• 146 results
Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) 9 months, 27 days ago

Poll: Have you ever dissected an animal in school? (270 votes)

Yes. The traditional frog. 41%
We dissected something other than a frog. 71%
No, I was sick or absent that day. (Or I don't remember. Same thing.) 7%
I chickened out like a pussy. (Or I have legitimate medical issues.) 4%

The beginning of the Bombcast reminded me of the time when our entire 7th grade class dissected baby sharks in the courtyard. I didn't learn much, other than dead animals and their innards smell fucking terrible.

Other than contributing to the poll, I wanna know if you guys have dissected something crazy, like a shark. Is that normal? What animals have you dissected?

#1 Edited by DeadpanCakes (926 posts) -

Frog during freshman year, and a pig sophomore.

Edit: I didn't do it. My class did. I did not partake in the dissection 'cause I felt like I wouldn't learn anything from it. Based on the way my classmates behaved, they didn't seem to learn anything, whatsoever.

#2 Posted by wjb (1666 posts) -

Fetal pig in 9th or 10th grade. Whenever Anatomy class was.

I want to say I dissected a frog in undergrad. I don't remember because of drugz, probably.

#3 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

I'm not sure I've ever even been a student of a school that did this. But it strikes me as a both an act of cruelty to animals, and a blatant display of the sheer masturbatory pointlessness of the educational system. (not to mention a waste of tax dollars) Kids presumably go there to prepare for the real world, but instead we have them cut up frogs.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

I had the raddest 7th grade science teacher. We had a dissection club, where for $20 we cut stuff up and ate doughnuts on saturdays. It was great.

#5 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I remember doing some dissection in Freshmen Honors Bio back in high school.

We dissected a worm, a crawfish, and a really big frog from what I remember.

#6 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

A human....at my father's behest. It was in fashion for a while.

#7 Posted by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

NOt chickened , out but refused to do such an imbecilistic excuse of animal cruelty >:(

#8 Posted by Freelancer52 (70 posts) -

I dissected a frog in 7th grade and a pig fetus in highschool

#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

NOt chickened , out but refused to do such an imbecilistic excuse of animal cruelty >:(

WAT

#10 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

a cat

#11 Edited by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

...fifth option... we don't do it in my country.

#12 Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) -

Looks like I should have reworded that last to choice to "No, I refused to for my own reasons." Can't edit polls. -_-

#13 Edited by Ben_H (3366 posts) -

A rather large worm.

#14 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5591 posts) -

I think I had a pretty unique case where I was lucky enough to never have to. We just watched recorded dissections on a tv.

#15 Edited by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

A few frogs, a worm, some small shark (that was in high school, can't remember what its actual name was) and something else, but I can't remember what it was. Basically, breaking it down it was:

High School: Worm, Frog, small shark, I believe it was some sort of feline (not something you'd keep as a pet, but it was pretty small) and maybe one other thing.

College: One frog.

#16 Posted by Random45 (1213 posts) -

Oh geez, I can already see where this thread is heading.

I've dissected a frog before, and I also remember dissecting a worm.

Now I'll see myself out before the inevitable argument breaks out about how dissection is immoral and all that jazz.

#17 Posted by Roger_Klotz (782 posts) -

A human...it was a cadaver course offered at my college. Needless, I learned a lot about the human anatomy and respect anyone who donates their body to science.

#18 Edited by TheHT (11376 posts) -

it was a rat, if i recall correctly.

#19 Edited by CornBREDX (5379 posts) -

Frog and Owl vomit whatever that's called. That's all I remember anyway.

But i chose everything just in case. Multiple choice is the worst.

Edit: Btw, that smell is formaldehyde (I think it is). The dead animal you dissect doesn't have any smell as it's been disinfected and stuff.

#20 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Yes. Frog, squid, baby shark, baby pig and a turtle if I recall correctly. It was fun.

#21 Posted by Cowman (669 posts) -

I've eaten a couple of frogs does that count?

#22 Edited by JackSukeru (5916 posts) -

A fish. I was teamed up with this girl I thought was really cool and had a small crush on. She ended up having to do all the work cause I was too grossed out :/ This was sometime in middle school.

#23 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

I took a marine biology class where I dissected different fish, squid and other things.

