• 170 results
#51 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I always wanted to join, but I know I will never get in. I'm legally blind in my right eye and super overweight. Even if I got into shape I would never be able to pass the medical to start basic training because of my bad eye. I'm right handed so the eye you use to shoot down the rifle is the one I can't see out of so I would never be able to fire a rifle and last time I checked to work any where in the military here in Canada you need to pass basic training. A hand gun would be no problem since I could just adjust it for the other eye, but I doubt they would let me go to war with only a pistol.

If I could have gotten in, I would have wanted to get into the Navy as I love being out on the water. So I decided a about a week ago that I'm instead going to try and join the Canadian Coast Guard. From what I can tell they do not have any restrictions that would keep me out due to my eye problem, and everything about getting in is just super god dam amazing. Not only will they pay me to go to university for 4 years and guarantee me a job when I'm out, but when I get the job it's like $40k-$60k a year starting salary, depending on what you get into, and you only have to work 6 months of the year. They work on a system where everyday you spend out at sea you get the same amount off. So if you get on a posting where you are out for a month and a half you come back and get a month and a half off work. All of that combined with getting to spend months out on the ocean, helping people in distress, and scientists do research makes that a god dam dream job in my eyes. Now I just need to get in shape and see what I need to do to get picked to go to the school as I'm sure it's not easy to get accepted.

#52 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I already served. I my job and just about everyone I worked with. I get paid to go to college and a free psychiatrist, so I can't complain.

What is with selection E.? Why is it just the Army and where are the other branches?

#53 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I already served.

What is with selection E.? Why is it just the Army and where are the other branches?

My mistake my mind drifted off abit.

#54 Posted by crimsinf (144 posts) -

I hadn't considered it until I talked to an officer recruiter at a career fair. I applied for a specific engineering position with the Navy and went through the whole application process including passing the medical exam (which took some seriously hard work to lose enough weight). I was all set to go to the interview for the program until I recently found out that all the spots in that particular program had been filled for this year. Now I have to find another job for when I graduate with my BS in December and I'm not sure I'd be willing to go through the process to reapply for 2014. So I guess I wanted to, but I'm not sure that I'll actually have the chance to commission now once I start working full time.

#55 Posted by FriedConsole (53 posts) -

I always had plans to join the military when I was growing up but I was born with a medical condition that seems obvious now they were never going to let me in. Didn't hit me that I wasn't going to pass the physical until I talked to the recruiter and he asked me about my medical history.

#56 Posted by Stonyman65 (2654 posts) -

I've thought about joining the Army or Marine Corps. I'm still not sure though, I haven't made up my mind yet. I've had some medical problems in the past (I was born 16 weeks pre-mature, but I'm fine now), but I don't know if that will bar me from joining.

#57 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

I've thought about it here and there, but nothing too serious about it. Might change later on, but for now, being a full time student and working 2 jobs is my priority at the moment. If I were to join, I'd go USAF. I've always been fascinated by drones since I first heard about them back in high school, and while it isn't a terribly nice job (sit in dark room watching footage from a camera most of the time), I know I'd get to go home at the end of the day.

#58 Posted by BadSniper52 (607 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: Thanks man, I just wanted a opinion from someone that in the military other than recruiters. Crazy to say the major I'm going to is Computer engineering, I fell in love with computers since I was 4 years old.

#59 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I wanted to in middle school because I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but my priorities have drastically since then. I could never see myself joining the military in the future--it just isn't my cup of tea.

#60 Posted by csl316 (8339 posts) -

I always felt intrigued by the challenge of the training. Office jobs here aren't too fulfiiling because they're easy. But I have no interest in conflicts. So I thought about it, but I won't do it.

#61 Posted by captain_max707 (485 posts) -
@Jrinswand: Anything to lighten up a thread about joining the military..
#62 Posted by MikkaQ (10276 posts) -

I thought about the air force for a day when I got all obsessed with aviation in high school. Then I realized that private aviation has all the cool planes and the daredevil shit I was craving. Those Cessnas are like flying coffins.

