Have you ever been mugged?

• 95 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Have you ever been mugged? (287 votes)

Yes 17%
No 83%

Based on this part of the Flame Over Quick Look:

One thing that struck me about Brad's story is just how blasé he sounded (although, I suppose it didn't sound too severe). I have never been involved in a mugging myself, but it seems like something that could be fairly traumatising.

So, I'm genuinely interested to know if any of you guys have been mugged, if so, how did you react?

• 
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope. There's a decent chance something violent might happen to the other person if I was.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

Fights yes, muggings no. I have seen someone robbed at gunpoint, though I doubt it was a real gun because they're really hard to get in this country.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No, I don't walk the streets at night in unknown cities. Never been in a fight either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been robbed at knifepoint four times. Only in the second case was the guy actually caught. The third incident involved the guy trying to lead me outside, when he got to the threshold of the door, I shoved him out and he cut my hand.

My city is or was and probably will return to being the Murder Capital of Canada.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nope. There's a decent chance something violent might happen to the other person if I was.

No Caption Provided

Rocko2920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am def in my left ear due to someone mugging me. They pulled out a gun and i thought i was fake so i told him to fuck off. Then he proved it was real by shooting it right beside my head and blew my ear drum.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By conmulligan

@rocko2920: Jesus, that's awful.

Some drunk dude tried to rob me once, but he was so out of if I was able to shrug him off and walk away.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@harkat: That's a pretty good picture. I look at it this way, at least where I'm from it is a rare and unique opportunity to be mugged or to witness a store being robbed, best not waste it. Now if muggings were commonplace I'd probably just move somewhere else given the opportunity.

@rocko2920: That is one one hell of a first post.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@brodehouse: I've been robbed at knife point twice and I'm also Canadian, what a fun coincidence!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole knife point phrasing is kind of amusing to me as an American.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

11 guys ran up on me and my friend. One of them socked me in the jaw but I ran my ass off to the nearby Mcdonalds. My friend got the shit beat out of him but he's not "traumatized." Bad shit happens and you move on

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep, got the shit kicked out of me one night walking home drunk, they made off with ten whole quid and i looked like a different person for a few days.

a friend of mine got dragged and kicked to a bank machine one morning by a gang of kids while waiting for his bus to work, this was in London at the time, no-one else at the bus stop even tried to help him.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@nightriff: You can be mugged in cities you do know. I was mugged two minutes from my home.

It was about 4 years ago now, it was pretty traumatic at the time, but time heals and all that.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost once. Fortunately for me I wasn't alone and the mugger was. My friends and I beat him down and then restrained him while we called the police.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole knife point phrasing is kind of amusing to me as an American.

Congratulations on your most evil post!

No Caption Provided

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, twice. We were school kids 13-15 years old and were mugged by older kids. The first time was walking through a fenced off park where a group of hooded youths stopped us and went through my friend's pockets, they took his MP3 player and some cash I think. There were like 6 of them with one on a bike so it's not like we could run and there is a high chance of getting stabbed in London.

The second time I was with another friend walking through this kind of alleyway and the guy I was with was being an idiot hitting a wall with a stick for like 5 minutes. A group of guys waiting at the bus stop saw us and crossed over the road, walked passed us, pretended to ask for the time and then went through our pockets... to find my pack of tissues. My friend had nothing with him and neither did I so they got literally nothing out of it and no one was injured. We reported it to the police immediately after and my friend drove around with an officer trying to find the bus they ran away on but didn't find anyone.

I feel like if I was mugged now as an adult I would fight back or just ignore them depending on the situation, but you never know.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. But I still want a gun.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been robbed at knifepoint four times. Only in the second case was the guy actually caught. The third incident involved the guy trying to lead me outside, when he got to the threshold of the door, I shoved him out and he cut my hand.

My city is or was and probably will return to being the Murder Capital of Canada.

