Has "overweight" become the new norm in the US?

• 151 results
MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By MikeJFlick

As the gap between the rich and the poor become greater, the the middle-class is being wiped out in the process due to jobs disappearing because of the "job creators" cheaper food becomes the food of choice, and cheap food is packed with fats, chemicals and by-products this is pretty much is the reason why americans are fat, most people I'm sure would prefer a nice slab of lean beef, but settle the cheap and fast mc fatties value menu instead.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#102  Edited By pyromagnestir

@JasonR86:

He's also like 6'5" which changes things a bit.

Wait why am I getting caught up in this? Someone finally posted Baby Got Back I've no reason to be here anymore.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By JasonR86

@pyromagnestir said:

@JasonR86:

Wait why am I getting caught up in this? Someone finally posted Baby Got Back I've no reason to be here anymore.

The picture below is of a man who is 5'11", weighs 206 lbs, and has a BMI of 28.7 (just below the obesity range of 30 or above).

No Caption Provided
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

@imsh_pl said:

The major cause of the overweight epidemic in the US is the fact that the US government strongly subsidises corn and puts a lot of regulations on sugar which makes sweetening everything with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar much cheaper. The corn syrup is really shitty for your health: it limits the amount of insulin your body can produce which decreases your metabolism and makes it hard to regulate appetite.

It's not like americans have 'bad genetics' for maintaining fitness or something.

Then you have the fact that the Government up and one day changed the metric by which people are graded in the grand scale of fatness its all about height to weight ratio now people that work out every day but have certain height to weight ratios are now considered overweight and even obese you literally have to have no muscle or fat in your body to be considered ""normal"" per government guidelines.

I have a friend whom was denied entrance into the marines because of his height weight ratio he works out every day and is in prime health according to his physician but because his BMI wasn't below 30% he was denied.

Also you have the fact the lipid hypothesis is false yet it is pushed forth by the government and most doctors that fat and meat are horrible and we should all eat more and more grains and more and more unnatural plant derived oils and fats, Carbs and chemically derived plant fats and oils weren't a major part of the human diet for along long time, yet now they are and we have sky rocketed heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Zlimness

@thabigred said:

@Zlimness said:

@EpicSteve said:

@Zlimness said:

@NiKva said:

@EpicSteve said:

@thabigred said:

I workout 7 days a week, run a mile a day at least 4 days a week(taken a break during the holidays) and I am one of the one third of Americans considered overweight.

I'm not going to excuse my brethren eating cheezy poofs but I think the BMI scale is archaic and fucked.

It's totally your diet that's screwing you over. Not to mention your nervous system gets too wrecked with daily workouts. Try cutting two days out of the week. Actually run 1.5 or 2 miles, or run the mile fast. And look into some supplements like proteins and vitamins.

Can't tell if serious or not.

Physically fit people will be "heavy" compared to the standard BMI weight, even if their weight is mostly muscle.

Unless thabigred weights a lot because of his muscles rather than fat, everything EpicSteve wrote is dead on. Working out that much is not good for your overall health. The body need time to rest and recover. thabigred should also look into the possibility of running more than just a mile. Any reasonable young and healthy person can run 2 miles at mild pace. You can add at least 0.5 miles every week. I also think the diet is to blame if you're not losing body fat. Your diet plays a major role in losing body fat and building muscles.

BMI is not super useful for many other reasons, but for actual underweight or overweight people, it's a good indication how much off the scale they are from their ideal weight. If your BMI values says you're overweight and it's plainly obvious it's because of muscle mass and not fat, then your BMI values are not really that interesting and you probably look like The Rock.

I think BMI is a dumb way to gauge health. I just use a weight scale and a body fat percentage machine. Costs about $30. Me personally, I'm not concerned with what I should be. I'm concerned with my health goals. Right now, I'm on a mass-building diet and training routine.

I think that's a healthy perspective on this issue, that most people sadly lack. I see way to many people counting calories, looking up numbers, pushing themselves too hard and generally missing the point; what matters in the end, is that you're getting some form of satisfaction from the health benefits of physical activity, routines and nutritional diets.

