This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

You would think I'd have gotten over it by now, but honestly it had everything you could ask for from a website that covers movies/tv

Consistently well-written reviews for nearly all the major releases and plenty of indie movies.

A really insightful podcast that updated every week

Thoughtful features that were varied and informative...

Where do you guys go to get your movie coverage? I've heard about the AV Club, should I start frequenting there?

#2 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

I used to visit Spill.com until I got chewed out for sending in a copy of Zardoz to A Couple of Cold Ones alongside a Garth Ennis Punisher book...

Now I basically just go to Grantland. It helps that I basically just wanna see everything that comes out anyway, though.

#3 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I used to visit Spill.com until I got chewed out for sending in a copy of Zardoz to A Couple of Cold Ones alongside a Garth Ennis Punisher book...

Now I basically just go to Grantland. It helps that I basically just wanna see everything that comes out anyway, though.

Wait you got chewed out for sending them stuff? What?

#4 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6309 posts) -

Screened was a good enough site I guess, I just found my tastes rarely if ever agreed with Alex's, Rorie's, or the communities' for that matter.

#5 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@little_socrates: is it just me or does this look like a shot-for-shot remake of pitch black?

i liked that movie. this is a pretty good trailer actually

#6 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I miss screened and the dumb fun version of tested. Now it's "not so much dumb fun, more serious" tested.com and that makes me sad. I don't even know what screened is anymore but I think it still exists in some bastardized form.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I miss screened and the dumb fun version of tested. Now it's "not so much dumb fun, more serious" tested.com and that makes me sad. I don't even know what screened is anymore but I think it still exists in some bastardized form.

Screened is hanging on by a thread and is currently being run by @finaldasa.

#8 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I miss screened and the dumb fun version of tested. Now it's "not so much dumb fun, more serious" tested.com and that makes me sad. I don't even know what screened is anymore but I think it still exists in some bastardized form.

Screened is hanging on by a thread and is currently being run by @finaldasa.

And for the mess he inherited, I'd say he's done a good job. It's sad for me but I can't imagine how Rorie, Alex and FinalDasa must feel. That site really got the short end of the stick with the WM breakup.

#9 Posted by Random45 (1279 posts) -

I used to visit Spill.com until I got chewed out for sending in a copy of Zardoz to A Couple of Cold Ones alongside a Garth Ennis Punisher book...

Now I basically just go to Grantland. It helps that I basically just wanna see everything that comes out anyway, though.

The only reason I bother to go to Spill.com anymore is to listen to their audio reviews. It's sometimes insightful, but I mostly visit just because I like hearing them argue with one another. The reviews where they all unanimously hate the film are also gems.

#10 Posted by wjb (1696 posts) -

I miss a lot of stuff, but the one thing I genuinely miss from Screened is Alex and Matthew discussing the smaller films that I might otherwise not pay attention to. I feel like my indie film viewing has dropped since I don't know what's good unless it's something like Beasts of the Southern Wild that gets several Oscar nominations.

#11 Posted by meaninoflife42 (549 posts) -

I used to visit Spill.com until I got chewed out for sending in a copy of Zardoz to A Couple of Cold Ones alongside a Garth Ennis Punisher book...

Now I basically just go to Grantland. It helps that I basically just wanna see everything that comes out anyway, though.

That's just Korey's sense of humour. He doesn't really mean it.

#12 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

@thedj93: I haven't seen Pitch Black, so I couldn't tell ya.

@meaninoflife42: Most of the time, you'd be right, but he was actually super-offended. The Enis book was for Leon, andthe Zardoz DVD was for Korey. He thought I was giving him a "Nigel" gift, but he got VERY upset and ranted for about twenty minutes. When he finally opened Nigel's gift, he was too exhausted to even be annoyed. I kinda get it; I sent Leon a $20 comic book and Korey a $7 DVD that seemed like garbage. But I fucking love Zardoz, so that was definitely the more personal gift. I've occasionally listened to reviews since, but my motivation to use the site is totally drained.