I actually just straight googled Murder Capital of Canada and google gave me a proper answer. I do love this stuff. Also I find it interesting, and terrifying, how the city in Canada with the highest murder rate still has 1 less murder per 100,000 pop than the US average :/

To answer the question, not really. Some drugged up mfer tried to mug me and a mate when we were 15 but nothing came of it 'cause the dude was barely able to stand. And another time some punk punched me and told me to give him my phone and I told him to fuck off and walked away and he seemed surprised and kinda just stood there lol. I guess he either expected me to be scared and give it him or run away, or hit him back so his mates could come over and lay into me, I'm not really sure.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hah, where are you from, Surrey?

I've been pick-pocketed once, never mugged.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was mugged last year. I was walking home from a pub and checking my phone when a couple of guys (looked to be in their late teens) came up and asked why I was taking photos of them, and demanded that I hand over my phone so they could delete said photos. I argued with them for a while before it dawned upon me that I was probably being mugged (I was pretty pissed, in my defence). At that point I tried to walk away, they followed, and I thought "fuck it" and threw the phone in the canal beside us. I wasn't actually bothered about the phone itself: it was a pretty cheap handset (Moto G) that I'd only intended to use until I could afford something better, but the idea of handing over something full of personal messages, pictures etc. to a stranger is just really unsettling to me.

I guess they didn't want to have wasted their time and wanted my wallet instead, or maybe I'd just pissed them off, either way at that point things got violent. I don't remember much, but suffice to say at some point I ended up on the ground and had the shit kicked out of me. Someone apparently drove by and pulled over, they ran off, and I woke up in A&E. I had concussion, needed stitches to a wound on my head, and fractured ribs. Also bruises all over. Half of my face was literally purple for a couple of weeks afterwards. Luckily there was no lasting damage and I was totally fine within a month.

But yeah, in hindsight I probably should have just handed over that phone.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MannyMAR

I've never been mugged, but I was almost car jacked. The dudes didn't realize that I was carrying, so I flashed my gun and they ran off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocko2920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not mugged, but we walked in on a burglary at our house. The person attacked me and my dad with pepper spray (and not just a bit. He soaked my entire front with it). I was 8 at the time. It turns out that stuff can really mess up your eyes. I couldn't swim for like 6 months after because my eyes would immediately start burning.

They caught the guy but we never got our stuff back. My dad and I got a perfect look of his face and it turned out he had broken into a bunch of houses around that time. He was put in prison for a fairly long time from what I understand because he had attacked us and others with a prohibited weapon.

Even the slightest scent of pepper spray now freaks me out.

I guess this one other time this dude walked up to my buddy and I and threatened us, but he was tiny and both me and my buddy were much bigger (the guy I was with was a rather huge guy. Not exactly fit, but he could easily throw himself at someone and knock them over) so we just told him to take off and kept going.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@owack6: *gasp* *evil laughter* *Rubs hands like Mike Ross in this video*

Loading Video...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rafaelfc

I was mugged about 5 times in the space of 3 months when I was 15.

Then never again.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan

Nope, but if I was I would hope Fredchuckdave was around because he sounds like a real badass!

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a friend with multiple sclerosis that has been almost mugged three times in his own driveway. One attempt ended up with him shooting a guy and the other two attempts stopped when they saw he was armed.

The moral of the story is that Habitat for Humanity should build houses in safer neighborhoods.

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Prince George?

I haven't been mugged, but I have been threatened many times. I had an enormous intoxicated man follow me around a grocery store parking lot at like noon on a sunday repeatedly telling me he was going to knock my teeth out. Northern BC can be pretty fucking rough in some places. Lots of racial tensions, and not just native/white. I had a co-worker have a woman come up to him while we were at the beach and call him to his face a fucking [slur] (I'm not sure if it would be against TOS, so just know it reminds with "quick". People are fucked.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, sure, get a gun! Then you get mugged and at the first sign that you might react you get shot or stabbed. Trying to play the tough guy is the stupid move, always. Stuff is replaceable, health is not.