1. Since I'm the person that you guys original started this string of discussion on. I do workout too much, when I stopped working out more I gained about 20 pounds of just muscle, and didn't gain any waist size. The thing is that I just like being exhausting myself working out because I have so much more energy in the rest of the day. I know it's unhealthy.

2. We should replace BMI with muslce to fat %. That would be a much more accurate gauge of the overweight epidemic, because many as the /fit/ community would call them 'Skinny fats' are actually fat but they look skinny. These people come up fine on a BMI scale but are actually worse off health wise than some people overweight on the current BMI scale.

I think the Japanese just switched to muscle fat% so it's not unheard of. At least I thought I remembered reading about them doing so in the NYT.

I think BMI is fine for a lot of cases. It's a quick way of measuring how much off the scale you are to a more ideal weight. But just like calories, you can't break down your body in raw numbers. It's just there to give a general direction. Measuring body fat is mostly useful if you're muscle building and want to define muscles. Since you're gaining weight from muscle building, it's good to know what's fat and what's muscle and how much less fat you should lose in order to define your muscles more. Measuring fat on someone who's clearly overweight has no purpose, other than perhaps convincing them it's not healthy to concist of 50% fat, if they don't like the BMI scale. I also question the reason for measuring fat on skinny people. Skinny or fat, you know if you're physically active or not.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By inkerman

Go to Australia...

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I like small butts more than big booties. Sue me.

What are we talking about?

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#108  Edited By DJJoeJoe

It is kinda interesting to see that the shift from fat being a byproduct of having wealth to fat being the byproduct of having no wealth and living off the cheaper foods which are extremely fattening now. It doesn't help that even the not so cheap foods are still fattening, and this is all outside the realm of pure fattening foods like... butter encrusted chocolate meat pies. If you aren't making an active choice to watch what you eat chances are you're eating some of the worst foods for you :( Ones that don't just make you fat, but are really shitty for your body overall.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By imsh_pl

@TooWalrus said:

@tunaburn said:

@TooWalrus: 100 years ago most people had to actually work. we didnt have computers that did it for us. people didnt have jobs where you sit at a desk for 9 hours. then lives where after those 9 hours at a desk you go home and sit 5 more at a desk or on the couch. then go to bed.

@jdh5153: It's like he says here, the sole reason for our obesity problem can't be attributed to laziness alone. As with almost every issue, the reason is somewhere in the middle. Of course there are a ton of lazy fuckers out there, but there are also a lot of parents working long hours who don't have time to devote to working out, or cooking homecooked meals every night of the week. For an individual, the issue may be as simple as "get your ass on the treadmill and eat some salad", but for an entire nation... the issue is much more complicated than you make it out to be.

Exactly. Of course that our lifestyles have become much less active, but this is true for the entire western world, and the US certainly have a disproportionate problem with obesity compared to everyone else.

@TooWalrus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@imsh_pl said:

The major cause of the overweight epidemic in the US is the fact that the US government strongly subsidises corn and puts a lot of regulations on sugar which makes sweetening everything with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar much cheaper. The corn syrup is really shitty for your health: it limits the amount of insulin your body can produce which decreases your metabolism and makes it hard to regulate appetite.

It's not like americans have 'bad genetics' for maintaining fitness or something.

The major cause is fat lazy fucks eating fast food and donuts and not working out.

Listen to this man. HE WENT TO COLLEGE! Clearly there's no correlation here. What's the only difference between society today and society a hundred years ago? A hundred years ago, everyone spent more time on the treadmill at the gym!

You can also tell by his awesome hat and an iphone 5 that he means serious business.

@WilliamRLBaker:

There are certainly many problems with the BMI index as it doesn't really differentiate between muscle mass and fat. But even if we put aside the idea that in the US the 'standard' BMI index is artificially low as you say (I'll have to take your word on that) I believe that the US still has a disproportionate overweight/obesity problem.

SL68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SL68

Well, since I'm still limited to 5 posts a day, I can't reply to every single post in this thread. Rather, I'll give you some concrete examples of what I mean, but first about BMI and food:

BMI is a good method as long as you combine it with common sense. If you're into heavy training, then don't use BMI. Also, look at your body. Do you have small fat rolls on your stomach? A little double chin? Then you're overweight. Even though BMI is good for most people, it's not just all about numbers.