(cc: @mariachimacabre)

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@thedj93: I haven't seen Pitch Black, so I couldn't tell ya.

@meaninoflife42: Most of the time, you'd be right, but he was actually super-offended. The Enis book was for Leon, andthe Zardoz DVD was for Korey. He thought I was giving him a "Nigel" gift, but he got VERY upset and ranted for about twenty minutes. When he finally opened Nigel's gift, he was too exhausted to even be annoyed. I kinda get it; I sent Leon a $20 comic book and Korey a $7 DVD that seemed like garbage. But I fucking love Zardoz, so that was definitely the more personal gift. I've occasionally listened to reviews since, but my motivation to use the site is totally drained.

(cc: @mariachimacabre)

Going on a rant over not getting a free gift of equal worth? Man, that guy sounds professional.

#14 Edited by Brendan (8120 posts) -

I hope this won't offend finaldasa, but the site's not what made it interesting when it was launched. Its just not the same site in any way save the same aesthetic.

#15 Posted by Snail (8659 posts) -

I was thinking about this just yesterday. :(

#16 Edited by Nac (56 posts) -

It's mostly chud.com and the av club for me now. I love that the boys are back on Giant Bomb, though!

#17 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@little_socrates said:

@thedj93: I haven't seen Pitch Black, so I couldn't tell ya.

@meaninoflife42: Most of the time, you'd be right, but he was actually super-offended. The Enis book was for Leon, andthe Zardoz DVD was for Korey. He thought I was giving him a "Nigel" gift, but he got VERY upset and ranted for about twenty minutes. When he finally opened Nigel's gift, he was too exhausted to even be annoyed. I kinda get it; I sent Leon a $20 comic book and Korey a $7 DVD that seemed like garbage. But I fucking love Zardoz, so that was definitely the more personal gift. I've occasionally listened to reviews since, but my motivation to use the site is totally drained.

(cc: @mariachimacabre)

Going on a rant over not getting a free gift of equal worth? Man, that guy sounds professional.

dude sounds like an idiot. Zardos is a great movie, its just hard to get through the whole thing

#18 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@brendan: i like his reviews. it's just not enough to get me coming back i guess

#19 Posted by FinalDasa (2041 posts) -

@brendan: Doesn't offend me, I understand the feeling. I hope it can come back someday soon.

@mariachimacabre: Thanks. It's all been crazy to be honest about it and I really wish Screened could be given more resources other than just me. I get why they're making certain decisions, they do make sense especially from a business/monetary perspective, but it doesn't mean I always like/agree with it. I'm doing my best and learning everyday how to be and do better and I just hope that shows.

Moderator
#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12102 posts) -

For a website that @rorie seemed to run almost single-handedly at times, Screened was a movie website I enjoyed reading and watching. I checked it like a week ago to watch some of the better videos that they made.... but it's really sort of a wasteland now.I guess I would probably think differently if I had been more involved in the community, but still.

I wonder how Anime Vice is doing? *checks it*. Yep. Still community-focused with a bit of Tom Pinchuk editorializing in for good measure. It's bizarre that website is the one to have survived the Whiskeypocalypse pretty much unscathed, though I guess it was stripped before then when the editorial team was fired.

#21 Edited by Romination (2777 posts) -

Every now and then I think of a wiki edit to a movie I'd like to make and it makes me sad.

#22 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Screened is now community run, and the like 5 people there are great people.

If BB went immediately to a community run site, it may have had a chance at keeping people around, but alas, no one's coming back now.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5306 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I miss screened and the dumb fun version of tested. Now it's "not so much dumb fun, more serious" tested.com and that makes me sad. I don't even know what screened is anymore but I think it still exists in some bastardized form.

Screened is hanging on by a thread and is currently being run by @finaldasa.

And for the mess he inherited, I'd say he's done a good job. It's sad for me but I can't imagine how Rorie, Alex and FinalDasa must feel. That site really got the short end of the stick with the WM breakup.

Wait. So what happened with staceywi and the rest of these people? Did they just bail the fuck out?

#24 Edited by Milkman (17308 posts) -

Sigh...me too. Me too...