But no I'd never think of serving my country in such a way, I think it's too nationalistic, and hell with three citizenships, I can't really afford to start taking sides in such a dramatic fashion.

#63 Edited by jacksmedulla (279 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

I wouldn't mind putting my life on the line if it were for something worthwhile, not warmongering in the name of freedom.

I agree; where is the "No, I have no interest in taking another human's life" option?

#64 Posted by AlphaDormante (44 posts) -

I considered it briefly, but--and sidestepping my personal views of the military entirely--in the end the scale is too large for me and I don't think it's something I could dedicate myself to. Instead I've always been more interested in being a police officer...the tighter focus is helpful and gives me a center rather than faceless masses.

#65 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

@jacksmedulla said:

@Jrinswand said:

Christ, your poll options are always shite. I wouldn't mind putting my life on the line if it were for something worthwhile, not warmongering in the name of freedom.

I agree; where is the "No, I have no interest in taking another human's life" option?

Don't be disrespectful. Majority of our military personel will never do such a thing, let alone even step onto a battlefield. Besides, that's just stupid, it's not what he's asking at all lol.

#66 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

@MikkaQ: With regards to your last point, one of my buddies gave up his dual citizenship and even gave up ownership of property in his home country because of his officer candidacy. He was perfectly fine with it, but I can see how it'd make others generally reluctant.

#67 Posted by MikkaQ (10276 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@MikkaQ: With regards to your last point, one of my buddies gave up his dual citizenship and even gave up ownership of property in his home country because of his officer candidacy. He was perfectly fine with it, but I can see how it'd make others generally reluctant.

Yeah I'd rather maintain my kinda citizen of the world status definitely. Though an officer's commission is a big deal so I could also see why one would be willing to go all-in with that country to obtain one. And that's the thing, if I were to ever join the military, it would be as a career, which I'm already working on, so it would be a total 180 degree turn in my life.

Though if the US wanted me to become some kind of Canadian sleeper agent or something I'd be pretty tempted...

#68 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

Fuck no.

I have no discipline, have a serious problem with authority and I have no national pride. Pretty sure the military is near the bottom when it comes to careers for me.

#69 Posted by Chris2KLee (2332 posts) -

Thought about it. I'm a bit old for that now, and office life has made me soft(er).

#70 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

If only so they can pay for my education

#71 Posted by zels (206 posts) -

F. My life is worth more than that?

#72 Posted by Wrect (315 posts) -

Stay in for 20+ years, and you get that sweet, sweet military pension.

#73 Posted by Milkman (16611 posts) -

Absolutely not.

#74 Posted by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

i have thought about it but its my 3rd option if i can't join the CCC, then i will join the Navy in the medical field.

#75 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

FUCK THAT... but much respect for those who have

#76 Posted by Nux (2320 posts) -

When I was a kid I idolized soldiers, I wanted nothing more then to join the army when I got older. Then I grew up and realized that joining the army can get me killed and I said fuck that. Don't get me wrong, I have the up most respect for soldiers and what they do but I don't think I have what it takes to be a soldier nor do I have the want to join the army.

#77 Posted by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

I wanted to as a kid/teenager. That or join the Police Force. Still want to kinda, but I can't. If a new war opens up for my country I'd jump to join though, as they normally revoke restrictions during those times, all able bodied men allowed and such.

#78 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I once thought about joining the Marines, but then decided against it. I realized that our military are being used for means that only suit are own purpose and honestly I just can't be apart of a system that fakes being supportive, just to come out on top.

#79 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@jacksmedulla said:

@Jrinswand said:

Christ, your poll options are always shite. I wouldn't mind putting my life on the line if it were for something worthwhile, not warmongering in the name of freedom.

