• 75 results
#1 Edited by NTM (7540 posts) -

I think it's looking pretty great, or maybe it was (and I think it was) the Lord of the Rings soundtrack that helped it. I knew it before I was going in, or at least I had a hunch that Hans Zimmer was going to do the soundtrack. Him just coming off of The Dark Knight Rises, which I believe has a great soundtrack makes me excited to hear what Superman's going to sound like. I personally really do love Superman as a hero although his story may not be quite as interesting as say... Batman? Maybe it is. I'm really just excited to see what this one's like. It's cool to see great actors like Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe both be in a film together playing Superman's fathers. I don't think they have been in a film together have they? Anyone else here excited for this film? Here's a trailer. There are two, so I'll try to find them both. It's just a different person (Costner, or Crowe) talking during the same stuff going on.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I have a feeling its going to turnout boring like superman returns.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I had no interest in the movie before that trailer. Now I'm cautiously optimistic.

#4 Posted by Soapy86 (2617 posts) -

I'm not a fan of. Superman at all, but I like trailer.

#5 Posted by Soapy86 (2617 posts) -

I like *the* trailer.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

I saw it before The Dark Knight Rises yesterday. I was already interested in it because Zack Snyder was directing and Chris Nolan was producing (I feel like he wouldn't attach his name to something if he didn't think it'd be good), and I like the direction they seem to be going based on this. I hope it's good, because if DC wants to have any chance of someday making a Justice League movie, they need to be able to make movies about characters other than Batman that are genuinely good (also, I just want it to be good).

#7 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1263 posts) -

No interest in Superman at the moment.

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

So the rumor going around is that part of the film will show a war on Krypton. I'm interested, even though I'm not a fan of Superman.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

So the rumor going around is that part of the film will show a war on Krypton. I'm interested, even though I'm not a fan of Superman.

That would immediately make me more excited. My main worry is that Zack Snyder's movies are really hit or miss.

#10 Edited by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

I've never liked any of the Superman movies and I don't really like Zak Snyder so I don't have the highest hopes for this film. That on top of this film being the second attempt to revive Superman in a row and the superfluous amounts of superhero movies makes this film just seem trite.

#11 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

I want to see the geek clark kent

#12 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (302 posts) -

@falserelic said:

It won't be. This will actually feature action. I don't know why Warner Bros. isn't putting out the footage they showed at Comic Con because that was a better selection of footage than this.

#13 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I think Superman gets a lot of unnecessary shit on the internet, but I fucking LOVE SUPERMAN. Anyway I like what I'm seeing so far. Still, the guy made Sucker Punch which is terrible.. He also made Watchmen which is great. I don't know, but I hope Nolan has more influence than I hope he does. I hope Man of Steel is great cause the world needs a great Superman movie.

#14 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@falserelic said:

It won't be. This will actually feature action. I don't know why Warner Bros. isn't putting out the footage they showed at Comic Con because that was a better selection of footage than this.

I hope so. Most of all the superman movies except superman 2 I found boring. There was never really action going on. When they did showed action it wasn't all that great. But I hope this reboot can prove me wrong.

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

I really hope it's good. The problem with Superman is a fundamental problem with the character itself. It's so hard to make him exciting because he is too perfect. Besides Doomsday, kryptonite, or by way of the others around him he can't be hurt to a degree that leads to legitimate concern for the character. The issue is that because the scenarios with the character are so predictable that there's no sense of peril. The trailers look really nice. But the fundamental problem I have with the character is still there.

#16 Posted by stinky (1553 posts) -

first two original superman films were good, dont see why a new can't be.

#17 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I'm more excited for the movies past this. I'll probably give this a chance, though.

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I just want to see him FUCK THINGS UP.

#20 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I really hope it's good. The problem with Superman is a fundamental problem with the character itself. It's so hard to make him exciting because he is too perfect. Besides Doomsday, kryptonite, or by way of the others around him he can't be hurt to a degree that leads to legitimate concern for the character. The issue is that because the scenarios with the character are so predictable that there's no sense of peril. The trailers look really nice. But the fundamental problem I have with the character is still there.