#25 Edited by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

@ghostiet: Yeah, I feel like I've missed some shit going down. Bring me the drama!

#26 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

I miss screened and the dumb fun version of tested. Now it's "not so much dumb fun, more serious" tested.com and that makes me sad. I don't even know what screened is anymore but I think it still exists in some bastardized form.

Oh please. Tested is way better now than it ever was under Whiskey Media.

and what? They did a video of Norm getting hit in the face with water balloons using a high speed camera, how is that not dumb?

#27 Posted by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

I really miss the screencast. I would do anything for rorie and alex to do a podcast, even if its once a month, about movies, tv and other junk.

#28 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@sooty said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I miss screened and the dumb fun version of tested. Now it's "not so much dumb fun, more serious" tested.com and that makes me sad. I don't even know what screened is anymore but I think it still exists in some bastardized form.

Oh please. Tested is way better now than it ever was under Whiskey Media.

and what? They did a video of Norm getting hit in the face with water balloons using a high speed camera, how is that not dumb?

I didn't say there was no dumb stuff, just much much less. I don't care for most of the stuff they post now. Not my cup of tea. I still check it out every now and then. Glad you like it, i do not.

#29 Edited by LackingSaint (1853 posts) -

I really miss the screencast. I would do anything for rorie and alex to do a podcast, even if its once a month, about movies, tv and other junk.

I second this. Just having Rorie and Alex shoot the shit about movies and whatever again I think would be a great addition to the GiantBomb Podcast Network. Rorie, reply to us dammit!

#30 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

I've never been a film enthusiast but I really enjoyed reading the reviews from Rorie and Alex. It's unfortunate where the site is now, but hey, Alex and Rorie are both with Giant Bomb now. So I guess it's hard to get too upset.

#31 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Screened as was great, and it really made me much more interested in film news and reviews. It really was one-of-a-kind.

#32 Edited by Sergio (2243 posts) -

I never grew attached to Screened. It entered a crowded space with already established film critics and movie web sites. It didn't have any notable movie critics or writers to draw me in. It always felt like a little side-project of Giant Bomb to me.

#33 Posted by Orbitz (67 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@little_socrates said:

@thedj93: I haven't seen Pitch Black, so I couldn't tell ya.

@meaninoflife42: Most of the time, you'd be right, but he was actually super-offended. The Enis book was for Leon, andthe Zardoz DVD was for Korey. He thought I was giving him a "Nigel" gift, but he got VERY upset and ranted for about twenty minutes. When he finally opened Nigel's gift, he was too exhausted to even be annoyed. I kinda get it; I sent Leon a $20 comic book and Korey a $7 DVD that seemed like garbage. But I fucking love Zardoz, so that was definitely the more personal gift. I've occasionally listened to reviews since, but my motivation to use the site is totally drained.

(cc: @mariachimacabre)

Going on a rant over not getting a free gift of equal worth? Man, that guy sounds professional.

dude sounds like an idiot. Zardos is a great movie, its just hard to get through the whole thing

That sounds really rude.. I'm an uneducated, blue collar moron and that just sounds really low class to me. Most people won't throw a tantrum over a gift they received.. especially from a fan who doesn't need to give them anything but support for their work ( if they deserve it that is). I mean really, It's a gift! it's just a token of appreciation.. I'm sorry, hearing this makes me upset.

On topic: I never really got into Screened. I was there for a little bit when Alex and Rorie were running things and really loved it.. But after what happened, happened, I sort of just phased out.. I miss the site too for what it's worth.

#34 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@thedj93: My podcast hole has been mostly filled by Mark Kermode and David Mayo of the bbc, excellent witty and homely podcast fun. Although i've been sorely missing out on my articles, I read some TV stuff on Tv.com, but it's not nearly as well written as I'd like.

#35 Posted by BoFooQ (748 posts) -

yeah I missed screened. even though I disagreed with almost ever one of Alex's reviews I would still be interested to look. Rory was great, is great, I looked at screened a few times since but nothing gets my hooked or wanting more. Mostly now I go to rotten tomatoes, for basic movie info but don't get the random fun I got from screened.

