Has anybody seen The Wire?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By landon

While I don't particularly like crime shows, I do follow Dexter and Breaking Bad and have watched all I can from both of them. Granted, the only reason interested is because of its sheer critical claim, but I was wondering if anybody who has seen it and Dexter/Breaking Bad to help me see if it would be something I'd be into.

Travis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Travis

OMG YES.  The Wire is such an amazing show..  I recently ordered the complete 5 season box set, and I CAN NOT wait for it to get here..  It's one of, if not THE, best shows on TV.  Simply put, it's a perfect TV show, and you should definitely give it a shot.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PulledaBrad

Word of warning, it is nothing like Dexter or Breaking Bad. Some would even call it slow. But the storytelling in that show is amazing. Perfectly developed characters.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wire is, with little equivocation, the Best Show of All Time. As in the entire history of television. The phrase "crime show" is unfair to The Wire, because it is about "crime" only inasmuch as it is about a society where the simplest and most direct way to making a better life for one's self is to enter the so called Game, which is criminality. The Wire is far more a portrait of the underbelly of Baltimore, and through it the plight of any number of rotting post industrial metropolis dotting the midwest and eastern seaboard. Show is almost unfair in that The Wire is far more a work of American Literature than a simple weekly procedural, a massive Dickensian (natch) monument, a sprawling and twisting tale of life, death, and the often horrifyingly slender barrier between the two. Not to denigrate Breaking Bad (a fantastic show) and Dexter (an solidly entertaining show) but The Wire really is on a level above. 

Which is all just Douchebageese for "The Wire is fantastic and you owe it to yourself to at least check it out".

deepfriedmario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By deepfriedmario

I found The Wire to be a show that I didn't instantly click with but a show that slowly progressed into one of my favourite shows. I haven't seen the last season yet because it hasn't been released in Australia or, at least, I can't find it anywhere but the fourth season has to be my favourite. 

I wouldn't exactly categorise Dexter and The Wire in the same genre. I personally couldn't really enjoy Dexter. But if you're looking for another crime show but with a little bit more action, I highly recommend The Shield.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By McSmunions

like PulledaBrad said it's nothing like those shows, but i can't recommend it enough. if the first episode doesn't pull you in give it another try with the next one. although i think season 3 was probably my favorite, i just loved marlo's character. especially the scene with the golf club. man that show was awesome.

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KennyPowers

Such an amazing show.  I had trouble getting started with it, but after I watched the first two episodes over the span of a month, I finished the rest of the season in three days.  Don't go in expecting 24 or Dexter and you will be pleased.  Such a great overall portrayal of a city.  In addition to the complex story and writing, one of the things that sets it apart is how few deep most of the characters are and how few stock characters there are.   

My only complaint is that it may be the worst intro/theme song of any good show.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

There is every other show on TV, then there is The Wire.  I hate cop drama yet I find myself irrevocably drawn into The Wire's myriad character arcs like almost no show has ever drawn me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only gone through season 1, but it's fucking amazing. Been meaning to open up my season 2 box set actually.

Jeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffery

I have never watched The Wire.

When i see its on,i will not switch the channel,i promise.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Feser

This is odd. I just got the show for my mother (Yes, my mother) and was wondering if she would like it. She likes Deadwood so I hope this badboy isn't to graphic  . . . . .

fearbefore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fearbefore

Finished the entire series and it is amazing.  Calling it a cop drama is a bit narrow, as the topics span a wide range as the series progresses through its seasons.  I recommend it to all my friends.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss

I keep meaning to watch it, I hear it's incredible.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fwylo

I've only seen the youtube videos of that black cop that says shit for an extremely long duration. "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

fearbefore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fearbefore
@fwylo: It's even more funny in context
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Bruce

Great show, but takes way too long to get going. I wasn't really interested until halfway into the first season. The second season was meh, but 3, 4, and 5 were really great.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By ArchScabby

I watched the first season, and didn't really like it.  I thought it was kinda boring.  I know it's supposed to be the most realistic cop show ever or whatever, but that's the problem.  Real life is boring.

Does it get better after season 1?  Because if it does I might go back and watch the other seasons.  Or maybe people think season 1 is great, and it just might not be my kind of show.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjakiller

Dude, it's one of my top series of all time.  The storytelling might be called slow, but the show itself doesn't forget anything and brilliant throwbacks from season 5 to 1 were artfully done.  Season two was a little off kilter because it really switched focus away from the streets, but was good nonetheless. 

fearbefore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fearbefore

I think the boredom might come from the dialogue.  If you don't enjoy dialogue driven series then it might be a bit harder to get through.  There's action throughout, but the scenes are typically short and intense.  This series is amazingly deep as far as believable  character interaction goes, and you really get a feeling for who each character is and the way they grow and change throughout the series.  

Wabashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Wabashy

start from the beginning, watch the first few episodes, its a slow burn but it will hook you because its amazing... the characters, the story and the music.... all amazing

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By fillmoejoe

Great great show. Love the intros to each season.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By taccyp

I've heard amazing things about it, unfortunately I've never mustered the patience to start it.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeffery

No, no, no, no, no. 

This is not law and order. You don't catch an episode here or there. 

People, watch the entire series from the very beginning, proceeding in order. If you can't do that then please stick to watching CSI and NCIS and other thing that signal to the rest of us that you are not worth talking to.

eviant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By eviant

The Wire is bloody brilliant, don't sleep on it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pinworm45

I just can't get into this show. It has the makings of everything I love - HBO, Dialogue driven, about crime in general.. but I simply can't stand it. 

I feel bad for this, because of the praise it gets. I feel like it's smart, I just can't stand it. I simply find it too.. boring. Now, I'm not an ADD person who can't watch shows like this. In fact, most of my shows are similiar. It's not that. I just.. can't get into it. 

Oh, and another thing.. I can never understand what the hell anyone is saying. The accents I guess. I suppose this is part of it? *shrug*.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By eezo

The wire is the best show EVER!

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fwylo

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Djeffers03

I have seen it before but I was never into it.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By SumDeus

My dad has been raving about how great this show is, I guess I'll finally check it out.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azrail

best show ever on tv 
season 1 & 4 our the best 
season 2 is the weakest, but still better than 90% of other shows seasons

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aeterna

It's very enjoyable, but as much praise as it gets in this thread.... no.