• 155 results
Posted by BeachThunder (11636 posts) 1 year, 13 days ago

Poll: Have you ever used a floppy disk? (708 votes)

Yes 98%
No 2%

Any kind of floppy disk will do. And by used, I mean used for its intended purpose :P

#1 Edited by mlarrabee (2868 posts) -

I used a floppy disc two months ago; I installed Windows 98 SE onto a cobbled remains of a Gateway.

I don't care about vinyl, but let me keep my floppies.

#2 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I had games on floppy and I used to bring some projects into school on floppies before the days of USB sticks.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9579 posts) -

It's really sad to me that this is a reasonable question.

#4 Posted by MightyDuck (1490 posts) -

Definitely, I remember using them all the time on my parents first IBM pc that we had back in like...1994?

#5 Posted by HatKing (5768 posts) -

I remember when that was my chief means of bringing files back and forth from class. I'm not even that old.

#6 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

Sure, they were still the norm when I was at school. That makes me sound a lot older than I am.

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

To think that I used to be worried about getting a PC that didn't have a floppy disk drive.

#8 Posted by Monkeyman04 (998 posts) -

Back when I was a young man Floppy disks were the only thing to use to install/save things. I'm only 26 BTW.

#9 Posted by TobbRobb (4553 posts) -

I used one a few years back, I had to backup some really old files on our like, '95 computer "wonder that the fucking thing was still running". And pretty much the only way to get anything out of it was through floppies... I used 3 and had to do several return trips.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

Five and a quarter for life!

#11 Posted by DoctorTran (1544 posts) -

I remember playing Fisher Price games from a floppy when I was a kid. Firehouse Rescue and School Bus Driver if I recall correctly.

#12 Edited by cloudymusic (1041 posts) -

Had an Apple IIc as a young'un which used 5 1/4" floppies. Had a TI/99-4A before that, but that used cartridges which are not quite floppies!

#13 Posted by schreiberty (203 posts) -

I had lemmings on floppy discs, thats about it

#14 Posted by believer258 (11561 posts) -

Yes, I have used floppy disks before. Not in many years, but they have been used.

To think that I used to be worried about getting a PC that didn't have a floppy disk drive.

At this point I'd say that USB sticks and external hard drives have largely replaced DVD drives on PC's as well. It's still a good idea to at least have an external DVD reader and burner laying around, but having one built in on all computers isn't really necessary these days. Everyone in my house rarely uses DVD drives.

#15 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10341 posts) -

When I was in middle school, we were required to have them for bringing data around for school reports and junk.

After I no longer needed it, I took it apart to see why it was called a floppy disk, despite feeling quite unfloppy. The innards were quite floppy indeed.

#16 Edited by jsnyder82 (725 posts) -

Yes, because I'm old. I remember when everything came on floppy disks.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11636 posts) -

I had lemmings on floppy discs, thats about it

:D I still have my floppy version of Lemmings sitting on my desk, actually.

#18 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

Man got a bunch of old timers on these forums. Exactly the way it should be! Fuck you young people!

But in answer to your question yes I used them when I was younger quite a bit.

#19 Posted by bobafettjm (1387 posts) -

Of course I did, it used to be the only way to play a computer game. I even still own most of my old floppy disk based games.

#20 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (457 posts) -

I'm 22, & I used many floppies back when I was a kid. How do you think I could have played games?!

#21 Edited by JadeGL (696 posts) -

My first gaming platform was a Commodore 64, so yeah.

#22 Posted by Stonyman65 (2569 posts) -

I used tons of floppies way back when.

I remember using those 5.25in disks with the Apple IIe in my school's computer lab. This was in the early 90's so those machines had to be at least 10 years old by then.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

I'm 22, & I used many floppies back when I was a kid. How do you think I could have played games?!

well I'm a month away from 22 but same.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Yep. I've used a ton of em' back when I played games on my Dad's Apple II computer. 8.5" floppys son!! Nothing like playing Defender and Pac-Man on a Green and Black monitor.

#25 Posted by Ben_H (3293 posts) -

When I was 4 I had a computer with an orange monochrome monitor that I had a huge stack of games on 5.25" floppies. I was devastated when my dad got rid of that computer.

I have a full install set of 3.5" floppies for Windows 95.

I actually used floppies a lot also for my music lessons like 8 years ago. At the time all the higher end electric pianos read song back tracks off of floppies. A few years later they switched to USB. My current Roland synth has USB.

#26 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

Double Density for life bitches.

