#1 Posted by dudeglove (7722 posts) -

So basically most shit from fruit and veg to videogames is ludicrously expensive in Russia and I'm wondering that - when I return to the UK relatively soonish - whether or not it would be more efficient to buy the parts there and bring them back with me to the Motherland in my hand luggage on a flight. Money isn't the issue (and yes I am aware of Geno's excellent thread on building PCs) my problem is whether or not airport security will shit their pants when they see a bunch of random metal-y bits going through the x-ray and hold me back from my flight for some bullshit non-reason.

Therefore my question is, GB, have any of you ever brought a bunch of parts onto a flight in your hand luggage? And was it safe to do so i.e. scanners or changes in air pressure or whatever fucking up hard drives? Or did you have any problems? Any advice is appreciated (well not every piece of advice).

Okay go.

#2 Edited by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -
#3 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Hand luggage may be a bit weird. But they're all going to be in their original packaging and stuff so I'm not sure there would be too many issues. It would be much smarter of you to pack them into your main luggage if possible though.

#4 Posted by dudeglove (7722 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

Hand luggage may be a bit weird. But they're all going to be in their original packaging and stuff so I'm not sure there would be too many issues. It would be much smarter of you to pack them into your main luggage if possible though.

Problem there is it might get tossed around by baggage handlers being a bunch of dicks.

#5 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

If you need to ask it's probably a bad idea. Put it in regular luggage I'd say.

#6 Edited by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

I don't know how it works overseas but I recently (10 months ago-ish) flew from Toronto, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia will a fully built PC as my carry-on without any issues.

Though I imagine security is much more lax on a short domestic Canadian flight than it is on an international one. 

I suggest you call the airports and/or airlines you'll be dealing with and see what they say.

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Could you just ship it to your home address from the UK?

@dudeglove said:

Problem there is it might get tossed around by baggage handlers being a bunch of dicks.

As someone who's worked as a baggage handler, I can confirm that a non-trivial percentage are indeed total dicks.

#8 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -
@Ravenlight

Could you just ship it to your home address from the UK?

@dudeglove said:

As someone who's worked as a baggage handler, I can confirm that a non-trivial percentage are indeed total dicks.

They're no bigger dicks than regular delivery truck drivers. If your parts are all in their packaging and properly packed in your luggage the baggage handlers would have to run over your bag with a plane to actually damage anything.
#9 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

I would be very concerned about the items getting stolen if they were in regular checked luggage. Not to mention most airlines wont cover expensive electronics if they are lost, damaged, stolen etc.