eastwood (just look at the fact that he's the majority of my DVD collection), it seems like a good kickback to his Dirty Harry days.

And I KNEW that he had to be a widow of a Korean.  I just KNEW it!!!  That confirmation makes me happier with the trailer now.

Thanks for the review, dood.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

gran turino was my favorite movie of the year. 

and there was some huge contenders. many would disagree, but i found this simple movie so good. some of the scenes are just so interesting and fun to watch (spoiler,like when he's chillin in the basement with the kids and theres hip hop music on)

ps Clint deserves the oscar for it, make up for being snubbed for so many years, but he deserves it for this role. imagine anyone else playing this role, it wouldn't work and you know it. 

also i don't consider walt a racist, he just doesn't really like any body so he calls them names 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol eastwoods best though?!?!? like i said i loved it...but come on, he has sooo many great movies you cant just say this is his best. jakob187 said:

"Man, I really wanna check this movie out.  Despite my oddly-creepy man-crush for all things Eastwood (just look at the fact that he's the majority of my DVD collection), it seems like a good kickback to his Dirty Harry days.
And I KNEW that he had to be a widow of a Korean.  I just KNEW it!!!  That confirmation makes me happier with the trailer now.

Thanks for the review, dood.
"
its really not like that though man. he's not like dirty harry really, just because he acts tough though.......widow of a korean...no dude lol, that would be a lame plot line. he's simply a korean war vet, seen some fucke dup shit

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

My brother had two Gran Torinos, when I was young in the 70s. He used to drag race/street the second one, before he blew the motor a couple of times and gave up on the sport. I would very much like to see this movie for many reasons, most of which, you've mentioned above.

I'm glad your shoulder is doing better, take it easy and rehab...

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HelixSnake
jakob187 said:
"Man, I really wanna check this movie out.  Despite my oddly-creepy man-crush for all things Eastwood 
It's cool, dude, we all have those. I'd go gay for Edward Norton in a heart beat. <3
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_destroyer

I may have to check that one out.I see you are looking forward to Defiance,I need to watch that one too.Along with The Unborn............

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By giyanks22

Defiance looks real good. I want to see it badly. I've already made plans for next fri.