#27 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

We got our first PC in 1984, so yes. Used 5 1/4s" till 1990. My father's work still had some of the old 8" ones at the time.

#28 Posted by BisonHero (6047 posts) -

Considering that around 2004-2007 USB sticks really got cheap while floppy disks really fell off (at least in North America), you would probably have to be like 12 or younger to have not encountered a floppy disk whatsoever.

But yeah, I'm in my mid twenties, and the only software I ever got on a floppy was small programs that were barely games that generally came for free with a toy or something. Really just used floppies to transfer homework to and from school computers.

#29 Edited by GrendelPr1me (33 posts) -

I used to love buying PC games in the early 90s that were on floppy disc. It's funny how now we look at multiple discs with some sense of abhorrent annoyance, but back then, multiple discs was almost a measure of quality.

"Dude, Doom II is on four floppies..."

"Noooooo way."

#30 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

yeah. When I was a kid I brought in all my homework on floppies.

#31 Posted by Dalai (6978 posts) -

How else was I supposed to play Lemonade Stand back in elementary school?

#32 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (448 posts) -

all the time in the late 80s and most of the 90s.

#33 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

The last computer i built (2010) and currently use is the first one i've owned that does not have a floppy drive.

#34 Posted by Tireyo (6408 posts) -

yup!

#35 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Like, sexually?

#36 Posted by Patman99 (1556 posts) -

I never really had a computer until I was 12 (2003). However, my elementary school had a computer lab. While most of the software was already on the computer, we had to use floppy disks a bunch.

#37 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

Like, sexually?

5 3/4, girl.. ;

I grew up on Mortal Kombat and Doom, on floppy. Hell yea.

#38 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

My first computer game was probably Winter Games by Epyx on the Commodore 64. (5 1/4" floppy of course) The first PC game I paid money for was Betrayal at Krondor for our 386 running Win 3.1 over DOS - if I remember correctly, it came on 8 or so 3.5" floppies.

#39 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

Yeah, back when having a built-in DVD drive on a computer was considered a luxury. God damn, I'm 21 but I've never felt so god damn old.

#40 Edited by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@everyones_a_critic: Wow...now I feel older. DVD drive on a computer? I was older than you are now when that happened....for reference, I worked IT in college. The IT Department got in a 1X CD-R drive my sophomore year - it was new tech and the only burner on campus.

#41 Posted by SpaceRunaway (826 posts) -

This only applies to 8" and 5.25" floppies, I assume. If you voted 'yes' and are thinking that a 3.5" diskette counts, get on right outta here.

#42 Edited by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

Well, now I feel old. And yes, I've used floppies as recently as this month because I came into possession of an Apple IIgs and a ton of old educational games.

#43 Posted by Wraith1 (555 posts) -

I sure have, was the only way to save data on and use it on another computer

#44 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@spacerunaway: You win, sir! I don't think I've ever used an 8" floppy...my earliest memories are of 5.25s.

#45 Posted by HerbieBug (4193 posts) -

Yeah. Even back to the time when they were actually flippy floppy things. The big ones. I remember the little rotating gate the drives had back then that you would flip down after you inserted the disc with much fondness. :)

#46 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

My first computer was a Leading Edge 33Mhz 486 DX. It had a 120MB hard drive, 3.5" and 5.25" floppy. No sound card, no CD drive. and 4 MB of ram. I paid $1,200 I think. Within 6 months I spent another grand adding a Soundblaster 16 Kit(soundcard, CD drive and speakers); new video card, larger hard drive, some CACHE ram on the motherboard, and a 486 DX2 66MHz processor. I still had the processor until a few months ago, when I decided to stop hoarding this crap. I still have the receipt. $286 dollars for a DX2. LOL

the good ole days... floppy drives.

#47 Edited by SomethingClever (417 posts) -

I remember using tape drives and before that punch cards. But that was just older stuff my dad had. 5 and a quarter was my bread and butter.

#48 Edited by myketuna (1644 posts) -

I used to use the 5 1/4" floppies. Those were pretty cool. Then I moved on to 3.5" floppies. And finally in 1999 or 2000, I used my first CD-ROM to install Tribes Vengeance on a hand-me-down HP computer my dad bought from his friend. Pretty glorious.

#49 Posted by wrecks (2197 posts) -

Every size + Jaz + Zip disks.

#50 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I remember when the iMac came out and my friends and I mocked it for not having a floppy drive.

So to answer your original question, yes.