About food, I think you can eat pretty much whatever you want as long as you get rid of all the energy that you stuff yourself with! THAT'S what's important. People today barely move anything at all. They drive to work, they sit in front of a computer at work, and when they get home they sit in front of the TV. That's a very unhealthy lifestyle and humans weren't made to sit still all day. MOVE, people, MOVE! :-)

The concrete examples, then...

Here we have Penelope Cruz, a European actress, and Kim Kardashian, a popular (what is she?) in the US:

http://oi47.tinypic.com/3ztkj.jpg

I wouldn't say any of them have especially much overweight on their upper bodies - they're both slim. However, the butt differs a lot. I'm pretty sure some people will call Penelope's butt "bony" and "she has the butt of a teenage boy", while praising Kim for having junk in her trunk and "something to grab onto" and all that.

Also, a conrete example between a Japanese made video game heroine and a heroine made for the US market:

http://oi49.tinypic.com/35mii39.jpg

Again, neither of them is fat. Their bodies are slim and in shape. However, their butts differ a lot. If I'm not mistaken, Chloe's ass friggin' JIGGLES when she runs because it's so plump. And because Vanessa's butt is small and tight, the general American probably see it as "bony" and ugly because it doesn't look like twin airbags like Chloe's booty.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@DJJoeJoe said:

It is kinda interesting to see that the shift from fat being a byproduct of having wealth to fat being the byproduct of having no wealth and living off the cheaper foods which are extremely fattening now. It doesn't help that even the not so cheap foods are still fattening, and this is all outside the realm of pure fattening foods like... butter encrusted chocolate meat pies. If you aren't making an active choice to watch what you eat chances are you're eating some of the worst foods for you :( Ones that don't just make you fat, but are really shitty for your body overall.

Yeah the idea that once precious fat, that was of high value for humanity (and thus I suppose makes stuff taste good) has become an actual first world problem is interesting.

I think for America the problem is that a large percentage of the population grows up with this extremely unhealthy, fat food. Humans simply adept their taste to what they're eating the most, thus it's unfortunately way harder for these folks, who are already a bit more predestined to be overweight, to change their type of food intake. I remember a reddit thread about school lunch and when I saw what garbage is served for many schools in the USA I shook my head. I mean a bunch of fat pizza with a chocolate milk seems to be normal :/

Of course the problem is worldwide. I mean I'm German and I grew up eating low amounts of fat food overall. Thus I cannot just go and buy cheap Pizza here and there because the amount of cheese is often disgusting to me. Same goes for stuff like potato salad from the supermarket which has ridiculous much mayonnaise in it.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By PhilipDuck

Woman with big asses are much better, in proportion with their body it looks great, Kim K is fine, am not a huge fan of really thin girls, they just look like kids... nothing to them! They gotta have someit on them :p

(I'm from UK so maybe it's my warped fat person mind...)

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By solidlife

Nothing better than waking up to a Big ol' Booty, Nothing has changed men have always liked a full bodied women.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Owlhead

@SL68: Dude, is this seriously what has you bent outa shape? They both look good to me. I think you're nit-picking and looking for attention.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Jeez, I thought I had an unhealthy obsession with butts.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Ducksworth

I skipped from the first post to the last page, so (correct me if I'm wrong but) the conversation is now about how much junk should be in a woman's trunk?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Grillbar

@SL68 said:

Another example is sexual preferences. On American message boards, I often see people praising the huge asses of celebrities such as Kim Kardashian.

think they just mean that kim kardashian is a huge ass

but to each there own. personally i dont like it if they are to big but at the same time its nice if they actually have curves and they are not so skinny that you mistake then for a climbing wall, you dont know if that there hip sticking out or a place to rest your foot while scaling her.

okay that sounded weird but still

rabbithearted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By rabbithearted

I love this topic because it's clear at least the OP has absolutely no idea about women's bodies or women's health and it talking out of their (possibly boney) ass.

If you're Penelope Cruz, no matter how much you work out or eat you're not going to get a Kardashian butt. That shit's genetics/luck/blessings from the butt gods/implants.

Seriously, SL68: If you want to discuss obesity in America you're better off talking about things that aren't sexualized. The Kardashians, any of the characters you posted, etc. aren't fat. They have (arguably) big butts. That has nothing to do with obesity and everything to do with the fact sex sells. (Some) Men also like big breasts--which are made of fat--but I'm pretty sure no one would draw the conclusion that because big boobs are popular it's normalizing obesity.

