• 61 results
super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By super2j

We deal with many forms of media constantly telling us stories heroes and their adventures. I have posted on this forum before about that feeling i get longing for such type of fictional adventure (even though in my mind i realize adventure=conflict and that could be very bad and i shouldnt take peace for granted). That is what I am feeling right now after marathoning thru a action oriented manga today. BUT it occurred to me that i have never heard of anyone in real life describing anything that could sound like an adventure. So i want to hear what you, the people of giantbomb, the people whom are spread around the world and yet have similar interests as me, have experienced in your life that u can look back on and define as adventure.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, probably. I lead many lives.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By foggel

I've been living in China for 8 months now, and I feel like it has been an adventure. I'm also taking the train back to Europe in june via the middle east. Going to stop and look in a couple of countries.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

im on a quest to lose my virginity

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hot_Karl

@SarjuTheRapper said:

me 2

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SarjuTheRapper said:

That's not an adventure.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By willin

I saved the Earth once.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptainCody

I made a guy go out of his way to save the Earth once.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I wish.

Progman9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Progman9000

Being on tour with a band is a lot like an adventure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Not the kind where you swing from vines and shit, but yes, I've had a few adventures.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@Video_Game_King said:

@SarjuTheRapper said:

That's not an adventure.

FUCK YOU!

tee hee

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SarjuTheRapper:

But I'm a dude right now, and I don't give up my dick that easily.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@SarjuTheRapper said:

I'm on a quest to maintain our current virgin population as best I can.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@HaltIamReptar: lawl good luck with that

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By habster3

None that I can think of. Unless you count going to a state academic meet and suddenly encountering black metallers screaming about rituals and singing Friday. That was kind of a mini-adventure, I guess :P

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NegativeCero

@HaltIamReptar: @SarjuTheRapper: Does that mean you are now both enemies?

I have been on stupid road trips, so I guess I have.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Patman99

Being a Canadian archaeology student, I went to a field school in South Africa last summer. Lots of days of just digging but there were some "adventurous" things. Sleeping in our cabin one night, a pack of antelope got onto the deck area. Because it was laid with stone, the hooves made a tap-dancing shoe type sound and scared the crap out of both us and the antelope. Moments later, they all got startled and ran off. Probably the most interesting part of it all was the seconds before they got startled. You could hear their heavy breathing. Kind of reminded me of the scenes in movies where the main characters are just out of sight of their pursuers but you can hear the pursuers' foot steps and grunts. We also saw lions one day...

The most adventurous thing that happened was when we were basically robbed on the streets of Johannesburg. That day we were taken to go see a Museum in the middle of a downtown area of Johannesburg. After we all went through the Museum at our own pace, we met at an outdoor seating cafe nearby. While the twelve of us waited there for our professors to exit, this man came up to us and asked which language we spoke. Interestingly, he said this phrase in German, English, French and then Afrikaans. We said English and he began to tell us his life story. He had a surprisingly good vocabulary and spoke with some sort of British accent. He then continued to assure us we wasnt going to kill us (dragging his thumb across his throat) but expected some money to go buy some bread. Scared shitless, we must of each given him the equivalent of $5. He then carried on.

Of course, if this was a real adventure, I would have punched him in the jaw but I didnt feel like playing Indiana Jones in that particular instance...

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah, I've been on a few adventures with my buddies Jake and Finn.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

Yes. Several. I used to be in the Army. Adventures aren't all they're cracked up to be, as some have really long stretches of boring nothing happening nonsense.
If you think scanning planets in Mass Effect 2 is boring, try guard watch on an airfield during a snow storm.  
Boring... and fucking cold. 
The movie and video game adventures are more fun when they skip the reality of it all.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Max_Cherry

I saved the world from a guy named Sephiroth once... Good times.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By crusader8463

There was this one time while on the way to the kitchen to get a glass of water I realized I had to go pee first. So I stopped and used the bathroom before continuing on my way to get the glass of water. Guess you could call the water a fetch quest and the bathroom a side quest I picked up on the way. That's about as exciting as my life gets.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's spelt. THROUGH. TEE AICH ARE OWE YOU JEE AICH. THROUGH. THROUGH. THROUGH.

Also I'm working on joining the Marines and working my way up to Recon. So yeah, I'll probably have some "adventures".

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have an adventure every time I read while dropping a stinky log.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By super2j

@Soapy86 said:

Yes. Not the kind where you swing from vines and shit, but yes, I've had a few adventures.

I need stories!!!

