Guy writing about kindness in America gets shot... in America...

• 51 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117881-Author-Researching-The-Kindness-of-America-Shot-By-Stranger

I... I don't know what to say about this...

First off, he didn't die! Just to make sure everyone knows this. No creepy photos thankfully. Second, the guy was shot in Montana... on behalf of all Montanians. I apologize for this one dickheads dumbassery and assholishness. Third and finally...

IRONY!!!
IRONY!!!

This... is the ironic thing I have heard in my entire life... a guy writing a book called, "The Kindness of America." Gets shot by an American... I know I shouldn't laugh or anything. But since the dude did survive and stuff. I do think that this is funny and I do apologize if I seem like an ass for saying that. But seriously. I hope that guy has an awesome sense of humor to see how ironic this is.

Again, I apologize on behalf of Montanians and of America on this one... Sorry.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Jay444111: You're right in that this is probably among the most ironic occurrences ever! Not really surprised this happened in good ol' America, though. We're full of crazy people here. Some more than others, obviously, like the truck driver who was in an angry enough mood to shoot the random hitchhiker that happened to be researching for his memoir with regards to "The Kindness of America."

At least there was the second driver he was able to flag who was kind enough to call the authorities and to get the guy help and have them capture the person who shot him!

But yeah, I kind of want to read this memoir now just to see how the author is going to write about this!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ThePickle

That book just became way more interesting.

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

People get shot all the time in every single populace in the world.

I don't want to be that guy, but shit happens.

Also... One single person does not represent "America" as an entirety. This assface is not the face of my ass. Comprende?

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DoctorDanger99

it's like raaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiin,on your wedding day!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for him actually, he only got shot in the arm and now his book has a ton of publicity. 

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

Also... One single person does not represent "America" as an entirety. This assface is not the face of my ass. Comprende?

How do you know? Did you see your ass in a while?

But seriously, I think you are absolutely right. One individual or a group of people does not represent an entire nation.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

As a former resident of North Dakota, everyone in that state, and Montana, is seeing first hand the pieces of garbage that fucking Bakken Oil Field is bringing in. My family is even getting paid from it (really old mineral rights) but fuck most of the assholes working there right now. Wiliston is like a fucking cesspool that lifetime residents of North Dakota now avoid as if it were a lepor colony.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jay444111

@MariachiMacabre said:

As a former resident of North Dakota, everyone in that state is seeing first hand the pieces of garbage that fucking Bakken Oil Field is bringing in. My family is even getting paid from it (really old mineral rights) but fuck most of the assholes working there right now.

Yeah. Many Montanians feel the same about most out of staters. Most of them seem insane... Thankfully we really crack down on crime up here. (50% of the police force once went after one guy in a apartment with a machete... they also brought in several US Marshals as well... so yeah, we take crime pretty seriously up here.)

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

How do you know? Did you see your ass in a while?

But seriously, I think you are absolutely right. One individual or a group of people does not represent an entire nation.

Just checked. Call 911.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigdaddy81

@Jay444111: You forgot to mention the name of the victim's website: One Shot Impressions.

Irony indeed.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHumanDove

Maybe he'll drop a new rap album

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Tylea002

I am reminded of this... In America.

And seriously, what is up with books like The Kindness of America. Never got why you guys did that, and like to use the word "American" when you mean "good." It'll come back to bite you in the ass one day. Or shoot you in the arm. Irony works in mysterious ways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Being good in America makes you an NWO/Communist, so I'm not surprised.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By TehFlan

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

What do you mean?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

Research completed! The book is now called "Go Fuck Yourself, America"

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's an unexpected turn of events. I wonder if he is going to write more on the book, and whether this will have an effect on the tone of it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Ben_H  Online

He probably opened the text document for the book, highlighted all the text, hit backspace, then typed "FUCK YOU" then sent it to publishers.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

I think the book will now be changed to "The Kindness of America (if you're not drunk and driving)".

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

That is kind of hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehFlan said:

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

What do you mean?

Eh, it's really hard to explain. Let's just say that when a populace is encased within a nation, their minds are encased as well.

