• 169 results
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Example1013
@mrv321: Few people want to use websites to get troubleshooting for their computers. They'd rather go to a brick & mortar. Apple has stores nearly everywhere that you can drive to and get free troubleshooting. I've never seen nor heard of Loco's, link to their website?

There are some people who, yes, believe it or not, can't actually figure out how to set up user accounts. Or rather, they don't want to. For these people, they'd rather just go to the Apple store and get it all set up there. Not everyone enjoys figuring out how to do something for themselves.

As to the antenna issue, that was a design flaw, not a result of poor materials or construction (per se). It wasn't an error on the manufacturer's part, it was an error on the designer's part. Still Apple's fault, but not because the hardware was shoddily made.

All companies have a small percentage of hardware failures. They're called factory defects. As a show of good service, most companies (including Apple) replace defective products for free. My mom got an iMac with a defective hard drive (it wouldn't spin up to the proper speed). The hard drive was replaced at no cost to us, and the only hassle was from loss of data. This could happen anywhere. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Apple's products are remarkably better-made than other companies. I'll tell you that they're well-made.

I'm actually going to admit that my statements on most of the OS stuff are largely wrong. In all likelihood, there are few noticeable differences between Ubuntu, WIndows, and OSX with regard to how they function for a normal user. However, that's not to say that everything is instantly solved. The interoperability with other devices (read: iPods, iPads, iPhones) that Apple provides are quite useful, alongside the free desktop support that they provide. That free desktop support means that you walk into a brick-and-mortar, as said before, and they'll help you fix your problems and get the computer set up. Most people want their computers to run themselves, and neither know nor care how to alter even the most basic system settings. Having someone else help with that is the easiest way to avoid it.

Some of  the Apple price is brand. This is true. But the same can be said for any large, famous company. Apple provides good products and superb services. Even iTunes support is good (and thus you get one of the advantages of going with a company that uses first-party software for many things; convenience and compatability). There are plenty of justifiable reasons to use OSX.
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Gav47

That article only takes into account for the cost of the hardware. Licenses, employee salaries, R&D costs, administrative costs, marketing costs etc. all have to come out of that price as well.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Example1013
@mrv321: As to the whole smart phone market thing: Android has the single most fractured userbase I've seen in a long time. Many people are still using Android 2.2 because of custom OEM mods that haven't been updated. There are probably at least 100 different android phone models, compared to 4 iPhone models. Android phones work with every major carrier in the U.S., while iPhone only uses 2. The differences between user experience of the different custom versions of Android (motoBlur, Sense, stock, etc. etc.) almost make it into a separate program visually. I'd be shocked if Android weren't the leading smart phone OS, and the fact that Apple was in first for years while only being on one carrier is quite amusing.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I don't have any actual beef with Apple, I just think they are a pretty boring. I like the way they look, but a lot of their interface stuff has been simplified to the extent that it's almost condescending. I have also had a couple of really shitty experiences with Apple products breaking just weeks after the warranty expired, leaving me with faulty products and extortionate repair costs. Oh, and I fucking hate their smug marketing campaigns.

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S II android phone and it's fucking sexy. Haven't had a single problem with it so far, and it makes me wonder why people get so hyped about the iPhone considering there are so many sleek, not to mention cheaper, alternatives.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By penguindust

I have an Ipod 5th Gen Video.  I like it.  I had something else before it.  It was harder to work with than my Ipod 3rd Gen.  When my 5th Gen breaks, I'll probably get an Ipod Touch.  I'm too lazy to learn something else now and all my songs are in Itunes.  I won't switch to Macbook for the same reason.  Pure laziness.  I don't hate Apple any more than I hate Microsoft which is nil. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d: Honestly the UI of Apple is just kind of jarring to a PC user due to the visual differences, rather than functional ones. The lack of a start menu is probably one of the biggest humps to get over, I'd imagine, since rather than going to a list of programs on the start menu, the programs are actually in their own folder.

Really none of the OSes are that different, I'd imagine.
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mrv321
@example1013 said:

@mrv321: Few people want to use websites to get troubleshooting for their computers. They'd rather go to a brick & mortar. Apple has stores nearly everywhere that you can drive to and get free troubleshooting. I've never seen nor heard of Loco's, link to their website?