@CornBREDX said:

Yes. Several. I used to be in the Army. Adventures aren't all they're cracked up to be, as some have really long stretches of boring nothing happening nonsense.If you think scanning planets in Mass Effect 2 is boring, try guard watch on an airfield during a snow storm. Boring... and fucking cold. The movie and video game adventures are more fun when they skip the reality of it all.

and this was something I understood a long time ago. I assume you also saw some terrifying things that effected you a lot. In a movie or game that kind of experience is not that devastating because you know the hero will somehow survive/get over it/ and get revenge. But in life, you can be devastated and never recover, never have the epiphany you need to make a comeback. And ultimately this is how i calm down when i have these thoughts of wanting an adventure. I mean life can be a million times worse then a R rated movie.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cornbredx
@super2j: Yes, correct. I didn't want to get that deep or dark as I didn't want to bring the mood that far down but sadly 'tis true as well. That's all I feel I need to say about that stuff.
super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By super2j

@MordeaniisChaos: umm what you are trying to say is not getting thru to me. I mean thro me a bone here and be more clear so you message can come thru.

What is odd to me is the number of people with joke comments. I expected a few but i really didnt expect as many as i got so far. I guess no everyone came at this in the same mindset i had, maybe i didnt convey it well enough in my opening statement. Still, i guess i find them entertaining, and while the real stories help re-affirm the truth that i was expecting, i really hoped for some one who was a real life action hero. Rescue damsel, beat up dudes, globe trot for treasure, learn an ancient and lost style of Kung fu and use it to defend a village that took you in etc. but as i expected, no one will lead a life like that, it doesn't exist.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dungbootle

It's called life, son!

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By iWonder

Moved my stuff on a whim to Nashville. Lived there for 5 weeks - produced for musicians, met awesome people, met managers, got hell of connections, saw at least 15 bands perform (some of them were even famous, and we got to talk to them), yeah that was an adventure.

Didn't make any money, though - I don't think anyone knows what profit even is in the city of music.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I went around with my friends around my neighbourhood, kicked fences down, bought 4L of homogenized milk for all 3 of us, went to the forest beside my house, did the milk challenge, puked, went back to my house, downloaded Battlefield Vietnam and played that with my friends.   

To me, thats an adventure

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cornbredx
@super2j: Well... I don't know that it doesn't exist. I mean ya, in real life you have realities such as what can physically or mentally harm you, but there's plenty of real adventure none the less. History has so many adventures in it. I don't know any off hand (my memory is really bad) but I know there's some great stuff in history about Washington and other American Forefathers. Scientists on the cusp of inventions (The light bulb, the telephone, the nuclear bomb). The paltry beginnings of film, the struggling artists of almost any era (the renaissance being some of the most interesting), War Hero's who now have shooting ranges named after them, The Donner party, Astronauts, and probably many more I haven't mentioned (Fire fighters and Policemen). 

Granted these recallings would be a bit diluted by time, having been written, and possibly edited but enough of it is true. Real adventure exists, and it's not supposed to always be exciting in the context of a movie or video game where something is always happening. I still believe it is adventure, none the less. 

Unfortunately I have no personal stories worth sharing with random people on the internet in a video game website- all my stories are depressing and sad.  
I still believe real adventure exists. All I meant to originally say was it's not always fun and I personally had my fill of it. There are better people then me, though, that have a life time of stories, more worth telling casually then mine. They just don't hang out on video game websites haha
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FengShuiGod

I have biked from the East coast to the Mississippi, had a ton of fun day trips discovering secret things by mountain bike and road bike, hitchhiked across country and back, jumped trains once, lived in the woods for a few weeks with a bunch of other people, been to crazy festivals, drove a few days to DC and stayed for two weeks with a handful of friends and had an epic time, also drove to Missouri once because Missouri, ect. I'm gonna drive to Ohio soon as part of a job. It probably won't be too adventurous, but who knows what might happen? I should at least come back with a story about a crazy hotel clerk or somethin'.

Later this year I plan to drive from New England via a convoluted route that takes me by my scattered family, to somewhere in the South West where I will try to get a job and start a life. Should be an epic adventure.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Yeah I went around with my friends around my neighbourhood, kicked fences down, bought 4L of homogenized milk for all 3 of us, went to the forest beside my house, did the milk challenge, puked, went back to my house, downloaded Battlefield Vietnam and played that with my friends. To me, thats an adventure

Yeah, youth shit basically is adventures. Trekin through a dark creepy forest in pitch black darkness just to make it to the 24hour walgreens to get some soda after a shit ton of stupid games being played. Walking down to the school down the road to use the vending machines after playing way too much Deadly Premonition in one sitting only to decide to climb up on the roof and a weird statue thing and some other shit. Starting a skype video call with a friend in texas while we jumped over shit and yelled "parkour!" in the middle of the night. Stomping on a packet of sauce and having it spray all over a friend. Watching Marble Hornets in a dark room all night and being freaked out till the sun came up. Those are the adventures I've had. They aren't Drake-esque, but I'll have plenty of globe trotting in the future. Now is the time to do stupid shit with a few friends.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By McGhee

