• 146 results
Posted by Gruebacca (403 posts) 4 months, 12 days ago

Have you ever dissected an animal in school? (270 votes)

Yes. The traditional frog. 41%
We dissected something other than a frog. 71%
No, I was sick or absent that day. (Or I don't remember. Same thing.) 7%
I chickened out like a pussy. (Or I have legitimate medical issues.) 4%

The beginning of the Bombcast reminded me of the time when our entire 7th grade class dissected baby sharks in the courtyard. I didn't learn much, other than dead animals and their innards smell fucking terrible.

Other than contributing to the poll, I wanna know if you guys have dissected something crazy, like a shark. Is that normal? What animals have you dissected?

#101 Posted by bennyboy (327 posts) -

A worm, grasshopper, and frog in middle school, and a frog again in high school. Actually I pussied out for the most part and had my partners do most of the dissecting work. Yeah it was gross and a complete and unnecessary waste of time but you could say that about a lot of things regarding school.

#102 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

A frog and a bull's eye. Both were disgusting. I have no fucking clue why we did that, even now that I'm 27 years old. It didn't teach me anything.

#103 Edited by TechHits (1353 posts) -

a cat

I take it that was some independent learning on your part.

#104 Posted by ZombiePie (5364 posts) -

I dissected a frog during middle school, BUT the big dissection for me happened in college for a human anthropology class where I got to see a human cadaver get dissected by a professional at the college morgue.

No joke, I legitimately passed out.

#105 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

Just went through this the past 2 weeks (high school senior year anatomy class). We had the choice of fetal pig or adult cat. I obviously went with pig cause fuck cutting open a cat. I love kitty cats too much!

#106 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

A fetal pig my sophomore year of high school, but only one or two kids in each group had to do the actual dissecting. Everyone else just took notes (which is what I did).

#107 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

I had to dissect a few smaller animals in middle school, stuff like worms and frogs. In college is where it got gross, but the only one I can really remember is digging into a cow's head.

#108 Posted by BaneFireLord (2873 posts) -

Frog in middle school. To this day I am unable to eat frog's legs without conjuring the smell of formaldehyde in my mind and instantly wanting to vomit. So I avoid frog's legs, natch.

#109 Posted by Skyfire543 (581 posts) -

Nope. Didn't even take Biology past the 10th grade, and all the dissections happened in the senior years at my school.

#110 Edited by believer258 (11032 posts) -

I had to dissect a fetal pig in college. It stunk pretty bad, too.

I don't remember doing anything in high school. I don't have any moral qualms with it if the students can take it more seriously and learn from it, so I think it's better done in college. It's easy to imagine high school kids just laughing or joking about it.

#111 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2138 posts) -

In middle school I think my class dissected a worm and frog, but I missed a ton of school and conveniently missed both dissections. In High School I took almost every science class that wasn't biology because I was convinced I knew everything they would teach me.

I still remember the smell of the hallways when the dissections went on. One year my locker was right next to the science department so every time I went to get my stuff I got a strong wiff of the formaldehyde with a hint of dead shit. It was nasty.

#112 Posted by DonutFever (3513 posts) -

In Grade 10 Science there was a frog, in Grade 11 Bio there was a fetal pig.

#113 Posted by weegieanawrench (1917 posts) -

Yep, in elementary school it was an earthworm: pretty boring and almost impossible to distinguish an organ from flesh. In high school it was a fetal pig and a cow's eye. The fetal pig was interesting as it was my first hands on experience with handling organs/skeletal structures. In my current program, we dissected (I'll spoiler block this in case it's too much for some) cats in first year (Note: these cats were sick or diseased in some way and all were donated by owners or were found). It was an in depth look at body systems and I found it to be pretty helpful for my anatomy course. The diseases that many of these cats carried was also beneficial in showing the effects on the body.

#114 Posted by slyspider (1027 posts) -

Never in highschool or middleschool. At university I'm premed so... Tons.