I was mugged twice, once at gunpoint. Lost the money I had both times and a phone in one of those.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first two thoughts were Winnipeg and Regina. Of course it's Winnipeg. You guys only need .6 more murders to reclaim the title.

Though I'm from the second place crime capital of Canada so I can't really say much.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ozzdog12

Does being held at gunpoint at work twice count as 'mugged'?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the poll seems to be broken. I voted no.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My GF was mugged at gunpoint. One dude with a gun on her back, and another dude telling him what to do. Like some sort of horrifying training course. She got away luckily with just her shit stolen, but now she always jumps when a jogger runs up behind her, no matter where or when we're walking around.

That, though, was far less traumatizing than the court proceedings afterwards. She had to testify literally 8 separate times, taking hours of unpaid time off of work for each one, forced to relive the mugging in embarrassing detail to a room full of strangers. And she was almost brought to tears once by a vicious (female, fwiw) judge who berated her multiple times for not speaking clearly.

We still don't know if the dudes who attacked her were ever even sentenced.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm lucky enough to live in a nice enough area of London that I've never been mugged. That and I tend not to go to pubs/clubs etc. late at night (or at all really).

I cant imagine what would happen if I did get mugged, though. I normally dont carry any cash on me and my phone is a piece of crap... so maybe they'd get frustrated and violent... or just fuck off :/

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, something I can actually respond to! I was mugged, and rather violently. Long story of one of the defining nights of my life:

So I was visiting my then girlfriend who happened to live one of the "not so great" parts of Flint, MI. I had also recently had my wisdom teeth pulled and was on all kinds of pain medication. I had just cashed my most recent paycheck and was visiting my girlfriend in order to take her out and treat her to something nice. As she was getting ready, I forgot exactly how much money I had on me (yay vicodin) and decided to pull out all $700+ to count it in front of her fairly skeezy roommate. Had I been slightly more sober, I would have realized that this was a huge mistake.

At some point (non-major details are a bit hazy), my girlfriend decided she didn't want to go out and proceeded to walk me out. This should have seemed a little odd as she walked me out of the house the opposite way I had come in, and out the entry that had broken lighting and was therefor pitch black. As soon as the door to her apartment closed, I was set upon by 2-4 men who set about punching, kicking, and ripping at my wallet and keys. Once they had what they were after, they threw me in the closet of the entryway and ran, telling me not to come out or they'd "fucking kill me".

The good part of being hopped up on vicodin while being beaten is you don't really feel it! The only other silver lining was that when they grabbed my keys the keyring broke and left me with the actual car keys and all they made off with was some dangly bits and a key to my office desk.

After a couple moments I emerged from the closet through the outside door to find my girlfriend and her friend standing there, looking distraught. Being the naive, recently-beaten sucker that I was, I was primarily concerned about them, but they told me that they were fine and to just go, so I did. I remember driving to my friend's house as I lived some distance away from Flint, and the rest of the night becomes a blur at that point.

It wasn't until some time later that I came to realize that the men were waiting for me and it wasn't just a random happenstance. I'll never know if the girlfriend was actually in on it though all signs kinda point to yes, but she seemed genuinely surprised by the whole ordeal. We stopped dating pretty immediately either way.

I used the sudden lack of money to justify picking up a second job where this other girl I had recently started talking to again worked. We had a brief fling several years earlier much to her then-boyfriend's dismay and she was still seeing the guy for some crazy reason (it was actually a pretty abusive relationship and he was in jail at the time for statutory-raping a different girl). Really though, I was an 18 year old making Dot Com Bubble money at a local ISP so I didn't really need the cash but it made for a good reasoning for "why the hell are you getting a second job working retail". I went the long way around when working my way into a woman's heart. Long story short, this year we'll have been married for 9 years.

