Have You Ever Wanted To Join The Military?

• 170 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By falserelic

For me when I was 18 I had thoughts about joining the army. But after giving it some deep thought I wasn't cut out for it. After hearing some stories from people's personal experience. It really made me think twice about my decision. The army sounds like a place where you will easily get broken down.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Nope, not at all. I think the only other relevant contribution I have is that I've tried to avoid military use over my reign. That is all.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By SexyToad

I never thought about it.

zzzleepy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zzzleepy

When I was a kid I wanted to be in the military, playing at war and all that, but not in my adult life no. Even though being in the military in Sweden would probably be pretty harmless and chill compared to other countries.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By haffy

I can't because my elbows fucked up. I always wanted to for the training, but fuck going to war and killing because people I don't know, argued about something I don't care about.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falserelic

I wonder what country has the most brutal military program.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sissylion

You could guarantee me that I wouldn't suffer any injury and would also receive hundreds of thousands of dollars and I still wouldn't serve. Fuck the military.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul

A resounding NOPE from me.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wjb

"I got soul, but I'm not a soldier."

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

Briefly considered it late in my high school days, as I had no clue what the fuck I was going to do otherwise. Still don't, really.

Also considered trying to get into an academy. But I don't have what it takes. I'm soft and weak. Also never took authority figures very seriously, which I understand is a bad thing in the armed forces.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

@pyromagnestir said:

Briefly considered it late in my high school days, as I had no clue what the fuck I was going to do otherwise. Still don't, really.

Samething for me. My life wasn't going nowhere and I thought joining the military was the answer.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Freshbandito

I almost joined the Royal Air Force after going through the Air Training Cadets, realised that 'holy shit in a month or two I'd end up actually in the military!' freaked out and bailed to go study art and media.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Harpell

Weighed the idea briefly, immediately said nope.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Toxin066

Yup, thinking about applying for a commission in the USAF after I finish up my master's (in microbio/immunology - completely military related, I know).

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By haffy

@falserelic said:

I wonder what country has the most brutal military program.

In stable countries I'd probably say the French Foreign Legion.

But one of the more fucked up places is probably Liberia. Cannibal warlords, general buttnaked, two general Osoma Bin Ladin's, general Moskito and general Moskito spray.

I only really know what I watched from this documentary though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo&list=PL413299DC95044CED&index=33&feature=plpp_video

Worth watching in my opinion.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Jrinswand

I wouldn't mind putting my life on the line if it were for something worthwhile, not warmongering in the name of freedom.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

There should be an option for "Yes and currently in a training program," because that'd be me.

Just came back from Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama a little less than two weeks ago for the United States Air Force's Field Training, which is basically a month long encampment for aspiring Professional Officer Candidates in the Air Force Reserve Officer's Training Corps program who'd like to commission as Second Lieutenants after they graduate with an undergraduate-level college degree. Most fun I'll never want to have again for sure, and I'm definitely more so looking forward to actively serving after I get my degree and they give me my ranks.

I'm also an undergraduate Electrical & Computer Engineer; the Air Force in particular desperately needs engineers so I'll probably get shoed-in as a career engineer with the Air Force, so they probably won't let me fly. If I was really good, maybe I'd end up doing Electronic Warfare. I'm far more likely to become a Cyberspace Operator before that, since that's the next place they'd throw Comp Sci/Eng. Not complaining about that though, it's still a valuable service I'll hopefully be able to take part in after a little less than two years from now.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By falserelic

@Jrinswand said:

Christ, your poll options are always shite. I wouldn't mind putting my life on the line if it were for something worthwhile, not warmongering in the name of freedom.

I was going to say something, but I'm just going to let it go.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falserelic

@EquitasInvictus said:

There should be an option for "Yes and currently in a training program," because that'd be me.

Just came back from Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama a little less than two weeks ago for the United States Air Force's Field Training, which is basically a month long encampment for aspiring Professional Officer Candidates in the Air Force Reserve Officer's Training Corps program who'd like to commission as Second Lieutenants after they graduate with an undergraduate-level college degree. Most fun I'll never want to have again for sure, and I'm definitely more so looking forward to actively serving after I get my degree and they give me my ranks.

I'm also an undergraduate Electrical & Computer Engineer; the Air Force in particular desperately needs engineers so I'll probably get shoed-in as a career engineer with the Air Force, so they probably won't let me fly. If I was really good, maybe I'd end up doing Electronic Warfare. I'm far more likely to become a Cyberspace Operator before that, since that's the next place they'd throw Comp Sci/Eng. Not complaining about that though, it's still a valuable service I'll hopefully be able to take part in after a little less than two years from now.