I could have said that, then ended up having backlash. No matter what there's always going to be something that people won't like. I can't please everyone I'm not perfect. Hell if people got that much problem with the poll they can make there own.

#80 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

Nah ill do MCJROTC(Marine Corps) but that's about as far as ill go.

@falserelic: Seems like a good poll to me...... looks like your trying to avoid offending people

#81 Posted by MiasmaFett (129 posts) -

Got my joining date today, i go to basic training For the royal navy on the 12th of may next year !

#82 Posted by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

Fuck no! I even live in Sweden, one of the most easygoing militaries in the world! The chance of me going into battle is close to zero, it would be like going on a really shitty school trip with lots of pushups.

Just, no.

#83 Edited by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@falserelic: Seems like a good poll to me...... looks like your trying to avoid offending people

Yeah, I'm not trying to build up tension between me and other users. Besides In general I just want to have a peaceful discussion about the topic. I don't want to say something that can easily derail it. On top of that I just want to give off a better first impression of myself. So people can feel more comfortable about chatting with me.

#84 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

"No I'm not up to putting my life on the line."

Opinionated choice much?

#85 Posted by Village_Guy (2533 posts) -

Nope, I can't join the military anyway...

Got a letter from the the military on my 18. birthday when we normally get called into conscription. I guess my head is too fucked up to join the army.

#86 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

No and it has nothing to do with putting my life on the line. It has everything to do with not being willing to kill people for the befits of a few. Give me a legitimate reason to defend me and my own and the country as a hole there is no problem. The fact is the country I'm from america hasn't had a real threat to it's borders or sovereignty sense the 50 or maybe the 70 if you wanna count the cold war. Our military claim it's for the defense of the country and our rights but the people giving the orders are the biggest threat to our rights we've had sense the revolution.

TSA the patriot act NDAA and so on these are not threats from abroad these are threats from our own government funny I don't see the military that is supposedly protecting our rights with their lifes killing the congressmen actively writing laws to suppress our rights.

#87 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Nope, never.

#88 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Yes recently I was thinking of joining. I was looking at what is required for all the branches which is very little unless your going to be an officer. I do qualify to train as an officer but I wouldn't want to spend my entire career in the military and I am not a natural leader. However the Irish Army doesn't do anything except UN missions and I wouldn't join unless I stood a very good chance of being deployed on one. In other words I don't want to join for two years and sit in the barracks the whole time. The Irish Air force consists of about 5 helicopters so I have no chance of going into that. I wouldn't mind joining the Navy though but again its fairly small. I have sort of put it behind me now but its still an option and one that I think I would enjoy.

#89 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

Well, I chose to do the military service for 9 months (I had to pick either military service or community service), which was actually a lot of fun with a bunch of really cool guys. Especially seeing jets start and land up close was something I will never forget, but... nope, I never wanted to join the military.

#90 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

@falserelic said:

For me when I was 18 I had thoughts about joining the army. But after giving it some deep thought I wasn't cut out for it. After hearing some stories from people's personal experience. It really made me think twice about my decision. The army sounds like a place where you will easily get broken down.

Yeah this was part of it for me as well. Part of it was also that I was thinking about it when I didn't know what to do coming out of high school and after Freshman year in college, but then I decided what to do for a major. Things still aren't for certain but certain enough that I moved on from the idea.

Proud of those who do though. My cousin currently in the Marines.

#91 Edited by MattyFTM (14363 posts) -

I'm really glad I'm far too unfit to even consider joining the army seriously. If I wasn't like this, I may have considered it during my 2+ years of unemployment. I genuinely had thoughts along the lines of "Man, if I wasn't such a fat ass I could just join the army to get a job". Previously I'd always been of the mindset that joining the army was stupid. Don't get me wrong, people who enlist to fight for the country are heroes, but on an entirely personal level my thoughts on joining the army was always something along the lines of "fuck that". But being unemployed with no real apparent future prospects is so utterly depressing. I just wanted to do something. Anything. I wanted to have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. If I was fit enough to consider joining the army, I think I actually might have. And that would have obviously been a totally dumb reason to join the army, I'm sure I would have hated every moment of it and it would have probably been the worst decision I'd ever made in my life.

