Posted by lokihellfire2008 (9 posts) -

So I shop at Gamestop. I admit it. I only have a small amount of money in my budget to be able to spend on video games so often times I will trade in games I have beaten or gotten sick of and get new ones. Well, new to me at least. Now I know that I am not directly paying the studios who developed those games when I buy a used one, but I am very cognizant of who developed what and if I like one of their games, chances are I will eventually set aside enough money to purchase their newest game full price.

Some examples that come to mind are the Grand Theft Auto games and Saints Row games soon thereafter. One day while browsing Gamestop with some trade in cred, I saw a copy of Vice City for the PS2 and decided to check it out. Boom, hooked. Since then I have bought them when they came out at Best Buy or Walmart and even played GTA4, traded it in, and then when it came out for games on demand, I bought it again! I loved the GTA games so much that when I heard abut Saints Row I had to check it out so I got a used copy of the first one and I loved it.

So anyway, I originally started this so I could write about Forza2. That's right. I have never really been into the whole racing simulator kind of games, preferring Burnout arcade style for fun. It was on one of my Gamestop trips that I had a few extra dollars left over on my card and decided to take a look at the "bargain" bin. Amidst the Perfect Dark Zeros and Kameo games I saw a special two game promotion of Forza2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I figured I would at least like the Marvel game and two games for 8 bucks is a heck of a deal right?! So now I am playing Forza2 just to give it a try, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I haven't even touched the Marvel game yet! On that trip I also picked up Brutal Legend, the Batman Arkham City goty edition, and Dragon Age Origins. All for less than $40!

Again, I know it is better had I bought them outright instead of through Gamestop's evil (as everyone seems to suggest) trade program, but had I not been able to get these older games for cheap, I might never have gotten into those different genres and instead probably would have just stuck to the FPS's as a safe bet. Just a thought.

#1 Edited by sevenLiter (109 posts) -

I recently bought a used motorcycle from a pre-owned dealership and feel absolutely terrible about it, also. Poor Yamaha.

#2 Edited by Sanity (2042 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with buying stuff used, whats even worse is that its becoming a mentality that its "evil", its just what companies want you to think. Personally i dont buy used game because i mostly buy my stuff digitally but its not something to frown upon, in fact i think its worse that its become a stigma, people used to be smart when they shopped cheap. I recently bought a used Eo-Tech for my AR-15, i doubt L-3 Communications gives 2 shits either way weather i bought one new for 430 bucks or used for 350.

#3 Posted by Slag (5364 posts) -

@sanity said:

There's nothing wrong with buying stuff used, whats even worse is that its becoming a mentality that its "evil", its just what companies want you to think. Personally i dont buy used game because i mostly buy my stuff digitally but its not something to frown upon, in fact i think its worse that its become a stigma, peole used to be smart when they shopped cheap. I recently bought a used Eo-Tech for my AR-15, i doubt L-3 Communications gives 2 shits either way weather i bought one new for 430 bucks or used for 350.

well said

#4 Edited by Jams (3043 posts) -

Purchasing games used is not evil. It just promotes bad company practices. It's about being conscious as a consumer about how your money is as much of a vote as it is just being a regular purchase.

It's not as simple as black and white with no in between.

@lokihellfire2008: even played GTA4, traded it in, and then when it came out for games on demand, I bought it again!

That seems like a really dumb thing to do for someone who's hard up for cash. You don't seem to be making smart spending decisions at all because not only are you trading in your games at a loss, you keep doing it. If you buy a game used for $50, trade it in for $20, you've already lost $30. Then you trade that game in for $15 and buy another game that costs $50 (I feel like I'm being generous about trade in value too). It keeps happening and you end up with only 1 game to show for it in the end. At least if you waited until the price of the game lowered and bought it new then, you'd have spent less AND have something to show for it (a collection you could always go back to).

I have a small amount of money in my budget too. Luckily I stopped buying games on the consoles. So I wait a year for a game to drop in price. (just bought Just Cause 2 for $3.00). If I really want a game I'll buy it for $60, but that's really dropped to like 3 games a year thanks to my patients.

#5 Edited by lokihellfire2008 (9 posts) -

@Jams : What do your patients have to do with your game buying decisions?

I should mention that I bought GTA4 used then later on traded it in and when I missed it later I saw it on demand for Xbox and bought it there.