There are some people who, yes, believe it or not, can't actually figure out how to set up user accounts. Or rather, they don't want to. For these people, they'd rather just go to the Apple store and get it all set up there. Not everyone enjoys figuring out how to do something for themselves.

As to the antenna issue, that was a design flaw, not a result of poor materials or construction (per se). It wasn't an error on the manufacturer's part, it was an error on the designer's part. Still Apple's fault, but not because the hardware was shoddily made.

All companies have a small percentage of hardware failures. They're called factory defects. As a show of good service, most companies (including Apple) replace defective products for free. My mom got an iMac with a defective hard drive (it wouldn't spin up to the proper speed). The hard drive was replaced at no cost to us, and the only hassle was from loss of data. This could happen anywhere. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Apple's products are remarkably better-made than other companies. I'll tell you that they're well-made.

I'm actually going to admit that my statements on most of the OS stuff are largely wrong. In all likelihood, there are few noticeable differences between Ubuntu, WIndows, and OSX with regard to how they function for a normal user. However, that's not to say that everything is instantly solved. The interoperability with other devices (read: iPods, iPads, iPhones) that Apple provides are quite useful, alongside the free desktop support that they provide. That free desktop support means that you walk into a brick-and-mortar, as said before, and they'll help you fix your problems and get the computer set up. Most people want their computers to run themselves, and neither know nor care how to alter even the most basic system settings. Having someone else help with that is the easiest way to avoid it.

Some of  the Apple price is brand. This is true. But the same can be said for any large, famous company. Apple provides good products and superb services. Even iTunes support is good (and thus you get one of the advantages of going with a company that uses first-party software for many things; convenience and compatability). There are plenty of justifiable reasons to use OSX.

' Few people want to use websites to get troubleshooting for their computers. They'd rather go to a brick & mortar. Apple has stores nearly everywhere that you can drive to and get free?' If you don't have a car and there's no apple store in your area/city your suggesting I carry a 27inch iMAC 60 miles to my nearest store instead of googling 'How to install flash?' well ok then... that's free. Also loco

http://loco.ubuntu.com/ basically a genius bar but for linux guys and you can probablyr ring them up. Or if you have other problems 
http://ubuntuforums.org/

' here are some people who, yes, believe it or not, can't actually figure out how to set up user accounts. Or rather, they don't want to.' If they can't figure it out then OS X really sucks if it's complicated to work out stuff like that. Never blame the consumer.

' As to the antenna issue, that was a design flaw, not a result of poor materials or construction' It kinda was a hardware issue, I mean it afterall was the materials that caused the problem... I also listed other problems what are they? False or do you not want to admit apple makes shoddy products also?

'  This could happen anywhere. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Apple's products are remarkably better-made than other companies. I'll tell you that they're well-made.'- WHAT? If you had problems they are poorly made, my 10 year old medion PC hasn't broken, runs daily doing server stuff... so Medion>Apple. Agreed? Cool.

' The interoperability with other devices (read: iPods, iPads, iPhones) that Apple provides are quite useful' I'm forced to buy apple product now, cool. Ubuntu works with pretty much everything it can, heck you have to have the iPhone to allow it to work with other stuff, that's hardly interoperability if you ask me. 

' In all likelihood, there are few noticeable differences between Ubuntu, WIndows, and OSX' HAVE YOU USED UBUNTU+GNOME 3? It's drastically different... try them, because you talk about them. I posted a link... try it. Gnome 3 is user friendly, quick, stable, looks good, not a ram hog.

' that Apple provides are quite useful, alongside the free desktop support that they provide. That free desktop support' Ubuntu provides a useful free OS support and a free OS.

'
Having someone else help with that is the easiest way to avoid it.' I have to rely on someone else to use my product, that sounds like awful design, do I have to go to an apple store to ring someone now? Because my antenna doesn't work, will I have to go to their store to use the power buttton, If at any point during a products lifespan you have to go to a store to fix a softwere issue, then the product is a FAILURE.