Watch this video, for example. While the information about the Guidestones is very interesting, wait until you get to the part where it talks about the people's reaction from it. We are so damned close-minded in our ways that we consider any form of peace or cooperation as a sin or a facade, and that the inhumanities of the system we have currently are tolerable and normal. I'm one of the few people in this planet that finds it disgusting, and I'm usually called "uneducated" or "weird" because so.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By singular
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah this sorta thing happens all the time, especially when its about other cultures or religions.
I've known writers to say "this religion is hatefull!" and then they get stabbed and killed by a believer of that religion.
That's kinda proving their point.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tylea002

@Tru3_Blu3: It's true. I'm sure my left wing viewpoints would be considered "extreme" over there, when the extend of them is that all utilities should be ran by the government and paid for in taxes, then we get free or cheaper transport, water, telecommunications etc. etc. Britain was pretty good at that until they sold everything but schools and hospitals off in the 80s. God dammit, Thatcher.

I think that was the worst part of the Cold War, and really any war, in that it becomes real us vs them to extremes of anything that isn't us is bad. That seeps into ideology, and we get an extremely narrow political and social field, and baseless accusations fly around when people have say, left winged viewpoints. America isn't perfect, and Russia had some good ideas behind how to run a country. They didn't succeed, but the base of sharing shit among the population isn't a bad idea. Take Health Care: why isn't Health Insurance just a tax and everyone gets free health care? That's (almost) how we do it over in britain, but trying to move towards that in America is met with horrible reactions.

It's a topic I too am quite passionate about, and is actually far more about psychology, and the human mind, than true philosophy or politics.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cyraxible

Coincidences!

Please stop treating irony like this. You're killing her from improper use.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten
@cyraxible said:

Coincidences!

NO! IT'S IRONY! 
Just like rain on your wedding day!  

wait a minute
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I think the concept behind the book is faulty. Unless he was planing to write on customs. Anyway there are assholes and there are good hospitable people in every single country, city and town. Nationality has nothing to do with it. But the story itself, is golden!

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Contrarian

Luckily for me, my time on holiday in Montana, all the way from Australia was nothing but lovely. I spent time in Washington State, Montana, Idaho, California, Oregon, Wyoming and Nevada and without variation, Americans were extremely kind and at times, very generous to us. My personal experience is nothing but great memories. A little luck of the draw I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Justin258
whose work can be seen on his website called - oh dear - One Shot Impressions,

This is golden. Oh, boy, this whole thing is pure gold. Well, iron actually, but it's still 100% gold. Somehow.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By Justin258

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

@TehFlan said:

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

What do you mean?

Eh, it's really hard to explain. Let's just say that when a populace is encased within a nation, their minds are encased as well.

Watch this video, for example. While the information about the Guidestones is very interesting, wait until you get to the part where it talks about the people's reaction from it. We are so damned close-minded in our ways that we consider any form of peace or cooperation as a sin or a facade, and that the inhumanities of the system we have currently are tolerable and normal. I'm one of the few people in this planet that finds it disgusting, and I'm usually called "uneducated" or "weird" because so.

To be fair, people don't like being called a "cancer on the Earth" and even more than that we don't like being told to keep our population under 500,000,000. Neither of those are because of being close-minded; rather, they're natural reactions to being offended.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Ravenlight

@Jay444111 said:

IRONY!!!
IRONY!!!

+1 internets

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Digiwth

lololololwhite america assassinate they own character

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King

Might as well wrap up that title:

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Quarters

This is horrible.

And kind of great.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sooty

This is kind of like that time I said I loved Cheetos and bought a big bag of them, then I vomited most of them up a few hours later.  

But slightly more severe.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By CL60

@ZeForgotten said:

@cyraxible said:

Coincidences!

NO! IT'S IRONY! Just like rain on your wedding day! wait a minute

What an ironic song.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By TheHT

@ThePickle said:

That book just became way more interesting.

Hard to ignore now.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By TheHT

@Tru3_Blu3: This R.C. Christian fellow probably didn't think we'd be able to leave the planet. We can keep popping out babies, and leave room for nature, if we focused on extending our existence as a species onto other worlds.

No need for widespread disease or slaughter, just godly vessels.

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By High_Nunez

I'd like to read this book once it's finished so I can see what he says when he gets to the chapter about getting shot. Should be interesting.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Grillbar

@Jay444111 said:

sourcefed?