TL:DR- Girlfriend's skeezy roommate (and possibly girlfriend) set me up to be mugged of my entire paycheck. Used mugging to justify getting a second much-shittier job where I stole my now-wife away from a creepy controlling pedophile.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick: @duluoz: @ben_h: Last I saw, in the 31 years they tracked it, Winnipeg was Murder Capital 16 times. We're like the Yankees of homicide.

@ratamero: Data has actually shown that unarmed victims suffer worse than armed victims. This actually intensifies for women, unarmed women do far worse than armed women. I know what you're saying feels good but you're actually giving bad advice. People who choose to arm themselves legally are factually less likely to be severely hurt during a criminal altercation. I don't own a weapon myself, but don't throw shade at those who do.

Edit: (words in order proper Brode not make good)

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone tried to rob me once and I had convinced him I didn't have anything anyway. My friend was drunk at the time and pulled out 30 bucks for some stupid reason and the guy made off with it. It's usually started with some bullshit story. There was perhaps another time that I was sorta worried that I might have to deal with some guys walking home late at night because they kept eyeing me but literally as I was passing them a cop rolled up on them.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I look every bit as broke as I am, and I have a decently imposing figure (not muscular or anything, just tall and reasonably thick... I look like I can fight, even if that's not necessarily true. I can both throw and take a mean punch, but beyond that? I'm not exactly a UFC champ), so I'm probably not a prime target.

Not that looking vaguely imposing means shit if the other guy has a weapon/wants to prove something (in which case it's probably not money they want), or that looking broke helps if they're desperate enough, but I've also lived in this city long enough to know my routes and times for maximum safety as well. Doesn't hurt that the police station is so close by, either. You can't ever 100% guarantee you won't be mugged, but you can certainly lessen the odds.

And, of course, I never carry more cash than I'm willing to lose.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@brendan: To be fair I'm not a woman and I'm somewhat physically intimidating visually so the likelihood of being mugged is pretty damn low. I also think that only stupid people get involved in physical altercations unless the intent is to disable the other person. But Taxi Driver was at one point my favorite movie of all time (of course I'm like 6 inches taller than De Niro). Still in the top 5, Gene Hackman is too good in Unforgiven though. I like this thread.

Loading Video...

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By reverendk

Wouldn't recommend it!

I have a friend with multiple sclerosis that has been almost mugged three times in his own driveway. One attempt ended up with him shooting a guy and the other two attempts stopped when they saw he was armed.

The moral of the story is that Habitat for Humanity should build houses in safer neighborhoods.

Hot tip: Make sure the doors and door frames in your house or apartment are robust, otherwise you pay a mint for new doors and carpets.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading these makes me feel really lucky looking back at the numerous times I've wandered through Calgary's downtown alone and sometimes drunk.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a cabbie get the shit beaten out of him by a bunch of young punks that evidently weren't interested in paying the fare once they got to where they were going. That's the closest thing I can think of. Called the cops and A) they showed up super fast, and B) while I was giving a statement to them they heard on the radio that they already picked up a couple of the guys nearby because it was a Friday night and I guess they expect enough drunken disorderly conduct that a fair number of cops were out patrolling.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was an attempt but I talked myself out of it. Dude wasn't very good at it.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: care to elaborate on "data"? A quick google search gave me this: "But our current data suggest the independent role of resistance is substantial. Even if half of all robbery killings associated with active resistance would have occurred in any event, active resistance would still escalate the risk of death by a factor of between three and four.", while the only source I could find for saying that it's safer to resist with a firearm is a certain John Lott.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#46  Edited By isomeri

No, I don't walk the streets at night in unknown cities. Never been in a fight either.

The first time I got mugged was at a midnight launch for a game. I've never been robbed abroad, but a few times in my home city.

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo: You have to elaborate on that story. Did they ask for your money, you said no and then they just walked away?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By dichemstys

Nope. I've always been afraid of a situation like that but fortunately it hasn't happened to me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Why? Are you a badass?