'
Apple provides good products and superb services. Even iTunes support is good' iTunes it's almost as bad a real player. People jumped with joy about Amazon cloud music, and googles and Ubuntu's service, ITUNES SUCKS. Try and sync two computers to one iPod. Dare you. It's a stupid product, it's one of the worst music managers in the worlds. It's not good. 
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By napalm
@Atramentous said:
better question is why do people "hate" things they dont care for. Isnt it possible to not buy the products without trying to start some internet crusade about how rotten a company is for not tailoring a product to your needs? 
Steve Jobs has personally raped the mothers of all those who dislike Apple. Of course they are going to royally hate Apple. Their mother has been raped!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Example1013
@Sweep said:
I don't have any actual beef with Apple, I just think they are a pretty boring. I like the way they look, but a lot of their interface stuff has been simplified to the extent that it's almost condescending. I have also had a couple of really shitty experiences with Apple products breaking just weeks after the warranty expired, leaving me with faulty products and extortionate repair costs. Oh, and I fucking hate their smug marketing campaigns.

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S II android phone and it's fucking sexy. Haven't had a single problem with it so far, and it makes me wonder why people get so hyped about the iPhone considering there are so many sleek, not to mention cheaper, alternatives.
The 4th gen iPhones are also pretty shitty in that they're made of glass on both the front and back, and break ridiculously easily. I'd never want an iPhone 4 because I know I'd shatter it in an instant. Glass is a really nice sort of "premium" touch, but that's too much money to spend for less structural integrity.

Do you know that there was actually an issue a while back where Apple decertified and took off the shelves slide-on cases for the iPhone 4s because sand was getting into the cases, scratching the backs of the phones, and then the phones were shattering?
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

B.

I would do the same.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Aus_azn

I hate Apple. But they're undoubtedly marketing geniuses. You've gotta give them credit for that.

mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mrv321
@example1013 said:
@mrv321: As to the whole smart phone market thing: Android has the single most fractured userbase I've seen in a long time. Many people are still using Android 2.2 because of custom OEM mods that haven't been updated. There are probably at least 100 different android phone models, compared to 4 iPhone models. Android phones work with every major carrier in the U.S., while iPhone only uses 2. The differences between user experience of the different custom versions of Android (motoBlur, Sense, stock, etc. etc.) almost make it into a separate program visually. I'd be shocked if Android weren't the leading smart phone OS, and the fact that Apple was in first for years while only being on one carrier is quite amusing.
Apple choose not to release their phone on more than one carrier for such a long time, how is that anyway Androids fault? Apple choose not release their OS to other manafacturers, how is that Android fault. You also have FREEDOM on Android, you can update your phone, flash it, custom roms... etc. The stock experience is fine for most people, the power users have THE CHOICE to install custom ROMS.

Apple was first for years, they lost it. Becuase they are stubborn and don't allow openness at all. It's APPLES fault.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Example1013
@mrv321: when I say desktop support, I mean an actual person to troubleshoot. It's what I do at my job (that I'm not working at right now). They have techs at the stores who do that. Loco may be a good service, but face-to-face is often more convenient. Apple also has a good staff for e-mail and phone support, so it's more the 3 options that are useful.

The point I'm making with interoperability with the iPhone is that you can buy the two devices and they function perfectly together. You've got a smartphone that integrates seamlessly with the desktop. I'd imagine this is similar to what we'll see when Chrome OS comes out, with Android phones having native support built into the OS.

And as I've been saying, reliance on someone else isn't necessary, it's convenient. I'm not saying that people can't do things on their own, I'm saying many don't want to. They don't want to bother learning how to do this and that.

iTunes is in need of a redesign to accomodate sharing iPods. There are issues with the whole system, to be sure. It's definitely outdated, because it was designed back in what, 2001? But the concept itself (native support for a mobile device and a single unified system) is a really good idea.

Medion may very well be better than Apple. I'm not making a comparison judgment other than that it's not cheap, easily broken shit (except for the iPhone 4, but that's still not cheap, easily broken shit, it's expensive, easily broken shit).
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By gamefreak9
@Sweep said:

lol i've had a similar experience with my sisters macbook... errors and problems like a month after warranty expired.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By nickux

Apple hate makes no sense to me. It's a company. Buy their products if you like them, don't buy them if you don't. Who cares? 

