Guys what exactly is a Mid-Term?

Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Austin

I'm taking an AP course this semester and since its college credit my teacher said we will have a mid term in March. Common sense tells me that it's an exam that you take in the middle of a semester, but I don't know what to expect. Is it equivalent or less difficult than a final exam?

Please tell me your experiences with mid terms and how you feel about them.

Thanks!

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Cumulative test of everything you have learned so far but because its in the middle  of the term hence mid term. In college there are no weekly test and your entire grade is based on two test for the entire semester your midterm and final test. You still being in high school the midterm is probably only going to simulate (as in your grade isn't solely determined by your midterm and final test scores) what its like being in college as you probably still have a test every week or so.

All I gotta say is step it up kid

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShadowKiller

It's like a final exam that has all the stuff you learned so far on it. I think it's worth quite a lot but not as much as a final. Luckily my school stopped giving out mi-terms when i was in grade 6  =)

Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Austin
StaticFalconar said:
"Cumulative test of everything you have learned so far but because its in the middle  of the term hence mid term. In college there are no weekly test and your entire grade is based on two test for the entire semester your midterm and final test. You still being in high school the midterm is probably only going to simulate (as in your grade isn't solely determined by your midterm and final test scores) what its like being in college as you probably still have a test every week or so.

All I gotta say is step it up kid"
Thanks, but damn college sounds hard! Your whole grade for the semester is based on 2 exams? That sucks!
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Optiow

I do not have a clue what a mid term is.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Karmum

One semester worth of testing, that lasts several days. Two semesters for me in High School, don't know about everyone else. Final Exam is essentially the same thing, basically the last few days of school and covers the second (and last) semester.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar
Austin said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"Cumulative test of everything you have learned so far but because its in the middle  of the term hence mid term. In college there are no weekly test and your entire grade is based on two test for the entire semester your midterm and final test. You still being in high school the midterm is probably only going to simulate (as in your grade isn't solely determined by your midterm and final test scores) what its like being in college as you probably still have a test every week or so.

Thanks, but damn college sounds hard! Your whole grade for the semester is based on 2 exams? That sucks!"
I actually love it, you can slack off for so long (no weekly test to study for) and to see if you are really smart, you take the test anyway and see how much you can cram in a short amount of time. That or, you start developing the skills to learn without studying. (Yes no more note taking, no more pre-reading re-reading; you just learn the first time people tell you stuff, because you are emersed in the subject) Afterall how will you get to the level of being an adult where people ask you anything (assuming you are going to use your college degree to get an important job) and you have pull the answer up without saying wait let me study this up; Doctor's job is just one big cumulative test since anything can spring up on them, same for lawyers, business people, hell, even the weatherman. <Sure its mostly the same day to day but when something springs up and they don't have an asnwer, they are fired. So that means they have to retain a lot of info in thier head to be dispensed at any given time>

Of course that is only if your classes can have that structure; writing classes will still be weekly assignments and whatnot.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Megalon

Just keep up with the material and mid-terms aren't so bad. I came to prefer the 2-4 tests per semester being the only thing that makes up my grade, other than lab grades sometimes (went to school for biology).

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Geno

It will test everything you've learned to date more detailed than the same content would be tested in the final exam, however the final exam is usually cumulative so it makes up for it in quantity. It's about the same "difficulty" as a final, but probably not as long.

deerpoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deerpoob

huh, a mid term for me (as a high schooler) was just a report card type thing...but halfway throught the semester.

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By E_rock

A mid term is just a cumulative test for the first half of the semester.  If your teacher is cool the final will only cover the material presented after the midterm.  A grade based only off 3 exams and a final may seem like money, but trust me when it comes to upper level math and science courses you'll wish you had those homework points to fall back on. 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Austin said:
"StaticFalconar said:

Thanks, but damn college sounds hard! Your whole grade for the semester is based on 2 exams? That sucks!"

That's not true at all.
My brother goes to gatech (the same school I'm going to!! -- accepted). THe worst he has (i think) is those tests and a few more.  Some classes he has projects, tests, labs, and straight up homework. GaTech is a damn good school by the way.  It's ranked among the top in the nation, within the top 5 for multiple courses of engineering and sciences.   #2 for aerospace in the world, behind MIT (but if you live in state for tech and maintain a B average you can go there for free- my brother does- he's also a room/board attendant--> where he gets free room vs. how much for MIT)
psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By psmgamer

It counts as part as your final grade like sort of a final exam mainly everything that you'll see on the final.

04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 04JETTA

its like btween 3rd and 4th quarter

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane
Austin said:
"StaticFalconar said:

I don't know how all colleges/universities work, but all the ones I know of around this area of the US that only applies to upper level classes usually.  A lot of the Freshman and Sophomore courses have regular tests with a mid term as well.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

It is like a final exam except it covers everything from the first two marking periods. It is graded, at my school, as 10% of my final grade for the course, another 10% going to the final. Each marking period counts as 20% as a result.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By suneku

A test in the middle of the quarter/semester.

Sometimes they suck, sometimes they're great. Depends on the professor.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vitefish

My mid-terms are on Monday. Of course, I am still in middle school, so for me this is just a giant test on everything I learned. Which sucks. Which reminds me, what am I doing here? I should be studying. But anyways, could luck on your midterms.