Have you ever seen a movie that bombed at the box office?

• 94 results
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By SSully

@rorie said:

Oh, yes.

Says Rorie, sitting in a dark room, shivering, with flashes of his Screened days going before his eyes.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I saw John Carter and really enjoyed it; it was a great embodiment of that comic book enthusiasm.

And while I didn't see them in their theater run, I watched all the the TANG and WUTANG movies, most of which were box office bombs. A lot of those deserved to bomb, too.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh, I also have a MoviePass, so it really takes the sting out of seeing the occasional dud.

Oh man, you're now the only other person I know that has a MoviePass! I think I'm the reason why they changed the rules a while back, to go from 1 movie every day to now 1 movie every 24 hours, because I was seeing a movie EVERY day when I got mine. I saw *every* wide theatrical release in 2013, and holy shit were there some stinkers in there.

I'm still scarred from Smurfs 2.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I worked in a move theater for a long time and watching people actually get up and leave from movies was always amazing

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

From what I can remember A*TEAM which barely made its money back. I quite liked that movie. (I don't have reverance for the TV show which may have helped a little.)

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

One that comes to mind would be Wild Wild West. Got free tickets to that amazing masterpiece. I think there was a whole 10-15 people in the theatre, of which half consisted of some guys that were yelling and making fun of the movie for the whole duration of it. Appropiate, when I think about it now.

Shit man... I actually paid to go see that movie... in my defense I was a dumb, DUMB, DUMB,DUMB,DUMB, 13 year for wanting to see that movie. Might be my greatest movie shame and total waste of my allowance for my brother and I he was 16 I put more blame on him. :p

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Saw Cloud Atlas in an empty theater late at night. It was an amazing experience.

TerrenceMalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topshelf211: I know it's his most divisive, but you gotta be partially goofin around, coming into a film thread and calling a Malick something as staggeringly reductive as a crappy take on Pochahantis w/ Colin Ferrell, yeah? Also, cool if folks found it stultifying or whatever but it boggles my damn mind, not sticking around just for Lubezki's lensing. Hell, the theatrical cut was only a hair over two hours. Anyways, it didn't bomb.

TerrenceMalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afrofools: Fantastic piece on Slate today about A24, well worth a read if you're into the marketing/curation side of the biz.

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Nulix

I saw Speed Racer in theatres twice, Cloud Atlas, and Jupiter Ascending. Weird Wachowski triple coincidence. Two of those films are really good! I also saw Tomorrowland, Son of the Mask, Cowboy & Aliens, and Treasure Planet, I don't remember if Treasure Planet was a bomb I'm just going off wikipedia.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw Ender's game in theaters.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I saw Son of the Mask in theaters...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I watched The Muppets: Most Wanted because I didn't want to see Captain America 2 again. I was one of 3 people in the theater. It's not bad, but it's not anywhere as good as the 2011 muppet movie.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvare: I doubt it was due to trailers, and more so people's interest unfortunately, but I will say I thought the trailers made the film look terrible (like a super cheap, fan-made film), and it's partially why I didn't care to see it in theaters, but when it went to Amazon Prime, I watched it and it turned out to be really great to me, even though it did still carry that look as the trailers showed, though it didn't bother me, but actually helped to some extent. I hope the budget for a sequel is bigger, and the sequel is even better. I've seen it two and a half times. I love Judge Dredd as much as I've read about it, and it's a comic I want to read badly. Judge Dredd and The Darkness are the ones I want to read most and have a lot of interest in. Sorry, a bit of a tangent.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For reasons I cannot possibly begin to remember, I saw the hot Tim Allen flick Big Trouble on opening day. There was only one other person in the theater with me. Budget of 40 million, took in 8.4 in the box office.

I also saw Meet the Spartans. I should not be trusted with seeing movies while they're in theaters.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

@hippie_genocide:Waterworld seems to be the movie that everyone thinks bombed due to its troubled production when in reality it did pretty well.

I saw both Speed Racer and Sahara, both of which I enjoyed. Sahara was a free screening I assume that contributed to it bombing.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've not seen a single one of those films on the wikipedia list in the cinema, but hell I've barely seen any films in the cinema at all. The 2 cinemas in my city only show hollywood bollocks and whatever the occasional film with one of the Dames in.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@afrofools: Fantastic piece on Slate today about A24, well worth a read if you're into the marketing/curation side of the biz.

Thank you, I'll check it out.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topshelf211 said:

The New World, was that crappy take on Pocahontas with Colin Ferrell. I have never seen so many people walk out of a movie.

Oh holy fuck I had forgotten all about that movie. Persuaded some friends to watch it with me because I was studying that time period and thought it could fun.

It was probably the least entertaining film I have ever seen. So, so boring. For some reason we persevered and watched the whole thing but it was such a chore.

I don't watch too many films so maybe there is something to it that I missed. There was some nice footage of rivers I guess.