For me, Apple products have consistently been worth the price. My 2007 Macbook runs exactly as it did the day I opened it. Can't say the same for the two Windows PCs the rest of the family has gone through since then. Likewise, my iPhone outperforms my girlfriend's Blackberry when it comes to getting things done. She's always deferring to me to look things up because her phone is useless. And iPods became so popular because they were a good product at the perfect time. I tend to price PCs and spec them out comparably to the Mac I want and the costs aren't that far off, in my experience. 

EDIT: The big thing people tend to forget when they factor in the cost of an Apple product is the service and support. Again, my 2007 Macbook has been out of warranty for a long time and I've still taken it to the Apple store and been given incredible (free) support including hardware fixes (the plastic around my keyboard had a crack in it). 
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By recroulette

If I ever need another MP3 player I just hunt down old iPod Nanos on ebay.

I go through like one a year.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Example1013
@mrv321 said:
@example1013 said:
Apple choose not to release their phone on more than one carrier for such a long time, how is that anyway Androids fault? Apple choose not release their OS to other manafacturers, how is that Android fault. You also have FREEDOM on Android, you can update your phone, flash it, custom roms... etc. The stock experience is fine for most people, the power users have THE CHOICE to install custom ROMS.Apple was first for years, they lost it. Becuase they are stubborn and don't allow openness at all. It's APPLES fault.
Lol I'm not upset over Android. I was simply pointing out that Apple was the most popular for a long time, because you said Apple isn't popular at all. I was also pointing out that Android is largely splintered in many directions. Also, FREEDOM only helps power users. If you went up to the average smart phone owner and started talking about custom roms and flashing, they'd probably give you a blank stare, and might call the police on you for indecent exposure.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By gamefreak9
@example1013
Oh gawd, i hate Itunes... i haven't updated my ipod in 4 years because i dread dealing with Itunes... i remember it took like 30 min to open up because it had to go through my 50k songs one by one...
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mrv321
@example1013 said:
@mrv321: when I say desktop support, I mean an actual person to troubleshoot. It's what I do at my job (that I'm not working at right now). They have techs at the stores who do that. Loco may be a good service, but face-to-face is often more convenient. Apple also has a good staff for e-mail and phone support, so it's more the 3 options that are useful.

The point I'm making with interoperability with the iPhone is that you can buy the two devices and they function perfectly together. You've got a smartphone that integrates seamlessly with the desktop. I'd imagine this is similar to what we'll see when Chrome OS comes out, with Android phones having native support built into the OS.

And as I've been saying, reliance on someone else isn't necessary, it's convenient. I'm not saying that people can't do things on their own, I'm saying many don't want to. They don't want to bother learning how to do this and that.

iTunes is in need of a redesign to accomodate sharing iPods. There are issues with the whole system, to be sure. It's definitely outdated, because it was designed back in what, 2001? But the concept itself (native support for a mobile device and a single unified system) is a really good idea.

Medion may very well be better than Apple. I'm not making a comparison judgment other than that it's not cheap, easily broken shit (except for the iPhone 4, but that's still not cheap, easily broken shit, it's expensive, easily broken shit).
The iPod touch's aren't much better because the headphone jacks ALWAYS break. ALWAYS.

Loco's meet face to face also ;)

You have a Apple smartphone that works well with Apple desktop. I don't really go around shouting that Ford is great because the wheel interoperates with the tyres it's to be expected. Apple products don't work near aswell with non-apple products. Ubuntu works as well as it can with as much as it can. How is driving somewhere convient? If I have an internet connection I use that first. Ubuntu also has a smart back-up which will back-up your entire OS, if one thing breaks, pop-in your back up disk and you'll have it working again, all clear as day... does MAC also have that.

MY QUESTION TO YOU IS; WHICH LINUX BASED OS's HAVE YOU USED? WHICH ONES EXACTLY AND WHEN? You seem to avoid this question.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Example1013
@mrv321: Headphone jacks are a problem, this is true.

And I'm not denying that Apple products work poorly with non-Apple products. That 'd be a poor business decision! But they work great with other Apple products, which is the point. The analogy of tires to a car doesn't really work, because the car doesn't really work without the tires. An iPod isn't essential.