I think I'm going to go see iron man 3 tonight.

giantbomb should add movies to their wiki and let us just post all our reviews here.

#36 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

For a website that @rorie seemed to run almost single-handedly at times, Screened was a movie website I enjoyed reading and watching. I checked it like a week ago to watch some of the better videos that they made.... but it's really sort of a wasteland now.I guess I would probably think differently if I had been more involved in the community, but still.

I wonder how Anime Vice is doing? *checks it*. Yep. Still community-focused with a bit of Tom Pinchuk editorializing in for good measure. It's bizarre that website is the one to have survived the Whiskeypocalypse pretty much unscathed, though I guess it was stripped before then when the editorial team was fired.

What always amused me was how people here always dumped on Anime Vice as being the least visited of the Whiskey sites when it was actually getting more traffic than Screened, even in Screened's heyday.

#37 Edited by Satsugai (52 posts) -

I do so miss the chat room.

I just follow zodiac motherfucker on twitter for all my movie and tv needs.

#38 Edited by alexpiercey (5 posts) -

@tylea002:

We must remain vigilant brother! At least we still have box office league.

#39 Edited by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

@orbitz said:

@thedj93 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@little_socrates said:

@thedj93: I haven't seen Pitch Black, so I couldn't tell ya.

@meaninoflife42: Most of the time, you'd be right, but he was actually super-offended. The Enis book was for Leon, andthe Zardoz DVD was for Korey. He thought I was giving him a "Nigel" gift, but he got VERY upset and ranted for about twenty minutes. When he finally opened Nigel's gift, he was too exhausted to even be annoyed. I kinda get it; I sent Leon a $20 comic book and Korey a $7 DVD that seemed like garbage. But I fucking love Zardoz, so that was definitely the more personal gift. I've occasionally listened to reviews since, but my motivation to use the site is totally drained.

(cc: @mariachimacabre)

Going on a rant over not getting a free gift of equal worth? Man, that guy sounds professional.

dude sounds like an idiot. Zardos is a great movie, its just hard to get through the whole thing

That sounds really rude.. I'm an uneducated, blue collar moron and that just sounds really low class to me. Most people won't throw a tantrum over a gift they received.. especially from a fan who doesn't need to give them anything but support for their work ( if they deserve it that is). I mean really, It's a gift! it's just a token of appreciation.. I'm sorry, hearing this makes me upset.

I'm pretty over it, actually, but it freaked me out pretty hardcore at the time. For the record, DJ, he never watched it; he threw it out his window about 30 seconds after receiving it. And, no, Korey's never very professional, which is kind of the appeal of Spill until you decide you want to interact with them.

#40 Posted by Orbitz (67 posts) -
#41 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

Screened was great, shame bermanbraun couldn't find a place for it, at least we finally got both alex and rorie back in the fold though.

as for the people hating the new Tested, yeah it's different but the only downside is not having Will and Norm around to bolster the GB goofiness, they're doing good work on their own, but back then it seemed like they were just a place to throw none game related nerd content.

#42 Posted by CashBailey (805 posts) -

I definitely miss Screened. There was a buzz you got when you added a movie to the wiki that nobody else had. It made you feel special.

And Alex and Rorie's humour made the updates so much fun to read.

And is CHUD still around? Devin Faraci was the main reason that site was any damn good, and he now has his own site, Badass Digest. Oh well, I guess as long as there are MEG books to pimp Nick Nunziata will still have a reason to keep that site running.

#43 Posted by DocHaus (1374 posts) -
@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

For a website that @rorie seemed to run almost single-handedly at times, Screened was a movie website I enjoyed reading and watching. I checked it like a week ago to watch some of the better videos that they made.... but it's really sort of a wasteland now.I guess I would probably think differently if I had been more involved in the community, but still.

I wonder how Anime Vice is doing? *checks it*. Yep. Still community-focused with a bit of Tom Pinchuk editorializing in for good measure. It's bizarre that website is the one to have survived the Whiskeypocalypse pretty much unscathed, though I guess it was stripped before then when the editorial team was fired.