Thor.

#21 Posted by Jay_Ray (1127 posts) -

I really dislike Superman because when I started reading comics he was just overpowered, he could do anything. I think they need to put serious limits to his powers to make him interesting. If Warner wants to do a Justice League movie or even a Superman and Batman movie then they have to start here.

#22 Posted by Ratcabbage (250 posts) -

I want to see a Superman who's frustrated with stopping petty crimes and pulling kittens out of trees and decides the only way he can really change the world is to rule it. Then who do the people turn to to bring down a dictator with the powers of a god? Lex Luthor, baby! BOOM! M. Night Shyamalan plot twist! But the world is actually a better place with Superman in charge. BOOM! Another Shyamalanian plot twist! Where's my movie check?

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

@JasonR86 said:

Thor.

I guess I had less of a problem with Thor because I knew less about him. It'll be a bigger issue for him in the next movie won't it? This movie he had his powers stripped away. The next movie will be harder to come up with a real challenge. I haven't seen the Avengers so I can't really speak to how everything transpired there.

I guess I'm like this with a lot of superheros not just Superman. He's just the easy to lay this problem on. The fact of the matter is that I only really like a superhero when he or she is less super. For example, I know when I see a Batman movie Batman will win in the end. But, because he is just a very strong, smart, but normal man there's that potential of him dying or being overwhelmed physically by what he does. I can't see that with Superman unless there is a very specific set of variables present.

#24 Posted by KaneRobot (1823 posts) -

Oh boy, more unnecessary reboots.

The "he's invincible so he's boring" thing is bullshit. There are plenty of things he's vulnerable to. Batman is just some guy but still seemed invincible until the movie that just came out, and all three of those films are fine. Get a good story and you're likely to have a good movie.

#25 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

the only take on Superman I've enjoyed is Smallville. since Clark had to worry about his identity, his parents farm, his friends safety, the villain of the week, and Lex Luther as a friend/frienemy, there were a lots of interesting plot threads in that show. Plus, they introduce a number of kryptonite artifacts to add a little mystery to an otherwise well-known story. the fact that he is nearly indestructible doesn't really make him any safer.

unfortunately, I can't expect a two-hour movie to be nearly as complicated, so it will probably be just another "hero has a crisis" story

#26 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

I didn't care about the movie before the trailer, and I somehow care about it even less now.

#27 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I have this problem with Superman

@JasonR86 said:

But the names attached make me interested

#28 Posted by stinky (1553 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

The "he's invincible so he's boring" thing is bullshit

true. was there anyone wondering if Ironman would lose in his films? SPOILER, he's not going to.

hulk going to lose a fight? nope. sure hope the Xmen win their next battle, oh look they did.

superheros in all films are only superficially beaten. superman will be no different.

#29 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1888 posts) -
@Gabriel Thor, in the comics at least, is not treated as invulnerable as Superman. Supes has the problem of having Hulk-like "strongest thing ever" strength, with enough back-up powers to be a walking deus ex machina. That's why they had to create Kryptonite, and later Doomsday (who is technically less strong but had kryptonite like poison... yadda yadda yadda).

I hope the movies do portray him more at the Thor power levels than his comic book power levels, but we'll have to wait and see.
#30 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

All the scenes in that trailer are very un-Zack Snyder. Which is a good thing.

#31 Posted by huser (1104 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I think you found the answer right there. Gotta throw an actual threat at Superman. Like Zod and the Phantom Zoners, Darkseid, Doomsday, or at least Bizarro. Not another Luthor real estate scheme...or worse a random made up villain. Given what we've seen, I'm not particularly worried on Superman being imperiled or challenged, and if they are predictable...well did we really think Spider-man/Batman/whoever was in any particular danger against any of their submastermind villain threats?