Look, I'm not trying to list universalities here. I'm trying to generalize the average experience with Apple across all their products into posts shorter than a page long. There are problems with the company and the stuff they make. That's true for every company. Hell, I almost was going to get a new computer because the headphone jack is wired directly to the logic board, and I got the tip of a 3.5mm plug stuck in there when it broke off of my earbuds. A new logic board costs $1200, which is about as much as a new computer.

Ubuntu and such are also good options for OSes, but they don't provide the same experience as Apple, which is some pretty good stock programs that sync up the computer to the other devices, and such. There are issues connecting a device to more than one computer (in fact, you can't sync an iPod with more than one). Ubuntu looks to me to be a fine OS. I've used  Apple products for years, though, and I have no trouble dealing with them. I enjoy plugging in my iPod and syncing up my music. I enjoy playing around with the iOS and Mac OS SDKs. I enjoy running games on WIndows. It's a viable service. I'm not going to sit here and call Apple the hands-down best company product-wise (although I might support-wise), but the products are certainly good, and coupled with the services and support, are worth the price to me.

I haven't used any Linuxes. I really have had no need to. I run desktop support at the office I work at, which means I spend all my time with Windows there, and I have both Windows 7 and OSX on my laptop.

@gamefreak9: To be fair, the issue with taking a half an hour to update 50,000 songs is a hardware bottleneck that just can't be overcome. That issue is due to the fact that the USB port simply can't transfer songs at a faster rate, and thus has little to do with iTunes itself.
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mrv321
@example1013 said:

@mrv321: Headphone jacks are a problem, this is true.

And I'm not denying that Apple products work poorly with non-Apple products. That 'd be a poor business decision! But they work great with other Apple products, which is the point. The analogy of tires to a car doesn't really work, because the car doesn't really work without the tires. An iPod isn't essential.

Look, I'm not trying to list universalities here. I'm trying to generalize the average experience with Apple across all their products into posts shorter than a page long. There are problems with the company and the stuff they make. That's true for every company. Hell, I almost was going to get a new computer because the headphone jack is wired directly to the logic board, and I got the tip of a 3.5mm plug stuck in there when it broke off of my earbuds. A new logic board costs $1200, which is about as much as a new computer.

Ubuntu and such are also good options for OSes, but they don't provide the same experience as Apple, which is some pretty good stock programs that sync up the computer to the other devices, and such. There are issues connecting a device to more than one computer (in fact, you can't sync an iPod with more than one). Ubuntu looks to me to be a fine OS. I've used  Apple products for years, though, and I have no trouble dealing with them. I enjoy plugging in my iPod and syncing up my music. I enjoy playing around with the iOS and Mac OS SDKs. I enjoy running games on WIndows. It's a viable service. I'm not going to sit here and call Apple the hands-down best company product-wise (although I might support-wise), but the products are certainly good, and coupled with the services and support, are worth the price to me.

I haven't used any Linuxes. I really have had no need to. I run desktop support at the office I work at, which means I spend all my time with Windows there, and I have both Windows 7 and OSX on my laptop.

@gamefreak9: To be fair, the issue with taking a half an hour to update 50,000 songs is a hardware bottleneck that just can't be overcome. That issue is due to the fact that the USB port simply can't transfer songs at a faster rate, and thus has little to do with iTunes itself.
You said Apple products aren't shoddy... yet the headphone hacks are a problem.

So it has bad interoperability... if it only works with 1 product then it's hardly interoperable.

' Ubuntu and such are also good options for OSes, but they don't provide the same experience as Apple, which is some pretty good stock programs that sync up the computer to the other devices, and such...... 
I haven't used any Linuxes. '

Ubuntu comes stock with plenty of useful programs, a full appstore and can sync up to plenty of other devices... since you haven't used Linux why do you pretend to know it's flaws?

See, that's the problem with Apple users, they don't try new things. I spend several weekends installing new OS's simply for the sake of it, I KNEW I'd go back to Ubuntu 9.10 at the time, but did it anyway. Apple people ASSUME that it's fine atm... if you switch to Ubuntu you may noticed how much more interoperability THE OS has with itself... I DARE you to try it, it's free.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Commando

Apple is fine. I don't see why I'd ever need an iPad though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By JasonR86

They are a business charging what their user-base will pay for.  The only ones to blame for the price of Apple products are the users.  If they didn't buy those products at that price the price wouldn't be that high.  It's pretty simple really.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I still use my iMac that I bought in 2005, and it works perfectly. So I'm pretty sure it's been a good investment. 