#115 Posted by Nightriff (4329 posts) -

I have dissected several things during my schooling years, don't understand how someone couldn't have.

#116 Posted by RandomHero666 (3174 posts) -

No because I don't live in the US

#117 Posted by TheHumanDove (2393 posts) -

I dissected a sheep's eye I think. We ignored the instructions and made an incision to the pupil and a bunch of eye juice shot out at us. They took our eye away and stuff.

#118 Edited by Plasticstars (168 posts) -

A frog, a fetal pig, and a goat/sheep/cow/I-can't-remember-what's eye.

#119 Edited by Dasacant2 (193 posts) -

In highschool we got to choose to either dissect a fetal pig or a rat, I chose the pig. In uni I had to dissect a cat, a cows eye, a pigs eye and we saw the professor dissect some other things that the school didn't want us messing up. I'm not sure why I had to take those classes for Applications Development but I was glad that I took them when I switch to a more health oriented IT major.

#120 Edited by UpInLights (21 posts) -

Nope we dissected a plant

#121 Posted by Beforet (2883 posts) -

Yep. Pig. More like a human, we were told.

#122 Posted by BenLuke (55 posts) -

A Frog, also a worm (Which was dumb, worms just look like shit inside you can't tell anything apart.) and a crayfish or something like that/

#123 Posted by andrew2696 (271 posts) -

10th grade using the traditional frog.

The assignment was pretty easy just labeling stuff.

#124 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1324 posts) -

No, I never did the "dissect and animal in class" thing because I went to shit schools that couldn't afford to do things like that.

#125 Edited by Tom_omb (227 posts) -

Dissected an earthworm in elementary school and a Frog in high school. I might have dissected a fish at some point in school too.

Edit: Oh and a sheep's eye too.

#126 Posted by Jay_Ray (1002 posts) -

We did stuff like cow eyes

#127 Edited by Ducksworth (656 posts) -

A rat. Those things are damn massive and were yellow because of the formaldehyde filled jar we had to remove them from. I almost want to say that one person was freaking out because his rat was pregnant. Not a dissection but once I got to university a friend of mine in the biology department grabbed his access card and took me to some restricted cadaver section. Lots of fun stuff there.

#128 Posted by ch3burashka (4900 posts) -

NOt chickened , out but refused to do such an imbecilistic excuse of animal cruelty >:(

It's already fucking dead.

We had a sheep's eyeball. That was weird.

Also, "chickened out like a pussy" sounds funny because you're combining two animals.

#129 Posted by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -

Never a full animal but a sheep's lungs and a pig's heart. I found both to be very interesting even if I never used that knowledge out in "the real world".

#130 Edited by Hunter5024 (5163 posts) -

Nope. Never got offered in whatever class I took. My friends got to dissect rats though. Apparently one of them cut off its head and put it in its stomach, then showed it to a girl who refused to participate and she nearly threw up. He's an asshole.

#131 Posted by Zleunamme (609 posts) -

A frog in middle school. A worm during freshman year in high school. I only took a semester of biology and the class didn't dissect anything in the lab section. Then took a semester of physical anthropology, just examined bones.

#132 Edited by Lydian_Sel (2450 posts) -

Dissected a Cow's Eye, a Pig Heart, and various bird limbs in High School science. The cow's eye was the worst.

#133 Edited by Splodge (700 posts) -

Cow heart. For some insane reason the teacher decided to leave the room for around fifteen minutes. When she came back the cow hearts had been used as soggy missiles in the battle of the ages. Lots of disgusting heart juice splattered up the walls. One heart had hit a classmate in the face and his nose started bleeding. In the end there was no way of telling cow's blood from human.

The horror.

#134 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (177 posts) -

Cow heart and a Pig eye.

The heart was nothing, it was just like cutting up a big slab of raw beef (which is what it is, essentially) only it was purple-ish instead of red.

The eye was weird, it felt like one of those super bouncy balls.

#135 Edited by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -

In AP biology we dissected a frog, pig, and cat. It was pretty rad. In college we had to examine a dissected goat brain and memorize the various parts.