Also obesity is an issue in most first-world nations. America has a problem with it, yes, but beyond the tiny and often-mocked fat-positive movement, I don't see the majority of people accepting of it. People are becoming fatter, but people still hate fat. That's why dieting is such a popular past time here--the desire to be thin and the lack of education about how to actually achieve a healthy body.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Oh god, why does this thread still exist?

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By renmckormack

I actually heard a report that obesity rates were decreasing in i US kids this year. Here is the report written in foreign European English and not AMURICAN. For your review. I think a bunch of people have said that the corn subsides are a problem. That's def part of it.

Another problem is single parent families and high costs for healthy food compared with the ease/cheapness or takeout food/bad food. Also, kids have WAY more distractions to keep them sedentary than ever. Even compared to like 10 years ago, everyone is hella scared of lettin kids just walk down to the park and play because this of the scare culture created by the 24 hour news cycle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9766769/US-childhood-obesity-rate-drops.html

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@SL68: I was willing to hear you out until you spoke of big booty in a derogatory manner.

Kill that noise, son.

I want big booty bitches.

EDIT: oh, also it's because different viewpoints of the world.

ALL I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAYYY IS A BIG BOOTY HOE, ALL I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAY IS A BIG BOOTY HOE 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By beforet

So...what's the complaint here? This started off as a conversation on fat being normalized, which can be a potentially interesting discussion on societal views on attractiveness, but now it's about how Americans seem to prefer big asses. So what? What does that have to do with being overweight? If you consider that overweight because it's excess fat, okay, why does that matter then? Should a person just have no fat period? I'm not sure I understand your definition of "overweight." Also, when presenting your examples, why are you putting words into Americans mouths with lines like "she has the butt of a teenage boy"? Usually when people call Strawman they have no idea what the phrase mean, but this seems like a pretty clear case of it here.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By renmckormack

is this /fit/ where AM I OH GOD!

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Owlhead

Hey, if you look at SL68's profile, his only wiki point is for editing "Butt Jiggle" as a concept. I get the feeling you've spent a lot of time looking at vidya-game butts, are upset that slightly SLIGHTLY larger is the current trend, and are now trying to link it to obesity in America (because only America has obesity, right?)

Next time you want to talk about butts, just go ahead an be honest about it. Maybe make a poll.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By kgb0515

This entire topic has made me feel terrible about my body. Thanks internet.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By deadmanforking

I like them big butts, and I can not lie.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By PillClinton

As a born and raised American who ardently abstains from the standard culinary fare of my home country and exercises regularly, despite having been quite the opposite for most of my earlier life, and eventually becoming a bit overweight, yes, you are absolutely correct. It's just a sad truth that the majority (that's more than 50%, but probably more like 60 to even 70%) of my fellow countrymen that I see out in the world carry more than a healthy amount of excess body fat. And forget skinny; even a healthy, fit person is somewhat of a rarity!

It's definitely the diet, mostly, obviously compounded by the (increasingly) sedentary lifestyle. I used to partake in that destructive, regressive, self-sabotaging lifestyle, but I'm genuinely proud to say that I woke the fuck up, and I see more people doing the same all the time. I have hope, then, that this is just a cultural rough spot for American culture resulting from the tremendous power gained in the last half century by Big Agriculture, subsidized by the government, and the prevalence of grains (specifically, wheat and corn, corn-derived sugar, and exclusively corn fed beef) in the standard diet. Obesity is an epidemic here, and it's a result of the wide availability and ease of access of poor food choices, and lack of nutritional education.

Only eat grass-fed beef, people, don't drink soda, don't eat mass produced "snack" foods, cut down on grain consumption, and get, like, 30 fucking minutes of exercise 2 or 3 times a week.

DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By DanteFaustEsq

@jdh5153: You sir are an asshole, for a little perspective on how hard it is to feed yourself properly I'll use my last year as an example. On the 27th of December last year I started work after having been out of work for two years in those two years I went from weighing 305 to 195-200 between the ability to workout whenever I wanted to and feed myself properly I was able to shift my eating habits and my activity level. When I started work a lot of that went away, I was making vastly less then I was getting on unemployment (an issue for an entirely different discussion) my daily expenditures jumped dramatically due to my commute to and from the office however I still made a point to go to the gym on a regular basis. Sadly that was just something that I couldn't keep up with my finances the way they were. I had to start eating cheep fast food and even with the gym it I couldn't keep up with the crap I was ingesting there was a period of 3 months that my old roommate moved out and I was paying for rent on my own, for those 3 months I had to live off of the crappy food that was provided in my office because I didn't make enough to properly feed myself and pay rent. On the one year anniversary since I started working again I've gained a third of the weight I loss, not because I was lazy not because I couldn't help but eat the crap that I did but because financially I couldn't afford to feed myself anything but garbage and I am fully aware I was eating garbage but it was either eat that or starve. Long story short (too late) it's not as easy as you think it is to just lose weight, and my story is just one of may reasons some people find it hard to lose weight.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By jdh5153

@DanteFaustEsq said:

@jdh5153: You sir are an asshole, for a little perspective on how hard it is to feed yourself properly I'll use my last year as an example. On the 27th of December last year I started work after having been out of work for two years in those two years I went from weighing 305 to 195-200 between the ability to workout whenever I wanted to and feed myself properly I was able to shift my eating habits and my activity level. When I started work a lot of that went away, I was making vastly less then I was getting on unemployment (an issue for an entirely different discussion) my daily expenditures jumped dramatically due to my commute to and from the office however I still made a point to go to the gym on a regular basis. Sadly that was just something that I couldn't keep up with my finances the way they were. I had to start eating cheep fast food and even with the gym it I couldn't keep up with the crap I was ingesting there was a period of 3 months that my old roommate moved out and I was paying for rent on my own, for those 3 months I had to live off of the crappy food that was provided in my office because I didn't make enough to properly feed myself and pay rent. On the one year anniversary since I started working again I've gained a third of the weight I loss, not because I was lazy not because I couldn't help but eat the crap that I did but because financially I couldn't afford to feed myself anything but garbage and I am fully aware I was eating garbage but it was either eat that or starve. Long story short (too late) it's not as easy as you think it is to just lose weight, and my story is just one of may reasons some people find it hard to lose weight.

You're making excuses. Are the poor people in Africa fat asses?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@JasonR86 said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@JasonR86:

The picture below is of a man who is 5'11", weighs 206 lbs, and has a BMI of 28.7 (just below the obesity range of 30 or above).

No Caption Provided

America uses >30 for morbid obesity? I use >25 for being overweight, but you also need to take waist-circumference along with it. BMI is just a simple and fast way to classify weight.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#131  Edited By JasonR86

@TrafalgarLaw said:

@JasonR86 said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@JasonR86:

No Caption Provided

America uses >30 for morbid obesity? I use >25 for being overweight, but you also need to take waist-circumference along with it. BMI is just a simple and fast way to classify weight.

Yeah, my BMI is 30.7, which is obese according to webmd but my waist-to-height ratio is .48 which is considered healthy (anything under .50 is healthy). I'm not against the use of the BMI at all just that it is only one tool and shouldn't be considered as the be all end all measurement for one's health.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By mandude

I've been living here a year, and while you definitely see bigger people here, I don't think that the ideals are any different, nor do they define being overweight as "healthy".

I know a lot of people have mentioned corn subsidies and all that, but I also think that the infrastructure for a healthy lifestyle isn't there, either. In Ireland, I walked for at least 10 kilometers a day, and I did it for fun. I could do this in the rural Cork and Kerry mountains, or I could do it in Dublin City, and it was always just as fun to me. In America, the estate I live in doesn't even have paths. I have to walk with the cars just to get to one, and when I'm on one, I'm stopped every few minutes by a traffic light, which always favours traffic over pedestrians. The only grass I see is in people's front gardens or behind locked fences, and as such it's hard to come by people who play sports.

Eventually I stopped walking altogether. The reason I exercise now, isn't because it's a byproduct of something I enjoy doing; it's something I do simply to keep fit.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By KittyVonDoom

"New"?