#32 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -

The best aspect of Superman is exploring his more human side and how he copes with his power and struggles with not just letting loose. People saying Superman is too perfect don't know their Supes.

If this movie hits on that, it'll be good.

#33 Edited by huser (1104 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@Gabriel Thor, in the comics at least, is not treated as invulnerable as Superman. Supes has the problem of having Hulk-like "strongest thing ever" strength, with enough back-up powers to be a walking deus ex machina. That's why they had to create Kryptonite, and later Doomsday (who is technically less strong but had kryptonite like poison... yadda yadda yadda). I hope the movies do portray him more at the Thor power levels than his comic book power levels, but we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I believe Kryptonite was actually created because that allowed the lead for the Superman radio series to take a vacation. And if we are talking supertough "strongest thing ever" beings combined with deus ex machina that would be Silver Surfer with the power cosmic, or ironically enough, Thor and Mjolnir.

And Doomsday had kryptonite like poison?

@KaneRobot said:

The "he's invincible so he's boring" thing is bullshit. There are plenty of things he's vulnerable to. Batman is just some guy but still seemed invincible until the movie that just came out, and all three of those films are fine. Get a good story and you're likely to have a good movie.

Completely agree. I just think some people are conflating their suspension of disbelief with some objective defect in the character. Admittedly only 1 of the 5 Superman movies really threw a compelling physical threat at Superman so I can see why that's become the overall narrative. The lazier, mooks with guns issue...as if those are threats to ANY A or even B-list character is another thing.

#34 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

@huser said:

@JasonR86 said:

I think you found the answer right there. Gotta throw an actual threat at Superman. Like Zod and the Phantom Zoners, Darkseid, Doomsday, or at least Bizarro. Not another Luthor real estate scheme...or worse a random made up villain. Given what we've seen, I'm not particularly worried on Superman being imperiled or challenged, and if they are predictable...well did we really think Spider-man/Batman/whoever was in any particular danger against any of their submastermind villain threats?

I think the fundamental flaw here isn't necessarily that Superman is "all powerful," but that he is an established hero. When you see the name "Superman," you come to expect an intense action-packed movie that will end the same way all super-hero movies should end - the hero winning out in the end. We all know there are "special" comic series that break the bat or something or other, but in the end we don't want to see our hero fail, because it means he's gone forever.

My comparison would be the shock of (some of) the deaths in the Walking Dead TV show. Unless you read the somewhat obscure graphic novel, you didn't know what would happen next, and people died. However, none of those established characters have been around for a handful of decades, so there was no "oh of course," moment.

I think the director needs to have Super-man fail in some way to make it more "adult." None of us want to see a dead Super-man in the end, but we do want to see hard decisions that have real life consequences. Instead of Super-man saving everyone during a scene, have him only able to save half because he is being shown his limitations. Something to usher out an emotion that we really don't relate to when we are reading a Super-man comic.

#35 Posted by stryker1121 (1587 posts) -

Not much interested in another Supes origin story but that was a nice trailer. I'm not a Zack Snyder fan. He made one good flick in his career and that was a remake. Lots of style, little substance to most of his work. If he can tone the crazy maybe this will be good. Plus Gen. Zod looks to be the villain, a huge bonus.

#36 Posted by huser (1104 posts) -

@DonChipotle said:

The best aspect of Superman is exploring his more human side and how he copes with his power and struggles with not just letting loose. People saying Superman is too perfect don't know their Supes.

If this movie hits on that, it'll be good.

For me, I think his unrelatability is a bit of the point. Just like Star Trek's utopia. We who can't relate are literally people who couldn't exist in the world they are trying to usher in, like secular Jesus I guess. I mean the Bombcast go on an on about Superman not being threatened so what kind of hero is he? Well, ignoring that fallacy (what alien invasions and high tech megalomaniacs don't count?) he's a guy that still puts himself on call 24/7 to stop muggers and meteors. Even without particular danger are people who work in soup kitchens or other volunteers not in some way heroes? But yeah I think that charge of being too perfect is just the distilled pop culture thing everyone now carries around as dogma. Like somehow knowing the COMIC character, Aquaman sucks, being the learned and reasoned conclusion gleaned from a 1970's Saturday Morning cartoon.