#24 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

Frog in 5th grade, worm and pig in 8th, and a cat during senior year of high school. I thought they were all pretty neat experiences. I don't understand the folks who claim it is cruelty to animals. I'm pretty sure most of the animals that students dissect are the byproducts of something else. The cat I dissected was a stray that was put down as part of some effort to clean up a big city. The pig fetuses come from rendering plants, I think. I guess I don't know about the frogs. Expired stock from French restaurants?

#25 Posted by TobbRobb (4664 posts) -

A fish of sorts, and some stuff from inside a pig. Living things smell horrible inside, and it's all slimy and gross. Can't say I have much of an urge to do that again.

#26 Edited by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

Squid, worm, cat, fetal pig, cricket, sheep heart, sheep brain, among others. I'm expecting to work on cadavers if I ever go to med school.

#27 Edited by MB (12511 posts) -

I never dissected anything in school, but I've field dressed deer, moose, and wild boar, so I voted option B.

#28 Posted by pekoe212 (453 posts) -

A fetal pig. We named it Petunia. :( Honestly, I didn't mind the dissecting so much, it was the wondering how all these baby pigs became available for dissection.

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

I did a couple of things. Squid and frog stick out the most but there were other animals.

#30 Posted by Aegon (5659 posts) -

Two times.

Once we had the choice between like 4 animals. I went with a fish with another person. It still smelled horrible.

Second time it was a pig. It was pretty funny. Three Muslims and a Jew cutting up a pig. I let my 3 partners cut the pig while I concentrated on identifying more difficult to notice parts. Got a perfect mark.

#31 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

My freshman year in highschool in Bio we dissected Pig Fetuses and it took at least a few classes and we just kept them in a bag it was gross.

#32 Posted by Yummylee (21763 posts) -

No, because we never did any dissecting at all in my school.

#33 Edited by Hailinel (24969 posts) -

Yep. We dissected frogs, among other things. The sheep's eyeball I had to dissect was easily the grossest.

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

Nothing living, just the preserves Sheeps eye.

#35 Posted by Korwin (2870 posts) -

We did rats, someone ran around the room slitting all the large intestines... that did not smell great. I tried to get into the brain case but the scalpel couldn't get through which was rather disappointing.

#36 Edited by Animasta (14698 posts) -

@yummylee said:

No, because we never did any dissecting at all in my school.

#37 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -

Pig, Frog, Owl, something else. Pig was pretty nasty.

#38 Posted by Hailinel (24969 posts) -

Nothing living, just the preserves Sheeps eye.

I'd say that I'd be surprised if anyone was required to dissect something living, but then my first dissection assignment in high school Biology was a worm that we had to kill with chemicals before we could actually start the slicing.

I have seen a worm shit itself in pain. It's not a pleasant sight.

#39 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

No because we don't do that here, mostly due to not being barbarians. None of your bad poll options apply.

@aegon As long as they don't eat it, they can fuck up a pig all they like.

#40 Posted by MormonWarrior (2599 posts) -

In my medical anatomy class we were learning about eyes and we cut open a cow's eyeball to look at all the parts. It was nuts and kind of disturbing but very fascinating.

#41 Edited by Slag (4455 posts) -

Bunch of things. Frog and Squid is all I can think of at the moment.

#42 Posted by Steadying (1273 posts) -

I've never heard of any school in this city that has ever done this.

#43 Edited by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

In school, a frog and a fetal pig.

Extracurricular-ly...umm, define "dissected", and "school".

#44 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

@hailinel: I think it might be, or at least used to be common for schools to use some kind of paralyzing agent on frogs so you could cut open the chest cavity and see the lungs in action. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing that though, it does seem quite cruel, even if it is educational.

#45 Edited by Fistoh (119 posts) -

Dissected a worm, a frog, and a fetal pig in Freshman Biology.

Smelled like shit.

#46 Edited by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

frog and pig

#47 Posted by Damodar (1402 posts) -

SORRY EVERYONE, I RUINED THE POLL. I VOTED FROG, BUT THEN REMEMBERED WHAT I ACTUALLY DISSECTED IN HIGH SCHOOL WAS A MOUSE.

#48 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2011 posts) -

Earthworm and frog in middle school, cat in high school.

I don't understand the whole "barbarians" comment a few up, though. Like, top to bottom that's bizarre.

#49 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Hell no. My school was too poor to buy something to cut up. Plus I picked Chemistry as my science class.

#50 Posted by Vuud (2013 posts) -

I exorcised the class hamster of his demons. Sadly he did not survive.