Sounds like a interesting program.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Tolman

I have a bit of a family history within the military. My great grandfather served in a tank division during WWI and my grandfather fought in both WWII and Korea. When I was thirteen, I had serious thoughts about joining the military. Then, education became very important to me and I began disagreeing with many of the actions committed by the military. I grew up basically. Though, I do have one good friend who enlisted with the Marines and another who is involved with an ROTC program to become an officer. Though I wouldn't want to join the military specifically, I continue the idea of building my career around helping people by majoring in Political Science with a minor in International Criminal Justice.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've thought about it, but I have no intention of doing so. I'm not physically fit enough for it, anyway.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@falserelic: Every military branch in the United States military has a Reserve Officers' Training Corps for college students. (There's Army ROTC and Navy ROTC too) and their training, while slightly different in focus, follows the same formula. It's basically the alternative to going to West Point or Annapolis or the United States Air Force Academy -- it lets college students be college students while giving them the opportunity to train and become future officers for the U.S. military.

Oh, there's also a high school version, Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC), but there's no military obligation involved with that and it's more driven by leadership in general than military leadership, which college, senior ROTC does. High school JROTC is kinda like being in the Boy Scouts, while college-level ROTC is legitimate military training. I did JROTC, too, though, and it's definitely gave me a good perspective on the military without having me commit yet. In fact, I doubt I would've went all the way to volunteer to become an officer candidate if I never learned about the military through JROTC.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Never. Even if I were drafted for service I'd at least try to flee to another country. Nationalism can eat a fat dick.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jrinswand

@EquitasInvictus: You're only like 45 minutes from me! Then again, it seems like there's some sort of military base every mile in any direction in Alabama.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Giantstalker

I'm a currently serving member of my nation's army.

I could never do a civilian career, and wasn't cut out for the education to get a decent one anyway. That entire system just doesn't work for a lot of people.

There are very few jobs in the world where somebody with a high school diploma is trusted with a $1,500,000 armoured vehicle. I've been in eight years and I can still get excited about what I do. It's really not so bad.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Jrinswand: You're right about there being a military base every which way from Alabama. While I'm actually back in New Jersey now for school, my training down at Alabama was a month long and for parts of it we were actually at another base, Camp Shelby, in Mississippi. There are so many bases in that area that on the way back home from training at the airport (They had us arrive/depart from Atlanta Airport, actually, for some reason) I saw a bunch of other Army and Navy walking around, transiting from other bases in the area. It's pretty cool to be in an airport when a lot of military members are in transit.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Joining the army in a few months, just finishing my degree.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By falserelic

@EquitasInvictus said:

@falserelic: Every military branch in the United States military has a Reserve Officers' Training Corps for college students. (There's Army ROTC and Navy ROTC too) and their training, while slightly different in focus, follows the same formula. It's basically the alternative to going to West Point or Annapolis or the United States Air Force Academy -- it lets college students be college students while giving them the opportunity to train and become future officers for the U.S. military.

Oh, there's also a high school version, Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC), but there's no military obligation involved with that and it's more driven by leadership in general than military leadership, which college, senior ROTC does. High school JROTC is kinda like being in the Boy Scouts, while college-level ROTC is legitimate military training. I did JROTC, too, though, and it's definitely gave me a good perspective on the military without having me commit yet. In fact, I doubt I would've went all the way to volunteer to become an officer candidate if I never learned about the military through JROTC.

In the 9th grade I had ROTC. Everyday I had to wear a black uniform, and read out of a orange thick military booklet. We also had to do alot of drills. I forgot alot of stuff I learned from the class, but I know what you mean.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I have absolutely no desire to ever have anything to do with the military.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NathHaw

I probably would out of high school if I had to go back in time. Thought about again a couple years ago.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Slurpelve

@EquitasInvictus said:

Hey, well I'm in my last year of high school and I been in JROTC since 10th grade. Over the long summer I been question myself, should I join the military. Well obviously If I do join I continue with senior ROTC but I don't know, why should I join other than money and serving America?

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By confusedowl

Briefly thought about it. My high school had a co op program for the military but I decided it wasn't for me.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By captain_max707

I'm just sixteen-almost-seventeen, so I don't really apply, but I always figured that if some huge World War scenario came up I would join (assuming it's in a few years). Otherwise, I'd rather not. 

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@BadSniper52: It really comes down to whether you're passionate about either serving your country or the military itself.

I actually wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was a kid (I partly blame my dad introducing me to Wing Commander and then showing me a whole bunch of stuff about the F-22 when it was still in development and after I bought Ace Combat 4 I was pretty sold that it'd be to coolest thing for me to do ever). I actually ended up doingd Army JROTC in high school because that was all I had in my area (I live in a city that doesn't have a strong JROTC presence in its high schools), and after a lot of contemplating about what I wanted to do for college, applied for a scholarship for college ROTC with the Air Force so I could get my Electrical and Computer Engineering degree paid for while doing what I really want to do, since the two things I knew I was passionate about by then was airplanes, computers, and the military. The United States Air Force offered opportunities in all three categories so I figured I'd go to college attempting to do what I love.

Two years and a month down at Maxwell Air Force Base/Camp Shelby (it got extremely hot down there) later, I can say confidently I chose the right path for myself.

Remember that senior ROTC is going to practically obligate you to the military at the earliest by the end of your freshman year. Before deciding to volunteer and raise your right hand to take the oath of enlistment, you should consider whether the types of things you could possibly be doing in whatever branch of the military you're joining coincides with something you're passionate about. For me, I was passionate about aircraft, computers, and the country. I definitely don't mind going down range to do my part in a high-risk deployment environment, either, so that's definitely something else you should consider.