#37 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Ratcabbage said:

I want to see a Superman who's frustrated with stopping petty crimes and pulling kittens out of trees and decides the only way he can really change the world is to rule it. Then who do the people turn to to bring down a dictator with the powers of a god? Lex Luthor, baby! BOOM! M. Night Shyamalan plot twist! But the world is actually a better place with Superman in charge. BOOM! Another Shyamalanian plot twist! Where's my movie check?

I want to see that movie!

#38 Edited by SaintOfKillers (66 posts) -

the one with russell crowe as Jor EL is so much better

@egg: read Superman: Red Son it has similar ideas and and a russian batman

#39 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

Superman is the worst.

#40 Posted by ez123 (1994 posts) -

@stinky said:

@KaneRobot said:

The "he's invincible so he's boring" thing is bullshit

true. was there anyone wondering if Ironman would lose in his films? SPOILER, he's not going to.

hulk going to lose a fight? nope. sure hope the Xmen win their next battle, oh look they did.

superheros in all films are only superficially beaten. superman will be no different.

Seriously. It's nonsense and the only reason it gets brought up is because it's cool to hate Superman.

#41 Posted by HistoryInRust (6397 posts) -

Whatever, guys. Superman is the bees knees. And I want desperately to love this movie. So desperately I'm willing to abandon my distaste for Zack Snyder.

#42 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Well, Superman Returns was a real disappointment to me, so I'm not really interested.

#43 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

The trailer looked a little, I dunno, 'artsy' ? I know its a teaser but just some if the shots. I hope its better than superman returns, a good superman movie would rock my socks.

#44 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

The trailer really didn't do much for me. There just isn't enough there for me to get any feeling for the movie at all.

The clip of superman flying looked pretty cool and the trailer is surprisingly understated for a Zach Snyder movie which has me cautiously optimistic, but it's going to take a full theatrical trailer for me to even bother remembering this film exists.

#45 Posted by OldGuy (1575 posts) -

I'd love if a Supes movie could adapt the main theme from the first Samaritan story in Astro City (and Busiek would get a cut, of course)...

Oh, wait... seems in my poking around that Busiek has a deal with Working Title Films to do an Astro City film (though, that doesn't mean it'll ever actually happen)... so maybe I'll get my wish...

#46 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

I think that a severely power limited superman or morally imperfect superman is the way to go.

My main problem with superman isn't his strength but rather his speed and stamina. There is a batman/superman comic where batman gets supermans powers and actually fucking uses them and effectively rids the planet of crime because he can travel faster than light and can fly. He eventually goes crazy and loses the powers because plot, but it fucking shows that superman is a lazy shit

#47 Posted by Sonic204 (3 posts) -

I'm not a fan of Superman at all but the trailer has me curious.

#48 Edited by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

Zack: How do we make this film more gritty and dark?

Chris: Uh.. Here, use this filter. It worked for Batman.

Zack: PERFECT!

---

I'm curious to see how this movie turns out. I don't know if it will be a movie I check out in theaters or not though.

#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I didn't care for the trailer, I don't think I could be less hyped. I'll continue to keep an eye on it though, because I'd really like to see a good Superman movie.

#50 Posted by Chaser324 (6739 posts) -

I'm definitely interested, but not entirely convinced yet.

With Snyder at the helm, I know that the film will at the very least be a visual spectacle worth seeing...regardless of how much he might overuse speed ramping. It's also encouraging to see some decent names getting behind the project. The big hesitation is really just the fact that it's a Superman movie, and the Man of Steel has proven in the past to be a very difficult character to craft a compelling story around.