#136 Posted by Atomic_Olive (14 posts) -

I can't remember what took place in what class but I took Biology and Anatomy/Physiology in high school and dissected a frog, earthworm, cow eye, and fetal pig.

#137 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

We did a heart never a full animal

#138 Posted by ThePickle (4149 posts) -

A frog in freshman year Bio and a cat in senior year Anatomy.

#139 Posted by Vrikk (836 posts) -

Frog. My friend Shawn had to go outside and sit down because he got so sick. It was amusing.

Poor frogs, though. All the dip shits in the class were taking the testicles and throwing them at people during lunch.

#140 Posted by PimblyCharles (1099 posts) -

It's best to get your first puke (or few) out early while opening up an animal. It gets easier from there but never close to comfortable.

@fistoh said:

Dissected a worm, a frog, and a fetal pig in Freshman Biology.

Smelled like shit.

It always smells like shit.

Only at Giant Bomb are we really discussing this... what the fuck

#141 Edited by development (1571 posts) -

I think it was a frog. What I remember the most was how useless the lab exercise was, and how we just tore open a bunch of frogs to point at a few organs on a worksheet and the write down "our observations" (observations: shit was dead and smelled bad. Frogs are tiny things with tiny organs). The smell of that formaldehyde is also pretty memorable. Seemed like a giant waste of resources and time. Could have just googled that shit in 1/20th the time. Another holdover from the '60s.

#142 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

A frog.

#143 Edited by Devil240Z (3049 posts) -

is it weird that I know that I did but I cant remember anything about it?

#144 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (300 posts) -
@egg said:

I'm not sure I've ever even been a student of a school that did this. But it strikes me as a both an act of cruelty to animals, and a blatant display of the sheer masturbatory pointlessness of the educational system. (not to mention a waste of tax dollars) Kids presumably go there to prepare for the real world, but instead we have them cut up frogs.

You mean the kids that grow up to be doctors, nurses, paramedics? Who all have to have a good understanding of the body. No textbook and pictures replace seeing and feeling with your own senses.

Frog in middle school, seen cadavers in high school and college, pig and rats in high school as well as going through the whole process of stuffing a duck, and dissected cats in college.

#145 Posted by egg (1339 posts) -

@egg said:

I'm not sure I've ever even been a student of a school that did this. But it strikes me as a both an act of cruelty to animals, and a blatant display of the sheer masturbatory pointlessness of the educational system. (not to mention a waste of tax dollars) Kids presumably go there to prepare for the real world, but instead we have them cut up frogs.

You mean the kids that grow up to be doctors, nurses, paramedics? Who all have to have a good understanding of the body. No textbook and pictures replace seeing and feeling with your own senses.

Everyone who dissects a frog grows up to be a doctor, nurse, or paramedic?

Why not just leave the dissecting to people who are expressly training for those fields.

@splodge said:

Cow heart. For some insane reason the teacher decided to leave the room for around fifteen minutes. When she came back the cow hearts had been used as soggy missiles in the battle of the ages. Lots of disgusting heart juice splattered up the walls. One heart had hit a classmate in the face and his nose started bleeding. In the end there was no way of telling cow's blood from human.

The horror.

Hurray for "education"

#146 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (854 posts) -

@egg said:

@hurricaneivan29 said:
@egg said:

Everyone who dissects a frog grows up to be a doctor, nurse, or paramedic?

Why not just leave the dissecting to people who are expressly training for those fields.

Hurray for "education"

Or maybe veterinarians, people aspiring to do something in the field of biology? Some people, like myself, got intrigued in anatomy after doing a simple sheep heart dissection in high school. You decide to become either a vet, a doctor or a pathologist and anything in between, all because of a dissection. You learn a lot from it, even if you're not interested in the fields. "sheer masturbatory pointlessness", Look, we treat human and animal cadavers with utmost respect. Hurray for education indeed. (fyi: your tax dollar are spent on much worse things)