What always amused me was how people here always dumped on Anime Vice as being the least visited of the Whiskey sites when it was actually getting more traffic than Screened, even in Screened's heyday.

Wish Anime Vice and Screened could both get some upgraded code, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. At least they still have their fanbases.

#44 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4875 posts) -

@orbitz said:

@thedj93 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@little_socrates said:

@thedj93: I haven't seen Pitch Black, so I couldn't tell ya.

@meaninoflife42: Most of the time, you'd be right, but he was actually super-offended. The Enis book was for Leon, andthe Zardoz DVD was for Korey. He thought I was giving him a "Nigel" gift, but he got VERY upset and ranted for about twenty minutes. When he finally opened Nigel's gift, he was too exhausted to even be annoyed. I kinda get it; I sent Leon a $20 comic book and Korey a $7 DVD that seemed like garbage. But I fucking love Zardoz, so that was definitely the more personal gift. I've occasionally listened to reviews since, but my motivation to use the site is totally drained.

(cc: @mariachimacabre)

Going on a rant over not getting a free gift of equal worth? Man, that guy sounds professional.

dude sounds like an idiot. Zardos is a great movie, its just hard to get through the whole thing

That sounds really rude.. I'm an uneducated, blue collar moron and that just sounds really low class to me. Most people won't throw a tantrum over a gift they received.. especially from a fan who doesn't need to give them anything but support for their work ( if they deserve it that is). I mean really, It's a gift! it's just a token of appreciation.. I'm sorry, hearing this makes me upset.

I'm pretty over it, actually, but it freaked me out pretty hardcore at the time. For the record, DJ, he never watched it; he threw it out his window about 30 seconds after receiving it. And, no, Korey's never very professional, which is kind of the appeal of Spill until you decide you want to interact with them.

God, that sucks, doesn't it? I wrote an email question into a podcast once and I thought I was being clever and witty and that it would be clear I was joking in my email. Then the podcast guys read it and got real anal over it. I got called some names and got mocked for a good 15 minutes on the air. To be fair I re-read the email afterward and yeah, it wasn't easy to tell I was being hyperbolic for humour, but that shit crushed me all the same.

What I'm saying is, we should totally break that Spill guy's kneecaps.

#45 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3242 posts) -

The Screened podcast was easily the best part of Screened for me. Everything they were doing on the site had a great vibe and I wish it would come back with that Whiskey flavor.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@dochaus said:
@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

For a website that @rorie seemed to run almost single-handedly at times, Screened was a movie website I enjoyed reading and watching. I checked it like a week ago to watch some of the better videos that they made.... but it's really sort of a wasteland now.I guess I would probably think differently if I had been more involved in the community, but still.

I wonder how Anime Vice is doing? *checks it*. Yep. Still community-focused with a bit of Tom Pinchuk editorializing in for good measure. It's bizarre that website is the one to have survived the Whiskeypocalypse pretty much unscathed, though I guess it was stripped before then when the editorial team was fired.

What always amused me was how people here always dumped on Anime Vice as being the least visited of the Whiskey sites when it was actually getting more traffic than Screened, even in Screened's heyday.

Wish Anime Vice and Screened could both get some upgraded code, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. At least they still have their fanbases.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time. At the very least, I feel like Anime Vice has been doing well enough to get some code attention, but every time I visit Screened, it feels like I'm in a ghost town.

#47 Posted by Epidehl (327 posts) -

Screened was actually the how I found Whiskey in the first place and subsequently Giant Bomb. I think it was Alex who did the interview with Neil Cicierega (who I'm a huge fan of) about Brodyquest that brought me in.

It's a real bummer not having it around in the same capacity anymore, I also never would've seen Source Code if it wasn't for @rorie, and I love that movie now.

#48 Posted by Xaviersx (158 posts) -

And now its closing down...http://www.screened.com/news/important-screened-news/5425/

#49 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

@xaviersx: This didn't need to be bumped. We already have a thread on the site closing.

Moderator