Internet nerds are fucking retarded.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By gamefreak9
@PrivateIronTFU
I'm using the same desktop i've been using for 15 years, mines a better investment. You missed the point GTFO. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By HandsomeDead

OP is a spastic.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@gamefreak9 said:
@PrivateIronTFU
I'm using the same desktop i've been using for 15 years, mines a better investment. You missed the point GTFO. 
Don't tell me what to do, dipshit.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By iam3green

i would say hate on apple. i don't have any of their products because i have other stuff for that. instead of an ipod i have a sansa view, that i only used when i worked. i'm a CD guy. yes, i still buy CD's from like amazon, best buy. i don't see a point in buying an expensive computer when there are PC that are cheaper.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By Afroman269

I don't really care about what people think about the company, they make good products. I like my iPhone 4 and the iPods that I owned before it. I'm not interested in the Mac platform though because I prefer Windows. People just like hate on Apple because it's popular and it's easy to generalize Apple consumers as hipster douches. Reminds me of how the CoD players are all generalized to be stupid stoners and douchebag jocks. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By damnboyadvance

Apple makes high quality products, but unfortunately, they overprice it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By wefwefasdf

Apple makes great looking quality products. I own an iPhone 3GS and a MacBook Pro that I lug around everywhere. The service at the store in my city has been the best customer service I have ever gotten when it comes to getting answers and getting the problem fixed. I'll happily buy another Apple product.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By gamefreak9
@SpikeSpiegel
Not saying they aren't good products, but they are overpriced, especially if you believe in efficient living. Also i have never had contact with services so maybe i am missing a big unique selling point.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By gamefreak9

Not saying this to hate or anything its just an observation(since we are o apple topic), it probably has to do with the fact that they are more... into fashion than other people, but i think 90 per cent of the gay people i know(i know alot) prefer macs, and the 10 per cent just haven't been gay as long. 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Can I hate both?

Apple are a disgusting company, to be fair. I had an iPhone 3G for two years, and that shit just does not work properly. Constant crashes, loss of signal, the fucking thing losing contact with the SIM card, horrifically slow performance, shoddy hardware that cracks randomly, overpriced apps for functionality that should be free, no customisation. No thank you. My friends have all bought one in the last year or so, and the only justification I've heard is "because it makes you look cool." I shit you not.

I have a five year old iPod though, and that's still running fine. I don't like the look of the iPod Touch though, so I'll probably upgrade to a different MP3 player when the time comes. The iPad seems like a worthless fashion accessory.
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#85  Edited By fox01313

Although right now kinda vexed with apple due to the sorry tech support system they have setup. Noticed a problem with the current version of itunes on vista & going to support asks for the stupidest thing ever seen when having technical issues with a free piece of software: hardware serial #. Can't continue without that & last time I checked, software doesn't have a hardware serial#. Stupid geniuses at apple hard at work doing opposite of common sense.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By gamefreak9
@GunslingerPanda
Yeah, though i have never owned any other kind of Mp3 player, i have to say the IPOD is looking robust, i have that platinum cased one, i am very clumsy with my stuff sometimes and i've dropped it a few times, it works fine still, i've had it since it got launched... so 6 years(the hard case one)? Feels like these Ipods are worth their money with all this space, though after a certain point... well theres no need for so much space, and you feel like you just wasted space. What if i want to be cost efficient cash/per gig wise and not have 100 gigs?  I think the Nano's should go down to 50 bucks, i'm pretty sure that the process for making them is so standardized by now that they are getting high margins, they can probably afford to bring it down to 50. 
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

They make good products but they overprice their stuff.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Commando

My iPod is from 2004. It still works fine. It is black and white and has 20 gigs of memory for music only.
It looks like this one. It's about a half inch thick. But iPods are a quality product. I've had it for 7 years and it works perfectly.

