#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I was just typing something up, and I misspelled the word "variety" as "verity". I noticed something odd: spell check didn't freak out. I looked it up and learned a new word (a super important objective truth and stuff, in case you're wondering). So have any of you had similar experiences? Have you learned a new word by fucking up another? Or is this a too esoteric topic?

#2 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I had to learn the difference between segue and segway the hard way.

#3 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Typos have taught me that there are a lot of people who can't construct arguments without them.

#4 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Yeah that people are dicks and will not let it go.

#5 Posted by Slag (4351 posts) -

I know I have, I can't remember what though.

#6 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

that a typo in your thread title causes at least an extra 3 posts, they love to tell you they spotted your mistake

#7 Posted by IBurningStar (2172 posts) -

Typos and spellcheck are how I learn that I don't know how to spell so many words. So many words.

#8 Posted by Pr1mus (3906 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: When i saw "verity" i immediately thought of the french word "vérité" before reading the rest of your post, and yeah turns out it's exactly that. So now your typo taught me a new word too!

#9 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

@HaltIamReptar said:

Typos have taught me that there are a lot of people who can't construct arguments without them.

Boom.

#10 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

typos have taught me that people on the internet are extremely petty and will focus on a typo you made rather than listen to your well crafted argument.

#11 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

I discovered the word dint my freshman year of high school when I was attempting to write didn't in an IM to a friend.

#12 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

typos have taught me that people on the internet are extremely petty and will focus on a typo you made rather than listen to your well crafted argument.

Boom, this right here.

#13 Edited by ShaggE (6452 posts) -

I accidentally spelled "banana" with an extra "na", and I suddenly learned that there is indeed life after love.

Edit: Ugh, left an "l" out of "accidentally". ... Oh wow, so THAT'S how you draw a realistic tomato!

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (5179 posts) -

I once wrote "I really like dogging and rolling in games" and realised the mistake about 20 mins later... It didn't teach me anything other than to double check every single time I write the word dodging.

#15 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4604 posts) -

'Typos' have taught me that my spelling will always be better than that of Microsoft Word.

Man > Machine, motherfuckers!

#16 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@Clonedzero said:

Boom, this right here.

Bam, that right there.

#17 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1700 posts) -

When every time I tried to write the word "person" it came out as "persona" because of muscle memory, I realized maybe I was writing about how awesome the Persona games are a little too much.

#18 Posted by Smarter_Martyr (591 posts) -

It taught me that watitng patiently every Tuesday for the new Bombcast is a virtue unto itself.

#19 Posted by EkajArmstro (386 posts) -

manikin vs. mannequin

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9703 posts) -

I prefer 'sex' a lot more than 'six'.