I try not to discriminate people for their weight, but one thing that does irk me are the overweight section that claim they "can't lose weight because they love good food too much". Really? I thought it was all the junk food you ate. Good food is not bad for you! This is not semantics :|

DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DanteFaustEsq

@jdh5153: Yep my detailed recounting of my last 12 months is an excuse, I should have bought that summer squash and whole wheat pasta with my non existent money. Listen you clearly have no concept of what I've been through over the last year, so you should really stop commenting on it. I'm getting back on track, I will lose the weight again, and simply used my anecdotal experience as a counterpoint to your rather short sighted view of the situation. That being said I also don't really need to justify anything to you as well, I'm getting back to what I did for myself and in the long run that's all that really matters. Also to answer your question no the "poor" people in Africa are not "fat asses" the are malnourished and sometimes starving to death besides a whole host of other factors both political and disease oriented, also next time you want your argument to have a little more weight try comparing America to a country with equal socioeconomic footing.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By KittyVonDoom

@MikeJFlick said:

As the gap between the rich and the poor become greater, the the middle-class is being wiped out in the process due to jobs disappearing because of the "job creators" cheaper food becomes the food of choice, and cheap food is packed with fats, chemicals and by-products this is pretty much is the reason why americans are fat, most people I'm sure would prefer a nice slab of lean beef, but settle the cheap and fast mc fatties value menu instead.

Last time I checked, lentils and frozen vegetables were actually cheaper than the canned/frozen TV dinner. The problem is a lack of proper education on nutrition. Someone either chooses the junk option, or just doesn't know any better.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By jdh5153

@KittyVonDoom said:

@MikeJFlick said:

Last time I checked, lentils and frozen vegetables were actually cheaper than the canned/frozen TV dinner. The problem is a lack of proper education on nutrition. Someone either chooses the junk option, or just doesn't know any better.

QFT. It's not the food's fault, it's the person eating it. You want to be lazy and live off of microwavable frozen food (hot pockets), oh and that's not your fault either, that's because there's not enough time in the day. And work out? Ha. You wouldn't dare work out 20 minutes a day...I mean you need that 20 minutes to play video games right? Much more important. Heck the time spent on this forum making excuses as to why fat people are fat could be better spent running a mile. Then make a salad, eat some fruit, drink water. Hey guess what, water is cheaper than soda / juice, any other sugar filled shit that is forcing itself down your throat making you fat.

DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By DanteFaustEsq

@jdh5153: Just going to gloss over that whole Africa thing right? I know a lot of thin starving people who are constantly running triathlons because, you know since they're thin they have so much energy and aren't lazy. Since we're playing the generalization game as well, I can assume that you are a privileged egocentric guy who loves madden every roster change/year and is right about everything he speaks about. I've never argued that there aren't lazy fat people I've simply argued that there are a plethora of other issues that cause ones decent into weight gain. Honestly the only thing that you've shown me over our dealings is that my initial assertion that you are in fact an asshole is true, and with that I've spent my two cents on not only the subject but you.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By jdh5153

@DanteFaustEsq said:

@jdh5153: Just going to gloss over that whole Africa thing right? I know a lot of thin starving people who are constantly running triathlons because, you know since they're thin they have so much energy and aren't lazy. Since we're playing the generalization game as well, I can assume that you are a privileged egocentric guy who loves madden every roster change/year and is right about everything he speaks about. I've never argued that there aren't lazy fat people I've simply argued that there are a plethora of other issues that cause ones decent into weight gain. Honestly the only thing that you've shown me over our dealings is that my initial assertion that you are in fact an asshole is true, and with that I've spent my two cents on not only the subject but you.

Cool story, next you're going to tell me that it's not a smoker's fault that they smoke. Nothing makes someone fat other than eating like a fat ass and not exercising. I'm sorry people want to tell you otherwise so they don't hurt your feelings "oh it's genetic" but it's a simple matter really.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By pyrodactyl

@jdh5153: @DanteFaustEsq:

The reason why you won't agree, ever, in the first minute of the video

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140  Edited By wrighteous86

@jdh5153 said:

@DanteFaustEsq said:

Cool story, next you're going to tell me that it's not a smoker's fault that they smoke. Nothing makes someone fat other than eating like a fat ass and not exercising. I'm sorry people want to tell you otherwise so they don't hurt your feelings "oh it's genetic" but it's a simple matter really.