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#41  Edited By TerraMantis

The only reason this got any attention is because it can have a 'man bites dog' headline, otherwise no one cares about some guy that gets shot and is okay afterwards. The irony is not lost on me, it's still a stupid story.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Tylea002 said:

@Tru3_Blu3: It's true. I'm sure my left wing viewpoints would be considered "extreme" over there, when the extend of them is that all utilities should be ran by the government and paid for in taxes, then we get free or cheaper transport, water, telecommunications etc. etc. Britain was pretty good at that until they sold everything but schools and hospitals off in the 80s. God dammit, Thatcher.

I think that was the worst part of the Cold War, and really any war, in that it becomes real us vs them to extremes of anything that isn't us is bad. That seeps into ideology, and we get an extremely narrow political and social field, and baseless accusations fly around when people have say, left winged viewpoints. America isn't perfect, and Russia had some good ideas behind how to run a country. They didn't succeed, but the base of sharing shit among the population isn't a bad idea. Take Health Care: why isn't Health Insurance just a tax and everyone gets free health care? That's (almost) how we do it over in britain, but trying to move towards that in America is met with horrible reactions.

It's a topic I too am quite passionate about, and is actually far more about psychology, and the human mind, than true philosophy or politics.

There are legitimate arguments for not having a single payer system in America. The three main arguments that I hear are cost, higher taxes, and quality of care. Also, healthcare can never be free if you paying more taxes to receive it.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tylea002

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Tylea002 said:

There are legitimate arguments for not having a single payer system in America. The three main ones that I hear are cost, higher taxes, and quality of care. Also, healthcare can never be free if you paying more taxes to receive it.

Yes, it shall cost a lot and result in higher taxes, but it's also to ensure that everyone can be kept alive. Which I feel should be a priority. And so long as it's properly funded, the quality of care should be at an acceptable level for everyone, not just those who can afford really awesome health insurance. Obviously, being from Britian, I'm a huge huge huge supporter of the NHS and I legitimately do not get why any country would run on a private healthcare system.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Oldirtybearon

the irony is thick, and the hilarity is massive.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Tylea002: We don't have an exclusively private system in the United States. We have Medicare for the elderly and Medicaid for low-income families. Everyone else either pays for insurance or goes without, which is a problem. I personally feel that both systems can work quite well when properly executed, but I generally oppose single payer systems on a moral level. I don't believe that it's right to force everyone to pay more taxes for health care they may or may not want. I think that having options and being able to choose your care provider is a good thing. The big problem with this is that we have far too much government regulation of health insurance, which drives up it's cost massively. So basically I support either a private system, or a mixed system with private insurance and a simple, voluntary government health care option.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tylea002

@SathingtonWaltz: Ah, I approach it from the complete opposite direction, opposing private health care on a moral level. As soon as anything to do with Healthcare becomes for profit, you ruin the point of the system, that is to say helping others. I grant you that no system is perfect, and taxes aren't choices, but they are important and I'd say in this case totally necessary because giving no one preference in the ability to live is an important human value to me. Though even single payer systems fuck that up slightly, but they're better than the private alternative.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Tylea002: You're never going to not be taken care of though, it's literally law in the US that you cannot be denied health care, even if you can't pay. So it's not like we are just letting people die, the problem is that people without insurance that do get sick become beholden with debt. If we found a way to properly lower the inflated cost of insurance here, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Another problem is that we don't allow private insurers to compete past state lines, which also causes problems further increasing the cost of care. So we have a mostly private system here, we just have it poorly executed. Another thing is the US is so much bigger than most countries that have single payers sytems, and the costs would be staggering. We already spend massive amounts on entitlements as it is, I don't think the US could handle a single payer system financially.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PeasantAbuse
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jay444111

@PeasantAbuse said:

@ddensel said:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/06/hitchhiker-retracts-claim-he-was-victim-of-drive-by-shooting/1#.T9tsZRdrPe4

Dude made the whole thing up.

Yeah, I was thinking this sounded like some sort of publicity stunt. What a fat turd.

Oh, wow. What a asshole...

I think he did this because people may have been to kind and he wanted to stir up the story possibly... but still, this is a huge dick move and this guy not only will never be able to publish a book again. But if he gets shot again, even if he really did get shot by another person. No one will believe him.

Oh, and the guy who got charged with shooting him should sue the shit smeared pants off of this guy.