I do have frequent trader remorse when I find myself wanting to play a game I traded in but the way my budgeting works, I buy brand new games only if I know they are for me. It is the 50-60 dollars in one shot that is hard for me to do since my game money is only coming from completely excess cash I manage to save out of my budget. I own my home , two cars and have an infant son. My budget is self-inflicted out of responsibility not lack of funds really. All of my wife's and my own paychecks are budgeted down to the dime and the excess we get after savings etc is what little we didn't spend like out of the groceries or gas for that month.

I do get arcade and indie games often though because I find that I have 10-20 dollars extra and then I hear about FeZ.

#6 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (2030 posts) -

@lokihellfire2008:

There is nothing wrong with buying uses games, but buying them at Gamestop is just a bad idea regardless; they have terrible prices. I assume you are buying these games well after the come out, so you could probably get much better deals on Amazon. Here are some examples chosen at random:

Batman Arkham City - Gamestop used $18.99, Amazon new $18.59

Asura's Wrath - Gamestop used $24.99, Amazon new $17.64

Gears of War 3 - Gamestop used $14.99, Amazon new $14.50

In most cases new games on Amazon are the same price or lower than used games at Gamestop. Getting free shipping on Amazon is about the easiest thing ever, so there really is no reason to buy games at Gamestop. Again, it's not about your duty to the games industry to buy new games, it's more the simple fact that Gamestop is not consumer friendly, and you can get more for your money elsewhere.

Also, before you bring up the fact that you trade in games, let me inform you that you can trade in games for store credit with Amazon as well. It's obviously a bigger hassle (though shipping is free), but what do you know, you get better value. If I remember correctly, the highest Gamestop pays is $30, even for brand new games, yet Amazon is offering $43 trade in credit for Bioshock Infinite at this very moment.

#7 Posted by Darson (466 posts) -

So I shop at Gamestop.

You are a terrible person.

Just kidding, we're all guilty now and then.

#8 Edited by lokihellfire2008 (9 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll:

You are absolutely right about Amazon being cheaper, but usually what happens is I hear a podcast about and they are talking about how much fun they are having playing XYZ game. So I decide that I want to get XYZ game, and I start looking at what games I own and which I actually play still and which I see myself going back to ever. Then I round them up along with whatever excess cash I have for spending and head to the ol' brick and mortar Gamestop to get the XYZ game. Then if I happen to have enough left over and there isn't another game I am dying to have atm, I take a look at what games are in the cheap pile.

Part of it is that old nostalgic feeling of going to a Gamestore and buying a game then playing it as soon as I get home, another part is the chance of discovering some hidden gem in the bargain bin and being surprised by how fun it is like in the case of Earth Defense Force for example. Granted, if I sorted the list of games on Amazon by cheapest, I might still be able to find a cheap gem, but part of me thinks that the people on the internet have a better idea of actual valuable games than those who set the pricing at Gamestop. I got Top Spin 2 for $1.99 at Gamestop and had blisters on my thumbs in no time flat.

Again, I am not saying it is the preferred way to buy games, in fact I am admitting that I trade games and wish I could just go buy every game brand new with no regard to my own financial situation. But I find it hypocritical that the same people who hound Hollywood for being trapped in their old business models and suing for piracy, give a free pass to the game industry for used games. Look, I know they are expensive to make, so I completely understand the 50-60 hell even a higher price point for games that deserve it and that deliver that caliber of content, but I see no reason why the games industry cannot still exist and even thrive in a post trade-in world.

Certainly some have done a good job of this, like having to buy an online pass for games with multiplayer if you get a used copy. I think that is a smart move honestly, because if your game is really good and people buy used then get hooked, they would be willing to shell out some cash for that gameplay experience so at least they can make some money off of the used games. Gamestop is not going away anytime soon, there will always be people who prefer to shop in the mall or who are simply not net savvy enough to be confident shopping for their relatives online.

Gamestop is the gas station convenience store of gaming, it is more expensive, but sometimes I am willing to pay for the convenience of getting my game instantly. Now if the next generation of consoles has a more direct download sort of focus then my buying habits might change drastically. Also I would like to point out again, that I am not complaining about my budget or financial situation, simply offering a perspective on why trading games makes sense for someone.