Fuck that film.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

According to that Wikipedia article, I saw Jack Frost on VHS. Mind you, I was about 8 or 9, but I liked it at the time. Now though, probably not.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I saw "It's Pat" on VHS. I like it a lot but it probably did not do that well commercially

Fly53Corps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom with The Rock

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work at an independent movie theater and we don't always show bangers...

chekhonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Most notable Inland Empire which bombed horribly but is one of my favorite films.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go watch Cop Car. 80% fresh, Kevin Bacon, $130 grand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My question is why would you not have seen a movie that has bombed. Some of the best movies aren't widely liked.

secretfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw Dragonball Evolution and Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li on their respective opening weekends by myself. By myself meaning both "I went alone" and "I was the only person in the theater" okay that technically isn't true for Street Fighter because there were people in there when the movie started who were not there by the end but i think the point still stands.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

super mario bros, I kept thinking "I could go see Jurassic Park instead"

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

That's an odd question. I doubt there's a single person, even those with just a passing interest in film, that hasn't seen a "bomb". Even then, as others have pointed out, not making it's money back in cinema is hardly indicative of quality either. Hell, a good number of my favourite films did poorly at the box office.

I'd like to meet the person who picks what they watch solely by how much of it's budget it made back.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once watched "The Animal" with Rob Schneider because the movie I actually wanted to see only had 3 seats left and we were 4 people ... so I watched that movie by myself. At the end I was ready to kill myself.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I probably will.
I'll go see Crimson Peak. HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously though we're never going to get Pacific Rim 2 are we?

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redglovesociety: Funny People was generally praised by critics though..I even though it wasn't bad since Adam Sandler's other movies (as of late) have been pretty terrible...Grown Ups 2?

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Most notable Inland Empire which bombed horribly but is one of my favorite films.

Wait, what? What box office expectations were ever there for that movie? It was the culmination of Lynch experimenting with a prosumer camera, a skeleton crew of art school kids, and Laura Dern for a couple years. I believe only a couple prints were made, which he took on a roadshow, accompanied by a live cow. It was more like "check out this cool thing I made outside of the studio system" rather than anything that had commercial aspirations to begin with.

I saw "John Carter" in a free sneak preview, so I guess I didn't help that movie's bottom line any. Saw "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" in a pretty packed LA theater, but no one in the rest of the country touched it, apparently. (And it is such a complete disappointment compared to the original, for the record).

On the art house bomb tip, I saw Francis Ford Coppola's "Tetro" starring Vincent Gallo with about 12 people in the theater. It's actually a quite good little melodrama, beautifully shot in Argentina. I don't think anything Coppola's made since has even gotten distribution, which shows what a crazy hit-obsessed world we now live in.

chekhonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chekhonte said:

Wait, what? What box office expectations were ever there for that movie? It was the culmination of Lynch experimenting with a prosumer camera, a skeleton crew of art school kids, and Laura Dern for a couple years. I believe only a couple prints were made, which he took on a roadshow, accompanied by a live cow. It was more like "check out this cool thing I made outside of the studio system" rather than anything that had commercial aspirations to begin with.

I saw "John Carter" in a free sneak preview, so I guess I didn't help that movie's bottom line any. Saw "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" in a pretty packed LA theater, but no one in the rest of the country touched it, apparently. (And it is such a complete disappointment compared to the original, for the record).

On the art house bomb tip, I saw Francis Ford Coppola's "Tetro" starring Vincent Gallo with about 12 people in the theater. It's actually a quite good little melodrama, beautifully shot in Argentina. I don't think anything Coppola's made since has even gotten distribution, which shows what a crazy hit-obsessed world we now live in.

The most minimum of box office expectations. Making it's money back. It didn't even come close. Lynch financed the film himself and it broke him from what I understand.

Granted I don't think anybody thought it would be a hit outside of france but unfortunately it didn't catch on.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: I heard China saved Pacific Rim? Maybe we'll see more of that? Hopefully...

And yeah I am excited for Crimson Peak. Not sure it'll be successful.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By paulmako

I saw Youth in Revolt, that kinda middling Michael Cera movie. I can't really remember what happens.

I am reading that it took $19.5m against a budget of $18m. That's pretty bad.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

The closest one for me is probably Alone in the Dark.

I have seen my share of bad movies, but when I looked them up they ended up making at least some amount of money. I haven't seen a bomb on the scale of a Pluto Nash in theaters though.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

closest thing was probably soul plane. I dont even remember why I went.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My buddy works at a theatre and gets us into some of the late shows sometimes, so I saw American Ultra, Fantastic Four and The Visit recently. American Ultra was alright, and I liked the first half of fantastic four. I hated the visit, it would've made a good parody if it took itself less seriously. Some decent scares but really lame writing.

Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 Words "Freddy Got Fingered"

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last film I watched in theatres was Pixels.

I hope that answers the question.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen many, many bombs (which are different from bad movies)... I'll go a litter older (because I am a little older - and these all probably fall in the box office disappoinment/failure category rather than the bomb one) here and throw out:

Brazil, The Princess Bride, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (it surprises me that that is not on the Wikipedia bomb list [nor is Heaven's Gate which destoryed United Artists - though I {and everybody else} didn't see that one in a theater]).

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It wasn't a bomb, but I went to seethe first Dumb and Dumber movie in the theatre with two friends the first week it was out and we were the only ones in the theatre, felt really strange.

Avatar image for supremegreen_dx
SupremeGreen_DX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Pilgrim,which sucks, because I love that movie. It is probably the best video game movie not based on a video game.