No Caption Provided
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By gamefreak9
@Commando
Then again... we've never tested(i'm presuming) other products like these, i'm pretty sure all mp3 players are robust. Its not the quality, its the type of product. Also if i can go to the store today and buy two terras of external hardrive space, for 100 euros, i feel cheated when i remember that the first ipods had like 4 gigs(i think) of space and cost like 300-400 dollars. I'm Pretty sure that hard drive costs did not go down by 20000% per cent. in the last 7 years. 
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By DukesT3

The iMacs do look very very sexy. 

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By gamefreak9
@LooseChange
If you ever get laid just because of your computer, maybe then they are worth the price :P
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By James_ex_machina

Apple uses the same hardware that's available to PCs. It's their OS, packaging, presentation, and approach to their products that makes them different. Personally I love Apple products, but I don't go around bashing PC hardware(windows virus...I mean vista yes I bash the hell out of it). I switched to MAC when OSX took off. Although dealing with fonts sucked from that point(compared to OS9) I love OSX and the later releases. 
I've read many articles on the reasons for Apple prices. Yes Apple keeps their prices higher. The biggest reason I've read for the price difference is that MACs come with very little shareware crap. My VISTA laptop came with so many shareware and spyware from day one it barely run, but I regress, these companies pay dell, hp, etc etc a certain percentage to include their software on their PCs which drives down the price. Go to a PC seller that offers Linux as an alternative, how many charge you more for a free OS then for Windows? That's because of that added software that drives down the cost to the consumer. PC's with windows 7 run fine(my gf's laptop is a good computer). I just prefer Apple's OS and interface and standard in hardware. Years ago I was a full on PC guy. Upgrading anything and everything to run the new 3D games, but now I'd rather have a MAC and a Xbox.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By canucks23

I didn't buy my iphone to make a fashion statement... i bought it because it's a nice phone.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#94  Edited By nintendoeats

I think that Apple is evil. REALLY evil.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their products are pretty cool, yo

Also, everytime you don't buy an iPad, Steve Jobs kills a litter of kittens.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MisterChief

example1013 has been exposed to the reality distortion field.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#97  Edited By LiquidPrince

I used to think they were overpriced. Actually I still think they are very overprice, but they are also pretty awesome in many respects. I love my Macbook. 

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98  Edited By danimal_furry

I don't hate Apple so much as the people who feel everything Apple makes is leaps and bounds beyond anything else (but I don't hate those people as much as just find them annoying at times). Apple is raking in dough off of saps who think they have the best product and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Good for Apple. That is why they are a successful business. Also, they do have some really cool tech and ideas. A lot of those things end up being done better by another company. That is what competition is all about. I guess it's my friends who annoy me most because I went from Blackberry to HTC and refuse to shell out the money for an Apple. They are kind of over-priced, and I don't want to have to spend the time to figure out how to use their desktop computer. Did I mention they are over-priced? I can't afford anything Apple makes.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#99  Edited By Cube
@danimal_furry said:
I don't hate Apple so much as the people who feel everything Apple makes is leaps and bounds beyond anything else (but I don't hate those people as much as just find them annoying at times). Apple is raking in dough off of saps who think they have the best product and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Good for Apple. That is why they are a successful business. Also, they do have some really cool tech and ideas. A lot of those things end up being done better by another company. That is what competition is all about. I guess it's my friends who annoy me most because I went from Blackberry to HTC and refuse to shell out the money for an Apple. They are kind of over-priced, and I don't want to have to spend the time to figure out how to use their desktop computer. Did I mention they are over-priced? I can't afford anything Apple makes.
What about the people like me who know Apple provides a more reliable product for them? I'm not here to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I'm willing to cover the extra money if it means I won't replace my computer for a couple more years. I find it's actually PC elitists and Android enthusiasts who scoff at my purchasing decisions. If you guys enjoy your PC or Android phone, that's awesome. If it works for you, who am I to tell you different? I wish that crowd had the same courtesy. Yes, I own an iMac and an IPhone. No, that does not mean I spent money without knowing it's a technologically "inferior" product. Yes, I can also work my way around a PC. 

It's about finding what works for you.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Enigma777

I really want to vote for C but I can't help but think it's a double entendre.