Tell that to my uncle who was in shape before suffering from a muscular degenerative disorder, who was forced to take steroids that made him balloon up. There are other reasons someone may be overweight, even if it's temporarily. Sleep disorders, depression, thyroid disorders, metabolism disorders. They are fairly uncommon, but they exist.

EDIT: That's why it sucks to just label people. Sure, there are weak-willed people, or people who made life choices you don't approve of, but there are some genuine victims out there.

And to your deleted response "Fat people are disgusting douches", get over yourself. You're not impressing anyone.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#141  Edited By Milkman
MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By MikeJFlick

@KittyVonDoom: Yes, there are other alternatives, but do they have multi-million dollar advertisements being blazed into their heads 24/7? How many fast-food joints in your area or quick-marts do you know of that offer an actual healthy choice at a lower-price? Last time I checked you can buy yourself a bag of frozen peas cheaper than a box of hot-pockets, but does that constitute a meal?(not saying hot-pockets do) by time you buy everything else needed for a meal you are spending more then the cheap-fatty alternative.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By freakin9

New? You must be young, Americans being overweight has been the norm for quite some time. Though that's not to say it's socially acceptable.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#144  Edited By s10129107

I think youre wrong. Its an inaccurate stereotype and your anecdotal evidence is just that.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Jams

@Milkman said:

Oh god why did I sit through 90% of that video. Especially when it got to the Nicki Minaj part. Is it just her thing to rhyme the same words together?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#146  Edited By mikemcn

All americans are not fat and you're are holding up a stereotype, way to be that asshole.

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Aterons

Got a really bad experience as the only 2 Americans I meet were about 10 years ago when for some fucking reason they came here as head of their " kids have ideas that are good give us donation " project, thingy... because our team won the "contest". God were they fat.. none I saw here was 2/3 as fat as the guy ( he was also bold and black... i almost wanted to laugh at how "stereotypical American in Europeans vision" he looked ), the women was even bigger... her face looked like fucking Jaba, tho i saw other almost as fat women 1 or 2 times, i guess menopause+baby can be a factor in old women being fat so.

But overall in youtube, news and other media i didn't saw a huge load of overweight Americans and never thought it was a "good" thing in the USA to be fat, still seems like you get shit for it. Overall, i believe people are reading into numbers to much, the main reason for the statistic overweight is the fact that we now have more old people than ever before and a lot more office worker... the 2 combined add a lot to the "weight" a population has, but overall i don't believe it's an "epidemic" anywhere.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Sursh

america is the fat kid laden on the puny tricycle being towed via rope by the much older kids in a bike race; he has self esteem issues, you don't want to exclude the little fucking fatty.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By PillClinton

@Mikemcn said:

All americans are not fat and you're are holding up a stereotype, way to be that asshole.

He didn't say all American are fat; he asked if overweight is the norm, and honestly, from what I see at least, it totally is. I see more overweight people than thin people. Simple as that.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#150  Edited By mikemcn

@PillClinton said:

@Mikemcn said:

He didn't say all American are fat; he asked if overweight is the norm, and honestly, from what I see at least, it totally is. I see more overweight people than thin people. Simple as that.

By saying it's the norm it is implied that the majority are overweight. That could mean 51% or 99%. If he's leaning towards the latter, I find that incredibly ignorant, and he effectively means all americans. If he took the time to google some statistics on the obesity issue he may very well see that it is the norm, but instead he came here to stir up the "fat american" stereotype.

All evidence in this thread is purely anecdotal at best, and much of it is shit like this where a non-american's only experience with americans happens to be fat people...

@Aterons said:

Got a really bad experience as the only 2 Americans I meet were about 10 years ago when for some fucking reason they came here as head of their " kids have ideas that are good give us donation " project, thingy... because our team won the "contest". God were they fat.. none I saw here was 2/3 as fat as the guy ( he was also bold and black... i almost wanted to laugh at how "stereotypical American in Europeans vision" he looked ), the women was even bigger... her face looked like fucking Jaba, tho i saw other almost as fat women 1 or 2 times, i guess menopause+baby can be a factor in old women being fat so.

Stereotypes persist because people put too much weight on single past experiences versus the bigger picture.