In terms of straight, universal pros, while the pay isn't too stellar, the benefits are top-notch -- you'll pretty much be covered for all types of insurance, housing, and dining while active duty so that's a lot less expenses you'll have to worry about. It's also "guaranteed" employment once you complete your training, and if you later decide that the military is not for you, you can separate after your contract expires (4-8 years) and reenter the civilian workforce (which might be difficult for enlisted combat veterans but is actually not too bad if you're a commissioned officer or had a "technical" job that easily translates into the civilian world.) Traveling is probably the best part if that's your thing, because rotations are often enough that you may have the opportunity to see places like Korea, Japan, Germany, Italy, etc. even before you set foot down range. Before you consider these benefits, though, I strongly suggest you're 100% certain you'd be ready to commit, since there are a lot of sacrifices involved. Once you're sure you've got the motivation and understand entirely what you're putting on the line, definitely go for it.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jrinswand

@captain_max707 said:

I'm just sixteen-almost-seventeen, so I don't really apply

That's so close to being a quote from The Sound of Music that it's not even funny.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pox22

Awful poll options. Never thought about it, not because I hate America or due to cowardice, but because a strongly-ingrained stance of pacifism.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Being in ROTC ruined any aspirations for military service. I was not a leader nor a follower.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By Hector

I did. I've been in 5 years now(Marine Corps Reserve) and can't wait to get out next year! FREEDOM!

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Draxyle

I could never kill another human being, not even if my own life depended on it. I would never become a police officer for the same reason. I don't believe anyone on this planet deserves death, no matter what the reason, so I just could never do it.

Not to put down the military or anything either, I understand the need for its existence and its need to do uncomfortable things. I just don't know what I'd do in the case of a draft. If I absolutely had to I'd be willing to take non-combat role, but I don't know if anyone would ever have the luxury of choosing (though the idea of a draft in this era just doesn't seem realistic, not with all that new-fangled technology)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By Phatmac

Nope!

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

I once had, and still have a lot of interest in joining the Navy. My grandfather served in Korea and his reward afterward was seeing the world for several years. It looked amazing. I'd still love to do that. War or no war.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#43  Edited By Hailinel

I've never had any serious desire to enter the military. I'm not against the armed forces in any way and have great respect for what they do, but I'm no soldier.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Nope. Never wanted to, and after a friend of mine joined the Army and with how miserable he is being there, my mind is definitely not going to change.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iam3green

i've been thinking but don't know anything. feel like i won't like it. i've heard some stories of like staying up 3 days straight. i enjoy my sleep. horrible experience of working.

d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By d_breeze

I've though about joining the Air Force after I graduate next summer, but most likely won't go for it. Both of my parents and my grandfather have served in the army but they all told me not to be in the military, and if I do, that I should join the Air Force. I'm studying Electrical Engineering so I thought about trying to be an engineer in the Air Force, but I don't think the military is for me...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive

I'm in the Air Force. I'm a TACP JTAC.

Best decision I ever made in my life. I love my job.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been in the Navy 3 years now, joined when I was 19, and I can say it isn't really for me. That being said, there is nothing wrong with it at all, just not something I plan to continue when my time is up in 3 years. The military can be a great place of opportunity for people with education or without. In two years I got an education on par with the 4 year course at Harvard in the same field.

I joined after high school, graduated high school with an AA, and did a quarter at a university when I realized I did not wanna go through 4 more years of school right after completing 12. I'm looking forward to using my GI bill when I get out to attain a BA and maybe even a masters, and I feel like, when I go back to school in 3 years, I will have a much better mentality and work effort for college then I would have had straight out of high school.

I know a lot of people that talk shit about the military, but a large amount of those people are immature younger people who thought joining would equal endless money and they could do whatever they want. The military is a job like anything else, you have hours you work, you get payed very well (the amount of bonuses and extra allowances are amazing), and unless you purposely like to go against everyone, it's not hard at all.

I recommend it to people getting out of high school that don't want to go straight into college, but want some opportunities to do some new stuff while getting a very good paycheck, (especially when compared to other people of the same age) try a short tour of 4 years, but only if there is a job you sound interested in. DO NOT join just to join, without a target job in mind, or they will stick you cleaning toilets somewhere nasty. You can negotiate a hell of a lot of perks and things with your recruiter, and as long as you get it in your contract (MAKE SURE OF THIS), you can never have those things taken away, or you will be able to have a very nice legal case and get payed well.

All and all, the US military is not at all a hard organization to work under, you get to do some really cool stuff 95% of the time, and a lot of common misconceptions about the military (Hollywood's military) is just wrong.

Even though I don't plan to stay in and make it a career, I am glad I have served the time I have.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By JasonR86

When I first left high school I decided I was going to do one of two things; join the military or go to college. I picked college but I came close to going into the military.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive

One's experience in the military is highly dependent on the job they have. I'd probably want out asap if I wasn't a TACP (and even faster if I wasn't in the Air Force). I think I have the best job in the Air Force, and definitely one of the best out of all the branches.