@super2j:

I walked 700 kms across Spain on a 1000 year old pilgrimage route called the "Camino de Santiago." Walking into Santiago after 5 weeks of meeting great people, seeing beautiful towns and countryside, and enduring all the hardship along the way was probably the proudest moment of my life.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MordeaniisChaos: Yeah exactly.  I really like being this age because all this stupid shit brings joy and laughter.
Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Grillbar

every day is an adventure, but yes proberly, once me and some friends just drove though europe with no real destination, and then drove back home after about 2 weeks.

@SarjuTheRapper said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@SarjuTheRapper said:

That's not an adventure.

FUCK YOU!

tee hee

QUEST FAILED.

sorry could not stop myself

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By supamon

@BraveToaster said:

Yeah, I've been on a few adventures with my buddies Jake and Finn.

MATHEMATICAL!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

My hand had a little adventure if you know what I mean. Just kidding.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I've been depolyer in two theaters of war during an active war and have been around the world 3 times. I'd probobly consider those the top 3 but there are many other sequences as well. Graduate and move out of your home towns in Idaho people.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40  Edited By Hizang

Well it turns out the princess was in another castle, so I just went home.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been on what some might call adventures but I do not. Until I find some treasure or get shot at (and daringly escape), it won't be an adventure.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Yeah, hopefully I'll be lucky and end up stationed with people of like mind. Ie immature goofballs.

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By okoctothorpe

As an urban schoolteacher, I have had moments of what some might call "adventure," but I've found that those moments are a lot less romantic when you're living them. Being on lockdown and hearing shots fired is fun...when you're in a game and you have the agency to do something. It becomes a lot less fun when faced with 30 antsy 13 year olds who have to sit on the floor for half an hour and wait for the gangbangers to pass.

To me, the best part of adventures is the story (the prince goes on a quest to find Courage and finds it was inside of him all along, etc.). With the right mindset, those moments you get to live every day. (CUE CHEESY AS HELL MUSIC!)

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheFreeMan

This is an adventure.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By super2j

@okoctothorpe: well, it looks like you and I are exactly the same page. At the same time, I can seriously imagine my life being more epic if there was contextually placed inception music behind it. In fact, there was this demo on the playstation network that was some kind of art piece... it had a floating dog that was being engulfed in darkness?? "Lingering shadows" i think it was called. Anyway, i had downloaded the theme to it cause i quite enjoyed it. And one day i was really late and had to run thru a mall. As i was getting off the bus, the song started to play and it was pretty epic as i ran. When i get to the escalator, it dies down (not at the perfect moment but pretty close) and gets back to epic just as i get off and this surprisingly happens again when i make it to the next escalator. What i am saying is, something that would be totally normal and boring turned into this chase scene style event...... I think we should build a product that will soundtrack your day.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By Dagbiker

@CornBREDX said:

Yes. Several. I used to be in the Army. Adventures aren't all they're cracked up to be, as some have really long stretches of boring nothing happening nonsense.If you think scanning planets in Mass Effect 2 is boring, try guard watch on an airfield during a snow storm. Boring... and fucking cold. The movie and video game adventures are more fun when they skip the reality of it all.

This adventures in video games skip the boring parts, and compress time like crazy. Also Adventures in video games usually, have conclusions, where in real life, there usually is no conclusion unless you die. So breaking Adventures into chunks is hard for an average person.

Saying all that, I can tell you about the time I went on a cruse to Europe with my family, all 25 of them, and running around the ship for a week.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47  Edited By spiceninja

When I was a kid I would draw maps of my yard and go on treasure hunts with my friends and siblings. Along the way we would fight monsters and the like while traversing the many hazards of the backyard. I was an imaginative little boy.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jay444111

@Video_Game_King said:

Yea, probably. I lead many lives.

Well... we all know you are a moon man... or woman... not sure which.

But I am a immortal that has lost count of my age of the last...15 million years I believe...

I travel to different universes when one gets to boring for me.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111 said:

Well... we all know you are a moon man... or woman... not sure which.

Depends on what mood I'm in, really. *transforms into Poison* As for that other stuff, though, I'm not sure if you're referencing something or just insane.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PenguinNerd

Yes. I nearly died, learned a whole lot about myself and became stronger after it. Though to be honest I'm not entirely ready to share the actual story with random people. But yeah I've had what I would call an 'adventure'.