#92 Edited by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

Greetings from* Afghanistan. I have the answer to all your questions about the military; if you have other options, explore those first. Explore as much as you can. Be like Indiana Jones with your options. Once the shine wears off, it REALLY wears off.

#93 Posted by PolygonSlayer (424 posts) -

I was originally wanted to get into the tank battalion in the Norwegian army, but when I got drafted into the royal guard I decided instead to study more and ended up both studying and working in Ireland instead ^_^

#94 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@Erk_Forever said:

Greetings fro Afghanistan. I have the answer to all your questions about the military; if you have other options, explore those first. Explore as much as you can. Be like Indiana Jones with your options. Once the shine wears off, it REALLY wears off.

How is your experience like?

#95 Posted by leebmx (2237 posts) -

What a shitty poll, could you have possibly worded this in a more biased fashion?

#96 Posted by DeF (4846 posts) -

Why anyone would do such a thing is honestly beyond me.

#97 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@Erk_Forever said:

Greetings fro Afghanistan. I have the answer to all your questions about the military; if you have other options, explore those first. Explore as much as you can. Be like Indiana Jones with your options. Once the shine wears off, it REALLY wears off.

WELL, people being in charge of other people based on time in service presents the obvious sort of problems one might imagine when putting someone who has no leadership skills into a leadership position. You will frequently find yourself being a tool to make someone you've never met look good. The idea that someone you can't stand being around everyday would risk their life for you, and vice versa is a pretty comforting feeling. The major problem serving presents is the way it sort of limits your options as far as school, travel, and family relations are concerned. I'm just in the national guard, but, I know a few guys who have been working 6 years on a 4 year degree just because of deployments and other things. If you have no other options (like me) as far as school goes, it's a pretty great choice. If you have anything even remotely better, do that first. If you can get in school, do that. It will be an infinitely better choice than this. The national guard is a pretty nice way to make a few extra bucks every month though, and, you do get some opportunities to do some cool things every now and then.

#98 Posted by ShaggE (6399 posts) -

None of the above. I couldn't join if I wanted to (you don't give a bipolar a gun and put them under horrible conditions, you'll just waste a round of ammo and cleanup resources), so I've never bothered to entertain the thought. Granted, there's more to the military than infantry, but I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for much of it.

#99 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@Erk_Forever said:

@falserelic said:

@Erk_Forever said:

WELL, people being in charge of other people based on time in service presents the obvious sort of problems one might imagine when putting someone who has no leadership skills into a leadership position. You will frequently find yourself being a tool to make someone you've never met look good. The idea that someone you can't stand being around everyday would risk their life for you, and vice versa is a pretty comforting feeling. The major problem serving presents is the way it sort of limits your options as far as school, travel, and family relations are concerned. I'm just in the national guard, but, I know a few guys who have been working 6 years on a 4 year degree just because of deployments and other things. If you have no other options (like me) as far as school goes, it's a pretty great choice. If you have anything even remotely better, do that first. If you can get in school, do that. It will be an infinitely better choice than this. The national guard is a pretty nice way to make a few extra bucks every month though, and, you do get some opportunities to do some cool things every now and then.

Yeah that was the reason why I consider joining the military. After high school I felt lost like I didn't know where to take my life next. At the time I was going through alot of issues, and I was getting pressured by my family to make something of my life. Things got really stressful and I thought about joining the army.

But your experience in the military sounds like an adventure. I hope things workout for you in the future, best of luck to you man.

#100 Posted by JustKamToo (679 posts) -

When I was young and stupid I pulled out just before I formally enlisted. Thinking about it now I’d only join up again if my country was invaded nothing else. I’m not dying just so you can get cheap oil.