#1 Posted by ShaggE (6337 posts) -

Hair of the dog? Gallons of water? Fruit and vegetables?

As my head starts pounding, I remember that a significant portion of us are going to be suffering heavily today. So, what are your preferred hangover remedies? Personally, I'm trying the old water cure. Fight the dehydration as much as possible, and hope it at least prevents the nausea, if not the headache. If not, then Alka Seltzer and some fruit (if I can stomach it).

#2 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I'm not hungover, but fry up works wonders.

#3 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Try not drinking the night before, works wonders for hangovers.

#4 Posted by ShaggE (6337 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

You don't say...

I knew last night that this was coming. I don't regret it at all. I just thank my lucky stars that I can imbibe like this a couple of times a year and not ruin my life with it. I'm not saying "oh, poor me, having to suffer a hangover", I'm just curious as to what other people do to lessen the impact.

#5 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Sports drinks! Get those electrolytes back into you. Plus, having a drink with something in it other than just water is best, to replenish those bits you lost to the evil drink. Plus vitamin tablets work well.

Nothing beats time, though. That'll kick it right out.

Man I wish there was tab-spacing on this site...

#6 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

You don't say...

I knew last night that this was coming. I don't regret it at all. I just thank my lucky stars that I can imbibe like this a couple of times a year and not ruin my life with it. I'm not saying "oh, poor me, having to suffer a hangover", I'm just curious as to what other people do to lessen the impact.

Tractor fuel, half a pint of cider mixed with half a pint of alcoholic ginger beer and sausage and mash in my local pub, always works, me and my friends all swear by it.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6337 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@ShaggE said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

You don't say...

Tractor fuel, half a pint of cider mixed with half a pint of alcoholic ginger beer and sausage and mash in my local pub, always works, me and my friends all swear by it.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I regret to say I'm not as good as I first thought, I'm in a foul mood and usually after a fantastic night out I feel slightly depressed. It totally sucks, oh well, life goes on.

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4641 posts) -

My right eye is red and my left eye is pink. I'm pretty confused about it.

#10 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Don't drink, kids. Also don't do drugs.

#11 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Amateurs

#12 Edited by ShaggE (6337 posts) -

Well, my headache's all but gone... Alka Seltzer is fucking amazing. A little nauseated and wobbly/weak, but for all the gin I put away, I'm feeling surprisingly good.

#13 Posted by Loafsmooch (311 posts) -

I think I'm still drunk. It's 3:25 pm here in sweden. woopwoop?

#14 Posted by TooWalrus (13138 posts) -

My idiot boss called me into work this morning, "Walrus, I'm dry-heaving uncontrollably and not getting any work done." I was NOT happy, so I rolled out of bed at 8AM and got my uniform on and shit before getting another call "Nevermind, Brandon got here first, it's cool."

...and that's how my new year started. Good story, right?

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13138 posts) -

Also:

@Scooper said:

#16 Posted by isomeri (1225 posts) -

Cranberry juice and or sports drinks.

#17 Posted by Loafsmooch (311 posts) -

Milk is also pretty good actually

#18 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

Usually the biggest issue with a hangover is the lack of water in your body, which interprets the booze as water, and therefore causes your body to excrete urine in the same way as if you had drank lots of water. Now at this point your body is lacking water, and is therefore forced to draw upon its natural reserve's in order to supply the H2O required for functions. This happens to be your bodies cebreal spinal fluid, which is what lines your cranial cavity, and prevents your brain from impacting your skull when you move around. Since you have very little of this fluid, your brain slams against the sides of your skull, and causes a massive headache.

So the key is drink lots of water, but it is even better to drink water as you are drinking alcohol, this will prevent the worst of the hangover symptoms. It won't prevent all of them, but it will help.

#19 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Sports drinks and just pretty much alot of water.

Damn, I woke up at 4pm today.

#20 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

All I've got is sore muscles. What I do? More cock pushups.

#21 Posted by Christoffer (1759 posts) -

I usually keep it simple. Chug alot of water, get some salts back in the body, go back to sleep.

Thankfully, I'm spry as a lark today. I went easy on the drink this new years eve.

#22 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Also:

@Scooper said:

#23 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (945 posts) -

@ShaggE: Best option is drinking as much as water as you can before going to sleep. This almost cancels all effects of dehydration which cause most of the hangover symptoms.

#24 Edited by Aterons (198 posts) -

I never knew if this is a thing outside this country/area, hence i don't know what the dish would be called in English, but here we make a sour soup with cow/calf belly meat. Tastes wonderful and it cures hangover very well, takes a bit of time and "know how" to prepare but you can just cook it the night before and if you cooked a soup in your life and have the recipe it should be easy enough to make.

Sadly for me i managed to stretch a back muscle in a very shitty way last night and hangover is the last thing that bothers me right now :(

#25 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Water and very little movement for the next few hours.

#26 Posted by pweidman (2299 posts) -

@Aterons: Sounds like Menudo, and that stuff works wonders for sure as long as it's good and spicy and with tons of lime juice.

The water recommendations itt are spot on, especially guzzling all you can before bed, but damn a good breakfast burrito w/steak, eggs, and potatoes w/tons of hot sauce does wonders too.

That is until Claude makes you laugh and some goes up your nose. :/

#27 Posted by Milkman (16535 posts) -

A little dehydrated but it could be much worse.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

Drank a lot of water before bed last night and don't feel hungover today.

#29 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Yeah since I started drinking a huge glass of water and taking a few Tylenol before bed I havnt been getting hangovers.  Not as bad at least.